Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
H
Chai, great idea.

A couple of thoughts. We are not professionals in this field. That is a given. But since we are in this together we understand. Sometimes someone is into a situation more than we can handle. We need to recognize this if they need more than that panic call or tears.

I like the idea of a 12 step program. I am in Alnon and really have just started to work my steps and it is fulfilling and gives ME direction.

I have been blessed to have met some MBers on this board either in person (still smiling about that time) or on the phone. I swear we can sense when we need to talk.

I agree the weekends are my worst time and there is not many people on the board. Would love to have a sponsor to get me over that "friday night funk" or be a sponsor who needs the same.

Chai great idea. Will be signing on.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
R
R

I'm willing to help too, but I get frustrated on threads where nothing anyone tells a distraught BS gets them to calm down and think.

I've seen some "recovereds" who CAN withstand weeks and weeks of emotional thrashing. Hope some of them sign up too.

Thanks for doing this, Chai. I'll email you to get on your list.

Me BS 61
Him FWS 63
Married 40 years
D-Day 6/30/06
Still can't believe it.
6/08 Recovering nicely. Anything is possible!
P
P
Well, I guess I'll be the naysayer here. Here's the problem I see with this. What if a newbie gets hooked up with a "sponsor" who isn't equipped to guide them through the MB process? What if... they get bad advice from that person and it ends up causing the BS or WS to move in the wrong directions? What if (God forbid) it's because of that advice that the marriage doesn't recover?

One of the things that I think is GREAT about this MB board is that there are so many posters who have their own unique take on things. Vets challenge vets, newbies challenge vets, vets challenge newbies, the whole reasoning process is discussed and maybe helps others who are just lurking to see it written out. What happens if we take that whole process off-line?

What if the poster decides they'd rather just listen to that one person and no one else and that person is giving wrong advice? Or has a secret vendetta against MB? (I. am. not. paranoid.) lol

Maybe I'm missing the whole purpose of this. I can understand the weekend thing, because it does slow down to a crawl. Maybe have people like this willing to be available for weekends?

I dunno. JMHO.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
J
J
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by QueeniesAdventures
Ok, so when someone can't get out of their emotions, how do you help them?

I don't know how to help someone like that. If a person can't put aside their emotions they usually don't make it, in my experience, because they can't stick to a plan.

Mel, you are wrong. Truth is, you helped me IMMENSELY when I was a wreck - and you were really the only one capable of doing so! Yes, the ONLY one. You know exactly how to help. I know it's not where you're most comfortable, but it's where you were most helpful. For sure. kiss

ETA: Aw, the kiss is broken! Well, Mel, MUAH!

Last edited by Julie2U; 04/27/09 07:17 PM.

LIFE IS GOOD
P
P
Originally Posted by QueeniesAdventures
Ok, so when someone can't get out of their emotions, how do you help them?

I don't know how to help someone like that. If a person can't put aside their emotions they usually don't make it, in my experience, because they can't stick to a plan.

Helping someone who cannot (eventually) follow the plans despite being in a highly emotional state, is often a thankless task for the helper. A task where the helper has an equal chance of hearing a "Thank you" or a "Screw you" from the person they are trying to help.

That's just how any one who is reacting from their fear is ... emotional and volatile !!!

Anyone who has dealt with injured and/or frightened people knows this ...

I think the helper runs the chance of losing their objectivity if there is too much familiarity. The friendship bond becomes more important than the task at hand after awhile.

S
S
To sadsosad:

I am your twin and would love your email address.
I have been lurking for 17 months and devouring all . I still
find myself wanting but stronger. I am 54 and ww 62.
Married 28 together 30. Ow. 28 yrs. old.. former employee.

Dag

P
P
Originally Posted by slick
To sadsosad:

Dag

Your very 1st post and you are asking a woman to give you her email?

Why is that?

S
S
Pepperband:

I am a woman and just not familiar with this venue.
He is ws I am bs. Very betrayed! Sorry for the misleading information.

Dag

R
RMX Offline
R
Originally Posted by Pepperband
To sadsosad:

Dag

Your very 1st post and you are asking a woman to give you her email?

Why is that?

Thats a good point Dag made before I could mention it.

I do talk to MB members offline but I have a EP that I don't try to help women because of my fear that a inappropriate relationship might start.

I have Extraordinary Protections to avoid having my ethics tested.

Only person I bent that rule with is LASunshineGirl and only with APFs informed consent.

FBH 34 me,FWW 34,
DS 14, OC-D 12 (given up for adoption), DS-8, DD-5
D-Day#1 10-12-1998
D-Day#2 2-10-2008
Recovered!
P
P
More importantly - it sounds like you need to start your own thread Dag. (Dagmar?)

S
S
Pepperband

I have been avoiding my own thread for months. I didn't want
to hijack anyones but this seemed to be a topic of outreach
and it appealled to me.

(one of my favorite books)

Dag

P
P
Pepperband

I have been avoiding my own thread for months.

Dag

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

M
M
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
Here's the problem I see with this. What if a newbie gets hooked up with a "sponsor" who isn't equipped to guide them through the MB process? What if... they get bad advice from that person and it ends up causing the BS or WS to move in the wrong directions? What if (God forbid) it's because of that advice that the marriage doesn't recover?

One of the things that I think is GREAT about this MB board is that there are so many posters who have their own unique take on things. Vets challenge vets, newbies challenge vets, vets challenge newbies, the whole reasoning process is discussed and maybe helps others who are just lurking to see it written out. What happens if we take that whole process off-line?

I agree with this 100%. It is too easy to lose objectivity when one becomes "friends" offline. And if several people are reading about the situation, there are several minds thinking about that problem.

Mel, you are wrong. Truth is, you helped me IMMENSELY when I was a wreck - and you were really the only one capable of doing so! Yes, the ONLY one. You know exactly how to help. I know it's not where you're most comfortable, but it's where you were most helpful. For sure.

{{{{{{Julie}}}}}}}}}}}}} you little brat!! You drove me crazy! stickout But YOU WERE ABLE to put aside your emotions most of the time and follow a plan. When it was laid out to you rationally, you could usually follow [if wanted to]. Maybe not the first 3 times, but sanity usually intervened and you were able to put your emotions aside. And even when your emotions took completely over, you would eventually come back down to earth. It might take a few more weeks of hard knocks, but always came back down when reason prevailed.

slick, the chick pool is not that great here. Try Homer's Pick Up Bar on the corner, bud..

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

V
V
I have been avoiding my own thread for months.
Hi Slick,

I waited 4 months after D-Day to post. I thought I could just read and learn.
Boy, was I wrong. I was advised to do things I would never have picked up on, just reading.

Seems like you are way over due.

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

P
P
Slick's a chick ... she just got cornfuzzed on her first post.

S
S
Pepperband:

I beleive my first step was finding Marriage Builders.
The next, following the advice of all you who have been there.
This is my second time around the block and like sss find myself with a husband that has devoured my life for his own. That is why I wanted to communicate with someone who is going through it at the very same time that I am. I am not in anyway an expert at this but i have sure learned at lot from everyone here.

Dag

S
S
How do I start a new thread??

Dag

H
H
[quote=princessmeggy] Here's the problem I see with this. What if a newbie gets hooked up with a "sponsor" who isn't equipped to guide them through the MB process? What if... they get bad advice from that person and it ends up causing the BS or WS to move in the wrong directions? What if (God forbid) it's because of that advice that the marriage doesn't recover?

I agree with this 100%. It is too easy to lose objectivity when one becomes "friends" offline. And if several people are reading about the situation, there are several minds thinking about that problem.

Me thinks that as in Al-non, you would have a mentor that will talk, listen but help you come to your own conclusions. It will not meant to be for people to abandon the board and a plethora of opinions and thought process.

Because I find the weekends the toughest and the board is very slow it would be nice to have a offline partner to contact for even a chat to help past the rough spots, and be willing to do the same. Still love the concept.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
R
R
Originally Posted by hope3343
[quote=princessmeggy] Here's the problem I see with this. What if a newbie gets hooked up with a "sponsor" who isn't equipped to guide them through the MB process? What if... they get bad advice from that person and it ends up causing the BS or WS to move in the wrong directions? What if (God forbid) it's because of that advice that the marriage doesn't recover?

Me thinks that as in Al-non, you would have a mentor that will talk, listen but help you come to your own conclusions. It will not meant to be for people to abandon the board and a plethora of opinions and thought process.

Because I find the weekends the toughest and the board is very slow it would be nice to have a offline partner to contact for even a chat to help past the rough spots, and be willing to do the same. Still love the concept.

I don't think anyone means this to be INSTEAD of reading and posting here for all the varied advice. Just a voice on the phone when you need one. (Or an email response when the boards go down...does that make everyone else as crazy as it makes me?)

Me BS 61
Him FWS 63
Married 40 years
D-Day 6/30/06
Still can't believe it.
6/08 Recovering nicely. Anything is possible!
L
L
I talk to several MBers offlist. All of whom have several others they talk to. I assume that the people I talk to, fossick through what we all tell them and what they get on MB and work out the most likely course of action from that.

I consider the offline interaction to be supplementary and an additional bonus of MB for the off times, weekends, and the times when 'my' posters are away or busy. I still believe my MB posts to be the ones most likely to help my M

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 629 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation