This posting really touched my heart- she was in a bad marriage for 30 years, finally left, waited 11 to date, now married to a wonderful man. I know in my heart that I made the right decision, and the drastic improvement in my son that everyone comments on confirms it, but sometimes lonliness still makes me wonder if I did the right thing, and if I'll ever find companionship in the future.

Anon, my heart breaks for you. I lived with a man like your husband for 30 years. I stayed because I tried to tell myself it wasn't so bad and others had it much worse. I stayed because I wasn't sure I could support myself and my sons. I stayed because I was scared to do anything else. For the last several years he was having affairs with his college students, while telling me he couldn't "<-modesty-> for someone like me." The damage he did to our sons' self esteem and ideas of what a man should be is still being sorted out.

To make a long story short, I was able to support myself and put my kids through college. I was single for eleven years before I dated again. I am married again to a wonderful man. The wounds to my ego are still there at times, but show up less often every year.

Girl, you can do it. You must do it - for yourself as well as your kids.

You can read the whole thread at:
http://askville.amazon.com/respond-...Board.do?requestId=8290062&page=4#db

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer