Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
F
BaT, I am incredibly envious of you. You have chosen to recover your marriage! There are many of us who wish we could be in your shoes.

There is a way to do this, and it exists on this site, in the books Dr. Harley has written, and in the counseling and weekends the Harleys conduct.

YOU made the decision to stray outside the marriage. It's now up to YOU to do what you can to repair the damage.

I understand your wife's anger perfectly. In my case, I would still be wondering if my WW's actions were a deal-killer. I would put it entirely on her shoulders to show me that she was in earnest about recovering the marriage, and not just going along for the ride until something better came along.

You say you started MB before. Are you familiar with the concepts? About the Four Rules? Have you read What to Do with an Unfaithful Husband? As others have already stated, she will know by your ACTIONS how serious you are.

And you won't convince her over night.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
P
P
Originally Posted by By_a_thread
I am just trying to understand, and find out what I can do to help the R process now...

Are you taking anti-depressants?
You might consider taking them, after discussing with your physician.
You sound pretty frazzled.

My darling H and I have more than a decade of M recovery behind us.
When my H was trying to get me to "understand" that he wanted "me" and wanted our marriage, he said this:
"I have new eyes." .... Sounds nice, right? It made me want to scream banghead and choke the life out of him, while saying; "Now, thanks to you and OW, I have new eyes as well ! And with these new eyes, you look like crap!"

I advocate for your marriage.
The forum is, collectively, in favor of your marriage.
Nothing would please the forum more than your marriage becoming a shining success.

Your wife is questioning her decision to stay with you.
Everything she thought was true, is false.
Everything she thought she knew, is now questionable.

Your adultery is not just about the sex you had.
It undermines your wife's entire world.
She doubts gravity.
She questions oxygen.
She doubts herself.
She has to reconstruct reality.

Have empathy for that.
And, MAN UP !

P
P
By A Thread ....

WELCOME TO Marriage Builders !!!
hug

Where's TST when you need him ???
TST is a recovered man who took the MAN UP to great heights.
Since I am a woman, and an older one at that stickout ... I think TST or GloveOil or LousyGolfer can really give you MAN UP advice!

Last edited by Pepperband; 02/10/10 11:56 AM.
B
OP Offline
B
Once again, I thank all of you for your responses, guidance and helpul "finger pointing".

I have read many things including: Change, empathize, have compassion, deal with it, fix it and Man-up. While all very good ideas, and constructive in nature and meaning, I am finding no tangible advise. My W's entire world has been turned upside down, and i am responsible for turning it around and showing her that I can be a good H again.

I originally posted looking for help and answers to fix what I broke....I have posted many of the things that I/we have done thus far, and what we are currently doing and working towards.

I would find it beneficial and helpful to recovering my M, and keeping my W if I were given more specific examples, and help...Simply telling someone that they need to change and pointing out the way that they are responsible for the damage is a bit generic and broad, as I am FULLY aware that there is no-one to blame for the state of my family and our lives than me...mister selfish.

So, before I give up on seeking advise, I will try and be more specific...

What other actions can I take?
What sort of things can I do?
How do I "fix" it?
What can I "show" her?

P
P
So, before I give up on seeking advise, I will try and be more specific...

What other actions can I take?
What sort of things can I do?
How do I "fix" it?
What can I "show" her?

Hold on.
The recovered former wayward men will come around soon.
Their perspective will be both personal and practical.

It's so masculine to ask :
"How can I fix it."

Gotta love that !

Hang on .... You cannot give up so easily.

There is no quick fix.
There is a process.

P
P
Put this topic on your watched topic list.
If you click on the "topic options" tab next to your first post, it's one of the choices.

Then, you will get an email as someone replies to your thread.

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you...I will check back periodically to see if I can gain some useful and practical applications to everyone's advise.

PB, i know there is no quick fix...but there must be things I have not thought of or done to this point. I am not dense, nor am I uneducated...It kills me to ask strangers for help, and if I thought there was another way, or we were not on the verge of a D, I wouldn't be here. I am not working right now, as I should be, because I cannot think of ANYTHING more important than my W and K's.

I know that a BS hates to hear a WS say that, as I can already hear the masses telling me that I should have put them first last Summer. Again, I cannot change or undue the past, only seek to change my future. It is good to know that others have made it through a PA, and I look forward to ANY practical advise.

Last edited by By_a_thread; 02/10/10 12:29 PM.
P
P
Again, I cannot change or undue the past, only seek to change my future.

The Prodigal Son is my favorite parable, because humanity is lost without the hope of forgiveness.
The parable gives me hope for all of us.

God Bless

M
M
Thanks, it does help to know that this is a normal reaction. I assumed (in my naivety) that we should be doing better at the 6 month mark.... We have been to 2 different MC's and aquired some useful tools, just haven't really been able to put them to positive use yet. I want to make her understand that I am here, and not going anywhere...I make no excuses for my actions...There are certainly reasons, but no excuses. I hope she can work through this with me and keep our family intact.

BaT, you're lucky. My FWH did get a few bruises from me. Not one of my prouder moments, but you'd have to been in a BS's boots to really understand the pain and rage. And yes, I got physical around the 6 month mark.

One thing you can't beg, borrow or steal - time. And unfortunately that's what you're going to have to have. Time for your BW to heal, time for YOU to heal, time to put back together what you tore apart. It's going to take time.

Read here and keep posting. It might be helpful for your BW to come on board here, as well.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Y
Y
Originally Posted by Pepperband
If you click on the "topic options" tab next to your first post, it's one of the choices.

pb can you confirm this??

Ive been seeking this since day one on this site and have posted as such on the technical forum. Ive have already done exactly what you've said but have NEVER recieved a single email???

Sorry for hi-jacking, just shocked to read this.....

WS - 30, BS - 29, DS's - 9,6,4,2
M - 10 years, A - Oct-Nov '08, D-Day - Nov '08

Looking into anger management, any good advice??
P
P
Originally Posted by yllanoitomE
Originally Posted by Pepperband

pb can you confirm this??

Ive been seeking this since day one on this site and have posted as such on the technical forum. Ive have already done exactly what you've said but have NEVER recieved a single email???

Sorry for hi-jacking, just shocked to read this.....

Yes.

Got to "my stuff" tab (next to forum list)
Then, go to "edit preferences".

look at the choices

Say "yes" to

"By default should anything added to your Watch List be emailed to you?"

P
P
While your at the edit preferences place ....

It is so convenient to change the

topics per page from (default) 10 to 50 or 60.

same thing with the (default) 10 posts per page shown .... I have mine set at 60.

M
M
Change....I do not talk to or communicate in any way with her or anyone who knew about the A...I moved, changed my cell# and deleted her from every email and messenger account.

What happened to the car you bought for the OW? That's probably a sore-point with your BW as well. Getting it back and selling it, then using the proceeds towards something for your BW or your family might help.

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
G
G
Simply telling someone that they need to change and pointing out the way that they are responsible for the damage is a bit generic and broad,
Is complete and total No Contact (NC) in place with OW and any and all associates of OW? No Contact means no information at all from or about OW. This means if she died tomorrow YOU would and could never know!

Have you written a No Contact letter to OW?

Has all financial support of OW ended (Like a possible Car Payment)?

Have you read Surviving an Affair?

Does your Betrayed Wife (BW) know every detail of your affair?

Have you implemented Extreme Precautions to protect yourself and your wife from your boundary problems with the opposite sex?

Have you scheduled a session with Steve Harley?

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
J
J
Here is your tangible advice.

Figure out her most important needs. You should have them if you started the MB program. Now, meet them, and meet them the way she describes would deposit the most love units.

Now concentrate on the love busters. What are the biggest love busters you commit. You said you have trouble with your temper. You are going to have to focus at this love buster for a while and do not allow things to escalate when she lets her anger out on you. While not productive on her part, it is certainly understandable after what you put her through.

Continue to prove to your BW with ACTIONS that you are going to man-up and do the work necessary to recover your actions. If you keep meeting her ENs and avoid LBs, after a certain period of time, you will get past this phase. Dr. Harley himself says most affairs take AT LEAST two years to recover from. You aren't even 6 months into the process. Have patience, and focus on the MB program. Hopefully, you do not let things escalate if your wife shows anger towards you. Eventually, you will get past this stage.

On a side note, your BW is saying those things to push your buttons and hurt you because she's hurt and part of her wants to hurt you back. Here is a trick. The next time she says those hateful words, just ignore them. She's looking to get a rise out of you. If she says them and no longer gets a rise out of you, she'll have no reason to say them anymore.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
T
T
BAT, you're asking for practical advice.

First, learn to be patient. Your wife has experienced a huge trauma that will take years for her to recover from. Do you understand that? You've done what you can to remove yourself from the scene of the crime. Now you wait for her massive injuries to heal.

What have you done to educate yourself on the emotions of a betrayed spouse? What have you learned about PTSD? Do you know why you didn't NOT have an affair (ie, what were the aspects of your character that did not choose to hold true to your marital vow, whatever the temptation?).

These are very early days. Her emotions will be volatile for months and years to come. You're lucky she hasn't lashed out physically; the intensity of emotion in this situation is indescribable. Do you understand that?

You can't get through this without going into those icky emotional places. Do you understand that, too?

TA

"Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people." - Spencer Johnson
G
G
I made a huge, seemingly unforgivable error in judgement
No, you made a huge, totally unforgivable error in judgment

See the difference?

I would simply listen to a divorced friend and leave!
Hmm!

Sounds like you need to loose a couple of unsupporting friends.

I do not know if her anger is extreme or reasonable...
I would say, since you seem to still be able to spontaneously respirate, her anger is well within reason.

I'm gonna be honnest here BAT, I want you to save your M, but you come accross with an air of dismisivness about your affair, and general superiority about yourself. Your wife is probably also sensing this, can you humble yourself low enough to show genuine remorse?

Last edited by Gack1; 02/10/10 01:14 PM.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
T
T
When she's at her most angry and unhappy, try to get into a loving place. Hold her, tell her you're sorry, tell her you love her...tell her again and again. Do it the next time, and the next, and the next. There's no simple quick formula for fixing this, many more than there's an operation to repair a broken spine and have the person jogging the next day.

TA

"Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people." - Spencer Johnson
T
T
Third, it's time to grow up.

An affair is not the action of a mature adult; it's the action of a child. An adult breaks his mother's precious ornament and knows that her anger is about the pain of losing something that had meaning; he wants to do all he can to comfort her and reduce the pain. A child breaks the object and experiences his mother's rage as punishment; he just wants her to stop being angry with him.

Read over what you've told us so far, and try to work out where you are on the adult/child scale.

TA

H
H
Hi BaT,

Welcome to MB

I came here a Broken Man in 2007 after an 8 month A that devistated my wife and my family. I was fortunate enought to have a wife that was willing to give recovery an attempt.

I didn't realize until much later that recovery would be just as excruciating for her as the A had been.

I'm so glad she gave me an opportunity to show her that I would fight for her and our family, with every ounce of strength I possessed, for as long as it would take.

Sounds like you may just have as amazing of a wife as I do.

Trust me when I say this..... Your wife's worth fighting for!

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 978 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation