Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
There is no one right answer that fits everyone, but following are some of my own opinions on general situations that ought to at least bring up the thought, "Should I still try to save my marriage?"

redflag Sexual abuse. This comes as close to an ironclad dealbreaker as anything I can think of. Still, as long as children aren't at risk it's a choice for the BS to make on their own.
redflagPhysical abuse. Another really, really bad sign. Having not experienced it myself, I don't feel qualified to comment much, except to say that significant counselling and very high boundaries in place would be a bare minimum to consider trying to salvage a M of this sort.
redflagRepeated affairs. This is pretty bad, too, and certainly cause for grave concern. Very few success stories follow multiple adulteries, but there are a few so I can't be too dogmatic. How very hard it is to recover should certainly be considered.
redflagLong-term affair. It is possible to recover, even from affairs spanning a decade or more, but just as with serial adultery it's very diffiult to recover successfully and should not be undertaken lightly, if at all.
redflagAffair lasting longer than 2 years in Plan B. Since nearly all A's are ended by the 2-year mark, this is an excellent recommendation for when to move on. Some may wait more, and some may wait less, and that's fine. It's just that even normal relationships often hit a major change then, and the foundation laid up to that point plays a key role in what happens next. Solid relationships shift and change and adjust, while selfish, dishonest relationships almost always collapse.
redflagPoor spouse material. If an A is a first, but an honest evaluation shows that the WS was never a good, loving spouse, chances are next to nil that they will change into wonderful people when the A is over. Run, don't walk, but that's just my opinion.
redflagShort marriage. If you've only been married a year or two before an A starts, and especially if you don't have kids yet, getting out is usually your best option.

I'm sure others can think of many more. This is just a start.

Disclaimer: The opinions contained herein are solely my own, and should not be needlepointed anywhere.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Within an A recovery, it's not nearly so cut-and-dried.

About my only blanket recommendation would be that, if both spouses are on board and trying, to please give it at least two years. By that time, the light at the end of the tunnel should be within reach, if it's going to be.

If only one spouse is on board, especially if the off-board spouse is the wayward, it's a crap shoot: no timeline - it's solely at the discretion of the BS.

Ditto in the case of any false R.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
P
P
The easy way is always the best way.
~ Needlepoint by Pep

I taught myself to needlepoint in the 70's, when I was a stewardess.
Long night flights, where hundreds of people would be sleeping.
I wanted a quiet, self contained activity that would pack/travel easily.
Back then, I could actually SEE what I was doing without a need to magnify small, close objects.

I think your list of items "Knowing When to Call it Quits" ... is quite good.

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
That's so cool! I can crochet, but the word "needlepoint" has so much more oomph to it. I remember back when I could see little stuff, too.

(And thank you.)

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
M
M
Originally Posted by Neak
That's so cool! I can crochet, but the word "needlepoint" has so much more oomph to it. I remember back when I could see little stuff, too.

(And thank you.)

I used to manage a number of large craft stores in the mid-west and was around needlework stuff all the time. (= alcoholic tending bar.) So you can imagine my collection of all the cross-stitch threads, all the needlepoint canvases, quilt kits and other such womanly arts that I collected up with my employee discount, meaning to do when I had time. Then I had laser eye surgery and couldn't do fine work anymore...sigh...

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
And sorry - no t/j intended. Continue with the list topic, please. smile

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
T/J's aren't permitted, because they aren't possible with me. My whole life is one big T/J, and I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't hopping from one subject to the next to the next. grin

So I thought of one more, in honor of one of our esteemed MB'ers.

redflagYour spouse tries to have you killed. I think for most of us this would be a dealbreaker right up there with sexual abuse, but hey, if you want to sleep with your eyes open every night for the rest of your life, I guess that's your choice.

Now, where were we with the needlepoint?

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
It is SUCH a good thing neither Neaksis nor I ever owned a craft store.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
P
P
redflagPoor spouse material. If an A is a first, but an honest evaluation shows that the WS was never a good, loving spouse, chances are next to nil that they will change into wonderful people when the A is over. Run, don't walk, but that's just my opinion.

Lazy
Addicted
Mean
Rude
Selfish
Not "present"
Lacks social skills
Hates your family
Spends money he/she does not have
Treats others badly (not just you)

I
I
redflag
Addiction. If your spouse is an alcoholic, drug addict, or sex addict who is unwilling to address the issue, that is a deal breaker, IMO

Me:BW, FWH 1DD 1DS
H
H
Turns from human companionship to swine??

redflag

Last edited by hope3343; 03/10/10 03:26 PM.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
S
S
Originally Posted by hope3343
Turns from human companionship to swine??

redflag
Well, that would be all of them, wouldn't it?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,183 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation