Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Just 6 days ago I learned that my husband started an affair with my best friend and his best friend's wife. (our children are also best friends). Since getting caught, he has said some things that I just can not believe. He claims he has found the one true love he has always been searching for and that we have nothing in common. We have been married 22 years and in my mind, we have everything in common. Yes, we have been going through a difficult cycle; I am very much at fault for my actions in the home. (i.e. not showing enough affection and love, etc...) I know that the "girlfriend" has an emotional tie to my husband but is not in love. I want to save my marriage and make it better!!! I can't imagine my life without him - even during our most difficult times I never thought we would end our marriage. He agreed today to counseling; mainly because his girlfriend has called it off. I want him to go to counseling with the ability to keep an open mind about fixing and improving our marriage and not just that one last thing he can do because he owes it to me. Our children are devasted, as you can imagine. Our families were so close. We own a dairyfarm together, show cows together, support our industry together, have many friends together and have spent a majority of our time together. Plus, we have both been great parents to three beautiful daughters. I read that once an affair ends he will go through a withdrawal; I hope that is happening and he will agree to put additional effort into counseling. It is very hard working together when we are both suffering and it has put a great deal of pain and stress on our friends as well. Most hate him, along with his daughters right now. I understand he is dealing with that as well. How can I go about this the right way? I absolutely do not want to lose my best friend (meaning my husband)?

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,643
Q
Member
Member
Q Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,643
Welcome to MB. I'm sorry that you find yourself here.

The right way of going about this is to listen to the vets who give you advice. Your marriage can recover and grow, but you have to listen and be willing.

I am hoping that Melody will be along very soon to get you started. Please take comfort in knowing that we have all been here in one form another and that you are in a very safe place.

What your WH is saying is hogwash and don't listen to him. If you can get Surviving an Affair, read it and read all the articles on here. Gather the information and become very knowledgeable in what is happening.

Next.... just breathe... this didn't happen over night. Nothing can happen over night to make or break this. Having a definetly plan and strategy will truly help you along the journey.



BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,357
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,357
Originally Posted by farmerswife
Just 6 days ago I learned that my husband started an affair with my best friend and his best friend's wife. (our children are also best friends). Since getting caught, he has said some things that I just can not believe. He claims he has found the one true love he has always been searching for and that we have nothing in common. We have been married 22 years and in my mind, we have everything in common. Yes, we have been going through a difficult cycle; I am very much at fault for my actions in the home. (i.e. not showing enough affection and love, etc...) I know that the "girlfriend" has an emotional tie to my husband but is not in love. I want to save my marriage and make it better!!! I can't imagine my life without him - even during our most difficult times I never thought we would end our marriage. He agreed today to counseling; mainly because his girlfriend has called it off. I want him to go to counseling with the ability to keep an open mind about fixing and improving our marriage and not just that one last thing he can do because he owes it to me. Our children are devasted, as you can imagine. Our families were so close. We own a dairyfarm together, show cows together, support our industry together, have many friends together and have spent a majority of our time together. Plus, we have both been great parents to three beautiful daughters. I read that once an affair ends he will go through a withdrawal; I hope that is happening and he will agree to put additional effort into counseling. It is very hard working together when we are both suffering and it has put a great deal of pain and stress on our friends as well. Most hate him, along with his daughters right now. I understand he is dealing with that as well. How can I go about this the right way? I absolutely do not want to lose my best friend (meaning my husband)?

Hooeee - let the Wayward-Speak begin. Farmer's Wife, you've just begun to reclaim your M. The ride will be bumpy, so hang on tight. Vets will be here shortly to help you. Some short comments:
1. He has NOT found his one true love. He has found an addiction that threatens his M.
2. Do NOT blame yourself for any perceived 'problems' in your M.
3. Don't believe anything that comes out of your WH's mouth right now - consider him a falling-down, mumbling drunk. Do not believe that the A is over. Do not believe the AP doesn't 'love' him. She's an addict, too.
4. You need to expose the A to anyone who can help you put pressure on your WH and his AP. Is she married? Call her H with the facts. Do both of your families know? Tell them.

There are other weapons you'll want in your arsenal, as well. You'll be learning about them shortly. I'm sorry you're here, but you've come to the right place.


D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Yes, her family does know and they are devastated as well. During the past, I knew she wanted a divorce from her husband; I am not sure if she used this as her way out. She has called and admitted her mistake (not that it means a whole lot) and stated that all though she had feelings for my husband she was not in love with him. She is the one who asked me if I still loved him and would I try and work it out. I was truthful and said "yes." She said to me she would call it off immediately (I know, careful not to trust her) and encourage him to go to counseling and work on our marriage. As of today, she kept her word because my husband was very angry/sad when he told me that the one person he could talk to had called everything off. Like I mentioned before, I just want him to reflect and go to counseling for the right reasons and with the effort that is needed and not just with an angry heart to appease me.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,222
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,222
You need there to be no contact between your WH and OW. If there continues to be contact, then the affair will not die, and your marriage will not get better. If you own businesses together and such, you need to cut ties. If you are in a rural area and you cross paths w/ the OW, you will need to move. Otherwise, she will always be in the picture and your marriage will not survive.


Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0