Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Hi I have a sitch in general topics but since I am now going through a Divorce thought I could find some others going through the same in Texas

Since I have only been here less than 3 years I do not have alot of info on D here. I have an Atty, I am trying to put up roadblocks to delay the process.

I am scared I am going to lose much more than possible financially. I have charged WH with adultery but I don't know how much it will weigh in financially.

Any others here that can help it would be greatly appreciated. Especially since every time I call the Atty office it will cost me.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
S
S
Texas law is pretty statutory. There's not a lot of situations that aren't typically spelled out in the books. You guys add up your assets since the M, subtract your combined debts (everything is combined since the M), and then each person takes half.

Scenario:

He has a car worth $25K, but still owes $15K. He also has a 401K worth $200K. His assets are worth $210K. He also has $10K in debt (credit cards, loan etc), so his actual net is worth is $200K..

You own your car outright and it's worth $15K. You have a 401K worth $150K. You also have $10K in savings. Your net worth is $175K.

You both own a house worth $300K.

You guys have a combined net worth of $675K. You guys split that and walk away with half.

If you get spousal support or some form of alimony, his attorney is a big sucker. His affair doesn't really factor. If your attorney tells you otherwise, you're being taken for a ride. The courts don't care. Texas is considered no-fault. The only thing that would be affected is custody of any minor children.

Last edited by Seabird; 05/18/09 12:51 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
Seabird thanks for the response, even though it is dismal. The problem is that I have much more in 401K than WH. He wracked up his credit card since the A (which I could prove), he admitted to the A with both daughters. I was hoping with a long term M that would be taken into consideration also.

Everything we have worked for will be lost because of this A. Will my funds from the 401K prior to the M be excluded? I probably had about 20K before we got married which I was hoping to extract. I am worried that I am going to be taken over the coals.

We are going into mediation next month. I am trying to find out ways to drag it out hoping that OW and WH will start love busting.

I hate this stuff.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
D
dkd Offline
D
Originally Posted by hope3343
Will my funds from the 401K prior to the M be excluded?

Yes. You only split assets acquired since the marriage began. For example, my W and bought our house while we were engaged. The loan was entirely in my name, and I put an $10K down payment. I am suppossed to full rights to the house since it was purchased before the marriage, all I would owe her is half the equity minus th $10K downpayment.

You also exclude any gifts give specifically to you, even during the marriage. My father pass away about a year and half a go, and I received a $5K life insurance payment. That money is sitting in a separate account and is known as 'separate property'. I can't use it till after the divorce, but I don't have to split it.

Regarding credit card debt, I'm told that's not 50/50 but based on income somehow. However, if you can prove that he spent the money on something that you don't have access to, then that would factor in. I am not 100% clear on how that works. Related to that, every asset you all have is factored in, so if he bought himself a $5K whatever, you have equal rights to that.

You said you wanted to delay the proceedings? I'd let your lawyer handle that. Be warned that they charge for any contact with you, including email conversations they initiate with you. I've gone a month without talking to my lawyer. I was served about 10 months ago, and we don't even have a proposal written up yet.

Last edited by dkd; 05/19/09 05:30 AM.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
S
S
hope - I think dkd is pretty much on the money here (no pun intended). And now that I think of it, he might be correct w/re to the credit card debt. Unless the cards are in both of your names. But if he had some secret debt accruing that you have no knowledge of, you might not have to split that. I'm kind of fuzzy on that detail. Also, you keep assets prior to the M, and any personal gifts you've received. Even gifts from him. He can't make a claim on any jewelry he gave you, for example.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,084 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation