Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the information on grants and the sites to apply. While neither of my sons got one, they DID get free tuition through Spring 2010. Also one of their friends is getting a grant and a scholarship. And that kid really needed it.

His mom ran off with another man when he was 2, his dad raised him alone, and then his dad was laid off. He is kind of like another son for me. When my boys were applying, he was complaining how tough life was. I told him to stop looking at the negative side and DO something. So he applied too.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help. That is one of the things that makes this place so good.

Guess I'll have to spring for dinner out for you and your family.

C
C
Believer, in hopes that it's not too late, could you share any of this info w/ me. My daughter is a senior. Not talking to me about the college stuff so I don't know what to do. And, now her dad, who earns more than double what I earn is threatening to pull his financial support.

B
OP Offline
B
Cinders - It is too late. My boys started back in February. The sites are FAFSA.ed.gov and Fast Web.

Let your daughter decide what she wants to do and support her. My sons both hated school, and though they tested smart, their grades didn't reflect it. I wanted them to go to college so badly, but neither was interested.

Fast forward several years of working crappy jobs, and both are now in school, getting straight A's. Never thought it would happen in a million years.

C
C
No, it isn't too late! Send your dtr to Fafsa.gov and have her fill out the forms. Parents have a section to fill out, too. We have to do this every year even though we do not claim DD22 as a dependant and don't qualify for need-based aid.
She MUST fill out the FAFSA to get any student loans. DD22 filled hers out the first time just weeks before school started. To her shock-- and mine-- she was awarded a very nice merit-based scholarship at her school.
She needs to check with the department she is going to be working in (her department head) to see if there is any last minute help to be found. DD22's scholarship was all put together by her department head and came as a complete surprise.
Even if it feels too late, get started and do something and ask for help from the people who might possibly be able to help.

Chrysalis
S
S
Chrysalis is RIGHT!!!

Not too late, never too late, actually.

Fill out that FAFSA, today, right now, get it going. You do it online, and can save your work and add in stuff if you don't have your hands on it right now.

Get going.

When I started back to school, I did not have any idea what I was doing. I filled out the forms, just wanting to get loans.

I walked my little (then) butt into the financial aid office after all was said and done, and asked for ideas.

GUESS WHAT>>>>>>

they told me to fill out a form that they had right there on campus

and I ended up with an anonymous scholarship for $750 in only one week.

So, it pays to go to the campus and see what they might have - or THESE DAYS, check around on the college website for little things like that. Apply for anything and everything they offer. It does not hurt to ask.

I told both of my girls the same thing - fill out whatever form that you run across that offers possible money, scholarships, or aid. You never know. Here is a list of the things that I ended up with, just doing this:

$750 anonymous scholarship

Full tuition one semester for applying for the Businesswomen's Club annual scholarship - this covered my last semester of graduate school

A university endowed memorial scholarship for $1000 that I never knew existed

Two years full tuition for a graduate fellowship (no research, no work, nothing required of me) for my grades as an undergraduate

$500 for two undergraduate semesters for grades as top undergrad student

My daughters both got help at the university level as well.

The older one always had excellent grades. She was able to get departmental scholarships and work on campus tutoring freshman in English and Algebra. She applied for scholarships for master's and Ph.d. school, and got both - based on grades and looking for lots of different available opportunities. She worked as a teaching assistant during her master's work, which helped.

The younger one earned a scholarship which she never thought she would get - based on an ESSAY, of all things! She is the musical one, and the older sister the English major. We never thought she would get this scholarship, and turns out, she is VERY good at writing - who would have thought? So APPLY, even when you think you can't, because the one she got was $5,000. That's a chunk of money! Then, she applied to be the resident advisor in her dorm - and got the job. This is VERY helpful, because these jobs come with tuition, meals, a room, and a stipend. Tell your kids to LOOK FOR THIS JOB, because for two years her tuition and food was covered, along with spending money. Cannot beat that gig. She had to work sometimes at odd hours though, when things happened in the dorms (like emergencies, tornadoes, etc.), but WELL WORTH IT.

apply apply apply

wear out your computer and wear out your asking bones!

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
C
C
DD22 had a really crummy shot at even going to college, if you looked at her record at the end of 10th grade. Low grades. Failed classes. Social misery. Awful. Her teachers told her as much.

She transferred to a program in our district that combined the last 2 years of high school with the first year of community college. It was a program for the square pegs of the world-- the quirky, creative, in-your-face kids. All they asked was a C average up to the point of transfer, and personal interviews that showed the new program fit them.

She graduated as editor of her yearbook, with a 4.0 average her last semester, and a year of college under her belt. A year later, she had gotten her AA.

Her scholarship -- which made up the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition for 2 years-- was based on these achievements.

So when you coach your daughter to ask for help, think outside the box. What has she done that is different? What makes her special? Gilda's club comes to mind.

Also, the simple facts of her now-dire situation ought to be told to anyone in a possible position to help.

Chrysalis
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the update. I thought it was too late.

Be sure to find the free FAFSA site - there are some that charge. It only took about an hour to fill out, of course my sons' did it in February and we had all the tax information out.

The Fastweb site will inform you of lots of the scholarships available.

And my son that is in Washington state was offered a summer job where you camp out at a salmon stream and count and care for salmon.

Anyway it is well worth trying.

D
D
Believer,

If that is what interests him (biology, being outdoors, etc), our company has an office in WA. Want the website addy? They are always looking for interns.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
B
OP Offline
B
Oh, yes, thanks. He is studying fisheries and wants to do some kind of work along that line.

D
D
niosgirlatyahoodotcom, and I'll forward it to you.

We do a lot of work with Fish and Wildlife Service...

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
S
S
Hi all, I work w/ Fin. Aid at a local comm. college...

Cinders- use the parents taxes that made the least to fill out the Fafsa if they are separated...

I am more than willing to answer any questions that I can in helping get young people on the road to higher education...it's tough trying to understand all the rules and steps that so along with getting into school...

Here is the website: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Also apply for a pin number at teh same time: http://www.pin.ed.gov/

This will help you out and the FA staff at the school...everything nowadays is moving to online signatures...and the pin takes threee days to activate.

Last edited by Strivn4Better; 05/07/09 09:17 AM. Reason: added more info

A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.
Thomas Carlyle
B
OP Offline
B
Wow, all kinds of experts. I was looking through the summer classes today, and they have an overseas study program for languages. His school has a month long stay in Costa Rica.

Several years ago my friend's daughter went to Spain to study spanish. While there, she toured Europe. She learned some spanish, got credit for it and had a blast.

Anyway, apparently you can apply for language scholarships on FAFSA and they will offset the cost.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation