Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BCboy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I listened to a report regarding senior sexuality on CBC radio today.

The researcher did a survey of around 300 Canadians between the ages of 50 to 92 with a significant percentage who winter in Florida and here is what they found:
1) Seniors are behaving much like teenagers when it comes to sex
2) They are not practicing safe sex and seem oblivious to the risks of HIV infection
3) Many of the men are dating younger women

And here is the one that I found surprising
4) 8 per cent of the married respondents were regularly dating outside of marriage.

With statistics like this no wonder the divorce business is thriving. Don't people realize the damage they do with this kind of behaviour? Unbelievable.

K
K
If you think about it, most seniors have the same problem that teens do, ignorance.

They weren't really told about things like HIV, or if they were probably believe the (very incorrect) idea that only gay people get it (which is nonsense).

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
G
G
Check out my signature line to show testimony to this report. Oh, yes, the OW was half his age.

Last edited by goldenyears; 11/19/09 07:30 AM.

D-Day EA 11/29/08
D-Day PA 12/12/08

M
M
Originally Posted by goldenyears
Check out my signature line to show testimony to this report. Oh, yes, the OW was half his age.

Now, now Goldie, you guys aren't seniors!! 63 is too young to be a "senior"...kiss

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

B
B
Age is not a sign a maturity. smile

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
P
P
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
63 is too young to be a "senior"
faint

P
P
Originally Posted by karmasrose
If you think about it, most seniors have the same problem that teens do, ignorance.

They weren't really told about things like HIV, or if they were probably believe the (very incorrect) idea that only gay people get it (which is nonsense).

You are walking on the edge of disaster Karmarose ...

"most seniors" ... REALLY ? MOST? IGNORANCE?
crybaby

K
K
I meant seniors that are, say, 70 years+.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

P
P
I meant seniors that are, say, 70 years+.

REALLY? MOST?

How do you know this?

K
K
Because I know more than one with ideas such as I outlined to you...

And STDs were not really talked about in those days, and if they were, misinformation was filtered in.

P
P
Because I know more than one with ideas such as I outlined to you...
rotflmao

K
K
It's true, I ask them, say, aren't they concerned about AIDs or something and they say "I don't have to worry about that, only gays get it" and when I try to explain otherwise they say I am an stupid liberal championing for the gay community. (I live in the South...so if I challenge these things in the least I'm a stupid liberal)

P
P
8 per cent of the married respondents were regularly dating outside of marriage.

8% seems like it might be on the lower end if compared to other (younger) married people.

P
P
It's true, I ask them, say, aren't they concerned about AIDs or something and they say "I don't have to worry about that, only gays get it" and when I try to explain otherwise they say I am an stupid liberal championing for the gay community. (I live in the South...so if I challenge these things in the least I'm a stupid liberal)

I must be wrong.
You do know what "most" old people think based on your research/experience.
I thought I knew what I thought, but based on your research/experience, I must change my views.

I'm just having fun with your bias.

K
K
I didn't mean to start a debate, was all.

I just offered my thoughts. I forget most doesn't mean all.

R
R
Haven't posted in months, but as a member of the over-60 crowd residing in the South, I cannot permit such a sweeping statement about us to pass uncontested.

Many of my contemporaries are, indeed, aware of STDs, and how AIDS is transmitted.

Problem is, like most everyone else, they usually don't use their heads when engaging in extramarital affairs. My own FWH included, unfortunately.

Me BS 61
Him FWS 63
Married 40 years
D-Day 6/30/06
Still can't believe it.
6/08 Recovering nicely. Anything is possible!
K
K
Perhaps the problem, then, is not ignorance, but arrogance.

"It won't happen to me!"

Same problem as teens?

R
R
I think you've nailed it now.

ETA ...and most everyone in between who has an affair...

Last edited by rightherewaiting; 11/19/09 02:21 PM.

Me BS 61
Him FWS 63
Married 40 years
D-Day 6/30/06
Still can't believe it.
6/08 Recovering nicely. Anything is possible!
G
G
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
Originally Posted by goldenyears

Now, now Goldie, you guys aren't seniors!! 63 is too young to be a "senior"...kiss

Mrs. W

Oh, yes, I forgot about Katharine Hepburn in "On Golden Pond" telling Henry Fonda "We're middle-aged." His response "H*ll, Ethel, who lives to be 120?" was priceless. Thanks, Mrs. W.

GY

Last edited by goldenyears; 11/19/09 02:34 PM.

D-Day EA 11/29/08
D-Day PA 12/12/08

G
G

Oh, no, Karma, I know you didn't just imply that everyone in our good ole South is a tad on the ignorant side. Look a bit harder; many of us brighter than that. : kiss

D-Day EA 11/29/08
D-Day PA 12/12/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,115 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation