Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2218522 02/22/09 06:36 PM
R
Rock__ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Lately my wife has been digging up guys from the past and requesting them as friends on facebook. I don't know if I am just being overprotective, or just overly jealous. What do you think?

Married 23 yrs
WW-46
Me- 47
DD18
DD11
Dday #1 - Oct. 8 2006
Too many other D-Days to remember
Rock__ #2218527 02/22/09 06:45 PM
Q
Q
If your wife has already been involved in an A, then YES, it' a problem and NO you are NOT overreacting.

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
Rock__ #2218529 02/22/09 06:47 PM
B
B
How did you find out about the new friends? Do you have access to her account?

Brokenhusband
Married 12 years
Me 35
DW 33
DD 12
DD 10
DS 8
brokenhusband #2218535 02/22/09 07:08 PM
R
Rock__ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
We have access to each other's accounts.

Married 23 yrs
WW-46
Me- 47
DD18
DD11
Dday #1 - Oct. 8 2006
Rock__ #2218537 02/22/09 07:10 PM
O
O
Being that you list her as a WW with a discovery date back in 2006. It sounds like she has cheated. If she has cheated, you are neither being overprotective or overly jealous. She has cheated in the past and now she is fishing again. You need to confront her. And tell her that her inability in the past to have proper boundaries eliminates her option of collecting male friends on facebook. Tell her:

"don't get me wrong. You can collect them. But just not remain married to me. I am not going to stay awake nights worrying about you and other men friends. And being that you most likely won't lose sleep over not being able to sign up a bunch of guys to your club. I think we need to err on the side of who this will bother most......ME. I am sorry, that because of your past, it limits your friendships, but that's a consequence of the decision you made when you spread your legs for some other guy but me."

Last edited by ouchthathurt; 02/22/09 07:13 PM.
Rock__ #2218538 02/22/09 07:10 PM
Q
Q
Did you ask her?

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
Rock__ #2218541 02/22/09 07:13 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Rug
Lately my wife has been digging up guys from the past and requesting them as friends on facebook. I don't know if I am just being overprotective, or just overly jealous. What do you think?

There was a post about this started by me awhile back.

I actually set up my WW's facebook account with pics, and everything. Then she went and invited a bunch of guy friends from high school.

I honestly don't think she understood that the "friend invite" was the equivalent of a drink at a bar to guys from 20 years ago. And the guys she invited were universally nerdy, unattractive guys. So, natch they flooded her with notes bevcause she had a very cute pic up.

However, I pitched a fit, and she just said "Take it down, I don't care, I don't have time for this."

So, I felt like a controlling jerk.

THEN....she left her Classmates page open, and her mailbox was full of flirts with the OM from a year ago.

So....better safe than sorry. To a wayward, social networking internet stuff can be like booze to a drunk. If you are really recovered just sit her down and tell her it makes you uncomfortable.

Rock__ #2218542 02/22/09 07:15 PM
S
S
Why "Rug" now? Why not "Rock" any more? Don't you think replies could be better targeted if people knew your history?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2218545 02/22/09 07:21 PM
R
Rock__ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I dunno. I guess I just wanted some fresh opinions about my question. Anyone that knows my history would just be biased and jump all over me.

Married 23 yrs
WW-46
Me- 47
DD18
DD11
Dday #1 - Oct. 8 2006
Rock__ #2218551 02/22/09 07:42 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Rug
I dunno. I guess I just wanted some fresh opinions about my question. Anyone that knows my history would just be biased and jump all over me.

Oh. I thought you were feeling walked on and that's why you are Rug. As opposed to solid as a Rock.

Charlotte

Rock__ #2218561 02/22/09 08:10 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Rug
But Rug, surely you can see the utter futility of that approach.

As I understand it, you were hoping that people would see you as a relatively new BH - or at least without the serious problem of recurrent affairs. They might have answered that reaching out to old boyfriends on Facebook is not necessarily the sign of affair behaviour, but must be stopped, that there might be a problem in her making a connection with someone she has had feelings for in the past, that friends should be friends to both of you, that you should vigourously meet her ENs and POJA, practice O&H, put in place EPs and any amount of MB principles, but how would that have helped you? Would that have been any use to your real situation?

From what I can remember without reading your thread again, your wife has had recurrent affairs including a very recent one and she is an alcoholic. She seems to disregard your feelings and do as she pleases. She has actually posted on MB, defended her activities and told everybody to p off out of her business. Aren't those facts that should be known by those taking the trouble to post advice to you? Don't you think they are extremely relevant in working out what she might be up to when she engages in her Facebook activity? How can you possibly hope to get relevant advice when you lie (by omission) about your situation?

Doesn't "fresh opinions" just mean more favourable ones based on ignorance, and doesn't "biased" just mean "informed"?

Why don't you want to hear what people have been telling you for so long?

Rug, I'll tell you something that perhaps has not been said to you before.

Your marriage does not have serious problems, your wife enjoys a harmless drink as we all do from time to time, your children are growing up in a healthy environment and your wife is entitled to her friendships, as all married people are.

Is that advice helpful to you?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
O
O
I read your history. It wasn't ok what you did, It wasn't OK what she did. And it is not OK what she is doing now. No flame just fact. Stop her. You cheated by having an affair. She is a serial cheater. Tell her to end it or get a divorce and go have fun.

ouchthathurt #2218597 02/22/09 09:02 PM
M
M
You're Rock???

Why would you do this? Why would you waste everyone's time here?

I don't know your story, just very small bits and pieces of it. But for crying out loud, I KNOW you have to know that this would NOT be ok by MB standards, and therefore I can't understand WTF you would ask this question...???

You have issues with boundaries, obviously. Why you need everyone here to tell you this is way effed up, I don't know. You obviously already know that, so why play this game?

Honestly, you need to ask yourself that. Read up on boundaries, grow a pair, and then start using them. That's my advice.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
R
Rock__ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Ok, to answer some questions, yes, I felt rug was more appropriate because basically I am a door mat and that wouldn't quite fit in my profile space.
I also tried Rug (formerly Rock), but that didn't fit.
Anyway, I guess I pretty much know the answer, so off I go.
Sorry if I "wasted your time here".

Married 23 yrs
WW-46
Me- 47
DD18
DD11
Dday #1 - Oct. 8 2006
Rock__ #2218869 02/23/09 12:14 PM
S
S
Yes, but Rock,

Why not try and answer the other questions, too?

I didn't feel you were wasting my time, and I would not have spent any time replying if I had (if that makes sense - which it doesn't!) I asked you this:

"How can you possibly hope to get relevant advice when you lie (by omission) about your situation?" because I thought that you were wasting your time attempting deception like this.

Can you see that if people had not worked out who you were, you would have got pointless advice based on misinformation?

Why not update your recovery thread and say what has been going on at home since you discovered a new affair in December? What became of that affair? Has your wife continued her AA meetings (correct me if I'm wrong; I believe she started these)? Do you think that her Facebook activity is anything other than affair behaviour?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2219183 02/23/09 10:26 PM
R
Rock__ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Ok, sorry about the omission about my situation. I guess I didn't put much thought into that.

For anyone who even cares any more, here is an update on my situation. Not much has changed though.
SInce the last discovered affair in December, things have been pretty quiet. I never discovered who this OM really was. I guess it really doesn't matter. I guess he was an old co-worker. Supposedly it wasn't a PA, or at least I was told that. I suppose I'll never know. One thing that upsets me is that she told me that HE ended it. That's nice to know. As far as I know it is over.

My wife's drinking had gotten really bad over the past few months, but she has been sober for the past two weeks. She seems to have been thinking a lot clearer since then.
The problem I have now is her involvement in digging up guys from her past on facebook. Although I keep questioning myself about it all. I don't know if I'm over-reacting or not. To me it seems disrespectful and in a way she seems to be getting her kicks right under my nose. I don't understand the reasoning for becoming involved in these guys from the past, but maybe it's not as bad as I feel. I don't know.

I'm not sure if it's "affair behaviour" or not. It almost seems lke this is her way of getting attention, or her fix, of attention from other guys.
I'm confused.

Married 23 yrs
WW-46
Me- 47
DD18
DD11
Dday #1 - Oct. 8 2006
Rock__ #2219343 02/24/09 09:46 AM
S
S
Rock,

I think it is safe to say that people here care however there is plenty of frustration due to your unwillingness to act. You choose to be a doormat. You choose to allow promiscuity and indiscretion. You choose to stand idly by while your W drinks herself to oblivion.

I think we all know that what your W is doing is at the very least dangerous. It is disrespectful to you and your M. That being said, does it make a difference? Will her behavior or our opinions have any influence on your actions? If not, your question is moot. For you and your girls, I hope you can find the inner strength necessary to change things. You can have a better life with or without Mrs. Rock.

Your choice.

- Sh0cked

Rock__ #2219351 02/24/09 09:56 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by Rock__
The problem I have now is her involvement in digging up guys from her past on facebook. Although I keep questioning myself about it all. I don't know if I'm over-reacting or not. To me it seems disrespectful and in a way she seems to be getting her kicks right under my nose. I don't understand the reasoning for becoming involved in these guys from the past, but maybe it's not as bad as I feel. I don't know.

I'm not sure if it's "affair behaviour" or not. It almost seems lke this is her way of getting attention, or her fix, of attention from other guys.
I'm confused.

Rock, I don't think that with her history it could anything other than affair behaviour.

You know that even without her history she should not be doing this. Without her history you probably would be advised to talk to her, using O&H and no DJs or AOs, firmly stating that her behaviour is harmful to the marriage. If she describes it as innocent, you would be advised to spell out where this "innocence" usually leads and why the behaviour must stop. In a healthy marriage where partners respect each other, there would be no need for an argument or threats, just a firm statement from you of the unacceptability of such behaviour in marriage. A wife who is engaged in her marriage would be willing to end this behaviour.

You wife has affairs in your marriage and is inconsiderate of your or your children's needs.

Are you prepared to do anything about either the Facebook or the overall situation?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SugarCane #2219502 02/24/09 12:19 PM
I
I
Its good that that the last two weeks she has been drink free!! But know this...it is very rare for a person to go cold turkey on their own without AA or similar counceling!!!

As far as the Facebook and her searching for past boyfriends...I would send her a note on Facebook and ask her why she is doing this!! That might scare her back into reality!!

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 700 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation