Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
G
Not aruging ML - presenting a different POV...adultry is horrible. no doubt about it. I too have been assulted, lost a baby (although it was a miscarriage and I would guess though cant know for sure that losing a child and buring them much much more horrible) and been cheating on - additionaly i have cheated on my H.....so perhaps its different for each person. Dr. harley specializes in adultry though...and recovery of it. Possible a dr. who specializes in domestic violence would disagree?

What I did to my H is much worse for him than if he were assulted...but we have talked about this topic and he says losing a child would be much worse. so its different for each person i think.

Last edited by Sisyphus_HW; 10/30/09 05:09 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Sisyphus_HW
Not aruging ML - presenting a different POV...adultry is horrible. no doubt about it. I too have been assulted, lost a baby (although it was a miscarriage and I would guess though cant know for sure that losing a child and buring them much much more horrible) and been cheating on - additionaly i have cheated on my H.....so perhaps its different for each person. Dr. harley specializes in adultry though...and recovery of it. Possible a dr. who specializes in domestic violence would disagree?

But a doctor who specializes in domestic violence probably wouldn't know about adultery victims, though. Dr Harley has treated thousands who have suffered BOTH: adultery and/or rape, domestic assualt, or the death of the child. It is his CLIENTS who tell him that adultery is the WORST. He has treated thousands of clients over 35 years.

What I did to my H is much worse for him than if he were assulted...but we have talked about this topic and he says losing a child would be much worse. so its different for each person i think.

So he lost a child too? I am so sorry to hear it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
If you read Infidelity - The Lessons Children Learn, you will see the crazymaking effects of infidelity on kids. But growing up in a home with infidelity and domestic violence, I can say that the terror of not knowing when the next beating was coming was far worse than the affair's consequences on us, which were severe in themselves. I'm not saying one kind of abuse is worse than another. But anyone who minimizes the effects of domestic violence on a family is missing part of the story.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
G
G
For each Dr. - there are thousands of cases they treat...I am sure their are Drs. out there that treat all three and would disagree with Harley about which is worse.

The fact is Dr. harleys recovery process after infidieltiy makes logical sense and works...so i follow it as best i can. In fact have recommended his books to several people within last week. Doesnt mean I cant have a different POV on expanded topics beyound just infidentility - nor have lively debate with someone on the issues at hand.

My H doesnt feel the same way about my miscarriage as I do. He forgets about that pregnancy unless someone reminds him... Its -
I felt the child move in me. but - if that pregnancy hadnt gone full term - we wouldnt have DS #2 - so...I am torn about the miscarriage because I love DS#2 so much.

I cant image the grief of losing a child and buring them.

So no we havent lost a child like you have - he says he cant imagine losing one - but even the thought of losing one of our boys to him is more painful than what I did...but of course he hasnt lost one. So he is guessing that it would be worse.

i can see the point your making - but all of this and how a person handles it is highly individualized. i was simpliy offering a different POV.

Last edited by Sisyphus_HW; 10/30/09 05:26 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
I'm not saying one kind of abuse is worse than another. But anyone who minimizes the effects of domestic violence on a family is missing part of the story.

NED, I don't think anyone has minimized the effects of wife beating here, but it is equally important to not minimize the impact of adultery, which is as traumatic, if not WORSE than domestic assault. Dr Harley has treated thousands over the years, and this is his experience. I think people who have never experienced adultery tend to underestimate its devastating toll on its victims:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
The question I am most frequently asked by visitors to this web site is "how can I survive my spouse's affair?" After having counseled thousands of couples with hundreds of marital conflicts, I am completely convinced that a spouse's unfaithfulness is the most painful experience that can be inflicted in marriage. Those I've counseled who have had the tragic misfortune of having experienced rape, physical abuse, sexual abuse of their children, and infidelity have consistently reported to me that their spouse's unfaithfulness was their very worst experience. To be convinced of the devastating impact of infidelity, you only need to go through it once.
How to Survive Infidelity

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
For each Dr. - there are thousands of cases they treat...I am sure their are Drs. out there that treat all three and would disagree with Harley about which is worse.

But they would have no basis on which to disagree with him. He is citing his own case studies, HW. That can't be disputed.

Exposure 101

G
G
ML - by saying adultry is worse - you minimize the affect for some of abuse - for some adultry is worse, for others abuse, for others rape, for others losing a child.

For YOU adultry was worse.

For me - rape and abuse was worse than adultry

for my H - i would say adultry worse than everything else he has experienced in his intire life (including abuse by his parents)...what i did to my H is the flat most horrible, awful, nasty and selfish thing I could EVER do...bottom line.

I just cringe when i see people saying a blanket statement on a forum where you only have the story given - and dont actually know a person. A WS or A BS - you dont know what they have been through.

Last edited by Sisyphus_HW; 10/30/09 05:36 PM.
M
M
ML - by saying adultry is worse - you minimize the affect for some of abuse - for some adultry is worse, for others abuse, for others rape, for others losing a child.

For YOU adultry was worse.

For me - rape and abuse was worse than adultry

for my H - i would say adultry worse than everything else he has experienced in his intire life (including abuse by his parents)...

HW, of course it is not minimizing abuse to say that adultery is worse, that is the legitimate experience of many that you can't dismiss. You have never even experienced adultery or the death of a child so you can't very well dismiss the experience of those who have. Others here have, and many will tell you that adultery is the worst. Do you think its fair to minimize something you have never experienced?

It is an entirely personal experience, but you can't deny that many do rank adultery as the WORST. That has been my own personal experience and the experience of Dr Harley.

Exposure 101

M
M
HW, did you read Dr Harley's quote? He is a clinical psychologist and he reports that clients who have experienced all/most of those tragedies cite adultery as their very worst experience:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
"After having counseled thousands of couples with hundreds of marital conflicts, I am completely convinced that a spouse's unfaithfulness is the most painful experience that can be inflicted in marriage. Those I've counseled who have had the tragic misfortune of having experienced rape, physical abuse, sexual abuse of their children, and infidelity have consistently reported to me that their spouse's unfaithfulness was their very worst experience. To be convinced of the devastating impact of infidelity, you only need to go through it once."

Exposure 101

G
G
so my fiance having sex with a coworker up against a tree before coming home to me doesnt count as adultry?

I would never say adultry is less than rape, or losing a child or abuse. I would say - for each person its different.

and yes i read the quote and agree - for SOME it is the worse...for others it is not. it depends on the person.

You didnt answer my question - was it your spouse who asulted you - cause I would rather my H cheated on me again than EVER have to look into his raging eyes as he had his hand on my throat and squeezed...I could work through infidelity again - he ever touches me again and I am gone.

Last edited by Sisyphus_HW; 10/30/09 05:53 PM.
M
M
so my fiance having sex with a coworker up against a tree before coming home to me doesnt count as adultry?

That is not adultery, HW.

Exposure 101

G
G
because we hadnt taken vows yet - gotcha - his excuse too...still deeply hurt me - still was a betrayl - still causes pain 13 years later...but fine - okay.

this is the same topic that made me stop coming to this site last time - i shouldn known better...

Last edited by Sisyphus_HW; 10/30/09 05:57 PM.
E
E
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
However, my MC says that many many abused women or women in a relationship with controlling or abusive men cheat. Its WRONG and frankly stupid...but it happens alot...he puts it at maybe 75% or 80% of women who are abused end up either having an EA or PA. Often with a man they go to for help or support. Its wrong - they should leave and have the abusive H put in jail.

I don't believe for a second that 75%+ of women's affairs are in marriages where there is abuse. That makes no sense at all given that 40% of women cheat and a very low, low amount are in physically abusive marriages.

If you read what Dr Harley says about most women who leave, they are not the abused, but the neglected.

In fact, when you read Dr Harley about the walk away wife, he states that he cannot convince women who are abused or betrayed to leave. The ones leaving are NOT abused.

But don't take my word for it, read what Dr H says,

"I hurt all the time because I feel alone and abandoned."

"My husband is no longer my friend."

"The only time he pays attention to me is when he wants sex."

"He is never there for me when I need him the most."

"When he hurts my feelings he doesn't apologize."

"He lives his life as if we weren't married; he rarely considers me."

"We're like ships passing in the night, he goes his way and I go mine."

"My husband has become a stranger to me, I don't even know who he is anymore."

"He doesn't show any interest in me or what I do."

Women tend to be more concerned about their marriages than men. They buy most of the books on marriage to try to improve them and initiate most marriage counseling. They often complain about their marriages to their closest friends and sometimes to anyone who will listen. And they also file for divorce twice as often as men.

Why do women seem so dissatisfied with marriage? What do they want from their husbands? What bothers them so much about marriage that most are willing to risk their families' future to escape it?

Why do women leave men?

Each day I am confronted by women who are extremely frustrated with their marriages. They usually express no hope that their husbands will ever understand what it is that frustrates them, let alone change enough to solve the problem. From their perspective, marital problems are created by their husbands who do little or nothing to solve them. Wives tend to see themselves as the major force for resolving conflicts, and when they give up their effort, the marriage is usually over.

When I talk to their husbands, they usually have a very different explanation as to why their wives feel the way they do. They often feel that the expectations of women in general, and their wives in particular, have grown completely out of reach. These men, who feel that they've made a gigantic effort to be caring and sensitive to their wives, get no credit whatsoever for their sizeable contribution to the family. They feel under enormous pressure to improve their financial support, improve the way they raise their children, and improve the way they treat their wives. Many men I see are emotionally exhausted and feel that for all their effort, they get nothing but criticism.

The simpler role of husbands in decades past has now been replaced by a much more complex and confusing role, especially in their relationship with their wives. Some conclude that women are born to complain and men must ignore it to survive. Others feel that women have come to expect so much of men that they are impossible to please, so there's no point in even trying. Very few men, these days, feel that they have learned to become the husbands that their wives have wanted, and the job seems to be getting more and more difficult.

Grounds for Divorce

Men's perceived failure to satisfy their wives is punctuated by the fact that women file for divorce twice as often as men. In other words, their unhappiness with marriage often results in divorce.

The most common reason women give for leaving their husbands is "mental cruelty." When legal grounds for divorce are stated, about half report they have been emotionally abused. But the mental cruelty they describe is rarely the result of their husband's efforts to drive them crazy. It is usually husbands being indifferent, failing to communicate and demonstrating other forms of neglect.

Another reason for divorce reported almost as much as mental cruelty is "neglect" itself. These include both emotional abandonment and physical abandonment. Husbands that work away from the home, sometimes leaving their wives alone for weeks at a time, fall into this category.

When all forms of spousal neglect are grouped together, we find that it is far ahead of all the other reasons combined that women leave men. Surprisingly few women divorce because of physical abuse, infidelity, alcoholism, criminal behavior, fraud, or other serious grounds. In fact, I find myself bewildered by women in serious physical danger refusing to leave men that threaten their safety.[color:#FF0000]

Simply stated, women leave men when they are neglected. Neglect accounts for almost all of the reasons women leave and divorce men.

I have little trouble convincing most men that verbal and physical abuse are legitimate reasons for their wives to leave. And there has been increasing social pressure on men lately to avoid hurting their wives physically and verbally, which makes my job even easier.

But neglect is a much tougher sell, and it is also much more difficult to overcome than abuse. While it is the most important reason women leave men, it is hard to convince men that it is a legitimate reason, something they should avoid at all costs.

Some of the common complaints I hear from women is, "He ignores me except when he wants sex, he sits and watches television when he could be talking to me, he rarely calls me to see how I'm doing, he hurts my feelings and then never apologizes: Instead, he tells me I'm too sensitive."

Most husbands are mystified by these complaints. They feel that their wives demand too much, and that most other women would be ecstatic if married to them. Their wives have become spoiled, take their efforts for granted and have unrealistic expectations.

Do women expect too much of their husbands or are men doing less for their wives than they should? I've proven to husbands over and over again that their wives usually do not expect too much of them, and when they understand and respond to their wives' frustration, the complaining ends and a terrific marriage begins.

What's more, their wives are not expecting more effort from them. Instead, they expect efforts in a different direction. It isn't more difficult to please women these days, it simply requires a change in the priority of effort.

What are women looking for in men? They want a soul mate, someone they trust who is there for them when they have a problem, who takes their feelings into account when decisions are being made. Someone to whom they feel emotionally connected.

You can read the whole thing at:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8111_leave.html

Although it is not a true statisical standard, in the 8 years I have been here, about 90% of female cheaters CLAIM abuse and it has been true in TWO cases. Wayward wives are liars just like male cheaters and they very often use the abuse card to justify their cheating and pander pity. Playing the victim is CLASSIC wayward wife behavior.

I can't count the times some skank OW and her WS manipulated some poor deluded BS into not exposing the affair because "her husband beat her" and it turned out to be a LIE. One that comes to mind is board member Kimberly and she was so scared the OW's H would beat her up that she checked to see if he had any record.[never reported to the police, of course] It turned out, after she spoke to OW's brother, that it was all a big fat lie. AS USUAL.

Even so, even wife beaters deserve to know their wives are abusing them. Dr Harley addresses that in his newsletter. She is to separate FIRST and then tell him of the affair.

I think the most important take away is to NOT CHEAT if you don't want to get beat up. That is a job hazard of cheating. If you are not willing to take that risk, you might oughta keep your britches up.

So Sysyphus_HW, which do you choose to believe, the Dr who has counseled thousands, or your instincts? It's my opinion that your MC wants to make you feel better about yourself, by helping you justify your affair.

The only way I would believe that is if those 75%+ percent of women are also abusers. That they are a co-conspirator in a cycle of abuse.

I doubt they are victims. Most are likely volunteers, dishing out abuse as well as their abusive partner.

I'll go with the Dr who has enough personal experience in this arena to know that most who leave are not abuse victims.

I'll address the comments about betrayal not leading to death in a later post.

E
E
Oddly, the only beat downs I know of since I have been here have not been husbands beating up wayward wives, but BHs beating up OM. And they did not beat them up upon discovery, but weeks or months after D-Day.

So, I would have to say that the ones who have the greatest chance of getting beat up are the OTHER MEN. I hope they take that into account when they choose to have an affair with a married woman, because chances are great you might get beat up.

Actually, my XWW hit me, but the cops did nothing. Now it wasn't a beat down. But I never struck her, never cursed her, nor called her names.

Now she hit me, called me everything imaginable. Yet according to her, the faithful husband, she was a victim and I was a bad husband.

Ignorant and failed to meet needs. Yes, guilty. Unwilling or unable to meet needs. Nope! I can't read minds, never could, never will.

G
G
i have never justifitied my ONS (which resulted in the OM inviting up three friends who forced me to stay in room and rape me)..i went to that room - I am responsible and I did it because I wanted attention - I cheated on my actions caused me to be hurt - my H was a thousan + miles away - how the hell could any of what happened be his fault....none of what I did was not even remotely my Hs fault...not even close!

and i do think dr. harleys plan works.
and I didnt say my MC (with 30+ years MC for couples where there is angery problems, adultry and domestic violence) said those women leave - he said they cheat...which often makes their situation worse.

Last edited by Sisyphus_HW; 10/30/09 06:08 PM.
E
E
Your right - lots of women lie and makes it harder for those who it really happened to.

I disagree - but maybe a topic for a different thread:

1)you cant die from being cheated on - you can be KILLED by physical assult.
False, a betrayed spouse may become suicidal. I contemplated killing myself when I was betrayed.

A betrayed spouse may be given a fatal STD from the cheating spouse. That's a death sentence as well. How many unfaithful wives kill their husbands or arrange to have him killed.

It's pretty naive to think that infidelity can't kill. It kills everyday.
2) Cheating is a breaking of vows, a violation of trust, a deep personal injury - physical assult is a breaking of vows, a violation of trust and a deep personal and physical injury...

A man is supposed to be his wifes protectors - to hurt her breaks his vows to her and violates their trust...its a deeper violation than if a stranger violated her - her H did this to her.

A women is supposed to forsake all others and in fact hurts her H in a way no one else could EVER hurt him when she cheats

I say cheating and phsyical assult are Very similar betrayls and should be treated very much the same

Exposre often can stop an abuser...and make them accountable to their friends and family

fullfilling Love Banks and putting your needs first can change your focus.
counseling etc...

But just like a revenage affair is wrong - cheating on an abuser is wrong
two wrongs dont make a right...or equal anything out...to abuse your spouse is wrong ...period
to cheat is wrong -regardless of what spouse has done - period.

Yes, and it can be fatal to the betrayed or the wayward spouse.

E
E
i have never justifitied my ONS (which resulted in the OM inviting up three friends who forced me to stay in room and rape me)..i went to that room - I am responsible and I didnt because I wanted attention...none of what I did was even remotely my Hs fault...not even close!

and i do think dr. harleys plan works.
and I didnt say my MC (with 30+ years MC for couples where there is angery problems, adultry and domestic violence) said those women leave - he said they cheat...which often makes their situation worse.

Cheating is leaving. Do the research. When women cheat, they typically only do so when they are emotionally divorced in their minds from their husbands.

They've already left, emotionally. That's how they justify the affair. They say to themselves that they are not emotionally fulfilled. They've closed their love bank to any deposits from their husbands and have allowed another man to open an account.

Most are gone. I'd say 1 in 20 return to their husbands, just looking at the sample space here.

So in 95% of the cases where a woman cheats, she's already abandoned, she's already left her husband. She just hasn't told him yet.

G
G
okay - if thats the numbers I conceed. I would prefer not to do research on this subject, as its bad enough I am part of a % of women who have cheated. I only know of my own personal experience - which doesnt match what you say - but thats just me...i must be in the 5%. Would rather do the hard heavy lifting - my H is not perfect, but he is a good man, the father of my children. And I know beyound a shadow of a doubt that I dont want any other man. my experience with other men unfortunatley was a horrible wake up call to how awful some men can be and that my Husband - should we recover from the devistation i have wrought - is worth holding on to for dear life and living every day for.

Last edited by Sisyphus_HW; 10/30/09 06:19 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Yes, and it can be fatal to the betrayed or the wayward spouse.

About every other month, someone will post an article about some betrayed spouse who was killed, committed suicide or killed a wayward spouse over an adulterous affair. I live in Texas and can tell you about a recent case where a BS ran over and killed her WS in the parking lot of a hotel. Those are just the ones we find out about. Here is one of BobPure's acquaintences who hung himself over his wife's affair: here

Exposure 101

G
G
i have no doubt the damage that is done. I agree with you.

My H begged me to shoot him, then begged me to call the cops, let him pull a gun on them and let THEM shoot him.

i do not doubt what you are saying - all I am saying is please dont doubt that abuse, rape, losing a child can be JUST AS DEVISTATING to some...it all depends on the person.

All I am saying is - you MUST go case by case. That is all.

and the horror inflected on a person who is cheated on - even if dating - can be just as bad as a married person. I have a close friend - whose bf cheated on her the same weekend I cheated on my H. She is broken apart and devistated...oodly she came to me for help. we both try to help each other. But she wasnt married - but if you try and tell her what she is feeling is the same because they werent married - i think she would strongly disagree.

Case by case basis is ALL I am saying.

It is arrogant to assume that yours is worse than anothers. I would never think i can understand the pain my H is feeling. If you try and tell me you understand what it was like for me to be abused or raped - i would laugh at you. The fear i feel walking down the street is crippeling at times. you cant possibly know. I cant possibly know your experience.

Last edited by Sisyphus_HW; 10/30/09 06:37 PM.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation