Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
The PBR (Professional Bull Riders) just crowned their 2009 World Champion in Las Vegas this past weekend. Kody Lostroh out lasted J. B. Mauney having entered the finals with a slight lead over Mauney and Brazilian rider, Guilherme Marchi.

Mauney kept up the pressure, riding eight bulls in eight rounds and winning the event itself. Lostroh was able to edge him out at the end by virtue of matching him in all but the final round and notching the top score in three consecutive rounds.

Bull riding is much like dealing with an affair. First of all, you find yourself actually climbing onto the back of a bull of your own free will, straddling his flanks and hanging onto a rope that is wrapped around the bull�s midsection and held in place only by the grip of your hand. Hanging on depends entirely on how well you are able to hang on.

Once you think you�re as ready as you�re going to get, you nod your head, the gate opens and that is when the real fun begins.

The bull suddenly explodes from the chute. He leaps into the air. He spins. He kicks; he rolls. He rears his head trying to smash your face with his horns. An animal that can weigh as much as a truck and can jump as high as Michael Jordan, run as fast as Michael Johnson and changes directions faster than Michael Vick fleeing a double corner blitz does all that he can to dislodge you from your seat and dissuade you from your goal.

It only has to last eight seconds but only the best and toughest in the world can make it that long. The average person would be sent flying through the air to land in the middle of the arena, face down, hurt and dazed as a 2300 pound angry bull attempts to make him pay for the effort with his very life.

And when the bull leaves the arena and you�ve escaped with your life, for now, you pick yourself up, dust off your chaps, gather your wits and prepare for the next round. You see this is the World Finals and there are 7 more rounds for those who hope to prove they have what it takes.

The best of the best study the bulls they are going to ride. They look at tapes of those who have ridden the same bull in the past. They ask for advice. They prepare themselves mentally for the challenge. They lift weights, exercise daily and build the strength they will need for the eight second whirlwind known as Chicken on a Chain, Scene of the Crash , Ground Zero or Depths of Despair.

Sometimes you ride, get off and get away. Sometimes you get to feel what it�s like to be a Yard Dart. Some times you get hurt. Sometimes you get stomped and sometimes you get run over whether you lasted till the buzzer or not.

Once the ride is done, you aren�t finished. With luck the bull chases one of the bull fighters for a while and leaves you alone as you figure out where you are and where the fence is to get to safety. With a little less than the best of luck you find yourself running from a freight train praying for someone to pull you to safety.

It�s the wrecks that take their toll. It will be those times when you find yourself sailing over the center of the arena knowing that your landing in the dirt from 15 feet in the air is going to take the wind out of you, zapping your strength and the ability to run from the bull that is sure to see your weakness. It will be the landing on your feet after an easy ride with the cheers of the crowd in your ears, ready to take a bow and bask in the glory of your success only to be hit from behind by Voodoo Child as he runs you down at 30 miles per hour, being sure to land each hard hoof in the small of your back as he passes by. With luck one of the bull fighters will attract his attention long enough for them to carry you out, get you patched up, your wounds bandaged, that broken leg taped up and the dislocated finger or shoulder popped back into place so that you can try it all over again.

And the worst wreck of all is when your hand hangs up in the bull rope and you simply don�t seem to be able to let go. The bull spins and kicks and tries to gore you as you are dragged around feeling completely helpless, praying that this nightmare ends before you have breathed your last.

You see, the bull doesn�t really want you dead; he only wants you to leave him alone�

To do the things that bulls do�

When you ride bulls for a living you have to ride the bull.

No guts, no glory.
No pain, no gain.
No ride no pay.

Cowboy up.
Mount up.
Strap up.
Hang on.

It�s gonna be a wild ride�

Or you could just go work at McDonald�s�

Mark

P
P

Tell her this how my AP likes it and try to hold on for 8 seconds?

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
M
OP Offline
M
So I guess I'm the only bull ridin' fan in the whole place...

Does nobody else see a parallel to a BH facing his fear in Plan A while his wife continues an affair?

Do I need to splain it to ya?

P
P
Here's a similar bull analogy (not sure where I heard it from)

Two old cowboys were were listening to a bull rider talk to his buddy while getting ready to ride a bull for the win.

The buddy kept telling the bull rider that it was real simple, all he had to do was stay on the bull for 8 seconds and he was the winner.

The one old cowboy turned to his friend and said "That boy is going to find out there's a big difference between simple and easy"

Just like riding a bull, plan A is simple. In a nutshell you meet her emotional needs like you did when you were dating. Riding a bull is simple too. You have to hold on for 8 seconds.

When your WW is deep in an affair, meeting those EN isn't easy. Just like riding a bull.

Me BH 35 WW 36
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009
M
OP Offline
M
It's the wrecks that'll get to ya...

A
A
Couple of quick comments Mark,

The �bull fighters� are called rodeo clowns. But I do see the analogy (or is it a metaphor) just the same.

And

The handlers rub Canned Heat on what the bull considers some mighty important parts an instant before the gate opens. Just in case the bull is minding his own damn business when you climb on. I see the metaphor here too.

Oh, and just because you ride that bull for your full 8 seconds does not mean you win anything worthwhile in the end. It�s a rodeo, not a one trick pony.

And yes, I have ridden. A lifetime ago. Every boy had to, sooner or later, where I grew up. Or be called a [censored]. Which in retrospect is not as bad as being called an adulterer, I imagine.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M
Maybe most of us aren't getting the analogy because most of us not into the sport consider bull riders to be OUT OF THEIR EVER-LOVIN' MINDS.

Which is delicious irony as most non-MB people look at those BSs who try to save a marriage to an active WS in the same terms.

The Macnut-42, W - 45 3 stepkids,
SDD - 27, SDS1 - 22, SDS2 - 18
P
P
One of my fav mini-books ... which I bought based on a recommendation I heard here on MB ..

"Don't Squat With Yer Spurs On" - A cowboy's guide to life

Written by Texas Bix Bender

~~~~~~~~~~

page 33
Makin' it in life is kinda
like bustin' broncs:
you're gonna get thrown a lot.
The simple secret
is to keep gettin' back on.

P
P
page 25

Never try to run a
bluff when your
poke's empty.

P
P
page 18

When dealin' with a
slick son of a [censored],
start by pinnin'
him down and changin'
his oil.

G
G
rotflmao

D-Day #1 Aug/2007.
D-Day #2 1/27/12
Legally Separated
P
P
page 55

Remember,
even a kick in the
caboose is a
step forward.

P
P
I get what you are saying. I have been thrown off of that bull and it hurts real bad. I would like to get back on but don't know if it will let me. Will probably get thrown off several more times before I either give up and go home or win.

BW-me 47yrs
WH-him 50yrs
married 24yrs, together 25 yrs,DD 25yrs, DD 22yrs(granddaughter born 3/14/2012).
D-Day#1 discovered cell phone calls 6/30/2009
D-Day#2 7/26/2009
Plan D 06/2012/WH served 8/17/12
WH left 7/25/2009/WH moved in with OW 7/29/2009
Trying to reconcile 12/30/2009/left 10/22/2010
2nd OW 8/2011? and living in Idaho.
"Dochas" Gaelic for hope which I have with me at all times because it is tattooed on my lower back.
M
OP Offline
M
Aphelion,

The bull fighters are called "bull fighters." Rodeo clowns sometimes hold that position in smaller venues, actually the bull fighters hold the position of clown. Some still dress in bright colors and a few even paint their face, but there are now competitions for what has become known as American Freestyle Bullfighting. Their only job is to keep the cowboys safe. Some end up with broken bones, punctured lungs and a bunch of other injuries because they were doing what they are paid to do, get between the cowboy and the bull.

Just so you know, nobody rubs anything on any part of the bulls, unless they are getting a massage for a sore muscle or something. These animals can cost close to a million bucks, They are pampered a lot more on tour that the riders.

Bulls buck simply because the flank rope is pulled tight around their hind quarters. The great ones stand still until the gate opens and then blow up. The really great ones are smart enough to know when they have done a great job and will stand in the arena when the cowboy has been thrown as if taking a bow for the crowd.

If someone had to rub something on their private parts to get them to buck, then the timing would have to be perfect in order to wait till the gate was about to open and then git 'er done before they left the chute. If it was something rubbed on them that caused them pain they wouldn't stop bucking when the cowboy came off their back.

In high school rodeos, some of the bucking bulls actually have learned to stop at the whistle to let the kids get off without getting hurt. A foreign substance would not allow for that since it can't be applied to make them buck like crazy for 8 seconds and then quit bucking.

Mark (Who has been a fan of the PBR since it was called the BRO -Bull Riders Only)

H
H
I've been to the NFR about a half dozen times and have seen great bull riders and awesome bulls. A particular bull by the name of Bodacious sticks in my mind. And what about those cowboys? Wooo - Whooo .... and they're pretty polite and friendly at the Black Jack tables afterwards. Love - Love - Love those George Strait look-alikes in Wranglers, but I digress.

Another similarity -- you may ride the full 8 seconds or get bucked off right out of the chute, but you always gotta watch out for that "guacamole dip." Hard to not be involved in an affair -- as the wayward or the BS -- and not end up with some crap on your boots or your face.

And interesting how the bulls don't always go the way Donny Gay says. He'll say a particular bull with go to the right 99% of the time, and you watch and it goes to the left. The unexpected does happen. And sometimes you get an option for a reride just because the bull wasn't at it's best. Some bulls just can't perform every day.

I just wish Plan A or B lasted only 8 seconds. I would get on a bull today if all it took was 8 seconds for my life to get semi-back to normal. I'd even risk a broken bone or two.

M 25 yrs, 3 teens
Dday 12/07
5ish False Recoveries (all in 2008)
12/08 WH moves in w/OW, her kids
Plan B/D/FU -- depending on the day
He files 1/09; D final 12/2012
"I'm moving on"

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation