Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
B
A few of my faves:

And so he made up his mind to leave, regardless of how Jackie took it, regardless, even, of what it meant to the children

Very nice! sick

That had been at her insistence,' Vidal later recollected, 'and based entirely on her passion not for me but for Paul.' She thought that a fake engagement might force him to leave Jackie once and for all.

It's special enough to make me tingly all over. puke

JW was "tormented" as being viewed as a homewrecker? um....okay LMAO She wasn't tormented enough to stop and give up like she expected Jackie to nor tormented enough to not get preggers with OC. Don't believe for one minute that pregnancy was an oops.

Funny how the public is supposed to buy the Hollywood fairytale at face value and just smile. 50 yrs of affairage doesn't change the truth. cool

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
S
I agree with Mrs W.

He (and we) will never know if he could have reconciled with his first wife because he did not try at the time he simply married the OW.

M
M
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
No doubt, I thought I'd made mistakes. The difference is, I didn't choose an affair as the solution to my mistake. My XWW decided an affair WAS the solution to what she repeatedly said was a mistake.

However, it is funny that she never ONCE voiced the idea that our getting married was a mistake until she was with OM.

So the idea of it being a mistake has some merit. Yet it must be balanced against the re-writing of history that typically comes with an affair.

I wonder how much better his first marriage would have been if he had put all the effort he was putting into the affair into his marriage?

The mistake is seldom the person. We are all incompatible. The mistake is typically how we choose to conduct our relationship with that person.

That is not corrected by choosing another person.

Great post E_E! smile

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

B
B
Hey Mim

You need to fix your siggy.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
S
S
Originally Posted by ManInMotion
I wonder how many here, BS, WS and FWS alike, have wondered at some point in their M if they made a mistake and there was someone better suited for them, or their spouse, out there? Ever considered what you'd do if you actually came across such a better match?

I have never had this thought i have always thought my FWH was the man for me and i only have had eyes for him since the day i met him flirt .

P
P
He may have done well in his life despite the fact of his despicable behavior, but he was still an adulterer and a hypocrite at that.

Later in his life, "when asked about infidelity, he quipped, "Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?"

Liar.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
W
W
I'm not sure whether you realize it or not, but I myself am a FWS...What I think it takes to become a FWS is genuine repentence, and as I told you in my last post that means to "change your mind"...To totally and completely renounce your past behavior...I do NOT think that is possible while remaining with an affair partner...Remaining with the affair partner would not allow you to fully change your mind...An affair is a totally toxic relationship and it can never be anything else...

I had not seen your point on view as either of BS or WS. I can see why our views might differ based on the which side of the window we are on.
Kudos to you on having put in the hard work to earn your F cause I can see my H's effort and know that its not easy.
Somtimes based on my reactions he feels like he is taking one step forward and 2 steps backward and will never get to the finish line. I am very proud of him for sticking around and working hard at mending what he broke and rebulding a loving relationship with me. I am actually starting to feel happy and a small sense of security of being in loveheart together.
Afraid to give in completely yet but I can see the buds blosomming.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the rare occurances that good relationships can sometimes come out of muddy waters.

FBW(me)- 45
FWH- 53
D-day 4/29/08
Moving forward pursuing happiness & a loving Marriage with DH.
B
B
I wonder how many here, BS, WS and FWS alike, have wondered at some point in their M if they made a mistake and there was someone better suited for them, or their spouse, out there? Ever considered what you'd do if you actually came across such a better match?

I've wonder if my M was mistake on occassion...more in the past year for obvious reasons but I wouldn't divorce my H if I met a better match. Plus what is a better match? My H has some wonderful qualities. He does lack some qualities that I wish he had or at least had more of X that I like. But if I came across a "better match" how would I know unless I started taking applications? Just as APs think they know each other and think they are soulmates, they don't know crud. They only know the "good side" the AP shows them and ignore the obvious glaring redflag that their soulmate is a liar and user.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

H
H

I am sure all BSs ponder this soon after Dday. Many WSs and FWSs seem to think their OP is a better match (and a lot of cases). Then there are those who are just want it all! Personally, I have wondered if there is a better match for me...like another BS that has similar Top 5 ENs...but I made a commitment and am trying to stick to it.

Me: 32 BS DDay: 9/14/08
Slowly coming to the realization that I
am one of those who can't get past it.
M
M
Originally Posted by wannamoveforward
I'm not sure whether you realize it or not, but I myself am a FWS...What I think it takes to become a FWS is genuine repentence, and as I told you in my last post that means to "change your mind"...To totally and completely renounce your past behavior...I do NOT think that is possible while remaining with an affair partner...Remaining with the affair partner would not allow you to fully change your mind...An affair is a totally toxic relationship and it can never be anything else...

I had not seen your point on view as either of BS or WS. I can see why our views might differ based on the which side of the window we are on.
Kudos to you on having put in the hard work to earn your F cause I can see my H's effort and know that its not easy.
Somtimes based on my reactions he feels like he is taking one step forward and 2 steps backward and will never get to the finish line. I am very proud of him for sticking around and working hard at mending what he broke and rebulding a loving relationship with me. I am actually starting to feel happy and a small sense of security of being in loveheart together.
Afraid to give in completely yet but I can see the buds blosomming.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the rare occurances that good relationships can sometimes come out of muddy waters.

Actually wannamoveforward I find it pretty odd that as a BS you could think the way you are thinking about this...confused If your husband also thinks this way, imo, it would be definite cause for concern...

Was your own relationship born "out of muddy waters" by chance?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

W
W
Actually wannamoveforward I find it pretty odd that as a BS you could think the way you are thinking about this... If your husband also thinks this way, imo, it would be definite cause for concern...

Was your own relationship "out of muddy waters" by chance?

Mrs. W

I am not sure how my H feels about this, have to bring that up and see. My guess is right now he probably sees it as you do that an A is toxic and should not survive. I would agree with
that in general.

I must say I am surpised at myself for defending Newmans stich, (its not like I knew him personally). I guess the 50+ year married thing touches a nerve with me and I wonder if that does not deserve credit then what does.
The more I experience the work it takes to be present and nuture my own relationship the more I am inclined to tip my hat to those who have been able to sustain that. Its unfortune that this 50+ year M is tarnished by the fact that it is an affaiage, I guess other that minor Major flaw its a pretty impressive feat. Thats all I am trying to say.

No our relationship did not start "out of muddy waters" in any way. We met 16 years ago and have been married for 14. I was in love and "just knew he was the one for me". Never understood that phrase until it happend to me smile

FBW(me)- 45
FWH- 53
D-day 4/29/08
Moving forward pursuing happiness & a loving Marriage with DH.
M
M
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
Later in his life, "when asked about infidelity, he quipped, "Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?"

Mr. W read that Joanne Woodward was offended by that particular comment...Interesting...Ya think that was perhaps because she KNEW that she was the "hamburger" that he went out for, and realized that there was no way to transform a "hamburger" into a "steak"? Hmmmmm... think

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

P
P
Originally Posted by MrsWondering

Mr. W read that Joanne Woodward was offended by that particular comment...Interesting...Ya think that was perhaps because she KNEW that she was the "hamburger" that he went out for, and realized that there was no way to transform a "hamburger" into a "steak"? Hmmmmm... think

Mrs. W

LOL, that mirror musta been really bright!

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
B
B

Mrs. W

What if you dress up the hamburger with all sorts of fixins? think

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

M
M
Okay wannamoveforward, I gotcha...50 years or not, trying to make that relationship a good thing just seems like attempting to pick up a turd by the clean end...confused

Best of luck to you in your recovery...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

B
B

Mrs. W

LOL, that mirror musta been really bright!

Maybe Joanne Woodward see herself as a Sloppy Jo. laugh

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

M
M
Originally Posted by black_raven

Mrs. W

What if you dress up the hamburger with all sorts of fixins? think

LOL! Nope...It'd still be just a plain old burger underneath, with LOTS of gristle on the inside to boot...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

M
M

rotflmao

Maybe she's who Adam Sandler was singin' about? confused "Sloppy Jo, sloppy, sloppy Jo" grin

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

B
B

rotflmao

Maybe she's who Adam Sandler was singin' about? confused "Sloppy Jo, sloppy, sloppy Jo" grin

rotflmao

I think you are on to something. Sloppy Jo did get rather defensive of the lunch lady.

I guess it could be worse...she could be chopped liver. stickout

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

T
T
doesn't anyone deserve a second chance if they learned from their first mistake? What about JFK? What about Bill Clinton?

OK, let's leave specific politics out of this, and just look at the men. "First mistake?" Are you kidding me? How about 40th mistake? 100th mistake? How about never, EVER learning? How many "second" chances are you willing to give someone, just because you admire their political views? Now take away your shared political philosophies. Imagine that you don't even know what their politics are...and then imagine their wives coming on MB and asking for help, but disclosing the same history of repeated infidelity that both these men have publicly demonstrated. How many more chances would these wives be advised to give, by all you regular posters?

And both of those men remained married to their original spouses...They did not leave them to marry their OWs...Newman's situation was COMPLETELY different

Which, in IMfirmO, makes it infinitely worse. At least Paul Newman got OUT. Jackie and Hillary, on the other hand, endured the same punch-in-the-gut insult, overandoverandoveragain. Those of you BSs, who endured a single D-day, and found it hard to survive, should find it fairly easy to empathize with what these women went through. Repeatedly. And for Hillary, on the evening news as well. In that respect, Paul Newman's 1st wife lucked out!

tl

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 249 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation