Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
Expose this to the FBI. Go right to the top.

B
B
I do not have a WW i have a faithful wife and we are now coming up to a year of marriage. I don't care what anyone thinks, the person who started this thread asken a question from people who may have some experience of this. I have.
I am not condoning affairs at all, they are hateful, hurtful and destructive things. I had one and have had a ONS done to me. Totally dreadful.
Some will last and some will not... that's the truth. Percentages are the wrong way of looking at this as they cannot be accurate.
If, everyone in the end has found happiness then life is too short to not hope for that.That is not condoning this behaviour, but in some cases a marriage cannot be saved and in this case, with a child on the way, it is looking very difficult, even if the WW wants to come back. Can this person take her back with another persons child in her hands. That, surely is a good reason to move on and try to find an alternative way of living.
I wish you all luck.

W
W
My H took me back, and is raising the OC as his own. It does happen. His WW would have to want to come back, of course, and ID has no control over that. Nor can he control the success or failure of his STBxWW's affairage.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
C
C
Originally Posted by karmasrose
You cannot be nice enough to WSs; they will want more and more

Oh boy Karma, you got that right.

BS - me 56
XWH - 57

12/25/06 - Dday - WH promised NC. Plan A in effect. Thought we were in recovery.

6-3-07 - Dday#2 Found out NC never took place and A never ended. Found MB NC promised again, but WH would not write NC letter.

9/07 - Dday #3. Still lying and sneaking around. Plan B implemented
WH wants nothing to do with me

Divorced as of 12/09 after 36 years
D
D
A few thoughts.

1. I'm a former Mormon. I live in Utah, with my LDS wife and kids. I'm a nonbeliever, yet I don't smoke, drink, womanize, or as far as I can tell do anything else which would disqualify me from LDS membership other than disbelieve the whole church thing (well, and have a cup of coffee perhaps once or twice a month). From my non-religious perspective, MarriageBuilders is about taking care of one another, finding time for each other, protecting one another from our worst instincts, and being totally honest with each other. That recipe works regardless of your religion -- or lack thereof -- and hoping that someone feels a supernatural [censored] of conscience isn't part of that plan. Don't pin your hopes on others... work on yourself.

2. Is it just me, or do affairs from Utah -- with far less than 1% of the US population, not to mention the international board members -- seem really over-represented on this board?

3. I was raised in my latter teenage years under an affairage, and can testify to the extreme destructiveness of living through that. The way I see it, if you have an affair-marriage that lasts longer than 5 years, you aren't a "lucky 3-percenter"... you're just part of the 5% that managed to do such a horrific mind-job on a desperate spouse that you kept your affair alive until you could marry. Then if you're part of the 1 in 3 affairages that survive more than 5 years, it's only because you've implemented the kind of principles in your new marriage that you should have applied to your old one... and you would have been better off having done so.

Take it for what it cost you -- nothing -- if you like, but my mother's affair left me extremely bitter and hating both her and her now-deceased affair partner-nee-husband, and my wife's (thankfully, unconsummated) affair has dredged up those old bones.

Affairs have extremely long-lasting implications. Just because the affair partners or their betrayed spouses have moved on doesn't mean the children have.

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
W
W
DNM (Barnboy): I liked the old name better, maybe because I live in a house that is shaped like a barn.

ID isn't from Utah though, and neither am I. Maybe you meant that the LDS religion seems over-represented on this forum?

By the way, I don't go to church anymore either. Haven't been in 2 1/2 years. There are a lot of reasons for that, which I've chosen not to get into on this forum. My name is still on the records, however.

I agree that it is the children that pay the ultimate price in these situations, and that is terribly unfortunate. I grew up an OC, raised by a single mother who was an OW, so I too understand the long-term implications of A's. I have a lot of bitterness as well. It was very difficult to develop a healthy identity when it was made perfectly clear to me that I was someone's "dirty little secret," so awful, in fact, that half of my "family" didn't (and still don't) know that I even exist.

I
OP Offline
I
Let's not worry too much about religion, it matters in my particular case, but it's not one of the "weightier matters". My WW has to deal with that side, I'm at peace with the Lord.

Truly, the children are going to be the victims, particularly the OC. When my kids are with their mom, they're going to have to battle with the affection mom is now giving to OC and OM. OC will grow up knowing he was conceived in an act of adultery. And yes, there will be the constant drama from my WW.

So...what's the best thing? Short of NC and marital resolution (which just ain't gonna happen) the very best thing is doing my best to keep the peace. It means being a doormat at times. It means that I won't always get my way. But in the end, it will hopefully mean that my kids will come out of this with fewer wounds than they otherwise might receive. Because contention will screw up my kids worse than anything else - that's a proven fact.

So yeah, it sucks. But that's life sometimes - making the best out of the situation you are forced into.

BH - age 33
WW - age 33, pregnant w/OC, due Jun. 2010
M - 12 yrs
DS x3 (12, 6, 2)
DD x1 (8)
D-day 9-9-09
Plan D - Divorce Papers served 11-12-09
WW moved in w/OM 1-30-10 (DS12 Bday)
S
S
According to Dr. Frank Pittman, the "mortality rate" of affair-marriages (AM) is as follows:

5 years -- 75%
10 years - 90%
"Lifetime"- 95%

I do not know the particulars of your WW's situation or of the other AMs you cited, but know that even these generally daunting odds are OPTIMISTIC in most specific cases. Here's why...

These stats take into account ALL AMs -- even those that are 'done right' (in a twisted sense obviously) from the get-go. He cites a number of criteria that seem to be associated with a much higher liklihood of AM "survival". This is not an exhaustive list but covers the biggies that I recall (and please understand that I'm not condoning this but merely illustrating the factors involved):

1) The AM-partners (AMP) take lots of TIME between divorce(s) and re-marriage. They do not rush in "as soon as the ink is dry" or even within a few months, but wait AT LEAST a full year before re-tying the knot. They usually maintain separate residences while 'dating'.

2) The AMP are either both childless or both have adult/grown children. Blended families, and particularly single-sided ones, are highly problematic even in 'normal' marriages much less AMs.

3) The previous marriage(s) being left were TRULY AWFUL unions. Not just the typical 'drifted apart' or 'needed improvement', but horrifically dysfunctional from the start.

4) The AMP truly gave their full and sincere effort to rescuing their marriage(s) prior to the affair and left it rationally rather than purely emotionally. IOW, the relationship between the AMPs was NOT a just flight-of-fantasy romantic "I-just-fell-in-love-with-someone-else" escape.

5) The AMP were very upfront and honest about their relationship from early on to their spouse(s) and didn't scapegoat/blameshift/badmouth their stbx(s) too badly.

6) The AMP made great efforts to genuinely & successfully win the voluntary support of their family and friends. No deceit or coapting was involved.

7) The AMP are generally well-matched individuals: similar ages, tastes, interests, plans, goals, beliefs, persoanlities, etc.

8) The AMP MUTUALLY decided to marry later as a logical, eyes-wide-open choice between them. They didn't enter the AM from a childish ga-ga, 'soulmate', BFF, emotionally-addicted infatuation state nor did they do so out of need , insecurity, or dependency.

9) There was minimal "disparity of sacrifice" between the AMP. IOW, they both came from fairly similar places in their respective life-situations. One partner did not 'give up much more' in terms of career, education, family/friends, desire-for-children, finances, hobbies/recreational-pursuits, religious practice, or ethical-compromise than the other in order to stay together.

10) The AM is the 2nd marriage at most for both partners.

Yes, there are some AMs that meet (at least most) of these criteria and those are the ones with the highest liklihood of staying together for decades. If you take even a casual perusal around MB and perhaps around your WW's possible-AM, you will see massive violations of the above. Examples:

1) Vast age differences
2) AMP with virtually NOTHING complementary/compatible between themselves besides sexual organs.
3) Shotgun, rapid-fire AMs hot on the heels of divorce(s)
4) Blended families...often very-poorly blended ones
5) Ex-spouses and ex-marriages that were highly scapegoated and highly-salvageable repectively. Usually little genuine effort was made by the AMP(s) before running off.
6) Enormous emotionally-laden puppy-love/soulmate fantasy in one or both of the AMP.
7) Very little honesty, introspection, and reflection about the previous relationship before AM'ing
8) Broken and strained family/friendship relationships
9) Substantial "disparity of sacrifice" between the AMPs in order to maiatain the relationship. One often sells out virtually everything once important to them while the other doesn't have to or didn't care that much anyway.
10) The AM is the 3rd or greater marriage for one of the partners.

When you see an abundance of these latter factors, I doubt that the 'mortality rate' is much less than 90% at 5 years and 100% over a lifetime.

xWW:
Secret LTA w/ thrice married OM at her workplace; EA/PA starts ~ 2005-6
Files & completes D - 2007, OM/OMW#3 D - 2007, Affairage - immediately thereafter
Disappears in 2006 w/o even a goodbye to anyone, Never a paragraph of real truth ever spoken
Me/xBH:
M "for life", Suspicions (denied) & desperate Plan A latter-half '06
1st D-day 1/07, full truth D-day 7/08 (all via 3rd parties)
NC w/ xWW 8/08-date, better off w/o unrepentant vileness, betrayal, & rampant deceit in my life anymore
I
OP Offline
I
Well, my WW was 2 for 10 on that list but who knows, they may tough it out. I'm almost beyond caring. WW moves out on Saturday and that will be that.

BTW, SDCW_man, I want to thank you for a post you wrote a while back:

Listen--there are waywards, and there are waywards-with-predisposing-problems. I know none of us are perfect and we ALL have made mistakes & done things we regret in our lives. But... some people carry so much pre-existing baggage that, when they become wayward, they really GO OFF THE DEEP END. Irretrievably and irreversibly (at least for the practical purposes of a desirable relationship recovery). I have come to learn and accept this, both about waywards in general and about my own (now) xWW. Here are some things IMHO that are historical major "red flags" in some waywards (WWs in particular) that make REAL recovery all the more difficult:

Dysfunctional childhood/upbringing
Dysfunctional family/parental relationships persisting into adulthood
Drug abuse
Excessive alcohol use/abuse
Past incest/sexual abuse
Excessive attention-seeking/drama-creation
Pre-marital sexual promiscuity or precociousness
History of 'overlapping relationships'
More than 1 affair (current A is not the 1st)
Insecurity, immaturity, low self-esteem, co-dependency
Excessive flirtatiousness/need for romantic validation
Poor communication skills/"expectation of clairvoyance" from others
"Facade maneuvers"--bravado, braggardness, name-dropping, unjustified bombasity
"Splitting" of people into good and bad camps w/o proper nuance and fairness
Repeat marriages, especially in short order (was their ex REALLY at fault as they say?)
Lack of introspection/inability to admit fault or error, even for trivial things
Casual, frequent "white-lies" (because telling the truth might actually require self-confidence)

I would ask any BS to take a long, hard look at this list and if you clearly recognize say 3 or more of these characteristics (and you WILL KNOW, believe me), strongly consider whether you even want to TRY to save this marriage...because these WSs are likely very damaged people with a tremendous amount of personal work to do BEFORE they can ever be real partners even AFTER the affair ends.

That really opened my eyes to the type of woman I was dealing with and forced me to ask some tough questions, questions I should have been asking myself a long time ago. My WW had at least 6 items on that list, if not more.

Anyways, thanks for the insight!

BH - age 33
M - 12 yrs
DS x3 (12, 6, 2)
DD x1 (8)
D-day 9-9-09
D
D
You're good people, ID. I wish you all happiness.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
Z
Z
Originally Posted by indarkness
Well, my WW was 2 for 10 on that list but who knows, they may tough it out. I'm almost beyond caring. WW moves out on Saturday and that will be that.

Listen--there are waywards, and there are waywards-with-predisposing-problems. I know none of us are perfect and we ALL have made mistakes & done things we regret in our lives. But... some people carry so much pre-existing baggage that, when they become wayward, they really GO OFF THE DEEP END. Irretrievably and irreversibly (at least for the practical purposes of a desirable relationship recovery). I have come to learn and accept this, both about waywards in general and about my own (now) xWW. Here are some things IMHO that are historical major "red flags" in some waywards (WWs in particular) that make REAL recovery all the more difficult:

Drug abuse
Past incest/sexual abuse
Repeat marriages, especially in short order (was their ex REALLY at fault as they say?)
Lack of introspection/inability to admit fault or error, even for trivial things
Casual, frequent "white-lies" (because telling the truth might actually require self-confidence)

I would ask any BS to take a long, hard look at this list and if you clearly recognize say 3 or more of these characteristics (and you WILL KNOW, believe me), strongly consider whether you even want to TRY to save this marriage...because these WSs are likely very damaged people with a tremendous amount of personal work to do BEFORE they can ever be real partners even AFTER the affair ends.

That really opened my eyes to the type of woman I was dealing with and forced me to ask some tough questions, questions I should have been asking myself a long time ago. My WW had at least 6 items on that list, if not more.

Me, too. I knew nothing about BPD, NPD or ASPD before my therapist and my lawyer told me to look into these areas to explain what I had been through.
The list above is , essentially, a mirror of the DSM criteria for personality disorders. If you are dealing with someone like this, run.
You also need to start looking within to figure out why you were willing to accept this treatment.

W
W
I hope things start to settle down for you after Saturday, ID. Where is she moving to?

I
OP Offline
I
She's staying in the area - it's really the only way to make joint custody work (we've agreed on a week-on/week-off plan). In fact, I put a clause in the divorce agreement that neither party can move out of the immediate area without a court order. I'm certainly not going anywhere, all my family, friends, etc. are here. But I suspect that WW and OM will try to move out of state within a few years. My WW's shortsightedness is going to force her to either stay put for the next 16 years or hand over full custody to me.

I think things will settle down. While I absolutely love my children, a week off will help me maintain a good home and keep things peaceful, as opposed to what I suspect will be a very stressful WW residence.

BH - age 33
M - 12 yrs
DS x3 (12, 6, 2)
DD x1 (8)
D-day 9-9-09
W
W
She's staying in the area - it's really the only way to make joint custody work (we've agreed on a week-on/week-off plan). In fact, I put a clause in the divorce agreement that neither party can move out of the immediate area without a court order. I'm certainly not going anywhere, all my family, friends, etc. are here. But I suspect that WW and OM will try to move out of state within a few years. My WW's shortsightedness is going to force her to either stay put for the next 16 years or hand over full custody to me.

I think things will settle down. While I absolutely love my children, a week off will help me maintain a good home and keep things peaceful, as opposed to what I suspect will be a very stressful WW residence.

Good job getting all your ducks in a row. hurray

It was especially a smart move on your part getting your wife to agree to not move out of the area.

A
A

Drug abuse
Past incest/sexual abuse

My WW has 7 of those traits. I guess I am in trouble huh?

Me BH 40
Her XWW 34
Married 12 years

Feb 09 - PA #1 (w/married alcoholic)
Apr 09 - Started recovery, thought things were going well until...
Jan 10 - PA #2 (w/different guy on Facebook)
Dec 10 - Divorced
Now - very happy; no regrets
I
OP Offline
I
WW moved out on Saturday - DS12 b-day. The depths that WW will sink to seem endless. When she first talked of moving out, WW emphatically said that OM would NOT be living with her until they were married (why, because it's immoral...stupid, stupid). Oh well, that lasted all of 0 days. Of course OM is living with her. They are now a nice happy family in their ghetto house in a crappy area. P*&s on 'em.

On the upside, the more WW moves her crap out the better I feel. I can't believe how much junk she had! It's amazing the piles of stuff we collected over the years. This purging is very therapeutic. Couple that with snowboarding in Mammoth the next few days and I'm a happy camper.

BH - age 33
M - 12 yrs
DS x3 (12, 6, 2)
DD x1 (8)
D-day 9-9-09
W
W
InD: I doubt your WW and the OM are ever going to be anything close to a nice happy family. Under the circumstances, "nice" is already out.

On a more positive note, snowboarding sounds fun. My oldest son is working at a ski resort in Crested Butte, Colorado this winter. He gets unlimited free lift tickets and is having a blast learning how to snowboard. Have fun in Mammoth!

I
I
So what does her church think of her co-habitation plan?

Me:BW, FWH 1DD 1DS
W
W
I'm pretty sure InD said his WW was excommunicated. I seriously doubt she has maintained any ties with the church.

By the InD, how are your kids holding up through all of this?

I
OP Offline
I
yes, WW was excommunicated. She has not been to her new ward yet (she spent Sunday shopping). Church certainly would not approve of cohabitation but that's her problem to deal with. I don't think she will be going back to church for a while. She says she will, but people in her new ward+stake already know. Ahh...gossip travels quickly.

The kids are doing well, but I don't think they fully grasp the situation. The *know* what's going on from a factual standpoint but I don't think they can see the future implications of everything. So, they are generally happy. But I'm interested to see how they adjust to the back and forth between two homes.

BH - age 33
M - 12 yrs
DS x3 (12, 6, 2)
DD x1 (8)
D-day 9-9-09
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (whwh747474), 473 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation