Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2346515 04/01/10 01:51 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Could be a DJ but all american's make jerky...right???
grin

We smuggled things back into NZ the last time we were over there (mayo, jerky, almonds, mustard and hot sauce) and it's all run out now cry Flick wants some genuine jerky because the local stuff isnt quite right and his one attempt was so bad the birds wouldnt eat it....

We are looking for simple, not too equipment heavy and with ingrediants we can source in NZ, please.

kiss

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
N
N
YOu smuggled MAYO???.... skeptical

Sorry love, can't help with a recipe......

not2fun

M
M
I make my own jerky and it is better than anything I ever bought and somewhat easy to make. I make it in a Nesco dehydrator. here

I go to the meat market when London Broil or rump roast is on sale and ask them to cut it for jerky. Its sort of pain in butt to cut up all the meat so I avoid it if I can.

I marinate it from 4 to 24 hours in the following:

Allegro hickory smoke marinade [this is soy based and has alot of salt in it - make this about 60+% of your concoction] allegro

2-3 little bottles of Liquid smoke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_smoke

dash of cayenne
dash pepper
dash garlic powder
1 TEASPOON of Splenda
dried crush peppers

Cook in your dehydrator - in the garage! it will smell up your house - for about 8 hours. I usually make up about 5 pounds of meat at a time and it gives me a huge baggie of meat.

I realize you might not have these brand in NZ, so I posted the links so you can see the ingredients and get something close.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

not2fun #2346626 04/01/10 09:31 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by not2fun

But Vegemite is probably easy to get... puke

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
M
M
Originally Posted by bitbucket
Originally Posted by not2fun

But Vegemite is probably easy to get... puke

rotflmao or "spotted [censored]!" grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
BTW that jerky recipe sounds great...I might try it soon.

Beef was invented in Texas, y'know... grin

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
L
OP Offline
L
spotted d1ck is a british reciepe, not a kiwi one.

Re the mayo... every shop we went to had those itty bitty packets of mayo so I 'collected' them and bought them back withme. I was eking them out, but still, I ran out frown We dont get as good mayo over here.

Vegemite is wonderful stuff, marmite on the other hand is ewww

We have nothing likeliquid smoke as far as I can tell. Is there an alternative?

F
F
Originally Posted by lildoggie
We dont get as good mayo over here.
"Get?"

You can make your own mayonnaise in about 5 minutes, and it's far better than anything you can buy in a jar.
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon sugar
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
  • 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
  • 4 teaspoons hot water
Preparation:

Beat yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl until very thick and pale yellow. (Note: If using electric mixer, beat at medium speed.) Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and hot water. Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water. Add 1/2 cup oil in a very fine steady stream, beating constantly, then mix in remaining lemon juice and water; slowly beat in remaining oil. If you like, thin mayonnaise with a little additional hot water. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Do not keep longer than 1 week.

Yield: 1-1/2 cups

Blender or Processor Mayonnaise Place yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 3 teaspoons lemon juice in blender cup or work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, and buzz 15 seconds (use low blender speed). Now, with motor running, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup oil (use moderately high blender speed). As mixture begins to thicken, continue adding oil in a fine steady stream, alternating with hot water and remaining lemon juice. Stop motor and scrape mixture down from sides of blender cup or work bowl as needed.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
T
T
I personally think eating jerky is an LB - it makes one's breath stink, making me unenthusiatic about kissing! Ha!

B
B
Liquid Smoke is silly yankee foolishness!

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M
Originally Posted by bigkahuna
Liquid Smoke is silly yankee foolishness!

We are TEXANS, not yankees, you foreign devil!! mad

Exposure 101

T
T
Haven't y'all heard the phrase, Don't mess with Texas?? I'm from A-luh-bayuh-muh and I know that one.

L
OP Offline
L
I dont care if your from Waikakmukau, have you got any jerky recipes? laugh

I liked the mayo one. I can make Aioli, but it doesnt keep well, and frankly, we like the one in the wee packet. Call us odd. We dont care, just give us MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rotflmao

N
N
Hi Lil,

Thanks for adding sunshine to my day! You always make me smile. I have a recipe for jerky that you cook long and slow in the oven.. I will search for it over the weekend. I'll also try and find that beautiful email about NZ and send it again. Easter blessings to you and your family!

B
B
Lil - Don't listen to the Texan's. The real beef jerky is made outside in a smoker. That's the way the indians did it, except they didn't have a smoker.

Easy Recipe

Basic Homemade Beef Jerky

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds sirloin or flank steak, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
4 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
4 cloves garlic
1 chopped onion
DIRECTIONS:
In a large, nonporous bowl, combine the ground black pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and add the meat slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Prepare an outdoor smoker for low heat and lightly oil grate.

Lay the meat out on the grill so that the strips do not touch. Smoke over the lowest heat on your smoker or the coolest spot on your grill. Beef jerky will be done when the edges appear dry with just a tiny bit of moisture in the middle of the pieces of meat, or about 6-8 hours.

Here in California we also smoke fish, any kind of moist fish, but especially salmon or trout, goat, venison, iguana.

The fun part is doing the marinade - you can change it, add whatever you feel like adding, or leave out soy sauce, add lime juice, and on and on. You can make different marinades and see which one you like best.

believer #2348047 04/04/10 01:39 AM
N
N
Lil,

This includes instructions on cooking jerky in your oven. Hope this helps.

JERKY

Start with several pounds of very lean beef roast. You should choose a roast with visible grain, if possible, and little or no fat. It needn't be very high quality, and in fact, tougher cuts seem to actually work better.
Mix a marinade with some or all of the following:

Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Brown sugar
Crushed garlic
Hot pepper sauce (Tabasco or other)
Red cooking wine
Jamaican Jerk seasoning or A-1 sauce

Mixing the sauce is largely a matter of taste. The result should be close to 3 parts soy sauce, 1 part Worcestershire, 1 part brown sugar and the rest as desired. It should be a very strong salty, spicy and slightly sweet solution. The rest of the ingredients depend on your taste, and the list is by no means exhaustive.
Adding red wine will decrease the saltiness and/or dilute it if you get it too spicy without affecting the flavor greatly. You should not use more than about 30 to 40% red wine, however, since the saltiness is necessary to preserve the meat. Don't get too hung up on the recipe, it is good just about any way you fix it.

With a very sharp knife, slice the uncooked roast with the grain (usually lengthwise down the roast) into strips about 1/8 inch thick. Thinner will make the jerky spicier and crisper, thicker, up to about 1/4 inch will make it easier to slice, but increases drying time.

Trim fat once again, and put the slices in a large Ziploc bag with the marinade. Squeeze to remove as much air as possible. Let it marinate at room temperature for at least an hour.

Remove the strips and place in a dehydrator. Spread them in a single layer on each rack, and sprinkle with great quantities of black pepper on one side. Dry on high (145 degrees) in the dehydrator, or turn your oven temperature selector until the light just comes on (the lowest setting possible) and dry on a rack in the oven.

In the oven, prop the door open about 3 inches at the top. Drying time is about 8 to 10 hours, but can take twice that long for thicker pieces. Bending should splinter some of the outside fibers when done.

It should keep at room temperature for a couple of weeks, and will actually get better in a day or two as the moisture content becomes more uniform throughout.

L
OP Offline
L
thank you, thank you B and Ndp.

I dont have a dehydrator but I think I can adapt that to the oven.. is 145 degrees C or F?

B, I found a shop here yesterday that sells wood chips for smoking, is there any one in particular you recommend?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation