Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 89 of 100 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 99 100
C
C
Did you ladies know that the Rolling Stones recorded "You Gotta Move", "Wild Horses", and "Brown Sugar" in Muscle Shoals, Alabama?

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Nope. I'm clueless.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Blog on the kids' play....

The Three Trees, aka Absalomina

If you aren't already familiar with the 3 Trees story, here is a link to a short version. http://ruthann1.com/ThreeTrees.htm

Since I was playing the piano and there to practice every day, Mr. C was allowed to take part with the Princess, Dervish, and Val. Of course there were other kids too, but they were not nearly as important.

"Ahhhh, what a day to be a tree!" Young Dervish started the whole play off with rapturous exclamations of how wonderful it was to be a tree in the forest. He and "Chester" were adorable together.

The girls' solos were beautiful, and you would hardly have suspected the days of feuding that led up to their angelic little voices soaring above the orchestra.

Ah yes, we had a live orchestra. We'll come back to that in a moment. There was one teeny little phrase where Val disregarded the identical advice her mother and I had separately given to her, and it didn't sound like it worked out too well for her. Fortunately I am a big enough person that I didn't feel at all smug. (Ha - we all know better than that one, don't we?) But I am pleased to report that the second and third times she sang the tricky part, she did what we suggested and sounded lovely.

And Mr. C, aka The Woodcutter's Assistant, executed his part with flair, but thankfully minus the overacted hunk of ham he had started rehearsals with. Scene-stealing, ad libbing jokes over the lines of established characters... In the end he integrated himself seamlessly into the ensemble cast.

So the orchestra. The strings hadn't been able to make any practices at all, though I had practiced Thursday evening with the 2 guitars and 1 banjo. Oh, and the song where I played the tuba went great! No clue how the recording picked up the instruments, but live it was fantastic. Pizzicato strings, rousing banjo, and oom pah pahs.

When I practiced with the guitars, one of the songs they were supposed to play the second verse by themselves, as the only accompaniment for the soloist. It had been a hard page turn for me there, so I was glad to let them have it. And, since I wouldn't need those two pages anymore, I taped them together to make it easier to turn the page.

Not until I was playing the song did I really start having misgivings about whether or not I should have taped the pages together? What if the guitars forgot? No, no, they won't forget.

Just at the right time I paused to let them take over. Silence.

No way to untape it - I had used sturdy packing tape, having lots of that on hand just now. In for a penny, in for a pound. I plunged on by memory, not perfectly but not disgracefully, either. How grateful I was at that moment for the days of rehearsal.

Right after that song, it was time to take up the offering. I relaxed. This was going to be easy! The strings and guitars and everybody were going to play "Let All Things Now Living" (tune from "The Ash Grove"), while I just played a few arpeggios on the piano as a backdrop. I had even had a chance to practice a bit. What could be simpler?

Were the strings starting first? No, they were looking at me. Fine, fine. I plunked out an intro. It was rather puzzling, but they didn't join me the way I expected. I could hear the guitars playing softly, but no one had the melody. Fine, I wasn't expecting that, but I suppose I can play the melody myself till someone else joins me.

And then there is the play's director standing beside me, putting several more pages of music up for me. Very calmly, "Whenever it's a good time for you, could you please modulate into the key of D?" (I was in F.)

We played it together the second time through, the strings and I.

Neaksis said she knew something had happened by the way we were all grinning at each other afterwards, but didn't really know what was wrong.

It was the climax of the play, where each of the 3 trees learns how their dream really did come true. And then, the most touching moment of all, where Val came forward carrying a cross, to explain that her dream had come true....that now she would always point the way to heaven.

Except that her cross, a good 8 or 10 feet tall, tangled in the manzanita branches of Mrs. Silva, a large and wise old tree. So I am playing beautiful and touching background music to wring tears from every eye, and there is Val, caught in the branches, grunt, push, pull, tug, thwackety thwackety thwackety.

Thus the play came to a very memorable end.

Epilogue

Then the children went and ate lots of goodies, had a hyper evening, and keeled over at 10:30 pm, still twitching.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
D
D
Lovely play!

One of the office cats decided to "feed his pride" (all of us here at work - we're HIS humans) and brought us a coral snake - still alive.

The -ologists (cos I work with many different kinds of "ologists") are arguing whether to keep the POISONIOUS snake!

Now I love snakes...but I wanna know, who's gonna clean the tank? Cos I know what happens at MY house when someone brings a pet home.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
T
T
Well, Val wouldn't have had nearly as much trouble--if ANY--in maneuvering her cross if she hadn't paused to hiss a scowling "Shut UP!" at the Dervish (in response to some juvenile, idiotic, and doubtless provoking remark he made as she passed him in the front row), thus failing to watch where she was going just long enough to blunder into the easily-avoidable tree branches looming ahead.MrRollieEyes

Oddly enough, she didn't take well to my pointing this simple fact out to her. Warmly, yes, but not well...rotflmao However, when she denied saying it, I simply pointed out that I was well able to read her lips, even from the back of the room. laugh kiss

tl

D
D
You've had much practice at reading lips, plus it's one of God's gifts to mamas. The kids come out, you can now read lips! Wah-la!

I'll clean turtle, gekko, and tarantula tanks...but I'm not cleaning a POISONIOUS snake's tank...nah-unh! NO WAY!

I don't care how cute it is.

NO!

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

My Story

Recovered!
C
C
Surely one of the herpatologists can be self-trained in poisonous-snake-tankology.

D
D
Yeah...but whose the mama here?

You got it.

My Story

Recovered!
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Snakes are venomous. Mushrooms and some frogs are poisonous. loveheart

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The Dervish just sent this email to his auntie.

hop a netl dusnt pok your but

A minute ago I was amazed to see "i love you mom!" written on my leg in permanent ink marker. The little rat, uh, rascal sneaked over and drew it on while I was talking on the phone to AJ, instead of being in bed WHERE HE BELONGED!!!

I hop a netl dusnt pok hiz but eethr. grumble

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
D
D
Does it bode well for my mommy abilities that I was able to decipher/understand that?

Nothin' worse then netls pokin' yer butt.

Speaking of, the bull nettles are blooming here. They are SO pretty...but God gave 'em some king heyall protection from little hands wanting to take home a pretty to mommy! I think they are worse'n poison oak!

My Story

Recovered!
T
T
Kimmy, next door has a snake and it absolutely stinks. Snake poo is so strong it smells like the boys toilets at school on a hot summers day. Luckily it doesn't poo everyday! So unless you have a shed for it outside - DON'T DO IT.

D
D
No worries. We had snakes when we were first married...I love them, but I won't have poisonous snakes...

The coral snake was taken to a preserve we manage and set free...PTL!

My Story

Recovered!
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have an interesting bit to add about that email. Neaksis and I were both very surprised to learn that the correct pronunciation for "netl" is NEE-tull. You know, as in a sewing netl. MrRollieEyes rotflmao

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
C
C
Oh, there's lots of craziness today.

Neak, make a photo of the leg....keep it to remind him, when he decides he doesn't love you, that he has already stated that he does love you.

I do not want a netl piercing my anything. I don't want video cameras in my innards, either. I've already had 3 of them since the first of November. I think I have another one due in early July.

Can you imagine the jewelry someone who has been pierced in that are might select? Would they choose studs? Hoops? Dangly jewelry? Hmmmm?

C
C
I am delighted, btw, to learn that the snake has been released into the wild. Remind me it might be lurking if I go into the wild in your area.

D
D
Just wear hiking boots and jeans and you'll be fine against that kind of snake. They have little mouths...I just didn't want to have my petite fingers anywhere near his little mouth.

My Story

Recovered!
A
A
Neak wanted everyone to know she was out of hospital after the op and all was ok. She was travelling home with her mum and promised to take it easy.

Thank God for some good news smile

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

S
S
Good.

We pray for a safe trip for all of them.

and............

We hope the rest of you are happy, and well.

SS

I think sometimes about all the pain in the world. I hope we can ease that here, even if only a little bit.
D
D
Any o'y'all ever wish we could get together and just sit. No need for convo, we're too comfy for that...less someone's got somethin' on their mind. Just sit.

Doesn't work so well online, tho.

Humph.

My Story

Recovered!
Page 89 of 100 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 99 100

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation