Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 95 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 94 95
L
OP Offline
L
I'm amped. H will be home in about 3 hours. While I love my kids and appreciate their friends that are over here now (it's a teacher work day), I'm very much looking forward to having a quiet home and my H in my arms.

flirt grin flirt

Even though H will probably want to sleep for the next two days. But I can do that.

Gotta go get ready...

Me (FWW): 45
BH: 46
M: 11/94
PA: 2/08 (4 mos)
Confessed: 10/08
DS10
DD8
L
OP Offline
L
First, I must comment on this...

Originally Posted by optin1
Your husband on the other hand, may not have been perfect, but is truely the man you want to be with.
Yes he is. And I'm doing what I can to help H know that.

I hope I'm succeeding.

O
O
Originally Posted by Looking4
Interesting conversation that has come of this, from my little "I'm not diggin' this" moment last night.

Let me get something straight right now.

Originally Posted by ottert
But, something about you describing your FOM like you did above bothers me. Is it healthy for your recovery to remember all these wonderful qualities about him and to write them down? Isn't it best just to not think about him at all, and especially try to forget anything that attracted you to him?
I understand your concerns, ottert. And thought that myself last night after I re-read this post. I probably should have qualified it then, but thought it made sense in the context that it was written.

I do not long for FOM nor do I sit and ponder his favorable qualities. I was using all of the positive adjectives in the context I did (as you noted) for the point about affairing down. Did I forget to mention he was also selfish, cold, disgusting, two-faced, selfish, manipulative, dishonorable, kniving, selfish, greedy, inconsiderate, slimey, and did I mention selfish?

And so was I.

I have occasional contact with people who also know FOM. His name has come up since many know we were good friends and worked closely as managers back in the day. I'll get "Do you ever hear from FOM, L4?" and "How's FOM doing, L4?" and it's still always asked with a tone of reverence for the guy. While it stings me because I want to scream how FOM wasn't that wonderful after all back in the day, I have to remember that whatever I can think of him was also true of me. So while I want to say, "He's not as fantastic as you think he is," that was then and from my experience I know people can change -- snap out of it and try to become better. So I dismiss the comment, change the subject, and forget about it.

If you remember, my H and the FOM's BW and FOM were in contact immeidately after my confession, which was 4 months after their own D-day. H shared with me then that FOM and BW are working hard to save their M. I have to admit it helped me to know that they were trying -- that I couple I directly hurt was working hard to forgive each other and me, and moving forward as a couple, as H and I are now doing. I have no idea how they are doing or what they are doing since, and I do not dwell on it at all. I hate to see any M dissolve due to lack of effort so hooray for any couple that can recover after betrayal.

L4

Thanks for the clarification. I believe you when you say you don't think fondly of him and yes, I figured you had some choice descriptions of the OM from the other end of the spectrum.

Still, I think it's unwise to let those characteristics of the OM stay in your brain for even a nanosecond. I can't imagine your husband would want to know you remember any of his good qualities.

It hurts like crazy that my wife thinks her ex-fiance, who she emailed behind my back after 20+ years of NC, is a great guy. Her memories of him are that he was "always kind and sweet" to her.

Well, he wasn't very kind or sweet to me or his wife while he was emailing my wife and telling her he still loved her and had thought about her often all these years. He did this to a married woman and behind his wife's back.

That my wife thinks anything positive about a man who would do that is hurtful and infuriating, and they didn't even have a PA (unless you want to count the 3 years they had SF while dating and engaged. I know it really doesn't count, but in the context of their recent contact, it hurts almost the same). There was only a brief, 3-day EA by email (still unconfessed as EA by my W), but I won't even speak his name when we discuss the situation. I can't bring myself to humanize him.

Before my Christian brothers and sisters jump on me for not blessing those who persecute me, I have prayed for him and his marriage. It's one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do, but I've done it.

I don't mean to wallow in my relatively minor situation on your thread L4, but I thought it would help to know where I'm coming from and why the post in question bothered me.

Me - 45
Her - 47
Married - 23 yrs
4 chillun: D18,D14,S12,D9
Separated since March, 2010
Divorce proceeding

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by ottert
I don't mean to wallow in my relatively minor situation on your thread L4, but I thought it would help to know where I'm coming from and why the post in question bothered me.
Most certainly share and thank you for doing so.

And wallowers are always welcome on my thread. The wallowier the better. Though on a "good" day, no one can out-wallow me. wink

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by black_raven
LOL LG

Mark is gonna get you. :gobblegobble:
<drumming fingers, waiting for the comeback...>

L
OP Offline
L
You write so well, rubydoo. Thank you for using your talents here for my benefit.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by black_raven
I like you and would pound down some Jamocha Almond Fudge ice cream with you. smile
Name the time and place. I'll bring the bowls and spoons.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by MutedSparkle
BTW.......I bunked with a prostitute when I was in the joint and I will tell you that there was a VERY DISTINCT difference between the two of us. wink
I'm sorry that I laughed at your expense, but this made me giggle -- picturing you hanging "in the joint" with your bunkmate...

M
M
Originally Posted By: black_raven
LOL LG

Mark is gonna get you. :gobblegobble:
<drumming fingers, waiting for the comeback...>
Not from me surely...

Mark

L
L
Hey L4,

I have met you, I think your pretty cool. I would even hang out with you again, especially if shocking the socks of the neighbouring tables is on the agenda flirt rotflmao

Anyone calls you a name, let me at 'em
hug

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
M
M
Originally Posted by MutedSparkle
BTW.......I bunked with a prostitute when I was in the joint and I will tell you that there was a VERY DISTINCT difference between the two of us. wink
I'm sorry that I laughed at your expense, but this made me giggle -- picturing you hanging "in the joint" with your bunkmate...

"Ummm, yeahhhhhhhh. Good times......good gated community times." grin

I'll tell ya about some the conversations we had sometime!

B
B
I'm amped. H will be home in about 3 hours. While I love my kids and appreciate their friends that are over here now (it's a teacher work day), I'm very much looking forward to having a quiet home and my H in my arms.

flirt grin flirt

Even though H will probably want to sleep for the next two days. But I can do that.

Gotta go get ready...

Hope your weekend was good L4. My hubby was gone most of the week and I was one happy lady to have him back home. He was a happy camper too. flirt

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
Mrs. Flint. Thank you again for coming here at my request.

Originally Posted by Mrs_Flint
I think low self esteem causes the majority of affairs...
I credit this for helping me lower my boundaries.

It had to have been hell for him to be trying to make a marriage work and not even know what was wrong...
Where our H's differ. Pre-A, H didn't pay attention and despite my begging for it, he put little effort into making our M work. Not that I had the answers. I may have not been doing the right things to make it work either (no idea about LBs and ENs), but I voiced a desire to try. I didn't even get that from H.

Jim found MB and he began following it step by step. In the beginning it was me getting dragged kicking and screaming that NO I WON'T AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!
What were you afraid of?

I had happily numbed myself to the marriage. I had to do that to be able to do what I did. Beginning MB would mean having to engage in the marriage again which meant I could be hurt again.

The funny thing was I saw Jim changing right before my eyes. He learned to LISTEN to ALL I had to say and to help me address my issues which were largely self esteem issues. He also learned to be an even better husband from the information on MB.
Is Jim usually the pro-active one in your relationship? Does he jump in first as I do?

We have both learned to be pro-active in the marriage. Jim has a take charge kind of personality that he is usually the leader and did find MB for us. smile

HE DEMANDED THAT WE DO MARRIAGE BUILDERS TOGETHER OR HE WAS DONE.
BS's have the right to demand this of WS's as part of any chance at healing. I am in no position to ask, let alone demand my spouse do this.

Yes and no. Your BH has the right to divorce you or to see if the changes you are making are permanent or simply a ruse on your part to get him back. He does not have the right to abandon the marriage permanently! If he refuses to engage you in the marriage after a reasonable length of time I would negotiate a date with him to begin counseling with someone mutually agreeable to you or I would begin looking at life without him. It is not even close to that time for you because your heart is still in it however it is not marriage at all costs and abandonment of the marriage and refusal to love me would be too much for me to take.

I think that is one thing your husband still has not processed...and why he is afraid of commiting to you. He doesn't understand the reasons for the affair
How can I help him understand?

...and doesn't understand how your marriage can be affair proofed through MB.
He mocks MB. He knows it's important to me and is fine with me doing it, but he disses it when he can. Along with IC and MC.

Your husband doesn't REALLY know why it happened so how does he prevent it again. That really is a horrible position to be in...
I've told him. Over and over. As everyone here has told me and as Dr. Harley has told me to do. I don't know how else to do this.

As I mentioned above, the need for him to engage in the marriage after a reasonable length of time is necessary not only for his respect of you but also for your sanity. Your children will grow up without a mother because of what it will do to you emotionally and healthwise if he refuses to engage with you in the marriage. He will never understand how your low self esteem caused this without someone to show him. It is not there yet but it may come down to a showdown with him, either counseling and engage in the marriage or we may not make it.

The reason, and correct me if I'm wrong, is because you wanted the ego boost from someone, not that you wanted to ride off into the sunset with them. Just like me. Am I right?
Yes and no. I needed an ego boost, most definitely. A boost of something as my self esteem was pretty stinkin' low. I wanted to feel desireable, admired, attractive, smart... I needed to feel better. I may have ridden off into the sunset if FOM had asked when I was in the thick of it. It was never going to happen even if FOM's BW and my H kicked us both to the curb. Neither of us would ever live away from our kids and FOM and I live states apart, and we have some strong fundamental differences in lifestyle. I didn't allow myself to think it was possible because it wasn't, but I thought I was in love with FOM and would fantasize about being a couple. Yes. Disturbing.

Did you notice the contradictions in your statement? Yes, I thought at one time I would ride off with him, then I knew I never would because of kids, family, etc. It's all fantasy isn't it? Tell yourself anything to make the low self esteem go away. Even that I loved him, right? You and I both know if that had been the case we would have found a way and just left. We didn't.

Jim and I knew we had always loved each other and that the reason for the affair was low self esteem and lack of boundaries on my part. These were big factors in mine as well. It was never because I did not want to be with him.
I wanted to be with H, but didn't believe he wanted to be with me. Once I accepted that H didn't care (my unfair DJ, not H's truth), I determined that in fact I didn't want to be with H. 'I deserved to be with someone who wants me to be happy,' I told myself. During one discussion when I flat out told H that I was unhappy, H stated, "Well I'm happy so it's your problem." I changed my thinking about my M and my hopes for it upon hearing that single sentence.

At one time I thought I deserved to lose him.
I still feel this way about H.

It may happen. It does matter though what you are doing about it. Being the wife any man could be proud of is the start. Showing him how to forgive you is next and you to forgive him. You first.

By dealing directly with those issues through MB and following the program ESPECIALLY RADICAL HONESTY we no longer had the underlying reasons present that people divorce for.
H has never had a problem with RH. I obviously did. Though H would withold stuff. We both would.

That is not radical honesty. That is lying by omission! Failure to answer questions is still lying.

But it started the day of my confession when Jim heard me tell him I had betrayed him with his own brother for years... and held me while I sobbed and he said "Alright, now we get to work" I knew my cowboy and I would make it. smile
Still makes my eyes water.

The very proud to be, Mrs. Flint.
You should be. You should be very proud about who you are too, Mrs. Flint.

Thank you. smile

So all of this leads me to ask...

Do you think you would be recovered as you are without both of you participating in MB?

The short answer is no.We had tried many different counselors and none of them would deal with the issues of my low self esteem and my withdrawal from the marriage. Jim also learned how to listen to me which was absolutely huge. smile

Would you be together if you did MB but Mr. Flint didn't? Or if only he did it?

No, because the problem isn't only one person. It's both of you. That is why you must continue to show your husband you can be a fantastic wife, because there may come a time when you have to give him a choice. If he continues to refuse to go to counseling with you and to engage in the marriage it will eventually destroy your soul. Dr. Harley knows that a person can only go so long with Plan A (which is more or less what you are trying to do by showing your husband you can be a great wife) without seeing some kind of reciprocal gesture from their spouse. You want your husband to see what a great wife you can be and the marriage that will be possible with counseling. If he refuses to engage and participate in the marriage it will be up to you what you can live with and for how long.

By the way, I think you are doing great! Just remember to post because everyone here is pulling for you and we worry when you don't check in. frown

hug

Mrs.Flint

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you, Mrs. Flint. Your kindness and the words of your truth mean more than you'll ever know. Especially today. You are a blessed woman to have the M that I know you've worked hard for, and I am blessed to have had your time.

L
OP Offline
L
JohnsTwin,

Thank you so much for your message last week. It really touched me that you reached out as you did. I actually saved it and have referred to it a few times since. Sorry I didn't get back to you but didn't think I needed to.

Thanks for your kindness and for your friendship.

-L4

L
OP Offline
L
I hope it was a great weekend for you, B_R. Nice to have them home, isn't it.

And thank you for hanging out around here. I appreciate it.

L
L
L4:

Was the return home a diasater?

Nothing all weekend, and now.... 2 line answers?

think think

And... Go check oot cohosalmon's thread in GQII. I think you can help.

And I mean that.

And, if you REALLY want to have some fun, check out my "curtains for LG" thread. I pulled it up. It on paqge 2 or 3.

Its OK.

We understand.

LG

L
OP Offline
L
Always perfect timing, LG. You do know that I value your posts, don't you? Thanks for drawing my attention to your curtains thread.

L
OP Offline
L
I had a rough weekend. Culminating in an argument last night that had H using sarcasm, DJs, and an AO in front of our kids. It wasn't violent, but it was hurtful and I stayed quiet because of the children. H got up and left the room. As we put kids to bed, I asked H if we could please talk later as this weekend wasn't one of our better ones. He ignored me and instead of coming to talk to me downstairs, he went to bed without saying goodnight and he KNOWS how I feel about him retiring for the day without letting me know.

This morning H emailed to me a lot of things, and paramount among them is he is uncomfortable with my doing MB. He said he knows it is helping me (I wish he understood this also benefits our M), but because it takes place on the computer, I think it makes him uncomfortable since that's how FOM and I carried on our A last year. I have to do my job on the computer and must email via computer and I communicate with him by computer when he travels. I also try to respect his concerns and get on it only when he's otherwise occupied. But he is threatened by MB, despite having never once looked at it and despite knowing it's the only thing I'm doing now to help me in my processing and recovery. (I'm not doing any IC, no MC, no pastor visits...)

So now I have to put the POJA into play and hope I can negotiate to some sort of satisfactory place for both of us. I may be back tomorrow. Maybe next week. Who knows. But I have to honor my H and help him heal. If working on MB makes him uncomfortable, I have to respect that, right?

Besides, after the response I got on another thread, I'm doing little good for WWs who want to become FWWs. And based on the deliberate wording used on another post that I'm pretty certain was an homage to my labels rant, I'm also offering no insight that deserves merrit for some BSs, so I need to vacate for a bit. (I wish I could give proper credit for the "sex worker" poster -- really I do. But I forgot the name of the post. I wish people would just call 'em what the are -- an adultress or infidel or cheater or home-wrecker or person-I-hate-with-everything-in-me. But that would take the sport out of it, I guess. FWWs have no feelings. A battle I accept I'll never make any ground on.)

I'm not doing much good for my H, FWS, nor BSs so I need to step aside momentarily and focus on people whom I believe I can still impact and that's my kids. I've not given up on my M. Not at all. I just need to step back and see if there is anything more I can do without losing myself and any hope I might still have.

I love you guys so much. Mrs. Wondering, Ace, Mark, Imagine, RubyDoo, eeyoree, Vittoria, ArmyMama, TheRoad, BigK, Sparkalina, Black-Raven, JohnsTwin, Lil, LG, ottert, optin1, The Flints (mwah!), StayTogether, JohnsTwin, smu, RooGirl, 6YearsLeft, Queenie, and others... I cherish and respect y'all more than you'll ever know. More than you will EVER know.

hug all around!

I'm sure I'll be back. I just need to go to the park for a bit.

(Love your guts, V. wink )

Me (FWW): 45
BH: 46
M: 11/94
PA: 2/08 (4 mos)
Confessed: 10/08
DS10
DD8
M
M
L4,

Ignoring the "other thread" stuff for the moment...

Would your husband be willing to let you remain at MB if he is given the opportunity to read anything you have written at any time?

Have you been able to explain any of what you have learned by being here?

But you are correct, only POJA will work for this.

As for the other stuff...

I'll give you my thoughts sometime, but now is not the time.

BTW, LG's suggestion for you to post to Coho is something I agree with. But of course if you aren't going to be around...

Mark

Page 38 of 95 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation