Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Derrah Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by QueeniesAdventures
SH would like to talk to WH. My challenge now is to find a place/time when I can bring this up to WH. I must admit, I am nervous about it. I can't imagine WH being open to the idea.
Derrah, I have not truly read through your entire thread, but the alcoholism and some of the stuff you are going through I experienced and understand.

My question - Did SH tell you how to approach your WH about talking with him? What he told me was to work on getting yes answers, namely wouldn't it be the best possible outcome if you were to fall in love with your children's mother? My WH said yes to that. I then opened up to him about some of the stuff I was learning about how I had made mistakes in the marriage.

I wasn't strong enough or focused enough to get a solid answer, but I was wondering how SH told you and how we can help you there.

He said very similar things. To start first with a mutual goal - marriage enjoyable for both parties. Specifically, like you said, "Wouldn't it be the ideal scenario for you to be in love with the mother of your kids?" To try not to come off as the authority figure on this, but as someone who is searching for information myself and want to know what he thinks.

I guess where I am stuck is this... I cannot imagine a situation right now where WH would receive this from me. He made a comment to me in late December that "all we ever do is fight." I wanted to say in return, "Who are you talking about?" The only time I have crossed him since he said he wanted to come home, stop drinking, and get rid of OW is when he has tried to blame his lack of relationship DD15 on me. I will not take responsibility for that one!!!

I also think that low self-esteem is keeping me from believing that he would want to be with me. Compared to the OW, I am older, I have gained weight. A part of me wants to become someone who is worth wanting. I also have experienced a lot of verbal abuse from him over the years. Since he started therapy, he has been kinder. I guess I am also hesitant to test the waters of his temper.

I welcome your thoughts.

BS-me 42yrs
WH-him 50yrs
OW 31yrs and single
married 18yrs
together 21yrs
DD15
DS12
D-Day#1 6/14/2009 DD15 discovered A
WH moves out 6/14/2009
WH asks to reconcile 6/21/2009
WH asks for D 7/18/2009
WH asks to reconcile 9/14/2009
WH sees therapist 9/2009
No active recovery right now
K
K
The decision begins and ends with deciding what you want:

A project? To rehab his low self esteem, alcoholism, destructive parenting behavior and redeem his soul from the hell he's created in his life?

Or a partner? Someone who will step up and say you are worth all the effort and work it would take to win you back and win the heart and confidence of his daughter back?

He could become either man. But one thing is for certain. If you will welcome back a project, he will be a project. If you refuse the project, he will have to choose to become a partner, or get out of your life.

Get thyself to Al-Anon NOW/Yesterday. And start learning how to refuse to accept any more projects in your life and terminate all relationships with projects right now. They are not rewarding. They will suck the life out of you and out of everyone who loves you.

I hope you are hearing me!

D
Derrah Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by KaylaAndy
The decision begins and ends with deciding what you want:

A project? To rehab his low self esteem, alcoholism, destructive parenting behavior and redeem his soul from the hell he's created in his life?

Or a partner? Someone who will step up and say you are worth all the effort and work it would take to win you back and win the heart and confidence of his daughter back?

He could become either man. But one thing is for certain. If you will welcome back a project, he will be a project. If you refuse the project, he will have to choose to become a partner, or get out of your life.

Get thyself to Al-Anon NOW/Yesterday. And start learning how to refuse to accept any more projects in your life and terminate all relationships with projects right now. They are not rewarding. They will suck the life out of you and out of everyone who loves you.

I hope you are hearing me!

You bet I am!!! Great way to put it. I DO NOT want a project. WH sent me a copy of a text conversation he had with DD15 yesterday. He tried to tell her he loves her, yet as she threw up walls, he became sarcastic. For instance, when she let him have it about finding naked pictures of the OW on his computer his response was "get over it." Not at all what DD15 needs to hear from her father. What's interesting is how he admitted to me he is "trying to reach out to her," "just wanted to let me know" and "may not be doing it well." In the past, I would have jumped in to try and fix it. This time I just replied and suggested he show the texts to his therapist.

I am in a 12-step program now. Just beginning to work the steps. Already, have found some freedom in it. And I know I still have a lot of work to do!!!

My hope is that he can become a partner, but emails like that one show me that he is still a project - may always be a project.

BS-me 42yrs
WH-him 50yrs
OW 31yrs and single
married 18yrs
together 21yrs
DD15
DS12
WH moves out 6/14/2009
WH asks for D 7/18/2009
WH sees therapist 9/2009
H
H
Hi Derrah,

You are getting yourself into a "good place". Alanon is all about you and finding serenity in the madness.

Be the best person you can be. Yes we are all older, and heavier or whatever. Work on positive changes for yourself. Don't like what you see. Start to walk, start to exercise. Like Alanon make baby steps.

Work on yourself mentally, spiritually and physically. Your self esteem will get better.

My XH whines to everyone that I am poisoning DD's mind. He is still not taking responsibility for his actions. It is sad but I do know he has to hit rock bottom and he is started to slip off of the mountain. I know that God is working on him and I try and stay out of His way.

God bless.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
D
Derrah Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Would love your honest input...

Talked to WH the other day. Just had a sneaking suspicion... Asked him if he was still in counseling. He said "no" - that at his therapist's suggestion, they would discontinue. Therapist reportedly said, "You seem pretty healthy to me." WH believes that there is no working on any family relationship (marriage, relationship with his parents, etc...) until my DD15 comes around and rebuilds a relationship with him. I told him that he's got it backwards. She has been so hurt, that the only way I think she will let him get close to her is after she has observed how he treats me, his parents, his sister - all of the people he has severed relationship with. I said she will be watching you carefully to see if you have changed and to see if you will be safe for her. He disagreed.

He is not in any recovery program for alcohol. He feels he has learned to deal with the triggers on his own and is better able to manage his loneliness.

He is also in contact with OW. He said there is no relationship, but they talk occasionally. When I asked him to define his relationship with her, he said, "Well, she's not my girlfriend... you're not my girlfriend ... no one is my girlfriend." To which I replied, "No. I am not your girlfriend. I have not been your girlfriend for 20 years. I am your wife." He is not willing to work on the marriage - go to counseling, etc - and says there is no point if my daughter is refusing to see him. I tried giving him the information Steve Harley suggested. He does agree that the best possible scenario would be for him to be in love with the mother of his children. He doesn't see how it's possible in light of our daughter - and he continues to blame me for the affair (I didn't keep the house clean enough, I gained weight, I didn't put his name of the account of an inheritance I received from a family member). He said he is willing to look at the MB site, but not willing to make an appt. with Steve Harley. I told him that if we worked on the marriage it would not be possible for him to be in relationship with the OW. He said he disagrees. He also said he is not willing to rehash any details of the affair for me. Said he is only willing to move forward.

When my WH called in September, wanting to right his ways and come home, my three conditions were:
1. treatment for alcohol
2. no OW
3. we get professional help
He agreed to do all three of these in September. He has managed to slide his way out of each condition.

Three strikes we're out?! What do I do with this?

Last edited by Derrah; 02/12/10 11:16 AM. Reason: typo

BS-me 42yrs
WH-him 50yrs
OW 31yrs and single
married 18yrs
together 21yrs
DD15
DS12
WH moves out 6/14/2009
WH asks for D 7/18/2009
WH sees therapist 9/2009
F
F
Originally Posted by Derrah
When my WH called in September, wanting to right his ways and come home, my three conditions were:
1. treatment for alcohol
2. no OW
He agreed to do all three of these in September. He has managed to slide his way out of each condition.

Sounds like it's Plan B time. Or Plan D, whichever you feel is more appropriate.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
M
M
Straight to Plan B.

Have you read up on this? Start prepping yourself.

If you WH is going to read here and this is your real name, change your screenname ASAP.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
P
P
He is not in any recovery program for alcohol.
redflag

He feels he has learned to deal with the triggers on his own and is better able to manage his loneliness.
redflag

He is also in contact with OW.
redflag

He said there is no relationship, but they talk occasionally.
rotflmao Well, this explains how he intends to ~~~> "manage his loneliness".. By NOT being alone ! redflag

He is not willing to work on the marriage - go to counseling, etc - and says there is no point if my daughter is refusing to see him.
redflag

he continues to blame me for the affair (I didn't keep the house clean enough, I gained weight, I didn't put his name of the account of an inheritance I received from a family member).

Don't you just love untreated alcoholic crazy logic? It's priceless. MrRollieEyes
redflag
redflag
redflag

I told him that if we worked on the marriage it would not be possible for him to be in relationship with the OW. He said he disagrees.
redflag

He also said he is not willing to rehash any details of the affair for me.
redflag

Said he is only willing to move forward.

ON HIS TERMS. rotflmao
redflag

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. treatment for alcohol
2. no OW

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More than 3 strikes.
naughty But, you already know that.

I have a question for you.

How is it that you do not follow your own rules/requirements?

And another question ....

Have you completely lost your senses ????

T
T

That's pretty much how it works. If you listed any attitude or intention, on his part, that was in your favor, I sure missed it. It seems to me that this man is looking for capitulation. YOURS!! And if you oblige him by giving in to his "conditions" for "recovery", I don't think it's gonna be a one-time shot. I think you'll pay for that decision over and over again...for a very long, long time.

tl

M
M

My FWH did this as well...it was because he was still in C.

Add to that an alcohol problem and there is no chance in h*ll you will recover the M. He needs to hit rock bottom and he hasn't yet.

Plan B, my friend...

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

P
P
He has managed to slide his way out of each condition.

Because ????
He thinks you will capitulate on your requirements.
Say what you mean, and mean what you say!

J
J
Sounds like plan B/D time to me. He thinks he can still manipulate you and just take what he wants.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
D
Derrah Offline OP
OP Offline
D
You all are a consistent bunch aren't you?!!! I really appreciate your responses. I will re-read on Plan B.

You know, if this were happening to a friend, it would seem more clear. My heart is tied though... clouding my perception.

Must say I am a little scared to move forward with Plan B. My WH and I are at least communicating and being polite to each other. But, he cannot be indulged in his "I want what I want, when I want it and how I want it" mid-life motto. I am afraid he is cake-eating! Going to start reading on Plan B today!!!

(Derrah is not my real name, but I am afraid my tag would alert him if he got on the boards. How do I change it?)

BS-me 42yrs
WH-him 50yrs
OW 31yrs and single
married 18yrs
together 21yrs
DD15
DS12
WH moves out 6/14/2009
WH asks for D 7/18/2009
WH sees therapist 9/2009
P
P
Go to "my stuff" link.
Then go to "edit profile"
Scroll to bottom ... last item, edit whatever you think necessary.

P
P
You know, if this were happening to a friend, it would seem more clear. My heart is tied though... clouding my perception.

That's why you need to think your way through the plans.
You can always make a decision to reconcile with no conditions what-so-ever.

Imagine what torture that would be !

If you need your husband so much, that you are willing to endure OW, alcohol, and whatever other hurtful selfish things he decides he is entitled to ... then you really have no use for our advice.

P
P
You know, if this were happening to a friend, it would seem more clear.

It's happening to your daughter !

I found out when my DD(15) got on to his computer to look for some photos she had taken of an art exhibit some time ago. While DD was on the computer, she found a close up photo of their genitals, topless photos of this woman, and photos of the two of them at a baseball game where we live. My daughter sleuthed out the OW�s personal info by getting onto my WH�s Skype and email accounts. She tracked the frequency of their calls and pulled up emails of the two of them professing their love for each other and my husband talking descriptively to the other woman about their sexual encounters. My daughter emailed all of this information to her email account.

That night, my DD told my sister and the two of them told me.

I confronted WH. At first he denied until I told him about what our daughter had found. WH quickly became irate and blamed DD for being on his computer. He stormed into her room and yelled, �Why did you do this to me?� My daughter replied, �Why did I do this to you? Why did you do this to us? Why did you do this to mom? Don�t you love us?� To which he replied to DD, �No, I do not love you.� WH agreed to talk to me. As he was leaving the house, he tried to bar my sister from comforting my now sobbing daughter. DD stayed with her cousin that night and for several nights after that.

How much does her heart need to suffer because you are afraid ?

P
P
It's the FEAR .... by Star*Fish

It is the fear that paralyzes you, sends blood rushing through your veins, sours your stomach, and interupts your sleep. It is the fear that gives away your power, your hope, and your forgiveness. It is fear that robs you of the active self and traps you in the role of patronizing enabler who will take them back at ANY cost...even if the price is too high. It is fear that keeps you from confronting and exposing. And fear that prevents you from enforcing your boundaries and having compassion for yourself.

Fear of abandonment.
Fear of rejection.
Fear of reaction....yours, theirs.
Fear of future...the unknown.
Fear of destitution and want.
Fear of failure.
Fear of losing.
Fear of loss.
Fear of solitude.
Fear of settling.
Fear of change.
Fear of lack of change.
Fear
Fear

Infidelity creates FEAR....and fear is crippling. Research shows us what we already know in our hearts....when we are fearful....we are unable to fire up the parts of our brains that "process" information on a logical, rational, spirtual level and create solutions that increase the odds for success in crises. When we are fearful....we don't use our neocortex....but instead, it is our limpic system which lights up our MRIs....our animal brains wired for "fight or flight".

There is no HOPE in our animal brains....because our indentity, our souls, our compassion....don't reside there. You are only capable of conflict or escape when you are there....so you must find a quiet place to deal with your fears so that you can confront, expose, do all the things that overcoming infidelity entails....all the things that happiness entails. You must value yourself as well as protect yourself, without fear of losing your WS or enforcing boundaries.....because if you don't....all your fears will be realized anyway.

MB is not designed to trap you in a marriage where your feelings are crushed and disrespected or the vows of marriage are meaningless. It's designed to help you overcome fear and give you hope that marriages CAN recover from infidelity....but you must be brave and be willing to risk losing your WS in order to regain trust, fidelity, security.

You must be willing to see beyond your pain and take logical and systematic steps to undermine the affair and increase the stability and security of your marriage. That takes courage above pain. It takes the peacefulness of knowing you are strong enough to lose a self indulgent and unrepentant spouse or recover with a flawed, but motivated one.

Don't let your fear take back a spouse who isn't ready to do the hard work recovery after infidelity entails. It is an invitation for misery.

If you don't believe you CAN survive without your WS....you cannot do what you must do to ensure success.

Stop being fearful of their threats...they are just excuses to leave or be selfish.

Stop being fearful of their reactions....their reactions arise from their guilt...not your boundaries.

Stop being fearful of taking a stand....it's the only way to gain respect or trust.

Stop being fearful of being alone.....until you can stand on your own and risk losing them, you will NEVER know if they remain with you by choice. And you will never know if you want them or you NEED them.

And if you need them....even if they return....you are in trouble chere.

D
Derrah Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Good point, Pepperband.

Question: how do I do Plan B with children?
My DS12 still sees WH (about 1x/week). Do I tell WH I am only willing to text/email with regard to him seeing DS12? With regard to any financial arrangements we need to make? With regard to any decisions regarding the kids? Do I tell the kids why I am going NC?

Do I tell them something like... "In September, Dad said he was sorry and he was willing to work on the marriage. He was willing to get help for his alcohol problem and he was willing to get rid of the OW. He is no longer willing to work on the marriage, he has stopped getting help for his alcohol problem, and he is still talking to the OW. Because of this, I will no longer see Dad or talk to him until he is willing to do the steps I have asked him to. I will continue to text/email Dad so that DS12 can see him."

Thoughts?

BS-me 42yrs
WH-him 50yrs
OW 31yrs and single
married 18yrs
together 21yrs
DD15
DS12
WH moves out 6/14/2009
WH asks for D 7/18/2009
WH sees therapist 9/2009
M
M
You find an IM (InterMediary) to pass all info regarding kids and finances (and that is IT) back and forth between you and WH.

You have no conctact with him WHATSOEVER. That is the whole point of Plan B.

Do you have a friend who might be willing to pass this info back and forth? When I was in PB our IM passed info strictly via email and text messages. I think there may have been 1 or 2 phone calls due to emergencies but mostly she stuck to email and TMing us about things.

Last edited by MarriedForever; 02/12/10 01:04 PM. Reason: typo

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

D
Derrah Offline OP
OP Offline
D
[quote=Pepperband]It's the FEAR .... by Star*Fish

Thank you. I really needed to read this. It is spot on!!! I'm going to print it out and place it where I read this every day.

BS-me 42yrs
WH-him 50yrs
OW 31yrs and single
married 18yrs
together 21yrs
DD15
DS12
WH moves out 6/14/2009
WH asks for D 7/18/2009
WH sees therapist 9/2009
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 431 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation