Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2289588 12/15/09 05:25 PM
W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Just wondering if anyone has read this book, and if so, what they thought of it.

It's called "Marriage Undercover" by Bob and Audrey Meisner.

From what I can tell, it's the story of a husband and wife dealing with the wife's affair. Apparently, she became pregnant by the OM. I was thinking of ordering a copy.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
M
M
Hey writer, I do alot of reading on here but have never posted. My wife and I are in the same boat as you and your husband are. She had a short but intense affair in 07, got pregnant, and all hell broke loose. I decided to stay with her and we are still together raising our 5th child, an 18 month old beautifull baby girl. It is a very long story. Yes we did read that book and I would recomend it. Hang in there, M.U.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks mesedup. I'm going to order it. This can be such a lonely road sometimes, and it helps to read the stories of others who have been in similar situations.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
G
G
Tell us what you think of it after you read it.

Last edited by Gack1; 12/18/09 12:17 PM.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
P
P
Originally Posted by mesedup
Hey writer, I do alot of reading on here but have never posted. My wife and I are in the same boat as you and your husband are. She had a short but intense affair in 07, got pregnant, and all hell broke loose. I decided to stay with her and we are still together raising our 5th child, an 18 month old beautifull baby girl. It is a very long story. Yes we did read that book and I would recomend it. Hang in there, M.U.

Welcome to the forum, former lurker.

M
M
Thanks pep

D
D
>This can be such a lonely road sometimes

((((((Writer))))))

I totally get that.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
F
F
Yep!!

Me BS
D Day 4-2-2005
OC born 12-2004
DS 21, DS 12
Married 1993

May the love hidden deep inside your heart find the love waiting in your dreams. May the laughter that you find in your tomorrow wipe away the pain you find in your yesterdays.

Recovering....it's a long road, even with a dedicated FWH
P
P
I am also in a similar situation. My wife was in an affair from around July 07. She got pregnant in the process. I did not discover about the affair till mid 09 when hell broke loose. She confessed to me what happened and i forgave her and made up my mind to take of the child. My problem is that the same guy has been trying all means to convince my wife to hook up again.I will surely buy this book.

M
M
PathtoRecovery, the best solution would be for your wife to send him a no contact letter and agree to never ever contact him again. The best book for your situation would be Surviving an Affair. Every contact between your wife and her lover is a threat to your marriage. Here is a good post written by Dr Harley about this subject:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
I am revising SAA and it should be in print sometime in 2011, and the problem you raise will be included in it. But it's particularly difficult to address because of our no-contact-with-the-ex-lover rule on the one hand, and the need of a child to have contact with their natural parents on the other. Our radio archives have more on this subject than anything I've written so far, because we've had several listeners call in with this problem, and I describe the approach I take.

As you probably already know by now, I tilt toward keeping the marriage healthy at the possible expense of the child not having adequate contact with the OM. I recommend that at the time of birth, the other man not be mentioned on the birth certificate unless he demands it. That makes your husband the legal parent of the child. If he does demand being on the birth certificate, I recommend that he pay child support until the child is 19. If the OM wants visitation, I recommend that it be done with transparency, so his own family knows what's going on. A mediator, paid by him, is to pick up and deliver the child so that you and your husband never have to have any contact with him.

In almost all cases that I've witnessed, the OM isn't willing to be named on the birth certificate, pay the child support, or make the situation known to his family. Under those conditions, I highly suggest that he not be able to visit his child until he or she is an adult. If an attempt is made, I suggest getting a restraining order. While that policy seems very rigid and uncaring toward the child, the alternatives are usually disastrous. Having an old lover around, the cause of your husband's greatest sadness, has such an devastating effect on the marriage that few survive.

Having heard from some of the couples who have followed this way of thinking, and others who have done the opposite, I am confident that it is the best approach to your situation.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

another on the importance of absolute no contact for life:

Dr. Harley in Coping with Infidelity: Part 2
How Should Affairs End?

Never see or communicate with a former lover

Once an affair is first revealed, whether it's discovered or admitted, the victimized spouse is usually in a state of shock. The first reaction is usually panic, but it's quickly followed by anger. Divorce and sometimes even murder are contemplated. But after some time passes (usually about three weeks), most couples decide that they will try to pull together and save their marriage.

The one having an affair is in no position to bargain, but he or she usually tries anyway. The bargaining effort usually boils down to somehow keeping the lover in the loop. You'd think that the unfaithful spouse would be so aware of his or her weaknesses, and so aware of the pain inflicted, that every effort would be made to avoid further contact with the lover as an act of thoughtfulness to the stunned spouse. But instead, the unfaithful spouse argues that the relationship was "only sexual" or was "emotional but not sexual" or some other peculiar description to prove that continued contact with the lover would be okay.

Most victimized spouses intuitively understand that all contact with a lover must end for life. Permanent separation not only helps prevent a renewal of the affair, but it is also a crucial gesture of consideration to someone who has been through he11. What victimized spouse would ever want to know that his or her spouse is seeing or communicating with a former lover at work or in some other activity?

In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
Originally Posted by PathToRecovery
I am also in a similar situation. My wife was in an affair from around July 07. She got pregnant in the process. I did not discover about the affair till mid 09 when hell broke loose. She confessed to me what happened and i forgave her and made up my mind to take of the child.
Welcome to the club that no man ever wanted to be a part of.

Do you have other children?

Last edited by Gack1; 02/03/10 11:19 AM.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
T
T
Path
How did you find out?

How did WW meet the OM?

You need to read up on MB about NC, no contact, and NC letter.

Who knows about the affair?

Was a DNA test done to confirm if your not the dad?

Maybe you start your own thread.

P
P
Through SMS on her phone?
My WW met with OM at work. The worked under the same goverment ministry. Her sisters, some of her friends and a conselling pastor.
No need for the DNA the kid is look-alike to the OM.

P
P
Yes two boys between us.

T
T
Does the WW and the OM still work for the same business?

Must be NC between them and there won't be with them still working together. Continued contact is the reason your marriage is not going well.

Also you need your own thread. You need to hit the contact button that say's NOTIFY in the bottom of the post box. Then a moderator can help you start your own thread.

P
P
Still work under the same department but in different provinces (states). Her work transfers are very frequent and I fear soon and very soon they may end up in the same district. I have recommended to her to move to different department where transfers are less frequent. She is still undecided but I have very categorical with the issue. Her insistence to stay in the same department has been my cause of concern. How do I have convince her to make a move to a different department?

T
T
"Also you need your own thread. You need to hit the contact button that say's NOTIFY in the bottom of the post box. Then a moderator can help you start your own thread."

Forget different departments. This will not be the first time affair partners are separated but later on the company moves them back together later on. Just due to normal business reorganization.

This is why you must expose at work. It may get one or both fired. Though you will then have NC at work.

P
P
Originally Posted by PathToRecovery
I am also in a similar situation. My wife was in an affair from around July 07. She got pregnant in the process. I did not discover about the affair till mid 09 when hell broke loose. She confessed to me what happened and i forgave her and made up my mind to take of the child. My problem is that the same guy has been trying all means to convince my wife to hook up again.I will surely buy this book.

PTR,

Since your FWW works or has the potential to work with the OM, as well as the OM OPENLY soliciting your wife, you and your WW need to take extraordinary precautions to keep OM / WW from contacting each other. My suggestion would be to have your WW file a temporary restraining order against the OM. If it goes through, your wife's employer will have to make sure that OM does not come into contact with your wife.

Me BH 49 WXW 50
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009
I
I
Originally Posted by Gack1
Welcome to the club that no man ever wanted to be a part of.

Amen to that. I should check out this book now that I got some time on my hands.

BH - age 33
WW - age 33, pregnant w/OC, due Jun. 2010
M - 12 yrs
DS x3 (12, 6, 2)
DD x1 (8)
D-day 9-9-09
Plan D - Divorce Papers served 11-12-09
WW moved in w/OM 1-30-10 (DS12 Bday)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,097 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation