Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
B
Originally Posted by Skald
And I want to be Grumpy today.

You should ask Pep to borrow her cape and tights...she isn't wearing them today. stickout

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
Z
Z
Yeah, I don't think the newly betrayed are as easily influenced as Skald seems to think they are. It is critical to look at pre_A behavior, and I do think that BSs can do this.
From what I have read, this infidelity business is widespread among the disordered. So, it makes sense tome to ask folks to look into it as a possible explanation.

Skald's objjection sort of reminds me of a recent remark from MEl. I had remarked on how I'd read that most affairs remain undiscovered. I relayed this information in a post and one recently minted WS read it.
Mel seemed to think that by simply disclosing this study about lack of discovery, I was ,in some way advocateing this young woman continue her subterfuge.
The PD stuff is good info for a BS to consider, IMO.

B
B
I feel sad that people think they have to stay married to users, the mentally emotionally disordered, extremely cold and selfish, and abusive spouses.

Maybe the main trouble is that the people who marry these idiots do not CHOOSE CAREFULLY who they become close to. They are emotionally blind to the partner's flaws, maybe too trusting, or too in love to see the whole picture. If they are in luck they do not start a family with these people....and bring children into the disorder.

A disordered spouse disrupts a household and damages everyone else that the disordered is around. There is no healing there or working with the situation. The disordered WARPS everyone around them. Causing permanent damage. I have seen it with my own sisters marriage, her 54 year old husband is now so beaten down he cannot look anyone in the face. In addition, he takes her abuse even in public or when people are visiting.

Some spouses are too disordered to ever be married in any kind of healthy happy way. But because of thier looks or something, people keep marrying them and suffering.

But, like Wonderin, people can WAKE UP TO THE TRUTH of thier disordered spouse. In time to end the damage and have a good life for themselves.

Last edited by Bubbles4U; 02/08/10 03:22 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by black_raven

You should ask Pep to borrow her cape and tights...she isn't wearing them today. stickout

Is she running around nekked?? mr eek

M
M
It was just "part of her journey" she casually tossed off

That is a triggering statement for me for sure!

When my husband and I separated a few months after the polygraph, due to my being angry over the lack of empathy, and bleeding to death from the thousand cuts, he spent the next 10 months in "individual" counseling, LICKING HIS WOUNDS, and told me "that he was on an exciting journey". Finding himself no doubt. MrRollieEyes

Last edited by mopey; 02/08/10 03:35 PM.

Husband was unfaithful to me before and after our marriage, at least 7 times. I found out 13 yrs into the marriage. Trickle truth for an entire year. Several different d-days, so it was more like a d-year. Difficult recovery.

M
M
Is she running around nekked??

Yep. shocked

Husband was unfaithful to me before and after our marriage, at least 7 times. I found out 13 yrs into the marriage. Trickle truth for an entire year. Several different d-days, so it was more like a d-year. Difficult recovery.

M
M
From what I have read, this infidelity business is widespread among the disordered. So, it makes sense tome to ask folks to look into it as a possible explanation.

I tend to agree if they have the same complaints that I have, or you have had, and even the ones that Wonderin has had.

The PD stuff is good info for a BS to consider, IMO.

Agreed.

Just because PD stuff is mentioned, or even diagnosed, in no way shape, form, or fashion excuse bad behavior. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say that it does. Just because you may understand where the immaturity comes from, doesn't mean you have to accept it.

B
B
Originally Posted by drgnfly

Is she running around nekked?? mr eek

I think she is seated. If she is running too.... whistle

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
D
D

She better be careful standing up - that really hurts when your legs get stuck to the chair. shocked

B
B

She better be careful standing up - that really hurts when your legs get stuck to the chair. shocked

whistle

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Z
Z

Good hygiene may help this problem.

W
W
Originally Posted by Zelmo

Good hygiene may help this problem.
puke puke puke

That was not a visual I needed so soon after lunch.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
P
P
All'ya'alls now on ignore stickout

Z
Z
Originally Posted by Pepperband
All'ya'alls now on ignore stickout

To continue on Larry's list: And you can be a man and suck down a fair amount of brew, and do bongshots.

M
M
Wonderin

You said this a few weeks ago:

Originally Posted by wonderin3
As for my H...he too continues his healing journey, though at a much slower pace. It has been really painful for him to dive into the reasons he made the choice, his thinking errors, his wrong attitudest, etc. Its like looking your worst mistake in the eye over and over, which I do believe is no fun at all, but you can't heal what you won't feel. He has done exceptionally well in the area of behavioral healing. He has never broken NC, he is meeting my EN (though I don't let them count for much just yet), he put in EPs that satisfy me, and his pre A behaviors (criticisms/put downs/DJs/IBs/etc) are not an issue (thank God! I don't think I'd be with him if they were still a problem).

I have worked really hard to disassociate and break my codependent tendencies, so my goal is not to focus on his path except to determine if my bottom lines are being met. I finally accept that I cannot do a darn thing about his choices/thinking/feeling/etc. My only choice is weather or not to put up with them . My mantra is: I didn't cause his affair, I can't fix his thinking errors/wrong attitudes, and I can't control his behaviors/thinking. With this, I really release him to God - but Oh do I pray for him!!

I'm just believe that God will provide for me whether or not my H is in the picture and whether or not we make it 2 more years or a lifetime. It has helped me find peace with the ups and downs of R.

Currently, my feelings are flat for my H. That scares me, because after 2 years of working, I wonder if I'll ever feel for him again. According to my C, this is often a crisis point for many at 2-3 years for exactly that reason. This makes many vulnerable to having their own A. I've still got a wall up and won't let my H's efforts touch me much. I have to see him work a bit more on the deeper levels of healing and keep at it for the long haul before I'm willing to be vulnerable to him. Not sure if that is good or bad. It is what it is.

Anyway, I have a lot of hope. I'm setting the bar high, because in the end, I want to say that I feel "chosen" again, and the only way I believe I'll fell that is if he works HARD to keep me . Best,

Wonderin

So my question is...

Are you looking for validation or support for your recovery?

In this thread alone, you have taken yourself down a dark path of trying to figure out blame, guilt and fault.

Others came along to commiserate and you seemed to acknowledge them. I remind you...the root word of "commiserate" is "misery".

You said things like "you needed your husband to acknowledge this and that that he did in the past as hurtful"...

NO YOU DON'T.

It would be nice if he did...but you don't NEED IT. Furthermore, it is MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN if and when HE falls romantically in love with you again....which won't likely happen until you also fall in romantic love with him.

This is all a twisted mind game of security versus insecurity. Being confident in who you are and loving yourself to the extent that it's possible for others (your FWH) to love you. You shouldn't need his "acknowledgement" because YOU KNOW what he did and said was mean, cruel and abusive and in no way really said ANYTHING about YOU. Such meanness, cruelity, abusiveness and betrayal is and was always about HIM. He WILL love you again because you are lovable. You are lovable because YOU ARE an attractive, confident, loving, warm, tender, etc. woman. If you aren't at this position yet...you work on building yourself up TO that position of confidence (your side of recovery).

Think back to when you dated and he fell in love with you the first time. Did you scrutinize his behavior and actions or did you behave confidently and self-assured?

The two year after d-day mark is a milestone AND a fork in the road. The TRAUMA is over. Some new habits have formed and you haven't thrown him out (and he hasn't left). Now is the time some/many BS's feel it's put up or shove off time whereas WS's get complacent and HOPE "dealing" with "it" is mostly over. What the WS needs to understand is that the trauma you endured AND overcame MUST BECOME WORTH IT.

However, for now...I'm unsure what you want. Validation or support. I see you stepping backward to near d-day comments and posts about your husband's behavior long ago. You've even acknowledged them when just a few weeks ago you were saying something completely different about your FWH's behavior. IMO, this is exactly where the inappropriate dwelling on fault and blame will take you....backwards. This could help you if you are still punishing your FWH or simply maintaining walls to keep him out emotionally.

So I guess I need to know which direction are you headed?

Mr. Wondering

p.s.- You took 7 months off from here and your first post back was what I posted above... It was more "positive" than anything you've written since. Perhaps some of these posters above are the ones that attract you and take you backwards. If recovery is what you want...seek out those that have recovered and forget about all this validation seeking. The ONLY relevance your husband's affair from two years ago has today is that YOU WILL NO LONGER TOLERATE A LOVELESS MARRIAGE because of it. It has to be great...doesn't it?

p.p.s. - Is he aware of these forums and willing to post?

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
W
OP Offline
W
Maybe she's looking for acceptance and justification for her excuses. Either way, most people will find exactly the information/help/(justification) they are Looking for.

How bout asking rather than speculating?

Me: 32
FWH: 32
DDay & NC: 12/10/07
DD: 4
DS: 1
Rcovering by God's Grace
W
OP Offline
W
And guess what? Even if her spouse does have BPD - she was STILL RESPONSIBLE for a portion of the declining marriage (sure, maybe not 50%.. but maybe it was 50% too... maybe it was 75%... the amount of responsibility is irrelevant and subjective... fixing what she takes responsibility for is what matters) and fixing those issues will help HER whether it helps to fix the M or not.

Yes, and I've already outlined what my H and I have determined to be my contribution to the sate of the pre-A marriage. I'm not here looking for a way to avoid responsibility. I know full well that I am not innocent. I'll never be perfect, and I'll be working on becomming a better person for the rest of my life, because this side of glory, it ain't gonna happen.

You don't seem to understand my point. I only wanted to know if other people felt that SAA gives WSs an out, because IMO, it allows my H to shift responsibility to me. It allows him to continue to say that my failure to morph into an altogether new woman who had a body type that I have never had was the reason he was vulnerable to an A. I take issue with that. I take issue with the fact that on our wedding day, he said I met all of his AS needs and 2 years later, with no changes at all, I didn't.

Now I've already listed the poor choices I made in response to this request. I was not innocent there. I LBed to the hilt. But if he can look back on our situation and honestly say that any part of the way he treated me was ok, that my physical shortcommings left him vulnerable to the A, then he is not a man I want to be married to. It may seem rediculous to you, but going forward with a man who could do as much damage as he did and say that it was justified, is not ok with me. That's all. I simply take issue with the idea of each partner sharing 50%, as I don't believe that is always the case.

In addition, I do have a brain. You seem to think that because someone has posted something to me, I will treat that as license to continue in bad behavior. I think it is helpful to hear the insight other people have obtained while on their own journey. I have the capacity to read about THEIR experience and determine whether or not it fits for me. I also have a wonderful support group and a counselor who tell me the truth about my perceptions and set me straight if I'm chasing rabits. I'm not stupid. I don't feel that anyone here has said: this is the case for you. Believe it. Don't look into it. Do this. People are simply offering information that has helped them, so that I might find a new bit of truth. I appreciate that. It is helpful to me.

And guess what? Even if her spouse does have BPD - she was STILL RESPONSIBLE for a portion of the declining marriage (sure, maybe not 50%.. but maybe it was 50% too... maybe it was 75%... the amount of responsibility is irrelevant and subjective... fixing what she takes responsibility for is what matters) and fixing those issues will help HER whether it helps to fix the M or not.

You don't know a lot about my sit, and I don't appreciate the fact that you seem to imply that I am not looking to improve our M. Heck, I'm still trying to save it, even though my feelings are flat. I have done a lot to improve myself whether our M makes it or not, and I'm not about to quit now. Coming here looking for someone who might have a similar circumstance, who might know something I don't, who might be able to point me in a new direction does not mean that I am not willing to work on myself.

Rcovering by God's Grace
W
OP Offline
W
[quote]"Do I really want to recover this marriage and return to a life that will likely result in my health problems (a reported side-effect of being in a relationship with a disordered person), uncertainty, distrust and emotional abuse?"
quote]

I completely relate to your post. This is the question I'm weighing in my mind. If he still thinks like the thought before the A...even if he meets ENs and avoids LBs as best he can...will it be a marriage I want to be a part of? I'm not sure it is.

Rcovering by God's Grace
Z
Z
Validation or support? How about both. After all this is the "Surviving an Affair" section. One might survive best by getting out. Once there is cheating, that is a valid option, IMO.

W
OP Offline
W
Mr. Wondering, Thanks for your post. I appreciate your observations, and you have indeed made me think. I usually take a while to process and really come to any solid conclusion, and I just read your post, but I will write based on my first instincts.

You said things like "you needed your husband to acknowledge this and that that he did in the past as hurtful"...

NO YOU DON'T.

It would be nice if he did...but you don't NEED IT. Furthermore, it is MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN if and when HE falls romantically in love with you again....which won't likely happen until you also fall in romantic love with him.

OK, you are right, I do not literally need him to acknowledge those things. It is in my desire to continue sharing my life with a man who thinks like he thinks that things get hairy. I know so much more now than I did pre A. And I look back on my sit with total disgust. And I don't just mean him, I mean ME! Why was I such a doormat? I do not want to be that woman anymore. And if I stay with him even though he continues in the same line of thought, I feel like I'm still the doormat that I was for years. I have waited 2 years for him to "get" some things. And I'm beginning to feel quite hopeless that he ever will. So, it leaves me wondering if I am OK staying in a marriage where my H may very well continue in the same attitudes and thought patterns evident through our married life thus far.

You shouldn't need his "acknowledgement" because YOU KNOW what he did and said was mean, cruel and abusive and in no way really said ANYTHING about YOU. Such meanness, cruelity, abusiveness and betrayal is and was always about HIM. He WILL love you again because you are lovable. You are lovable because YOU ARE an attractive, confident, loving, warm, tender, etc. woman. If you aren't at this position yet...you work on building yourself up TO that position of confidence (your side of recovery).

I agree with this. But again, if he never looks into what all of that said about *him* do I want to stay? BTW, my H does claim to be "in love" with me. He says that it is so ironic that he was "miserable" in our marriage and now that he isn't, I am. You have referenced my prior post, and I stand by it. He has done a great job of working on meeting ENs, avoiding LBs, and coming to mutually enthusiastic decisions...and I am still unhappy. I'm just not into him. At. All.

Think back to when you dated and he fell in love with you the first time. Did you scrutinize his behavior and actions or did you behave confidently and self-assured?

This was before the emotional beating, but yes I did. And though I've struggled with self esteem since this began, I really feel more confident today than I was even when we were dating. I like myself so much more. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I look back and think my H was just plain crazy, because I was and am a catch. He just couldn't/wouldn't see any of the good in me. And I believe that is because he wanted me to live up to fantasy.

The two year after d-day mark is a milestone AND a fork in the road. The TRAUMA is over. Some new habits have formed and you haven't thrown him out (and he hasn't left). Now is the time some/many BS's feel it's put up or shove off time whereas WS's get complacent and HOPE "dealing" with "it" is mostly over. What the WS needs to understand is that the trauma you endured AND overcame MUST BECOME WORTH IT.

BINGO. That really says it all. I believe that a BS must work through the trauma and do the hard work of personal recover whether or not they stay in the marriage. So I don't regret a minute of the work I've done. However what will make it "worth it" may not be staying, in my case. I guess I feel like he hasn't changed much at the core level. His behaviors have, but not the deep cellular him. And I don't know if I like that man anymore. I'm not sure staying with him IS worth it.

However, for now...I'm unsure what you want. Validation or support.

Well, I started this post because I was honestly curious about what other SAA believers thought about the concept of pre-A issues leading to vulnerability, which led to the A. Did anyone else consider this to be on "out" for a WS. That was all. And after reading some replies, I got off discussing my personal situation and why I believe that it does...at least in some cases. Then, some posters got me thinking about some new ideas, and it kinda evolved from there. When I talk with others who've traveled this road, I love to hear their stories, what they've learned, how they've grown. I can often glean a bit of knowledge from thier wisdom that applies to my own life. I like to know if they think I am headed the wrong directions (and so I appreciate your pointing out my backsliding), and I like to know that I'm not alone. That someone else understands or has been there.

IMO, this is exactly where the inappropriate dwelling on fault and blame will take you....backwards. This could help you if you are still punishing your FWH or simply maintaining walls to keep him out emotionally.

Again, thanks for pointing this out. I don't want to go backwards. And I think you have pinpointed 2 of my "stuck" places. I am in bondage to obsessive thinking, which IS unhealthy dwelling. I keep quoting Romans 8:6 - the mind controlled by the Spirit is peace and life. For a reason I haven't determined, I am stuck dwelling on all that went wrong in our M. And you hit #2 on the head - I like the excuse to keep my emotional walls as high as I possibly can. I do not really want to let him back in. I know this, but I don't yet know what to do about it...or if it just means that we aren't gonna be married at the end of it all. It is at the top of my list of things to discuss with my counselor.

So I guess I need to know which direction are you headed?

I want to move forward, Mr. W. I'm just not sure that it will be with my H.

Rcovering by God's Grace
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 700 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation