Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
For those of you in a long-term recovery...

How did you deal with the d-day date each year? And what is it like now and why?

Yes, obviously, my D-day anniversary is approaching. Two years ago this Friday my entire world was shattered. Two years ago this Saturday, I found MB and many friends.

Happily married to HerPapaBear

M
M
Don't you mean, "antiversary"?

P
P
D day December 26 ... "boxing day".

It is also the day of my husband's sobriety. (jeezzz what a coink-y-dink ! wink )

We celebrate his sobriety birthday and forget about the other.

L
L
SMB:

As I have stated around here before, Flamingo and I celebrate DDay. It marked the end of something horrible and the start of something new.

We don't celebrate our wedding anniversary, however.

And this is Flamingo's wishes.

Something to consider.

LG

B
B
Not a long timer but the first Dday passed like most other days...thought about the A no more than usual. Tried to keep busy hoping it would pass without much incident. Maybe start making plans to keep busy that day or the day before and the day of.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
Originally Posted by sexymamabear
For those of you in a long-term recovery...

How did you deal with the d-day date each year? And what is it like now and why?

Thats really odd. I just realized that D-day was never meaningful to me. That is likely because it paled in comparison to other D-Days I was dealing with at the time. It never had meaning to me.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
Well, it was April 9,10,11 or 12 of 1999. I never remember it unless I've been lurking around here prior to the day.

"If you put away those who report accurately, you'll keep only those who know what you want to hear. I can think of nothing more poisonous than to rot in the stink of your own reflections." (The Lady Jessica to her daughter Alia, in Frank Herbert's Children of Dune)
G
G
Mel,
I'm glad you wrote that because I don't consider myself a long-timer but DDay two years ago has no meaning to me today. I think it's because I don't want the day to have a hold on me. By not paying attention to it I've released it to the nothingness that it is now.

GG

Last edited by gg615; 04/21/09 06:11 PM.

D-Day #1 Aug/2007.
D-Day #2 1/27/12
Legally Separated
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by lousygolfer
SMB:

As I have stated around here before, Flamingo and I celebrate DDay. It marked the end of something horrible and the start of something new.

We don't celebrate our wedding anniversary, however.

And this is Flamingo's wishes.

Something to consider.

LG

LG, I think it is wonderful that you and Flamingo created your own "design" on this. I appreciate your perspective. And as you said, it was Flamingo's wishes, so I assume that you were taking the approach of wanting to do whatever would help her when it came to D-day anniversaries.

And I know that tst would do whatever my wishes were. I'm just not sure how to deal with this date, but I'm sure tst would appreciate some guidance from me. smile

For me, D-day in no way signifies the end of something horrible, as our 19 years together had been pretty darn good. It WAS the end of something special for me. We have both talked about this many times when the topic about the old marriage dying comes up here. Neither one of us wants to bury our old marriage, just the 9 months of darkness during the affair.

It'd be nice if this date would pass by unnoticed, and I've seen some here say it does for them. I'm just not sure I will ever get to that point. November 11, 1997, is the date we lost our baby. It has never gone by unnoticed to me in 11 years. So my record on forgetting dates isn't so good. cry

So I was wondering about those whose D-day dates pass by with no remembrance...was it always like that, or did you over the years gradually reach the point of "forgetfulness"?

I'm brainstorming here mostly, considering creative options that you wise folks may have found for yourselves (like LG).

Last edited by sexymamabear; 04/21/09 06:51 PM.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Thats really odd. I just realized that D-day was never meaningful to me. That is likely because it paled in comparison to other D-Days I was dealing with at the time. It never had meaning to me.

I suspect you are referring to your son? I'm not sure of the timing of it all for you, but that certainly could cloud the days.

K
K
Year 1 Oct 2004 - noted by both of us and commented on
Year 2 Oct 2005 - noted by both of us and commented on
Year 3 Oct 2006 - I am sure we both noted it but didn't comment
Year 4 Oct 2007 - I am sure we both noted it but didn't comment
Year 5 Oct 2008 - I am sure we both noted it but didn't comment

I'll always remember Oct 22 as d-day and I'm sure my (B)H will too.

It is our 35th wedding anniversary this year and that will definitely be noted and commented on!

S
OP Offline
S
I confess, the 1 year mark was tough for me. I crashed into darkness. We've healed so much since then.

I have a very busy day Friday.

Lunch date with one of my sons.
Setting up for a big homeschool performing arts spring program in the afternoon.
And the big program in the evening...3 of my kids are in dramas, one is part of a "Stomp" kind of rhythm thing, and I taught 12 young dancers a beautiful worship dance that they will perform.

Busy day. No time for crashing.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by KiwiJ
Year 1 Oct 2004 - noted by both of us and commented on
Year 2 Oct 2005 - noted by both of us and commented on
Year 3 Oct 2006 - I am sure we both noted it but didn't comment
Year 4 Oct 2007 - I am sure we both noted it but didn't comment
Year 5 Oct 2008 - I am sure we both noted it but didn't comment

I'll always remember Oct 22 as d-day and I'm sure my (B)H will too.

It is our 35th wedding anniversary this year and that will definitely be noted and commented on!

Thanks, Jen.

tst remembers dates as well as I do...he's even remembered our 1st-date anniversary every year for 25 years. He's remembered when I haven't. doh2

He asked me recently what I would like to do for our 25th wedding anniversary. We just celebrated 21 years last month. I'd take suggestions on that, too. grin I have no idea where to go and what to do. OK...I do have an idea or two about what to do. wink

M
M
We've never made a big deal of it - we usually don't think about it til after the fact, if at all...If it does come up, we usually cite how glad we are to be getting farther and farther away from that time...Now that you mention it, this month will mean that we are four years out...The view from this side is excellent...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

P
P
So I was wondering about those whose D-day dates pass by with no remembrance...was it always like that, or did you over the years gradually reach the point of "forgetfulness"?

I don't remember D-Day specifically, never did. I had so much going on at that time. I remember the time frame generally if I try, but for the last couple of years, it hasn't even popped up on my radar (much to my DH's relief!) There have been too many good memories that have replaced it during that same time frame. smile

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M
I don't put any significance upon the date that I confirmed and confronted Mrs. W on HER rebellion to God. Sure the first year it was noted but after that...not really.

IMO, to hold onto that date and not be hypocritical there would have to be a lot of other dates to remember whereupon I was myself rebellious. Like 1985 to 1993...the college years.

Besides...it's Mrs. W's date. She didn't have the affair AT me. She did it to herself. Just as I am responsible to myself and God for every rebellious act I undertook over the years. Consequences are a beach.

Now, after 4 years...it's all kinda in the same file as stuff/sin that we each did (separately and/or when we were together) pre-marriage. WE are in a much much better marriage now, a marriage we both always wanted...in spite of her affair...not because of it.

Mr. W

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
C
C
Mine was on Christmas so I don't think I will ever be able to forget that....

BS - me 56
XWH - 57

12/25/06 - Dday - WH promised NC. Plan A in effect. Thought we were in recovery.

6-3-07 - Dday#2 Found out NC never took place and A never ended. Found MB NC promised again, but WH would not write NC letter.

9/07 - Dday #3. Still lying and sneaking around. Plan B implemented
WH wants nothing to do with me

Divorced as of 12/09 after 36 years
A
A
He asked me recently what I would like to do for our 25th wedding anniversary. We just celebrated 21 years last month. I'd take suggestions on that, too. I have no idea where to go and what to do. OK...I do have an idea or two about what to do.

smb,

My wife and I talked about this on the 27th anniversary of the day we first met, back in mid-February.

Our 25th wedding anniversary is next year, and we always knew we would renew our vows on that day. With all that's happened, doing this seems more appropriate and more significant than ever. Words cannot express how much I am looking forward to it.

Just a thought.

BH 52
FWW 50
S26 S24
EA 3/07-1/09
PA 5/07-10/08
NC finally established after eight false starts: 1/23/09
Final Version of Events 6/09
In a solid Recovery, and lucky beyond belief.
M
M
SMB,

Actually the date for me is approaching and I hadn't realized it. So there you go.

Besides...it's Mrs. W's date. She didn't have the affair AT me. She did it to herself.

MrW, This makes some sense to me. I may have to adopt it.

BW(me)
DDay EA 4/05
DDay PA 6/05
In recovery
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MrWondering
I don't put any significance upon the date that I confirmed and confronted Mrs. W on HER rebellion to God. Sure the first year it was noted but after that...not really.

Mr. W, did you make a conscious choice to not allow this date to become significant, or after the first year, did it just become insignificant?

I don't really want this date to have significance over the long haul. I was hoping that I would hear from some that, yes, the date was markedly remembered in their mind for the first few years, but as the years passed, it just became irrelevant. Like, you forget to remember.

Besides...it's Mrs. W's date. She didn't have the affair AT me. She did it to herself. Just as I am responsible to myself and God for every rebellious act I undertook over the years.

Good points, and I agree with both. But it is hard to keep my focus sometimes that the affair wasn't AT me or ABOUT me or BECAUSE of me. My head knows better; my heart is trying to catch up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 493 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation