Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
SS2,

I know what you feel. Doing so much for your WS.

We BS have done so much for our WS's.

What do we get in return? Not much. Maybe a kiss. A real kiss. one with feeling. one that makes you feel like you are the only person in the world.....

WW used to do that for me.

She still lights my fire. To me she is the most beautiful woman on the planet.

H
H
Originally Posted by stillstanding2
I wait on him from the time we wake up until the time we go to bed. I cook three meals a day, do all the household chores, run the errands, handle the bills, and spend every free moment with him. I let him pick most of the TV and recreational activities. I am affectionate and never turn him down for SF. I workout w/him daily and try to look my best. I have been working on eliminating all LBs. I have asked him what would make him happy and he says that I am doing it. If I am missing something I don't know what it is.

This is great stuff.......

but,

What things on this list hit a 10 and what things only hit a 2 or 1?

What I mean is....

If YOU have a high need for conversation and the two of you sit around for an hour talking about cars (or any topic extremely boring to you). Does that hit a 10 for you, or 3, or what, maybe a -2 ?? Your H may feel he gave you the hour you needed for conversation, but in reality may have blown it all, because it's not the right kind of conversations/topics!

Just because you meet a need doesn't mean you've hit the mark!

I recommend sitting down together and go through HNHN and read the questions at the end of each chapter. The questions in the book cover this very thing. HOW TO HIT THE MARK!

I'm not trying to discourage you, actually trying to encourage you to discover how to hit the 10's and ignore the 1's and 2's.
I hope that makes sense.

BTW, I do understand that the flowers issue triggers you.
(f)WH is being a knothead.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the great advice and help with this question. We are working through the books and are really trying to meet each others top needs. I have found a solution that will work for us. I thought about my husband asks for things. He doesn't place any special importance on things that he wants. He just very plainly asks for them. If he wants beer or chips, he asks me to get them for him. If he wants a fishing rod for a present, he will tell me all the details that I need to get the correct rod. He leaves nothing to chance. If he asked me to buy beer and I told him, "I was going to surprise you with beer but now I can't because you've ruined the surprise", he would think that I was nuts. I told him that flowers were like beer and chips to me. I want him to buy them for me because they make me happy. They don't have to be expensive and they don't have to be roses. I don't need to wait for the perfect time. I just needed him to show me that he cared about what I wanted. That analogy made total sense to him. I asked him to buy me flowers on the way home tonight and he happily agreed. He even said that if he forgot to send him back out for them because he wants me to have them if they will make me happy. We have been getting along far too well lately to overthink flowers. He thanked me for making it so simple and asked me to continue being direct. He said that he hated hints and subtlety. He feels like he misses the hints. So, I told him that I would like him to take me to lunch today and he did.

Over it.
H
H
Bravo

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
S
S
GREAT JOB!!!! hurray

S
S
Your husband may hate head games.

Hints are like head games to many men.

He just told you a big secret about himself that should work for you - which is:

Tell him what you want, and he will fill the need.

But I will tell you something about this. Be careful, because he may overfill the need. You might get too much of a good thing, and then you will have to tell him to slow down, which may confuse him. Be carfeul what you ask for.

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
C
C
I love getting flowers from my husband. Before the affair he used to buy me flowers all the time. He used to have them delivered to my work or he would pick them up at the grocery. I like them all. I haven't gotten flowers since February 2007. He hasn't bought me a single daisy since the affair. I have mentioned that I miss flowers. He has told me that he would buy some tomorrow and next week. Last weekend he said that he went by the store and looked at them and they didn't look good so he didn't buy any. I haven't mentioned it since. I am not nagging him. A month ago I bought some for myself. When I was single, I used to buy flowers every week at the grocery for myself. When we got married, he told me that I didn't need to buy flowers for myself because that was his job. Should I just let it go and buy my own flowers and have a low level of resentment towards him for not wanting to make me happy? I have told him what I want and he won't do it. I don't think that it is a big deal. I think that because I have made my desire very clear, he feels nagged. I just want my husband to bring me some flowers.
Print this out and hand it to him.

T
T
I have gone through the exact same problem with the flowers. I would mention to my FWH that I would like flowers and he would say well I was going to get them for you but now you asked for them so they won't mean anything. At one point everytime he would ask me for something (a beer, his back scratched, anything) I would say "I was going to get that for you but now you asked" It took him a few says before he asked me what I was talking about and I explained it to him. I still did not get any flowers for a while.

The next time he did get me flowers I made sure to be very appreciative. I told him how beautiful they were and I gave him lots of affection.

He now does occasionally get me flowers and it is nice!

Your plan sounds like it would work if you really only wanted flowers and didn't care about what him getting them for you symbolizes. But you have said you want flowers because you want to know he thought about you when he was away from you. So my guess is that if you have to send him to the store to get you flowers like they were beer or chips then you still won't feel satisfied. I know I wouldn't.

But it may work if you really show him appreciation a couple of times, then hopefully he would start to think about it on his own.

BW 38 (me)
FWH 42
Married 7 years
DD 6
SD 15
11-2006 H said he wanted a divorce and walked out
3-2007 I told H I wanted him back
3-2007 to 4-2007 D-day's
4-2007 H moved back in for good
Today-In recovery, but a long way to recovered
D
D
stillstanding2,

Great job being direct with your H! Guys don't think the same way we do and they do not "get" hints. I really hope this works and he gets back in the habit of buying the flowers.

I have two things I want to touch on:

1. When he said he stopped and checked the flowers, but they were wilted, did you thank him for trying? I know you were hurt that he didn't actually buy them, but I wonder if it would have boosted him up and made him want to try again if you would have shown appreciation for the effort he made.

I think the affair killed the romantic feelings that my husband used to feel for me.

The A didn't kill the romantic feelings. Missing ENs and making LBs killed the romantic feelings. You really need to pay attention to TST and what he's saying about making all your ENs count as a 10. That will bring back the romantic feelings.

It sounds like you came up with a great plan and he seems to understand where you're coming from.

Great job! clap

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by drgnfly
stillstanding2,

Great job being direct with your H! Guys don't think the same way we do and they do not "get" hints. I really hope this works and he gets back in the habit of buying the flowers.

I have two things I want to touch on:

1. When he said he stopped and checked the flowers, but they were wilted, did you thank him for trying? I know you were hurt that he didn't actually buy them, but I wonder if it would have boosted him up and made him want to try again if you would have shown appreciation for the effort he made.
No, I didn't because it sounded like a lame excuse. I will remember to thank him for trying next time.

I think the affair killed the romantic feelings that my husband used to feel for me.

The A didn't kill the romantic feelings. Missing ENs and making LBs killed the romantic feelings. You really need to pay attention to TST and what he's saying about making all your ENs count as a 10. That will bring back the romantic feelings.
I hadn't thought about it that way but of course you are right. We are both working overtime on meeting each other ENs and I know that I am impatient. I know that it will take months if not years to get to a place where we feel totally in love with each other and are really happy again. My husband really has been great. This is just hard for both of us. There is so much pain just under the surface still.

It sounds like you came up with a great plan and he seems to understand where you're coming from.

Great job! clap
I have a dozen pretty pink roses on my dining table because my husband wants to make me happy and I am grateful. That is how I am looking at it.

Over it.
D
D
I have a dozen pretty pink roses on my dining table because my husband wants to make me happy and I am grateful. That is how I am looking at it.

Fantastic!!! hurray

B
B
Thanks for all the great advice and help with this question. We are working through the books and are really trying to meet each others top needs. I have found a solution that will work for us. I thought about my husband asks for things. He doesn't place any special importance on things that he wants. He just very plainly asks for them. If he wants beer or chips, he asks me to get them for him. If he wants a fishing rod for a present, he will tell me all the details that I need to get the correct rod. He leaves nothing to chance. If he asked me to buy beer and I told him, "I was going to surprise you with beer but now I can't because you've ruined the surprise", he would think that I was nuts. I told him that flowers were like beer and chips to me. I want him to buy them for me because they make me happy. They don't have to be expensive and they don't have to be roses. I don't need to wait for the perfect time. I just needed him to show me that he cared about what I wanted. That analogy made total sense to him. I asked him to buy me flowers on the way home tonight and he happily agreed. He even said that if he forgot to send him back out for them because he wants me to have them if they will make me happy. We have been getting along far too well lately to overthink flowers. He thanked me for making it so simple and asked me to continue being direct. He said that he hated hints and subtlety. He feels like he misses the hints. So, I told him that I would like him to take me to lunch today and he did.

hurray Good job! Men don't think like women - they tend to be very concrete - very much A+B=C. It sounds like your hubby is especially that way. Try to keep these phrases in mind: "I really like it when..." "I need.." "I would like it if you..." Notice they all start with "I". I'm a big proponent of that because it's non-accusatory. I think a lot of us BS's (and women in general) have trouble plainly stating what we want/need, because we're taught it's "rude" "not nice", etc. I call bullsh*t on that! laugh

Me(bw/fww) 39
recovering with amazing fwh/bh 36
DS 7
DS 4

His
EA Oct '07 - 7/2/08 (d-day)
NC 7/4/08

Hers
EA/RA 6/'09-3/'10
NC 3/17/10

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 935 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation