Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
Lie2me Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Goldie did windows

Me BS (41)
DD 10
DD 8
WW - The big D
"Don't say sorry, just don't do it again"
Dealan-de #2236015 03/27/09 05:55 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
"recycled" toilet paper.

Ew

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
Lie2me #2236017 03/27/09 06:02 PM
L
L
Alan, sorry for trhe T/J, I'll try to be brief

Originally Posted by Delan
Great info. I try to be opened minded about many things, but I am super careful about most things my family ingests.

Are you saying that if I specifically go out to buy meats and dairy that advertise they are hormone free, I could be wasting my $$. Cos let me tell you, organic and hormone free items are freaking KILLING me at the grocery. I love supporting it...but geez! And to feed a family of 6 full time is just about breaking the bank.

The chemicals in our food chain are harmful, I don't deny that, however they are not responsible for the early physical maturing of our youth. I personally don't get excited over organics mostly because in NZ nearly everything is organic anyway, not to mention as a farmer I have some serious issues with the health care or the 'organically farmed' animals.

Hormones are also not routinely added to animal food, and requires specilized licencing. The only hormonally grown cattle I know of in NZ is specifically grown to order, for an american group and can only be slaughtered in one pack house in NZ and all of the by-products are specially disposed of.

I can talk about eostrogen mimic-ers and what not, but that would be a MASSIVE jack.

lildoggie #2236038 03/27/09 06:28 PM
L
Lie2me Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Don't be brief,

I am getting gret info here on many things,

Welcome to my open house.

All my friends are welcome and all conversations are welcome.

Everyone in the pool, the waters great.

Me BS (41)
DD 10
DD 8
WW - The big D
lildoggie #2236061 03/27/09 07:27 PM
V
V
Originally Posted by lildoggie
Hormones are also not routinely added to animal food, and requires specilized licencing.
Agree and disagree lil.

I know that there is a small dose of growth hormone in calf starter, for a boost. After that our animals are fed corn, beans and greens all natural.

The hosp. where I work, they do a fair bit of plastic surgery. The plastic guys see a lot of breast reductions in young women. Their feeling was, through research, that the hormones fed specifically to chickens has contributed to early menses and large breasts. Just FYI smile

I do know that the poultry industry puts many batches through in a year, and they are known to pump the feed with hormones.
Chicken in moderation.

Actually, it's all about balance anyway, isn't it? That's how I excuse all of my vices. laugh

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

Vittoria #2236065 03/27/09 07:39 PM
L
L
Hey Vittoria,

I can honestly swear, that in NZ there are NO GROWTH HORMONES in cattle food, outside of the small group I mentioned. We dont give our calves starter foods either, most calves are reared on colostrum and waste milk, then onto grass, straw and a little meal for rumen developement.

Same for poulty. NZ has very stringent controls on animal feeding. Agriculture makes up for 70% of our export earnings and our image is very carefully protected.

lildoggie #2236070 03/27/09 07:45 PM
K
K
....and they all taste yummy!!

KiwiJ #2236072 03/27/09 07:50 PM
K
K
Changing the subject slightly, oh okay, changing the subject A LOT, my H brought home "Joy of Cooking" for me last night from our bookstore. Apparently, it's been the "cooking bible" for American cooks since 1931. The story of how it came about is fascinating but I won't go into that here.

Wow, it's a fascinating read (I have the updated 2007 version). So much of our food is SO similar. In fact I'm going to cook one of the chicken recipes tonight.

It even has a recipe for how to clean your own snails (from the garden) to eat and I have a feeling that would turn the stomachs of most Americans, not just me. When they got to "clean the slime off" I stopped reading. It's like all those old cookbooks, you can't say "ew, is this what people eat?", they cover everything. I have NZ cookbooks that tell you that heart is good eatin'. Not in my neck of the woods. rotflmao

lildoggie #2236078 03/27/09 08:14 PM
V
V
Originally Posted by lildoggie
Hey Vittoria,

I can honestly swear, that in NZ there are NO GROWTH HORMONES in cattle food, outside of the small group I mentioned. We dont give our calves starter foods either, most calves are reared on colostrum and waste milk, then onto grass, straw and a little meal for rumen developement.

Same for poulty. NZ has very stringent controls on animal feeding. Agriculture makes up for 70% of our export earnings and our image is very carefully protected.
Actually I should have mentioned it in my post ... I know your guidelines are much stricter than what they are here.
You guys way down there are where we should be. OOPs, I prolly shouldn't say that too loud. naughty

Kiwi, the Joy of Cooking .... is that a partner to Joy of Sex ???? I hope the food is better looking in your book than the couple in the other book. wink

I don't know how you managed to read even half about the snails. puke I pick them out of my garden religiously, always with gloves on, can't even imagine eating them. Slidin' down my throat ..... ewwwww

FYI .... heart is supposed to be very good for you, we have it pre- ground into our hamburger, can't even tell it's there. grin

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

Vittoria #2236079 03/27/09 08:16 PM
K
K
It's funny, Vittoria, but I now get why the Joy of Sex was called that. It's an "ironic" use of an American icon. You learn something new every day.

KiwiJ #2236093 03/27/09 09:05 PM
L
Lie2me Offline OP
OP Offline
L
grinI like Beer crazy

Me BS (41)
DD 10
DD 8
WW - The big D
Lie2me #2236097 03/27/09 09:25 PM
L
Lie2me Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Well here we go,

Went to Petland with a friend of mine and picked out two male Cavie's. I got the English shorthair breed. Not that I had a choice.

I was amazed, they are much like a hamster to take care of, although they need a larger cage.

The fun part right now is watching the cats, either they want to play with the Cavies or they are looking for a bed time snack naughty

I would love to name them but I will wait untill the girls get home.

They are very cute.

Me BS (41)
DD 10
DD 8
WW - The big D
Lie2me #2236189 03/28/09 06:44 AM
S
S
Just want to let you know, Lie2me, that you sound like a fantastic dad. Your girls are very lucky to have you.

Me - BW
FWH - BB -(PA Jul 08 - Aug 08)
D-Day - 8 Aug 2008
Recovering nicely

L
Lie2me Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you for that, I try to be a good dad.

Me BS (41)
DD 10
DD 8
WW - The big D
Lie2me #2236846 03/29/09 08:53 PM
L
Lie2me Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Does this happen to all guy's or is it just me? I have become a much more emotional man, I never used to cry in a movie, yet I just noticed today that the samllest thing can bring a tear to my eye!

Don't laugh but I cried during Cheaper by the Dozen.

Whats up with that.

I don't know if anyone remebers the movie The other side of the Mountain, I remember watching that and my mother, both my sisters were crying thier eyes out amd my dad and I were just amazed.

I never saw my dad cry, ever, so what is going on.

Any ideas?

Me BS (41)
DD 10
DD 8
WW - The big D
Lie2me #2236879 03/29/09 10:14 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Lie2me
Does this happen to all guy's or is it just me? I have become a much more emotional man, I never used to cry in a movie, yet I just noticed today that the samllest thing can bring a tear to my eye!

Don't laugh but I cried during Cheaper by the Dozen.

Whats up with that.

I don't know if anyone remebers the movie The other side of the Mountain, I remember watching that and my mother, both my sisters were crying thier eyes out amd my dad and I were just amazed.

I never saw my dad cry, ever, so what is going on.

Any ideas?

Yeah,

I am the same exact way. I think it has to do with your living guts being ripped out of your chest, then you had to reach out, grab them and stuff them back in and try to move on with your life.

Nothing will ever be the same again i think.

L
Lie2me Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I do think you are spot on. Nothing will ever be the same and perhaps thats a good thing.

Change is great, we are just so scared of it most of the time.

Me BS (41)
DD 10
DD 8
WW - The big D
KiwiJ #2237061 03/30/09 08:48 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by KiwiJ
Changing the subject slightly, oh okay, changing the subject A LOT, my H brought home "Joy of Cooking" for me last night from our bookstore. Apparently, it's been the "cooking bible" for American cooks since 1931. The story of how it came about is fascinating but I won't go into that here.

Wow, it's a fascinating read (I have the updated 2007 version). So much of our food is SO similar. In fact I'm going to cook one of the chicken recipes tonight.

It even has a recipe for how to clean your own snails (from the garden) to eat and I have a feeling that would turn the stomachs of most Americans, not just me. When they got to "clean the slime off" I stopped reading. It's like all those old cookbooks, you can't say "ew, is this what people eat?", they cover everything. I have NZ cookbooks that tell you that heart is good eatin'. Not in my neck of the woods. rotflmao

I saw Julia Childs' kitchen in the Smithsonian week before last.

I cried.

Her Joy of Cooking cookbooks are JUST as careworn and loved and spattered as mine are.

(sniff)

I miss her.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
Lie2me #2237066 03/30/09 08:54 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by Lie2me
Well here we go,

Went to Petland with a friend of mine and picked out two male Cavie's. I got the English shorthair breed. Not that I had a choice.

I was amazed, they are much like a hamster to take care of, although they need a larger cage.

The fun part right now is watching the cats, either they want to play with the Cavies or they are looking for a bed time snack naughty

I would love to name them but I will wait untill the girls get home.

They are very cute.

My cavies are King Henry and Sir Hamecelot (Hammy)

What did you name yours?

If you do a wiki search for them, there is lots of useful info there. Facebook also has quite a few guiena pig clubs.

Any apple or pear cores you don't eat you can throw in their cage and they will take care of for you. Any salad waste (w/out dressing) that you don't compost (because you DO compost, right?) can go to the cavies except onion or potato (those are poisonous to the little buggers).

Give them something with vitamin C in it a few times a week. I usually cut up an orange or give them a few strawberries.

They are disposals with fur...and sound SO much better than a disposal!

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
Dealan-de #2237390 03/30/09 04:17 PM
L
Lie2me Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We have Bert and Ernie,

and thanks for the onion and potato info, I had no idea.

As for composting, well no we don't.

Me BS (41)
DD 10
DD 8
WW - The big D
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation