Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Seabird Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey everybody, here is my post-ride report.

As some of you might already be aware, Day One got rained out. A major front blew through the state and really did a number on things. It was a major disappointment and the first time such a thing has happened with this event. As I understand it, La Grange (our midway point) took 6-8" of water, and the fairgrounds where we were supposed to camp was completely under water. Some of the large tents were destroyed as well.

HOWEVER, Day Two still went off! The MS Society stated that the ride would begin from La Grange on Sunday morning and we'd ride on into Austin as planned. All that we, as teams and individual riders, would have to do, would be to get our butts to La Grange for the new official start.

So Jill and I were up at 4:15am, and out the door at 4:45 on Sunday morning. We drove the hour and a half into La Grange and met up with our team at a motel a couple of miles outside of town. From there, the team embarked at 7:15 am, and actually got a jump on most of the other riders. We rode about 80 miles in roughly 8 hours, including several rest stops and a lingering lunch stop at the Whataburger in Bastrop. We also rode the "Challenge Route" which detoured us off of the relatively flat Hwy 71, and instead ran us through the beautiful Beuscher State Park. It's called the "Challenge Route" because of the numerous hill-climbs, and high speed descents into sharp turns. My top speed of the day was on the notorious Smithville Hill; an indicated 41 mph. I didn't brake once during the descent and it was epic! I know that many riders on much better bikes can pass 50+. My bike actually felt pretty stable at that speed, and I hope next year to break 45mph.

Let me just say, yet again, how grateful I am for all of your pledges. I am sorry that I wasn't able to accomplish the full ride this year, but keep your wallets warm because I intend to have my hand out again next year. wink And let me just say, that your money WAS NOT WASTED despite the lost day. The Lone Star Chapter of the MS Society has raised over 14 million dollars so far this year, and we're expected to exceed 17 million before the pledge drive is done at the end of May.

So thanks again for your support!

O
O
There are hills in TX?

Thanks for posting that Seabird. I did visit your link and wish I could have pledged but money is tight--a good friend of mine who was killed last year was a big supporter of the PanMass Challenge. She got me into the ride--I've done it 3 times. I can't do it this year but have donated as much as I could to my former team members.

So many great causes! Thanks for doing your part.

S
Seabird Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks OH. Don't worry about the pledge. I know how it is. Thanks though. smile

And for the record, TX does indeed have hills. Pretty big ones. The area all around Austin is called, simply, The Texas Hill Country.

Very hi-res image near where I rode to give you some idea of the terrain.

C
C
Seabird, I, too, wish I could contribute but I'm in for over $125 for Gilda's Club for the half marathon my daughter and I are doing tomorrow....plus the money I spent raising the nearly $1500 we've raised plus the gear for two (shoes, socks, shorts, shirts, water bottles, sports underwear) and the power bars, gu, and other related expenses...oh, entry fees for the marathon.

C
C
OOOOOOHHHH!!!!!! Before I forget..... a local tv station is probably doing a feature on my daughter tomorrow evening. We have to be at the studio at 3 p.m. I'm excited for her. She's not so excited - no dread....just not excited. hurray

S
Seabird Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Again, I understand. I actually met my fund raising goal months ago. No worries. I understand on the expenses. I've spent over $2000 on all of my gear (including my new bike), entry fees, support costs, clothes, and other misc stuff.

At least now I have most of the things I need. Next year should be much cheaper for me.

O
O
Originally Posted by Seabird
Thanks OH. Don't worry about the pledge. I know how it is. Thanks though. smile

And for the record, TX does indeed have hills. Pretty big ones. The area all around Austin is called, simply, The Texas Hill Country.

Very hi-res image near where I rode to give you some idea of the terrain.

Well around here, what people call mountains (Berkshires, Poconos, etc,), West Coast people call "hills". LOL

S
S
Let us know when you start shaving your legs!

S
Seabird Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Whaddaya mean, "start"?

stickout

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 914 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation