Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2338779 03/17/10 02:35 PM
T
OP Offline
T
This started under another thread and seemed big enough to warrant its own discussion, so here it goes...

My WW has a very good female friend who I believe gave her the support she needed to have her affair.

Also, an xGF I had a long while back also cheated on me. And she too had a very good female friend who I believe gave her the support she needed to cheat.

How much responsibility should be placed on the head of the enabling friend?

And what do you do with the enabling friend if reconciliation is to take place?

Right now, I really don't feel like speaking to my WW's friend for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, I doubt my wife will ever give up that friendship, plus they are related by blood. So what are my options?

BH(Me)=40
WXW=38
ILYBNILWY: 8/09
DDAY: 8/31/09
Two boys: 8,7
Divorced 3/23/2011

Don't let your eyes refuse to see. Don't let your ears refuse to hear. Or you ain't never gonna shake this sense of sadness. --Ray Lamontagne
K
K
You cut the enabling friend out of your life the way an addict would cut his drug dealer out of his life.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
I
I
Some couples leave home to escape from OM/OW. Why not leave enabling friend?

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams -Yeats
T
OP Offline
T
Unfortunately, the enabling friend is my WW's long time best friend and cousin. She is basically her sister. They talk on the phone every day. Sometimes several times a day.

Getting WW to lose enabling friend is going to prove even more difficult than getting WW to lose OM.

BH(Me)=40
WXW=38
Divorced 3/23/2011

Don't let your eyes refuse to see. Don't let your ears refuse to hear. Or you ain't never gonna shake this sense of sadness. --Ray Lamontagne
R
R
My FWW's GF was the only person that knew about the A. She knew during the 1 1/2 year A and the 10 years that followed until I finally found about the A.

The stories I have heard about how GF encouraged FWW to stop and how much I loved her. I actually believe them. But I have still eliminated GF from our lives. Why? Her secrecy made her complicit in the lies and deceit. Her silence enabled the A to continue.

TE, my wife knows the GF is off limits. She is not a friend to our marriage. Her act was one of selfishness. She preferred her friendship to my FWW as opposed to doing what was right.

P
P
Originally Posted by TryingEverything
My WW has a very good female friend who I believe gave her the support she needed to have her affair.

My H had a long time friend (an adult male) who advised H that is was not just "OK" to have an affair, it was a really good idea to have an affair.
This (former) friend is an American who married a (slightly) famous Japanese woman, and they live in Japan. So, there is some cultural bias.

H's former friend was someone my H had always looked up to and tried to emulate. They work in the same industry.

Having said that, I would be a big fool to place anything more than peripheral importance on H's former friend's endorsement of adultery.

It was paramount for our recovery that H owned 100% of his decisions.
He's a big boy.
He did the crime.
He is responsible.
He can "take it like a man".

P
P
How much responsibility should be placed on the head of the enabling friend?

ZERO

And what do you do with the enabling friend if reconciliation is to take place?

Gone, forever.

Unfortunately, I doubt my wife will ever give up that friendship, plus they are related by blood. So what are my options?

That's what boundaries are for.

C
C
My XBIL was an enabler, coach, teacher and cheerleader to help Wayzilla get her EA across the line into a PA. Of course he was over a year into his own PA with a married woman. He even offered to be the underground anti-intermediary between Gollum and her at the end.

They had not really talked at all for years until they had their adulteries in common. Suddenly they were the bestest of friends. They would go to dinner together once a week but I think this was also used as cover a couple times for Wayzilla and Gollum to rut, sweat and exchange nasty fluids together. What a great guy. It must have made him very proud to do all this for his sister so she could, �be happy.�

I must be getting over it somewhat now because if I did come across him in an alley and he was totally immersed in fire I would piss on him a little. After I took pictures of course.

I think a lot of times it�s the �birds of a feather� syndrome as we have seen frequently these enabling BF�s have huge boundary issues if not being outright adulterers themselves.

Last edited by chrisner; 03/17/10 03:15 PM.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
W
W
Perhaps the enabling friend is someone the WS confides in just to justify what they are doing is okay. They will not tell any other friend about the affair because most likely their other friends will say "Don't do it!" Who wants to hear that. On the other hand if I find a friend that says "Heck yeah its a good idea to buy stock in GM right now." I feel more justified in doing it!

I think all WS's will have an enabling friend because they seek out justification of what they are doing. How close these friends are to the WS might show how quickly they can go wayward. It's like the OM/W, they don't seek out the enabling friend, they just happen.

T
OP Offline
T
Pep,

If ZERO responsibility, than why gone forever?

BH(Me)=40
WXW=38
Divorced 3/23/2011

M
M

You don't blame the pusher for your decision to use dope - but you still get rid of the pusher as a negative, toxic influence on your life.

Gone forever because you deserve better. Don't you?

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
P
P
Pep,

I've been through recovery.
Recovery is MUCH harder than you can imagine.
The only way to make it through recovery is for the wayward to accept 100% responsibility for their choices.

100%
That means people who were enablers get ZERO%.

One of the BAD choices H made, was to listen to BAD advice which led to his downfall.

Recovery must be optimized.
People who are not good influences, are to be removed from the equation.

You must not allow your wayward to assign ANY percentage of their choice to become an infidel .... to any one else.
Not you.
Not their enablers.

If the wayward thinks that their enabling friends have some % of responsibility ... they have less responsibility for their own choices.
A very BAD way to attempt recovery.
Probably fatal.

T
OP Offline
T
Good answer.

BH(Me)=40
WXW=38
Divorced 3/23/2011

P
P
Originally Posted by Mulan
You don't blame the pusher for your decision to use dope - but you still get rid of the pusher as a negative, toxic influence on your life.

Gone forever because you deserve better. Don't you?

Well written.

T
T
Originally Posted by chrisner
I must be getting over it somewhat now because if I did come across him in an alley and he was totally immersed in fire I would piss on him a little. After I took pictures of course.
That is great! [Linked Image from emoticons4u.com]

N
N
Pep,

Pep is right..... Recovery is HARD HARD HARD work.....

You really don't need the added stress of wondering how "friend" is influencing WW every time they interact. You'll have enough stressor to deal with.

I lost a dear friend in my BIL through my sisters affair. Why? Because my H KNEW of sis affair and kept it quiet. BIL felt betrayed, and rightly so. Neither sis nor BIL blames my H for her decision but my H's betrayal and enabling behavior (add in H's own affair shortly thereafter), was more than BIL could take.

I hate what that decision has cost ME but I understand BIL need to do this........

P
P
Originally Posted by not2fun
Because my H KNEW of sis affair and kept it quiet. BIL felt betrayed, and rightly so.

OUCH

I hate what that decision has cost ME but I understand BIL need to do this........

Yeah.
*sigh*

T
OP Offline
T
I do fear that WW will never agree to giving up enabler friend. As I said, they are like sisters. That could be the deal breaker.

BH(Me)=40
WXW=38
Divorced 3/23/2011

P
P
I do fear that WW will never agree to giving up enabler friend. As I said, they are like sisters. That could be the deal breaker.

Does WW fear she might lose you?

M
M

The sad thing is you can't "talk" your WW into giving up the friend. As implied from Pep's answer to your "why gone forever" question, your WW must come to the point IN HER OWN MIND where she realizes that the friend is a bad influence and therefore must go. You can't do that for her.

You'll know when she's approaching FORMER WW status when she gives up the friend of her own accord.

The Macnut-42, W - 45 3 stepkids,
SDD - 27, SDS1 - 22, SDS2 - 18
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (SadNewYorker, 1 invisible), 1,091 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation