Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2203044 01/30/09 04:45 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I know this should get a couple good responses. I need a good red, beef chili receipt and a really good green chili receipt. I was tempted to go with a posole, but Ma says too many people won't know what it is or eat it.

I'm having some people over on Feb 14th.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
T
T
Sorry in advance but I had no idea what you were asking for when I read your title and your first sentence... I've heard of gas receipts, grocery store receipts, receipts from best buy, etc but I couldn't wrap my brain around a "chili" receipt. Maybe the receipt from Chili's? rotflmao

Sorry, twas funny, at least in my head.

I look forward to some responses, we don't have but could really use a good chili recipe. I haven't had good chili in a LONG time! :MrEEk:

T

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
S
S
Oh Anne, why didn't you just come to me directly? Now you're gonna get a whole lot of responses from people who -think- they know about chili and they're gonna have beans in there, and tomatoes, and someone might even try to pass off ground turkey or some such nonsense...

A little later tonight I will post up my recipe for authentic Texas Red. Don't let anyone else fool you with recipes that include beans, tomatoes, and or fowl.

If it's got any of those things, then it's just stew.

S
S
And just as a fair warning to all who stumble in here, I will brook no alternative ideas w/re to chili. That's whatcha call a very firm boundary. stickout

C
C
Ahem. I beg to differ. MY chili recipe, which I got from my mother, who is from Ohio - yeah, I said it! - actually won my neighborhood's chili cookoff. wink

Mind, there were only three entries, BUT I WON!

S
S
I'm sure it's a very nice stew, cat.

BUT IT AIN'T CHILI! :twobyfour:

stickout

C
C
I get all my receipts from food network. smile Look for the five-star, over 100 review receipts. Don't make ANYTHING from Rachel Ray.

Or, listen to Seabird.

I hear the seabirds don't eat fowl, but I really like a white chili. Yums, wiht jalapenos on top.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
B
B
Dog Breath Chili Ingredients
8 oz Diced green chilies
5 md Medium onions* 36 oz Tomato sauce
2 Green peppers -- seeded* 12 oz Chili powder
6 lg Celery stalks* 2 tb Cumin powder
2 Jalapeno peppers -- seeded* 1 1/2 ts Tobasco
8 Cloves garlic* 1 cn Beer
2 lb Good quality pork sausage 2 qt Water
4 lb Cubed beef 1 tb Salt
4 lb Cubed pork 1 tb Black pepper
60 oz Stewed tomatoes 1 tb Sugar

Instructions for Dog Breath Chili
* dice and saute these ingredients in a mixture 2 tablespoons olive oil and 4 tablespoons vegetable oil. Whew! I feel the kitchen heat from this one. My recipe will make a medium-warm chili. Some folks might consider it hot...it just depends on their experience with chili. If you consider it might be too hot; cut back on the jalapeno pepper and/or the Tobasco. Leave in the chili powder. add meat and brown (I usually brown in a separate large cast iron skillet or dutch oven, drain most of the juices and add to the vegetables. Purists would add all the drippings.) What size servings do you want? This will probably fill 50+ small servings. If you want more, consider increasing proportionally, or (heaven forbid this come from the mouth of a Texan) add beans. add ingredients, cook 3 hours on low heat, and stir every 10-15 minutes to keep bottom ingredients from burning. Up to 3 lbs. dried pinto or kidney beans (soaked overnight) can be added during the last 1/2 hour of cooking, if desired. If you want to thicken the chili, add 1/2 cup mesa flour blended with water to the chili in the last 15 minutes of cooking. Let me know how this turns out. I have won a couple of chili cook-offs with this recipe. However, it has never tasted the same way twice. Cooking with or without the drippings will make a difference in the "richness" of flavor. I choose to drain off the fat to cut back on the saturated fat content. Skim off the fat after cooking. This freezes well.

M
M
This is, bar none, the best chili I have ever had. It has won several cook offs down here. It calls for venison, but I make it with all beef and it comes out great!

Fuzzy's Fantastic South Texas Road Meat Chili [has won chili cookoffs]

Fuzzy Goodhue

Yield: 12 Servings
3 md bell peppers, chopped
3 md onions, chopped
2 fresh jalapenos, deveined &
1 seeded
4 garlic cloves
4 lb chuck, coarsely ground
5 lb venison, coarsely ground
3oz Gephardts chile powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
6 drops tabasco
7 oz green chiles, diced
28 oz stewed tomatoes
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 can beer
water
salt and pepper, To Taste

Chop vegetables. Heat oil in a well-seasoned iron pot. Sizzle the vegetables in the oil a little, then add meat and brown.
Stir in the remaining ingredients, and cover with about one inch of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let it bubble slowly three to four hours. Skim the grease after it's cooked two hours and taste again to adjust the seasoning.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
Oooh, y'all are talking cooking and didn't tell me! LOL

There's TexMex chili and then there's the rest of the country that tries to imitate TexMex chili... And apparently there's Yankees who call stew "chili" *poke* *grin*...

AH BUT THE BEST CHILI OF ALL COMES FROM THE LAND WHERE THEY ASK YOU "RED OR GREEN?"

And it's a condiment.

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
M
M
Originally Posted by Seabird
Oh Anne, why didn't you just come to me directly? Now you're gonna get a whole lot of responses from people who -think- they know about chili and they're gonna have beans in there, and tomatoes, and someone might even try to pass off ground turkey or some such nonsense...

A little later tonight I will post up my recipe for authentic Texas Red. Don't let anyone else fool you with recipes that include beans, tomatoes, and or fowl.

If it's got any of those things, then it's just stew.

Now, I was nodding my head saying, "thats right, hes a TEXAN!" until I got to the tomatoes part!! There are stewed tomaters in Fuzzy Goodhue's chili, which is the STAR CHILI in The Only Texas Cookbook!! shocked

So, I agree with everything except the TOMATERS PART! And I would add for you yankees, YOU CANNOT MAKE CHILI IN A CROCK POT, PEOPLE! crazy Or BBQ brisket! crazy

Carry on my fine fellow Texan friend, Seabird! laugh

God Bless Texas!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Melody's sounds like this one - I think she is just too lady like to give the real recipe.

Ted's

Original !

Texas Road-Kill Chili

Copyright (c) 1992, Ted Rockwell

Ingredients:

4 lbs. fresh road-kill 1 tsp. black pepper
2 beers or 750ml zinfindel 1-3 tsps. oregano
2 Jalapeno peppers (chopped) 1 tbsp. cumin powder
2-4 tbsps. chili powder 1 tbsp. salt
4 cloves crushed garlic 1 16 oz. can Cantadina tomato sauce
1 tbsp. finely chopped green onions 2 tbsps. chopped bell pepper

(This is REAL Chili - - So, No... There Ain't No Beans !)

Grind up 4 pounds of fresh road-kill. (Note: sometimes, due to the condition of the road-kill, grinding up may not be necessary). Just about anything is acceptable (armadillo, rabbit, possum, chicken, unidentified...), but stay away from skunks since their odoriferousnous may have a negative effect on the final result. If you live in an area where there's not much highway traffic, or where urbanization has scared off all the critters and your neighbors keep their pets indoors, then you can use (all) the following meat as a substitute:

2 lbs. ground beef (chili grind)
1 lb. venison (chili grind) .. pork is ok
1 lb. ground Italian sausage
12 oz. Mexican chorrizo sausage

Mix all the meat in a large kettle. If using the "substitute" ingredients above, then cut open the chorrizo wrapping and squeeze out the contents into the mixture of the 4 lbs. of other meats. Brown the meat, stirring occasionally to mix well. Once the meat has browned, add the tomato sauce, beer (or wine) and all of the seasonings. It is a good idea at this early juncture to use only half of the chili pepper and oregano and reserve the rest until later so that you can season to your taste.

Cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook covered for 1 hour, stirring from time to time. Sample for taste, increase seasoning as desired, and cook on low for another hour, stirring occasionally.

Sample again and add additional cumin, chili pepper, oregano, Jalapenos or critters to suit your taste; turn off heat and place in the refrigerator over night. Reheat on the following day and serve. For an especially tasty presentation, serve up in bowls and sprinkle the top with chopped white onions and shredded Monterrey Jack and cheddar cheeses. Feeds 6 to 8. Enjoy!

S
S
Alright, I finally have some time to lay down the law and learn ya'll about some Texas Red.

First of all, do NOT use a premixed chili powder. That store-bought stuff is utter crap and typically has caking agents. I mean, if you like that sort of thing, then go for it. But I prefer to make my own.

Chili Powder:

Mix 3 tbs ancho chili powder, 1 tbs cumin, 1/4 tbs Mexican oregano, and 1/4 tbs garlic powder. Now, if your math is adequate, you'll see that makes 4.5 tbs of chili powder. If you want to make more and store, go ahead. I was trying to use basic proportions. If you have some left over, store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Not the fridge! It will last for several months like this.

Seabird's very own Gawd's Honest Texas Red Chili con Carne:

-3-4 lb tender chuck roast, cubed into 1/4" pieces.
-1 large yella onion, diced evenly
-3 poblano chilis (fire roasted and peeled - instructions below)
-2 scotch bonnet chilis, seeded and finely minced
-1 cup all purpose flour
-4 tbs of Seabird's Very Own Gawd's Honest Texas Red Chili Powder
-3 bottles of Shiner Bock beer
-2 tbs cooking oil

Before you do anything, roast the poblanos over an open flame. Get all sides done until the outside is black and blistered. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Peel away the blistered skin, remove the seeds, and dice the chilis up.

Heat one tbs of oil in a large, heavy pot or dutch oven over med-hi. Dredge the meat in the flour and coat the pieces evenly, and shake off the excess. Start browning the meat in the oil, and sear all sides. Work in batches and add more of the oil if you need to. When all the meat is browned, set aside. Toss in the onion and saute until translucent. Add the diced and minced chilis and continue to saute for a minute. Add the chili powder and mix together with the onion and chilis. Then add the beer one bottle at a time slowly. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up the bits off the bottom of the pot as you add the beer. Once all the beer has been poured in, stir the meat back in. Turn the heat to low (simmer), cover, and let cook for at least an hour and half. Better to go two at least. Stir occasionally.

Best served the next day (be sure to remove the solidified fat off the top before reheating on the stove) with tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Sour cream is acceptable if you're a sissy and can't take the heat.

See? No tomatoes and no beans. stickout

B
B
Thanks for the chili mix recipe. THAT will be helpful.

G
OP Offline
G
I thank you all you, especially you Texans. However, I do expect those in NM and AZ to chime in with a decent green chili.

Seabird, I cannot put Scotch bonnets or habeneros in my chili. Okay, I can, because the flavor is good. But did I ever tell you the story of the night I had to go to bed with my hands packed in ice, and the poison control center threatened to report me?

Melody Lane, I like your receipt a lot. My bro got a deer this year and during my immediate bereavement, offered me a nice venison roast. However, I really don't want to chop it up and put it in stew. I suppose I could check out the Amish butchers near by... What if I substituted lamb or mutton? Would that work instead of venison?

Seabird, I know how deeply committed you are to good chili. I also know now how deeply you'd be hurt if I didn't make a decent one. Maybe we could save a lot of pain by having you Fed Ex a nice fresh batch of your chili up for my party. Problem solved for everyone. smile

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
J
J
I'm not from NM but I've lived there... and XWH lives there...

If you're interested in a NM green chili... the "chili" in NM is a whole different food item, no matter if it's red or green. The chili you get when asked "red or green?" is either a stew or sort of a condiment, poured over your enchilada etc. Either color can be made with chicken or pork or vegetarian, depending on the cook and the day.

One of the two best restaurants in all of NM is Rancho de Chimayo. It's in Chimayo. In a ranch house that used to be called Rancho de Chimayo, go figure! It's hard to find but well worth the effort. I googled and found the following recipe:

Rancho de Chimayo Blue Corn Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili Recipe

But here's another recipe with pork instead of chicken, and it seems more authentic (I don't think the Pueblo Indians had Worcestershire sauce???):
Karen's Classic Old-Fashioned New Mexico Green Chili

But as long as you're doing NM chili you might as well make some red chili also. It's as different from TexMex chili as the green chili is. I found the following site interesting:
Mexican Red Chili Sauce Recipe

Again, this isn't the chili that you eat in a bowl as a meal (usually, unless you make it as a stew); it's poured over enchiladas or what have you.

If they don't ask you "Red or green?" then it ain't NM!

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
M
M
Originally Posted by believer
Just about anything is acceptable (armadillo, rabbit, possum, chicken, unidentified...), but stay away from skunks since their odoriferousnous may have a negative effect on the final result.

faint

Exposure 101

S
S
LOL! I would try, but I can't promise you won't get anything but an empty, greasy box with some crusty chili residue.

And yeah, I get pretty excitable about my chili. If you are afraid of using hot chilis, then sub the two small hot ones with an extra poblano. Those are relatively mild and still add a great flavor. I could live with the idea of adding a little heat after the fact with a splash or two of a flavor neutral hot sauce.

As for the chili powder, you guys might all want to play around with the combinations. Ancho is pretty mild and sweet, so you can tell pretty readily if you like the flavor blend by smell and a very light taste.

S
S
I'm also going to take the opportunity to grandstand and explain WHY I'm such a purist w/re to chili. (Aren't you glad you got me all spun up Anne?)

Chili is a specific dish that was created for a specific reason. It's also why beef is really the only thing that's acceptable.

It began in Texas as a cheap and hearty meal for cowboys and vaqueros who work the cattle trails. You used beef because that's what was available on the drive. The whole name is "chili con carne". Literally, "peppers with beef". You season it with the chilis because they can be dried and packed for travel without going bad. Frijoles (beans) are also a staple, but tradition dictates that they're prepared and served separately. Tomatoes do NOT travel well and back in the day there was no canning, hence the rule against tomatoes.

I'm not saying all the other dishes aren't tasty. They're just not real chili.

Okay, I'm done being a chili nazi now. smile

D
D
Chili w/o beans or tomatoes? Just meat and sauce? Well I call that Sloppy Joe! stickout

I keed I keed!

rotflmao

Ah, I crack myself up grin

DW--BW....separated/divorced since 2003
Re-married 7/09!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,115 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation