Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
We were bringing the boys back from my parents' house at the time. I had left all the lights turned off - not because of Earth Hour, but because I'm cheap and want to save money on electricity.

Besides, Al Gore left all his lights on...

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
P
P
I turned on ALL the lights in the house, left the doors open with the AC on and flushed the commodes for an hour straight. laugh

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
D
D
P - are you related to my kids?

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
D
D
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
Originally Posted by aussieswife
never heard of it over here. confused

we turn out lights because the power bills are so high. faint

We do the same in the almost summer (b/c Texas has 4 seasons - almost summer, effing summer, a little summer, and notso summer).

We changed EVERY stinking lightbulb to CFLs when we moved. For our 2,800 sq. ft. home, we have not had an electric bill over $62 yet.

By this time next year, we hope to be selling our unused energy back to the electric company. Wind/solar power, here we come!

Right on!!! One of these days I'm going to get there, too.

Yeah, I enjoyed Earth Hour. I sat next to the tub with 2 candles and read a true crime novel about a triple murder in Houston in the 1970's called, "The Cop Who Wouldn't Quit."

I think it's great to do things like this...far from being a "token gesture" these events serve to make a lot of people more aware of the world around them...especially since it's such a "me me me" world and folks--especially here in America--are trained to "consume consume consume" and not give much thought to the big picture.

Every little bit helps.

Charlotte

G
G
My brother-in-law did one better - He turned on all his lights, started the cars and turned on the car alarms! What can I say?

M 30 years
St. Joseph restore the sanctity of marriage.
D is not the answer.
D
D
DM - HEB has the CFLs where you buy one pack, get one for $1.

Thought you'd like to know.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

My Story

Recovered!
D
D
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
DM - HEB has the CFLs where you buy one pack, get one for $1.

Thought you'd like to know.

Way cool! Thank you! I need to stock up. I have lights burned out now that I refuse to put regular incandescent bulbs in, LOL!

Heck, I don't even have any of those anymore!

Charlotte

B
OP Offline
B
Saw this headline -

Dubai saves 146,000 kWh of power in Earth Hour

That may have made up for Melody running everything in her Texas home.................

D
D
Originally Posted by believer
Saw this headline -

Now that is pretty cool!

We forgot about it. Do I have to turn in my Earth shoes now? I am ashamed. :-(

BW-me-56
FWH-GreenMile-62
Married 1982
2 wonderful grown sons

D Day #1 4/1985
D Day #2 10/03/08
D Days continued for a while.

Started real recovery 07/15/10
D
D
I have a .pdf of info about rain garden plants (to keep water from washing off the land) and how to make your own rain barrel, if anyone is interested.

Holler to me if you are interested niosgirlatyahoodotcom.

Please put your MB name in the subject so I don't think it's spam.

My Story

Recovered!
S
S
LOL...I had 120 - 1,000 watt metal halide lights burning brightly, 44 - 400watt parking lot lights fully engaged, 166 - 400 watt metal halides working at full capacity in an adjacent building, not counting 12 full sized bathrooms, all backstage dressing rooms and offices fully illuminated and a huge boiler working hard to keep everyone comfy and safe in a 10,000 seat arena. I think the state wrestling tourney would have been just a little upset had we turned out the lights. Only God knows how much water was flushed into the local sewer system!

BH - me 53, ONS 1979
FWW - 51, 2 EA's, 1 PA
Last D-Day, Sep. 30, 2003
Last Contact/recovery began 2-26-04

***You can do anything with time and money...but remember...money won't buy you time!***
M
M
Originally Posted by believer
Saw this headline -

That may have made up for Melody running everything in her Texas home.................

I dunno, I used lots of Aquanet that day.... smile

Go shattereddreams!! hurray

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
LOL... I probably still fell short of what your custom made Texas sized hair dryer needs for power!!!

BH - me 53, ONS 1979
FWW - 51, 2 EA's, 1 PA
Last D-Day, Sep. 30, 2003
Last Contact/recovery began 2-26-04

***You can do anything with time and money...but remember...money won't buy you time!***
T
T
Our school in Hong Kong made a huge commitment to Earth Hour as did many big companies in the city. Lights went off across the harbour at 8.30 and many bars and restaurants were lit by candlelight. Probably 90% of families in our school made an effort to participate. Anything that makes the people of Hong Kong aware of saving energy is a good thing. It was a token gesture but it was a positive global event.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation