Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Here is your first post (taken from another thread)

WELCOME !

This is my first time posting, as I have been a lurker for about 1 year. I believe I have been in recovery for the past 11 months. My first D-day (my husband confessed) was april 2006. My husband had a 2 month affair with a married co-worker that lasted 2 months. He agreed to end the affair and do anything to regain my trust and the marriage back. We went to marriage counseling for 1 year which in hindsight we were given terrible advice. I did not know of MB... We were advised that our marriage could be recovered even if he continued to work with her. So stupidly I listened to the advice and did not require my husband to leave his job. Fast forward 1+ year..I thought that we had made it through 1 year. I knew that our marriage was not perfect but we were doing okay. Talked about having our second baby. He was in full agreement to come off birth control. Got pregnant. Found out that the affair never ended when I was 9 weeks pregnant. Ouch!!!! I was blown away to say the least. Felt completely trapped! My husband left me in an awful position. Again at this point I did not have the advantage of knowing the MB principles. I kicked him out of the house and saw a divorce lawyer. She advised me that I was really in a precarious position financially and emotionally. I was 6 months away from having a baby, without the help of my husband, no local family, unable to work for a while, financially strapped etc... My lawyer and financial adviser both encouraged me to try and work things out...Long story/short he returned home. Put his hand on the bible and told me that he ended things for sure this time and swore to having no further contact with her. (At this point she had left his workplace) Of course these were lies. He continued to have his cake.
Finally I was 2 months from my due date. I was at a complete breaking point. I was in shock that I was about to have a baby and my husband was still actively involved in his affair. It was amazing to me that he could give up our marriage and risk bonding with our new baby. I guess he reached rock bottom too when he realized this and finally really ended the affair on the phone in my presence. He left his job. We relocated out of state. He did individual counseling. I have found MB and we have been doing the home study course.

So in hindsight...I wish that I had found MB earlier and learned about Plan A and Plan B. I forgave him too quickly, never required him to leave his job. He convinced me that it would be the demise of his career. Did not realize that it would be the demise of our marriage. I gave him the benefit of the doubt way too many times. I believed he could not possibly be having an affair while I was pregnant. Even when I knew things did not seem right I did not press him enough or snoop enough. He was often vague about details of his day. Got annoyed when I asked too many questions. All big red flags. Also, I did not expose enough. I was afraid of his anger. Looking back I cannot believe how naive I was. I was always the one talking in marriage counseling. He would agree most of the time that I was right and he would try to do better in the future but would never change his actions. He would talk a good game but no real commitment. No vulnerability with regards to his emotions.

So in about 2 weeks we will hit our 1 year mark with NC (as far as I know). As I have said we moved out of sate but prior to our move she attempted contact through phone calls to his work phone. He would allow me to listen to the messages. That lasted for the first month after his NC phone call. Our baby is now 9.5 months and he can't imagine what life would have been like if he continued in the affair. He would have missed the birth and many special bonding moments that only a live-in father would have. He says that it makes him sick. I think he is sincere and my gut tells me that this is a real recovery but there is always a lingering thought of WHAT IF.... What if I am still an idiot? I don't think so but I hope that feeling goes away some day.
Sorry if my story is not very organized but I am trying to summarize a period of about 3 years.

(me) BW-36
WH-35
3 yo and 9 month old
1st dday 4/19/06
2nd dday 10/12/07
3rd dday 2/4/08
NC 3/4/08
In recovery

P
OP Offline
P
We were advised that our marriage could be recovered even if he continued to work with her. So stupidly I listened to the advice and did not require my husband to leave his job.

If there was any stupidity here, it was the advice-giver's, not yours.

P
OP Offline
P
Tell us about OW.
Was she married or single?
Did you ever expose to her H if she was married?

A
A
The OW and my husband were friends. I met her prior to the affair. I actually liked her! She was sweet to my daughter when I stopped by the workplace. Can't believe someone could be so cruel. The affair started when my oldest was only 9 months old....a very vulnerable time for a marriage. Her husband found out first and threatened to expose to me. My husband beat him to the punch. She and her husband divorced shortly after the affair was out in the open. They have 2 kids too. She was relentless with her pursuit of my husband. Wanted him to initiate a divorce while I was pregnant. Again, amazed at her cruelty. She claimed that they were deeply in love and basically she justified the affair because of this. Told my husband that her kids were fine despite the divorce and ours would be too. She tried to convince him that he could be a good father to the new baby and continue the affair...

Me: BW 36
FWH: 35
2 kids (4 yrs and 11 mos)
Dday #1 4/06
Dday #2 10/07
NC 3/08
In recovery
P
OP Offline
P
Trust but verify...

watch the phone records
check his cell phone
put a keylogger on his home computer
trust your gut

and, again, WELCOME - keep posting

A
A
What stinks is that I know if he wanted to re-ignite the affair, he could. He now works at a place that has security. I can't pop in if I want to. I could not do a keylogger on his computer as it is secured through his work ID. In the past he used a secret phone that had pre-paid minutes. He could make phone calls from his work phone too. So unfortunately as I said I will just never know WHAT IF.... My gut in the past has been reliable so that is what I am going on mostly now.

Dday #1 4/06
Dday #2 10/07
NC 3/08
In recovery
P
OP Offline
P
Start squirrelling your own money away somewhere.

If you ever become suspicious

A. hire a PI and have H followed (especially if H ever has out of town trips)

B. place a voice activated recorder under his car seat (will capture one side of phone conversations)

C. put a GPS under his car (keep a notebook of his milage and where he says he's going - if the math seems wrong - GPS his vehicle)

H
H
What stinks is that I know if he wanted to re-ignite the affair, he could.

yes that is true... a reality... a reality with all of our fws... I would think if my fwh did it again- he'd be better at hiding it... you know practice makes perfect kinda thing... it's a scary thought- at least for me

anyway... don't forget to check the money flow... ask him for his passwords on this cell AND desk phone- then check it randomly...

is he still working with the OW??

what has he done to show you he has not re-ignited the A?

BS-me 40y
FWH-41y
DDay-11-30-06
DS-18y
DS-12y
DS-6y
Married December 1992
I
I
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Start squirrelling your own money away somewhere.

If you ever become suspicious

A. hire a PI and have H followed (especially if H ever has out of town trips)

B. place a voice activated recorder under his car seat (will capture one side of phone conversations)

C. put a GPS under his car (keep a notebook of his milage and where he says he's going - if the math seems wrong - GPS his vehicle)

Sounds good to me!

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams -Yeats
D
D
Sorry you are here.

Snoop your tail off! If you cannot keylog his computer, then get really serious with voice activated recorder in his car, and maybe even in his office.

If he's got a smartphone (blackberry, palm, etc.) then check out flexispy.com. Wonderful software...I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Verify everything he does. And ask for passwords, etc. to create transperency.

Again, sorry you are here. TAke care and be strong.

D-Papers served May 8th, 2009
A
A
I have all passwords to computers/emails, voicemails and I check them randomly. In the past he would get annoyed when I would check his stuff but now he never minds when I check up on him because it is a chance to prove he is being H and O. My issue is that I had those PW' in the past but the majority of their phone calls were on work phones. I have no access to his work phone. I have his voicemail PW but he can have live conversation without my knowledge.
The steps he has taken since the NC phone call include:
-told me about secret email account
-told me about secret phone
-changed jobs which was huge for him. He loved his job and great place for his career path. His new job pays more (allows me to be stay at home mom) but he does not like it as much.
-relocated to another state
-individual counseling for him
-doing MB home study course

In the past I always sensed that something was not adding up. He would say the right things but he always seemed a little distant. Not emotionally vulnerable. Never put his intents into real action. He is different this time. But again, I hope it is not just a matter of practice makes perfect. I will continue to hold his feet to the fire and snoop.
If it turns out that he never ended the affair, once again, at least I am in a better situation financially. I have been fortunate to be able to stay home with my 2nd daughter for her first 9 months of her life. Whereas if I had ended the marriage prior to her birth I would have had to return to work right away and would have been financially strapped. At the very least I have bought myself time and a chance to recover. Worst case scenario I am in a FR. Not sure what I will do if that is the case.

Dday #1 4/06
Dday #2 10/07
NC 3/08
In recovery
H
H
Hi Ashes, you H has made some good efforts. Stay on top of this.

As for his business work phone, I was able to track my H's work phone. I borrowed his and said I was having trouble with mine. I went onto the cell phone site that the service was on.

Registered the phone and then had them send the temporary password to his cellphone. Took it off of his phone, deleted the message and was able to access his work phone and discovered the 100s of calls he was making to the OW.

You will get good support here.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
A
A
Thanks for all of the advice. Posting has been helpful. Good to have support from people who have gone through this.

Dday #1 4/06
Dday #2 10/07
NC 3/08
In recovery
J
J
How did you accomplish this? My H's work cell is through Verizon and we can access it through their website but I cannot get a monthly list of calls..... frown

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
(Confirmed by polygraph that it had not gone PA)
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
S
S
I noticed that your husband is now posting asking for advice to help you feel more secure. It is very helpful to hear your side of the story. I posted some ideas to him before I read your previous posts. I hope what I posted to him helps.

Over it.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation