Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
The following quote was written by a long ago Mber.
It's a light hearted approach to a serious issue.

I think I'm going to sue Betty Crocker. It's all their fault.

I started making a cake today. I read half of the instructions, but it soon became apparent to me that they had written them for general use and not for my very special, unique circumstances. I quickly revised a few things to meet the needs of my situation.

I got some things out to do it. The recipe said that I needed 3 eggs. I only had one, and going to the store was very inconvenient. I decided just to use the one and a package of Egg Beaters.

I got out a bowl. It wasn't a mixing bowl like the instructions said. It was just a plain old soup bowl, but that should have been good enough. I mean, really, what do they want?

Since the cake takes so long to make and bake, and I didn't want to wait that long, I just kept dipping my spoon into the mix and eating it as I went along. I set the oven to 500 degrees and turned it on to preheat. I added 4 cups of olive oil and my eggs. The package said vegetable oil, but olive oil is so much better for you that I decided to substitute it.

I got out my electric mixer like the one pictured on the package and turned it on the highest level. (I mean, HELLO, I want this sooner than later!) Well, let me tell you, the stuff went flying EVERYWHERE! WTF were they thinking?! Since the mixer obviously wasn't working, I just got out a spoon and stirred my mixture a few times.

I poured the mixture into the exact pan size that they said, and it didn't even cover the BOTTOM OF THE PAN, so I transferred the batter to a smaller pan that was 3 inches deep. I like thicker cakes, anyway.

I put the pan in the oven, and go to watch some TV. Who wants to watch something bake? I have better things to do!

Well, 45 minutes later I go to check on my cake (cause it was NOT smelling good) and I notice black smoke everywhere! The batter had oozed all over the side of my pan and burning on the oven's heating element! The rest of the cake was completely charred, there's no way I can eat that. It doesn't even look like a cake.

The box DID say to only bake it for 25 minutes, but really, should that be MY responsibility? Shouldn't the cake just KNOW when it's done and stop baking? Come on, it's the 21st century.

So, here I am standing in the middle of a mess with a worthless burnt cake. My oven is almost ruined, I've got cake mixture on every surface in my kitchen, and I didn't get to have my cake, let alone eat it too.

I don't advise anyone here to buy Betty Crocker products. They are nothing but a fraudulent rip-off. Your kitchen could be ruined.

And I'm suing them. It's all their fault.

When you come to MARRIAGE BUILDERS looking for marriage help ...

PLEASE ** PLEASE ** PLEASE

READ and FOLLOW the ENTIRE "recipe".

ASK for help, if you do not understand the "recipe".

Don't think that if you follow the "easy" parts of the "recipe", and leave out the more challenging parts, you will get the same results.

You won't.

ARE YOU GOING TO SUE BETTY CROCKER, BECAUSE YOU DID NOT FOLLOW THE RECIPE AND YOUR CAKE CAME OUT CRAPPY?

Z
Z
Bravo Pepper. Great analogy. smile

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Zeke351
Bravo Pepper. Great analogy. smile

I "borrowed" it. cool

P
OP Offline
P
READ and FOLLOW the ENTIRE "recipe"

It's so difficult for me to gather the energy to explain MB principles to posters who have been on MB for years .... FOR YEARS .... and apparently have not read the entire "Harley recipe".

C
C
Thanks, Pepperband.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
READ and FOLLOW the ENTIRE "recipe"

It's so difficult for me to gather the energy to explain MB principles to posters who have been on MB for years .... FOR YEARS .... and apparently have not read the entire "Harley recipe".

hurray I so agree. I don't understand the point of discussing putting a patch on one tire when the solution is to replace ALL the tires. If you just endlessly patch tires, nothing ever gets better; nothing ever changes. I guess thats a good way to keep people coming back year after year for patches, but it never solves the problem.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
LOL....my favorite one was "The Boat". smile

P
OP Offline
P
LOL....my favorite one was "The Boat". smile

I stored this "Betty Crocker" post (on my notable posts thread) forever.

I don't remember "the boat".

Is it about rowing together, and in the same direction? (Maybe I do remember it, a little)

S
S
"The Boat" was about a husband and wife in the middle of an ocean in a small boat taking on water. They arguing about whose fault it is that they're sinking, and each refusing to start bailing first....completely ignoring the fact that they are both going down together! I don't know if I have it....but I'll look. smile

M
M
Here's "the boat" post, Pep.

Here is my original short story that was posted on EN over a year ago. I call it "A Tale of Two Takers".

John and Kate bought a beautiful new boat. This boat was the most grand of all that they had seen. This boat was perfect for them, strong and sturdy. They were sure that it would last them the rest of their lives.

At first, they took almost obsessively good care of the boat. Kate would rub the seats with protectant each week. John always made sure the engine was properly taken care of. They worked together and the boat shined and was very reliable. They did this every week, then every other week; then they made sure to do it each month...

Winter was setting in, and it was Kate's job to make sure the boat was shrink-wrapped to winterize it; however, Kate really wanted to go to lunch with her friends that day. She was upset that she did it each year. That day, she decided that if he wouldn't do it, neither would she. So, she went to lunch and a movie with her friends and had a great time.

John noticed that Kate hadn't had the boat shrink-wrapped, and it made him angry. He knew that he could do it, but that wasn't the point. The point was that it was KATE's job to do it. So, he didn't do it, either. Kate was fuming that John didn't get the boat wrapped, but was not going to give in. She did it EVERY year and was not about to do it this year. She was getting very mad at John. She noticed rust beginning to show on the motor, but she decided that the motor was John's job. If he were doing his job, then he'd notice on his own.

John noticed that the boat didn't look as good as it used to. It didn't shine and it was showing signs of age. The upholstery was cracking and mold and mildew were obvious. He was angry and finally decided that if Kate wasn't going to do her job, then by God - neither would he. There were other things he wanted to do, too. So he spent his weekends watching sports and golfing and had a great time.

They went on like this day after day for what seemed like forever. Then one day they were out on their boat. Kate noticed water seeping in, and told John that they had a leak. John told her that the boat could not leak. It was made of very durable material and some water must have just splashed in the boat. Kate watched more and more water come in, and finally got John's attention. He couldn't find the leak, so he went to turn on the motor to get them to shore. The motor, however, would not start. It had not been serviced, oiled, or kept in good condition. This day it finally failed. That's when Kate and John realized that their boat was sinking.

There were 2 buckets in the cabin, so Kate told John to get them. He wanted Kate to get them. Finally, Kate went and came back with one bucket. John looked at her very exasperated. If she couldn't get HIM a bucket, too, then he didn't NEED a bucket. SHE could bail it herself. Kate figured if John wouldn't bail, then neither would she. It was HIS neglect that got them in this situation; therefore, he should bail first. John was steadfast that Kate should bail first. After all, she neglected her job in the first place, which made him not care about his. SHE started it.

The water was getting deeper. John relented and went and got his bucket. That way, he'd have it in hand to start bailing. BUT Kate would have to start. It was HER fault and HER problem. Kate decided since John went and got a bucket, she would wait for him to start bailing. HE had let the boat fall into such disrepair. He should bail all night; it was his just due.

Finally, the boat had enough water to seriously be testing Archimedes' principle. They looked at each other. Kate said, "I'll bail if you start. This IS your fault." John said, "My fault? You started it! You should bail first!"

And the boat sank. How silly to stand there in a sinking boat arguing over who should start bailing....

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

P
OP Offline
P
That's brilliant!
Thanks Mrs W.

hurray hurray hurray hurray hurray hurray hurray hurray

WHAT a co-inky-dink, this is a story about John and Kate !

M
M

WHAT a co-inky-dink, this is a story about John and Kate !

I KNOW!!! I thought the SAME thing!

Mrs. W stickout

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
S
Thanks MrsW....I love that story! What a great analogy, and how true.

P
OP Offline
P
[Linked Image from freesmileys.org]

P
OP Offline
P
[Linked Image from freesmileys.org]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation