Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
C
C
It's not the common interest sharing that is a threat to the marriage, it is the boundaries in which you conduct and protect yourself with while doing so.

Understood.

I think we're saying the same thing with different words. For example, there will be men @ the sci-fi film festivals and they share that interest with me; however, if there's one there who I am always hanging out with when I go and I make plans to meet him alone I am threatening my marriage.

M
M
Originally Posted by ChrisInNOVA
Not exactly. I am referring to the "seeking comfort" behavior that some people try to do with members of the opposite sex which leads to inappropriate closeness and bonded feelings.

This forum is awesome because we're all providing assistance to each otherand we really don't get to see each other, smell each others pheremones, share knowing glances, and share intimacies which are a threat to our marriages.

Whoa! I wish I had a nickel for every story I've read on here about A's that started in online gaming and chat rooms. uhuh

And I want to know why I keep wishing for nickels and never get any...

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
EDIT TO ADD:

Apparently, there ARE people who have NEVER shared/discussed a common interest with a member of the opposite sex. I have been corrected.

If YOU are such a person, please share WHY you NEVER shared or discussed common interests with a member of the opposite sex.

Thanks ~

((Raising hand))

I never did it (even before marriage) because I instinctively know that my romantic partner should be the only person of the opposite sex to share common interests / activities with. My parents were a great example of that. IMO, sharing common interests / activities with a member of the opposite sex builds bonds which threatens your romantic relationship.

It just always seemed obviously inappropriate to me that I should go rock climbing or to the Star Trek convention with JIM if I am exclusively dating John or married to Tom. It would be OK for me to do those things with other females though because the bonds formed there are different. I am not romantically attracted to females.

The same thing goes for discussing probs in the relationship with another male. Inappropriate bonds start to form.

Does that make sense?

*Thanks for the link Fred.

Ditto! I thought everyone knew this!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
I'm sorry but all of you who say you never do it are here visiting a public, online BB with an anonymous name posting very personal information about your marriage and your spouse - all behind his or her back to boot!! I realize there's a good reason you are here, anonymously and without your spouse knowing, but nevertheless, you ARE doing it.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I say that I never do that, and I am not on here posting behind my husband's back.

smile

Showing up at Walmart to buy the same item on sale is not "sharing an interest." There is no sharing. Just because two of us happen to be in the same place wanting the same thing doesn't mean we are "sharing" the experience TOGETHER. Now, if I start to chat with the woman next to me about the item, or if I strike up a conversation with the cute guy who picked up the same item, THAT would be sharing. And THAT'S when it becomes inappropriate and dangerous behavior with the opposite sex.

Talking to a group is different than confiding to a single member of the opposite sex. It's a lot harder to become romantically interested in a man if I'm talking to a group, rather than just that one man. Especially here, where I know that any sign of flirting would DEFINITELY be shot down as inappropriate.

I do not have male friends. Markos doesn't have female friends. I do not interact with men without Markos full knowledge. He doesn't interact with women without my full knowledge. I do not talk to men about my marriage unless Markos is involved. I certainly don't talk to men about my interests unless Markos is present and he and I are seen as a unit.

Markos and I met online. We dated online for awhile before we met face to face, and our romance certainly blossomed. So I know it's possible to become involved with someone over the net, without any face to face contact. I KNOW how easy it would be for me to start an affair. But, our romance didn't bloom because of public forums. We had long email exchanges and private chats. I would never private message or privately email any man off of this site for comfort or advice, especially without Markos knowing. I am not a member of any mixed-gender forum that Markos is not on. I DO NOT chat about my interest with men other than Markos.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
Especially here, where I know that any sign of flirting would DEFINITELY be shot down as inappropriate.

flirt flirt flirt

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Originally Posted by markos
flirt flirt flirt

naughty

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
Talking to a group is different than confiding to a single member of the opposite sex. It's a lot harder to become romantically interested in a man if I'm talking to a group, rather than just that one man. Especially here, where I know that any sign of flirting would DEFINITELY be shot down as inappropriate.

...unless you slide into privately emailing each other...

I do not have male friends. Markos doesn't have female friends. I do not interact with men without Markos full knowledge. He doesn't interact with women without my full knowledge. I do not talk to men about my marriage unless Markos is involved. I certainly don't talk to men about my interests unless Markos is present and he and I are seen as a unit.

This is what makes the difference. Boundaries. A's can happen anywhere two people interact, unless there are boundaries.

D-Day 2-10-2009

T
T
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
This is what makes the difference. Boundaries. A's can happen anywhere two people interact, unless there are boundaries.
[/quote]
This is the point I've been trying to make all along. You are only fooling yourself if you think you are not interacting with members of the opposite sex. You are. That's not the cause of the affair. The problem is with boundries. And boundaries are not as simple as a shopping list of things you don't do. If you believe this, then short of imprisoning yourself with no contact to the world whatsoever you will be "vulnerable" to an affair. If you are that bad, you probably shouldn't be married in the first place!

Boundaries come from within and guide you in HOW to do what you do, as well as how to protect yourself from others who may cross your boundaries, even inadvertently. Boundaries help us to maintain professionalism at work and keep our personal lives separate. Boundaries help is to avoid situations where we may be alone with members of the opposite sex. Boundaries also help us to deal with such situations if they arise through circumstance beyond our control, for example if your boss assigns you to an important project with an opposite sex coworker. You don't need to decline, especially if this could lead to a significant promotion or advancement. You just need to know how to protect your personal space and boundaries.

See, it's not enough to simply say you don't do X, Y, Z. Especially when, technically speaking, you actually DO do all 3 but you do it with an "innocent" intent. It isn't the specific act of these things at all that define the boundary. It is your ATTITUDE and APPROACH to these acts. With the workplace example, simply keep all discussions to business - as you should be doing anyway to maintain your professionalism in your job! And if the coworker should step into your space uninvited, politely asked him or her to step back. It's not rocket science.

C
C
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Whoa! I wish I had a nickel for every story I've read on here about A's that started in online gaming and chat rooms. uhuh

And I want to know why I keep wishing for nickels and never get any...

I know that Internet Affairs are rampant and how they start, but I did not think that ths was that sort of place. Do people on this forum "hook up"?

C
C
I agree with Prisca, privacy and planning is required for an affair to blossom. I believe I said this earlier..."Sharing" in the true sense of the word is the key & that type of sharing deosn't happen here - at least not in my opinion.

Markos did start posting here without Prisca's knowledge & many of us do post here without our spouse's knowledge, but I don't think that's a bad thing because the ultimate goal is to bring our spouse's into MB and save our marriages.

Last edited by ChrisInNOVA; 04/01/10 01:05 PM.
T
T
I don't know of any MBers that "hooked up" but honestly, Chris, I would think this place would be a minefield for that. Most of us come here as newly betrayed spouses in incredible pain and grief. To say we are "vulnerable" is an understatement, and everyone who found this place before you understands your situation far better than people in real life do. Though the grand majority are here learn how to save their marriages and are flat out NOT interested in beginning their own affair, revenge affairs have been known to happen. And many of us don't save our marriages and at some point, could come to realize that fellow MBers who are also losing the battle have more in common than their real life friends. Honestly, I don't know if it does, but I can see it happening.

M
M
I know that Internet Affairs are rampant and how they start, but I did not think that ths was that sort of place. Do people on this forum "hook up"?

There is nothing so special or holy about any one of us. We're all wired to cheat. Although I must say that the possibility of it happening here is probably a little lower than the general population.

But consider this scenario: two sad and lonely people of the opposite sex come here to get help for their failing marriages. As they post, they are startled by how similar their situations are. They learn as they post that they are from the same state. They enjoy the same sports/pastimes, that their respective WS do not. One of them is a verbiose joke-teller by nature and that feeds the other one's EN for humor and conversation. The other one is very athletic, unlike joker's WS, and just loves to play golf. Joker is happy about that because HE loves to play golf, too, and his W always hated for him to play! Athletic Poster says she'd love to play with her H, but he hates golf.(Recreation EN.)Hmmm... think

Do you see where this could go? These are all things that come out about us as we post and get to 'know' each other, and grow fond of each other in that weird, anonymous internet way.

D-Day 2-10-2009

T
T
I agree with Prisca, privacy and planning is required for an affair to blossom. I believe I said this earlier..."Sharing" in the true sense of the word is the key & that type of sharing deosn't happen here - at least not in my opinion.
I bet if you asked all the former waywards on this board if they planned their affair they would deny it. Many people, myself included, are reading and posting here in relative privacy (I have my own office). Some of the "sharing" here goes right down to intimate details in the bedroom. Is is absolutely sharing in the true sense and certainly "marriage building" is a common interest between all members here. This truly is NO different than posting on a bulletin board for any hobby or topic that you may be interested in for any reason. Waywards will defend the activities they do with their OP's using the same excuses. Why are we special?
Answer: we have boundaries, they didn't!!!

Markos did start posting here without Prisca's knowledge & many of us do post here without our spouse's knowledge, but I don't think that's a bad thing because the ultimate goal is to bring our spouse's into MB and save our marriages.
I didn't state that to turn it into a "bad" thing. Many BS's are advised, in fact, to keep MB hidden from their WS until they get their plan together. It's necessary for obvious reasons. It is not bad. Nor is it bad for you to post on a Sci Fi site if that's what you are interested in. It's not WHAT you do nearly so much as HOW you do it. If you have strong boundaries, and someone on the SciFi site flirts with you, you'll decline and that will be the end of it. If they persist, you block them. You can share this with your spouse because (assuming your practicing MB principles) you use PORH. You can still enjoy the site because you have boundaries in place to protect yourself and your marriage.

T
T
Originally Posted by Tabby1
This is the point I've been trying to make all along. You are only fooling yourself if you think you are not interacting with members of the opposite sex. You are. That's not the cause of the affair. The problem is with boundries. And boundaries are not as simple as a shopping list of things you don't do. If you believe this, then short of imprisoning yourself with no contact to the world whatsoever you will be "vulnerable" to an affair. If you are that bad, you probably shouldn't be married in the first place!

Boundaries come from within and guide you in HOW to do what you do, as well as how to protect yourself from others who may cross your boundaries, even inadvertently. Boundaries help us to maintain professionalism at work and keep our personal lives separate. Boundaries help is to avoid situations where we may be alone with members of the opposite sex. Boundaries also help us to deal with such situations if they arise through circumstance beyond our control, for example if your boss assigns you to an important project with an opposite sex coworker. You don't need to decline, especially if this could lead to a significant promotion or advancement. You just need to know how to protect your personal space and boundaries.

See, it's not enough to simply say you don't do X, Y, Z. Especially when, technically speaking, you actually DO do all 3 but you do it with an "innocent" intent. It isn't the specific act of these things at all that define the boundary. It is your ATTITUDE and APPROACH to these acts. With the workplace example, simply keep all discussions to business - as you should be doing anyway to maintain your professionalism in your job! And if the coworker should step into your space uninvited, politely asked him or her to step back. It's not rocket science.

Nicely done, Tabs. I agree completely. I think I chimed in on this topic awhile ago, but it was many moons ago. Or maybe it just feels like it....

TB

C
C
Ok...So is it right or wrong to be here sharing details about our marriages like this?

I think this is a good place, and I don't see people here torlling for treats. I just don't understand why anyone would think this place equates to meeting a person of the opposite sex one on one and sharing, becoming attracted... emotionally disconnecting from our spouses to get closer to someone here...exactly what is needed for an affair.

That list Pep posted - the 15 ways affairs get started doesn't apply here IMO.

C
C
I bet if you asked all the former waywards on this board if they planned their affair they would deny it.

But they did plan the meetups and booty calls...which is what I was referring to when I used the word "planning". I know that from the perspective of most participants in an affair, they view it as "unplanned" or say "it just happened."

Reading your subsequent comments about boundaries makes me glad because I really do think we are saying the same things - just with different words.

We wil interact with people of the opposite sex and we will be interested in some fo the same things they are interested in. That is an entryway - a doggy door...a tiny way in. It's up to the marrieds to guard their homes smile

M
M
Focus on the Family has had shows the last two days on protecting your marriage.

Protecting Your Marriage part 1
Protecting Your Marriage part 2
Both shows featured Jerry Jenkins.

Mark

S
S

This is exactly the type of thinking that will get you into trouble.

There is a video on the homepage in which DrH talks about infidelity that I wish everyone would watch. He basically says that As are lurking around every corner and that the people who think they are not vulnerable are the ones who are at most risk...because they are the ones not protecting themselves and the M.

It doesn't matter where or who or what. You should always be on guard with letting another person meet your ENs and conversely not to meet another's...because that is exactly how As start.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
Ok...So is it right or wrong to be here sharing details about our marriages like this?

I think this is a good place, and I don't see people here torlling for treats. I just don't understand why anyone would think this place equates to meeting a person of the opposite sex one on one and sharing, becoming attracted... emotionally disconnecting from our spouses to get closer to someone here...exactly what is needed for an affair.

That list Pep posted - the 15 ways affairs get started doesn't apply here IMO.

This site is dedicated to building good marriages. That's the premise. We all came here, wanting to know more about building good marriages. I don't think anyone comes here intending to get together with someone and becoming attracted (but be careful - how many of us have heard "I didn't mean for it to happen, it just DID.") Marriage Builders is a tool. Like any tool, it can be misused. Again, it's not the vehicle - it's the person. Boundaries are what makes the difference.

I think Pep's 15 applies wherever two or more gather.

D-Day 2-10-2009

F
F
Originally Posted by Tabby1
I don't know of any MBers that "hooked up" but honestly, Chris, I would think this place would be a minefield for that. Most of us come here as newly betrayed spouses in incredible pain and grief. To say we are "vulnerable" is an understatement, and everyone who found this place before you understands your situation far better than people in real life do. Though the grand majority are here learn how to save their marriages and are flat out NOT interested in beginning their own affair, revenge affairs have been known to happen. And many of us don't save our marriages and at some point, could come to realize that fellow MBers who are also losing the battle have more in common than their real life friends. Honestly, I don't know if it does, but I can see it happening.
I believe it is for exactly the reason that the potential for this kind of thing could happen here is why the ability to send PMs to other posters has been turned off.

Private messages between posters either have to go through the moderators or people have to post their email addresses publicly.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation