Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 61 of 95 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 94 95
Z
Z
I can understand why your H is upset about the cheating from 16 years ago. I would imagine he feels you tricked him inot marrying you and he has lived a lie all these years. Essentially, you took a good portion of his life away.
Is it possible that he suspected, on some level, the cheating from back then and that could explain his behavior toward you all these years? Folks do sense this, believe it or not, although they cannot always identify what thay are feeling.
Do you think, had he known , he would have agreed to marry you?
I know you have said something along the lines of you being the last person people would believe to be unfaithful. But, really, I am unclear whether you subscribe to this belief, as well.
Two affairs, essentially serial cheating , is often too much for a person to bear.
I hope your husband considers getting some help from a counselor. He has been terribly abused and needs someone to talk to.

Z
Z
Haven't read this entire thread, so , sorry if this has been addressed. But, after your first affair, were you tested for STDs? And, the second one?
IYour H might also be wondering about his health due to the exposure. Some of these diseases can be dormant for a long time. Was he at risk the entire time you were married?

Z
Z
Originally Posted by curious53
L4,
I don't believe I've posted to you before, but I've been following along. I wanted to commend you for your efforts to confront this situation honestly and with the right goal in mind: a happy and healthy marriage, and not simply marriage at any cost.

I hope you don't mind if I step in here to ask a question of the group, related to your sitch and the following specific point:

Originally Posted by Sh0cked
I think it is especially difficult for men to feel as if they are second best.

I would love it if I could get some additional perspective on this particular point. L4 has stated that her H was not really that great for most of their marriage. I believe her. Of course, having an affair only makes matters worse, and I'm not justifying her decision to do that. However, it seems clear to me that L4's husband was simply not that great a husband. And now he has trouble coping with the feeling that he was second best? It sounds to me like calling him "second" would be somewhat generous! I guess my instinctive feeling is that he is not entitled to feel like he was the best throughout their marriage, because he just plain wasn't.

Again, I definitely understand that the affair really muddies the waters with regard to getting L4's husband to own his part in their unhappy marriage (pre-A). But, regardless of how difficult and complicated that is, doesn't he need to own it anyway?

I realize I may not be making sense here. I'm really not trying to challenge the concepts or even any BS' experience. But I feel some sort of disconnect here, and I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it.

[Edited to remove unnecessary coding garbage.]

As I mentioned, I really wonder if some of the resentment he had during the marriage was not attributable to his instinctively sensing her prior cheating. It is uncanny how we pick up on this in some fashion and how it affects one.

M
M
L4,

OK. I've been thinking about this for a few days now and I guess it's a good time to bring it up.

The Policy of Radical Honesty

Reveal to your spouse as much
information about yourself as you know;
your thoughts, feelings, habits, likes,
dislikes, personal history, daily activities,
and plans for the future.

To help explain this policy, I have broken it down into four parts:

1. EMOTIONAL HONESTY: Reveal your emotional reactions, both positive and negative, to the events of your life, particularly to your spouse's behavior.

2. HISTORICAL HONESTY: Reveal information about your personal history, particularly events that demonstrate personal weakness or failure.

3. CURRENT HONESTY: Reveal information about the events of your day. Provide your spouse with a calendar of your activities, with special emphasis on those that may affect your spouse.

4. FUTURE HONESTY: Reveal your thoughts and plans regarding future activities and objectives.
Full article HERE.

When folks began suggesting that you not burden your H with your troubles and thoughts is was in reference to withdrawal from OM. The suggestion to "go to the park" was to spare him from having to see you agonize over triggering and thinking about and missing contact with OM.

But it seems that we are now into a different dynamic that I think needs to be considered from the POV of PORH. The question then becomes how to state your feelings, your fears, your disappointment without love busting and wiping out months of really good work.

Unless you can tell your husband what he does that causes you pain and or makes you feel unhappy, then you are destined to live in pain and unhappiness until resentment overrides your ability to hold it all in and then let it all out at once.

We have talked a bit in the past about boundaries. In this case what you really need to find is a boundary enforcement that allows you to preserve the peace, not be hurt by his actions and still not withdraw from his LB$. I think that's a pretty tall order, but the alternative is to keep doing what you (both) have been doing. How's that been workin' for ya?

I don't know if I ever shared with you about the weekend my wife and I had about a year after she began her affair in earnest. It was a weekend retreat in Indianapolis sponsored by a large church and was in fact part of their opening weekend for their new facility. It was based on The Song of Solomon: songofsolomon.com, a series created by Tommy Nelson, pastor of Denton Bible Church, Denton, TX. Denton Bible Church

That weekend our teacher was Neil McClendon from Grand Parkway Baptist Church in Richmond, TX. Neil is one of those gifted teachers that will tell a story, include jokes and one-liners that have people literally falling from their seats in laughter and then drop the point of his story on you and have a room of 5000 people sitting in dead silence for over a minute as they take in what he just said.

So the second afternoon he talked about conflict resolution and told a story. He said that he and his wife have totally different ways of dealing with conflict because of the way each of their families dealt with it when they were growing up.

He said that in his family conflict was resolved in the backyard by use of farm implements and other large heavy objects. He said sometimes all the kids went to bed early with bruises on their foreheads and blisters on their behinds, but nobody went to bed carrying a grudge for anyone else. I have said that my own family was similar to this. We always resolved problems by rational discussion and logic…

After beating each other senseless and a little bit of blood was shed.

He said that in his wife's parent’s home when she was growing up they had a completely different way of handling conflicts. Whenever there was some serious breach or other problem that arose the solution was to storm from the room, slam the door to your bedroom and sit and stew for about a half hour. Then everyone reassembled in the room where it all began and pretended like everything was perfectly alright and no conflict had ever occurred.

Now while everyone in his family was shouting and hitting each other pretty often, his wife's family always seemed to have smiles on their faces and was never anything but sweet to each other. His family seemed to be full of conflict and his wife's seemed so peaceful and relaxed...

But what this leads to is what Neil called "gunny sackin'." It's as if whenever we have a complaint we ignore it and pretend that everything is fine. As a result we start to carry around all of this resentment with us. It's like we put it all into a big gunny sack and lift it onto our backs and carry it with us from place to place, relationship to relationship, conversation to conversation...

Until the day that the sack is just too much for us to carry on our own so when we have a conflict with someone and it is just too much to take with what we are already carrying around, we take the pack off our back and dump it all out at once.

So now not only are we unhappy about what is happening, but we are unhappy about everything that we stuffed into the sack since the last time we cleaned it all out. We aren't just mad because he is late for dinner tonight, but because he was late to dinner the night he met your parents and was 10 minutes late to the kids play in the 1st grade and missed your daughters debut and because he is ALWAYS late because he's ALWAYS waiting till the last minute and ALWAYS thinking about something besides his family and NEVER giving a thought to ANYONE but himself and...

You get the idea...

The problem is that until a conflict is resolved it remains whether we discuss it, fight about it or just stick it into a gunny sack to drag out later when it has more value in the argument we're having then than it has relative to the one we're having now.

Resentment generally comes from unresolved conflict. Most of us want conflict to end and go away more than we want to find a solution that will make us both happy. Thus we need POJA...

But POJA is not intended to get us what we want at the others expense. Rather it is designed to let us arrive at a solution that makes BOTH of us happy. But in order for it to work at all, the environment to negotiate must be safe for both of us. And that means that neither of us can love bust during negotiations. When one of us begins to make selfish demands or have an AO or starts with DJs, Dr Harley says that we should walk away from the negotiation until some later time. What this means ultimately is that there will be times when we aren't going to get a resolution the first try or the second or even the third, but unless we get back to looking for a resolution to the conflict, the conflict remains and just simply won't ever go away.

Failing to return to finding a resolution always leads to resentment. The more important something is to us, the more resentment it creates until we have all the fuel we need in order to act selfishly and just begin doing whatever we want, since we aren't making any progress in negotiating anyway.

Resentment becomes motive. Now when an opportunity shows itself, we take the selfish way out and an affair becomes so easy because we never get to solve anything and our resentment fuels our justification to do whatever we want because he/she doesn't really care anyway and...

Resentment must be dealt with. It cannot be allowed to fester and grow. It becomes like an infection that poisons the whole system (marriage) until only radical measures can save it. (I KNOW about infections left unchecked...)

If my ENs are not being met, whose responsibility is it to do something about it?

Not a rhetorical question, BTW. I do expect an answer...

Mark

ETA: In case you didn't see it on Roo's thread, I thought I'd post it here too.

The Seven Emotional Trials the Cheater Will Face

Last edited by Mark1952; 05/14/09 07:28 PM.
S
S
Mark1952 - I love your posts, always so well considered and constructive, and I particularly appreciate the one above.

I know this was meant for L4, but I'm sure she won't mind sharing. It'll be great for Staytogether too, and so many others.

It's so very helpful.

Thank you.

Me - BW
FWH - BB -(PA Jul 08 - Aug 08)
D-Day - 8 Aug 2008
Recovering nicely

M
M
Sere,

Actually I was just talkin' to myself as usual...

Mark

V
V
Originally Posted by Mark1952
Sere,

Mark
That's okay, keep talkin' to yourself, we are all listening.
I liked this one too, resentment is gangrenous.
Like Sere said, thank you.

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

S
S
Yep, me too. Very useful. Have pinched a bit that I'm finding difficult to work with for my thread.

Thank you Mark

B
B
Originally Posted by Mark1952
Sere,

Mark

But everyone is listening. Food for the soul.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
H
H
Mark, I love listening too. But geesh, at times, your ability to talk to yourself is faster than my ability to keep uppp. I'm in the slooow learners section, so I need to break it down into segments I can keep up with so ya aren't more long winded than my attention span can handle grin

Seriously, great post!

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
M
M
Funny how people here seem to listen sometimes and other times you gotta :twobyfour: them a couple of times before it gets inside their minds.

And of course at work and at home NOBODY listens to me very often... skeptical

Maybe if I tried :twobyfour:ing them it would work there too. think

ETA: L4, you might as well come out to play with us or we'll just take over your thread completely... stickout

Last edited by Mark1952; 05/15/09 10:35 AM.
L
OP Offline
L
But y'all play together so nicely, Mark. It's fun to watch.

And I need to be sure you're not hiding that big bashing club behind the sandbox before I step in. Can everyone please show me both of their hands?

But I know what you're doing. You're trying to drag me back to work, aren't you. Do you think if I take a nap on my laptop that I can take in and address all of this wisdom through osmosis? It'd be so much easier.

I'll respond. You know I will. But these last several days of words require thinkin'. Lots o' thinkin'... And my heart needs looking at too.

L
OP Offline
L
H is going out with his bestfriend tonight. I thought they were just going out for evening drinks but upon asking the right question this morning, H is planning on leaving early afternoon and will be spending the night at friend's place which is 45 minutes away. He's done this a couple of times before. Guess he plans on drinking a lot. (I'm glad I asked otherwise I don't know when I would have known his plans.)

Quick Q... I'm good friends with this bestfriend and his wife. The BF was in our wedding. He knows everything about my cheating and his W and he are very much friends of our M. Would it be going behind H's back if I called BF and asked him to try to get H to talk? They're going out for beers so I don't know how deep they can get, but would it be an IB to ask this without H knowing about it?

This BF is one of the people I've encouraged H to talk to.

And because H will be gone all night, it'll be an MB-fest tonight. I'll be able to write as much as I desire.

Or not. grin

B
B
I don't think speaking to the BF would be a bad idea. However, do not ask him to hide your request/concern from BH should BH ask him if someone put him up to it. Last thing you want is for H to think you are telling people to do something but then trying to hide that you set the ball in motion. H could still take it badly but given his "stuckness" I'd risk it because it's done out of care.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
S
I'd do it! But I am impatient and like to move things along. This is just about him isn't it? And helping him to heal? You won't be asking for the outcome of any conversation?

Shame our time distance is so skewed, I'd like to join in on your MB fest

S
S
Originally Posted by black_raven
I don't think speaking to the BF would be a bad idea. However, do not ask him to hide your request/concern from BH should BH ask him if someone put him up to it.

Totally agree Black_raven

H
H
You should have an EP in place that you NEVER discuss your marriage with another man under any circumstance!

The road to perdition is paved with good intentions

Recovery began 10/07;

H
H
L4 - as a wayward you cannot have ANY appearence of wrong doing!

This is why you MUST have EP's in place - to protect your marriage from even the appearence of intimate marital discussions with another man!!!!!

No! NO! NO

Recovery began 10/07;

S
S
tst, she can have her conversation with the BF wife - her friend. Surely?

They are after all both friends of the marriage and then she isn't having the conversation with another man.

Just " it would be great if my H opened up to your H a bit about what has been going on in our lives recently"

H
H
Originally Posted by black_raven
H could still take it badly but given his "stuckness" I'd risk it because it's done out of care.

BR, with all due respect, this is one time I must strongly disagree...... Given L4's H's current state of mind, this is not just a risk, this would easily be seen as a blatent assult that would undo everything L4 has been verbally saying that she would NOT do.

Recovery began 10/07;

Page 61 of 95 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation