Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Mulan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
but we cannot choose always who we fall in love with and why.

Oh, bloody hell yes you can. And we all do. Whenever you meet someone attractive, there is always a point at which you ask yourself, "Should I let this go any further? *Will* I let this go any further?" And you either say Yes and keep going, or No and shut the door.

"You can't help who you fall in love with" is one of the mantras of the WS (after being busted, of course). You absolutely CAN and DO choose you who fall in love with. It's no accident and nobody is just a helpless victim who fell in love against their will, or without being aware of it.

Sheesh.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
M
M
Oh dear...cut the guy a break.

He was in luvvvvvv

How can luvvv be bad???

Mr. W

A
A
puke

my $.02.

AnnaBelle Rose

Me: 29 WH:31 DS: 22mths M: almost 6 years, together 7 1/2
I am not a mistake. - ABR
S
S
I always told my daughters that is is just as easy to fall in love with a smart, rich man as it is to fall in love with a stupid, poor man.

My oldest daughter is on her third marriage:

First man, older, smart, poor. He was mean, and crazy, and the marriage lasted one month. We tried to tell her, but she would not listen.

Second man was her age, poor, smart. He was great, but he was a cheater. He began with a moral compass, and then somewhere just began losing that compass and thinking about himself. It all began when he started college and thinking about...money...and what he could make.

Now, she meets a guy who is VERY SMART. He has no job. He is in college with her, so she isn't worried about that too much. I tell her, "Honey, there has to be at least the THOUGHT of being supported. Baby, could you at LEAST find a guy with a JOB? What does he DO to pay rent?" She laughed and said she wasn't sure, but he had a house, a car, and paid the bills. Besides, she wasn't going to MARRY the guy, just DATE him.

And then she called me about whether or not

she "should" allow herself to fall in love.

Because she thought she could love him.

And she thought he was the best man she had ever met. Only there was this "money" issue, and that she had not found out about his "invisible means of support" thing.

We discussed the problem, and I said that you cannot marry a man for money, or the lack of money, but it was a consideration that the two of you had to discuss. You had to support yourselves.

But DECIDING to be in love, was her decision - YES.

She decided that she would go ahead and love him. That this leap of faith in the MAN was right.

She decided it was the thing to do.

And it WAS the best decision for her.

Turns out, he was looking for a woman who might just NOT be looking for the money he had.

He found her.

She never asked about his money, or how he paid the rent, or about how they "might" support themselves, BEFORE she gave him her heart. She told him that as they moved toward their future they would work together to get the things they needed, and that her pay would contribute to the rent and the car and the food, and that together things would come along.

This was music to his ears. He had had his fill of the other kind of women. The women who looked first at his wallet.

Because.....

Later on, about five months before they were married, she found out...

He was sitting on a stack of coin.

They now live happily ever after. Because she CHOSE TO LOVE FIRST.

And Mulan, you are right on this.

You do choose.

Every step of the way.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
M
M
Plus you gotta love the old twist-a-roo logic of ...

"Well if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have done the things I'm still DOING"

Which means...

Bygones..

and how dare you judge me on something I started doing 2, 4 or even 10 years ago. Can't you see I'm a decent person NOW because I AGREE that I made a mistake back then.

Mr. W

M
M
Originally Posted by Mulan
[Oh, bloody hell yes you can. And we all do. Whenever you meet someone attractive, there is always a point at which you ask yourself, "Should I let this go any further? *Will* I let this go any further?" And you either say Yes and keep going, or No and shut the door.

What if I meet my soul-mate, Mulan??? lashes

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
MelodyLane-Then you would hear the director say, "CUT," and you would get a HUGE paycheque. laugh

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
Mulan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
What if I meet my soul-mate, Mulan???

Then peel him off the bottom of your shoe!

Oh - you said "soul-mate", not "sole-mate".

Well - if you keep the boundaries up, you will not meet anyone who professes to be your sole/soul-mate because you won't get close enough to them to find out.

If you are single and available, and you keep your boundaries properly up until you have made a choice, you might find someone you choose to love.

Dat's all I got on "sole-mates/soul-mates."

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
M
M
Another thing...

If you happen to meet your "soul-mate"...

Too bad..so sad.

You've already made your choice.

Mr. W

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
S
S
But God wants you to be happy...and if you happen to meet your soulmate while you are married, well follow Gods will and destroy your family so you can be happy...you deserve to be happy..your family doesnt. God wants you to be happy, he doesnt care if your family is happy though.

NOT!!!!!!

How about God wants you to be happy, that is why you have a family at home that loves you and would love for you to be happy with them. A family that is willing to forgive your mistake and work to make a loving and happy family. But I guess that just isnt good enough.

Last edited by stillhere8126; 04/26/10 06:38 PM. Reason: add a thought

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
married 12 Yrs together(?) 18 yrs when A discovered
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

Okay I fixed the ages, it was looking screwy. smile
F
F
How about "I prayed for a good man and God brought him to me" (OW talking about my husband).

Last edited by faithful follower; 04/26/10 07:02 PM.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
S
S
Originally Posted by faithful follower
How about "I prayed for a good man and God brought him to me" (OW talking about my husband).

Yeah, God loves to break up marriages... MrRollieEyes

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

T
T
Okay, I have a few issues here...First, I just ate a perfectly good homemade cookie, and this thread title made me throw it up. Beyond that, I guess I just have one thing to say

People are idiots, especially waywards

L
L
People justify their immorality by the rationalization, "God wants me to be happy." But the happiness they seem to want is only found in indulgence. I do believe God wants people to be happy, but not to the point that it overcomes the right thing to do

Its just justification; a part that in their minds, makes it all okay. �God wants me to be happy. This makes me happy. Therefore, God must approve of it.� What they are doing is reducing the God of glory to more manageable proportions; they trivialize God, and make Him into their own image. They re-fashion God, to make Him fit their expectations and serve their desires. They invent their own projects to suit the purpose, and then sign God on as a junior partner.

Last edited by lildoggie; 04/26/10 07:27 PM. Reason: clarify

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
T
T
yanoo...my pastor always said, God wants us to be HOLY. And THAT will make us happy.

I will be collecting an offering shortly

A
A
Originally Posted by lurioosi2
Okay, I have a few issues here...First, I just ate a perfectly good homemade cookie, and this thread title made me throw it up. Beyond that, I guess I just have one thing to say

People are idiots, especially waywards

rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Classic.

And I second the fact that people are idiots, with particular attention to waywards.

AnnaBelle Rose

Me: 29 WH:31 DS: 22mths M: almost 6 years, together 7 1/2
I am not a mistake. - ABR
W
W
Love is not something that just happens. It requires time, energy, and a great deal of effort to fall in love. Love must be cultivated. It isn't something you catch, like a cold.

Therefore, you most definitely can choose who you fall in love with. You choose who you spend time with and who you allow to meet your needs. You choose who you allow yourself to get close to. You choose who you open your heart to.

Now that that's perfectly clear, Luri, would you like me to send you a new cookie?

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
S
S
I believe that God wants us to be happy also...He gives us what we need and if we use these things and our good people we will have happiness (contentment). But if we are constantly looking for something better, You will never be happy with what you have.

I think these waynerds also are convinced that happiness is this constant euphoric feeling and I think that is wrong....what is wrong with happiness being contentment and gratitude with what we have...

One of my favorite quotes is "You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes well you might find you get what you need." It is just so fitting for these waynerds not working with their spouses to have a happy marriage, but bailing when they feel they have found something "better".

They dont seem to believe in sacrifice for happiness...they seem to want the easy way straight to happiness...but it is only temporary...

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

D
D
The OW called my WH her soul mate. I always figured it meant she didn't think highly of herself that her soul mate would be someone else's husband, who encouraged her to cheat on her own husband and destroy her own family as well as his.

But then, thinking lowly of herself was pretty accurate. rotflmao

Me: BW, 46
Him: WH, 48
EA/PA with co-worker 8-08 to 7-09
D-day 7-29
NC 8-17
OW and WH both fired from jobs
OW lost court case for restraining order- judge called her a "practiced deciever" who manufactured evidence!!
S
S
Originally Posted by faithful follower
Dr Harley addresses that rationalisation in The Lover's Perspective on Infidelity

OW writes,

"I have built a relationship with a man over a period of 10 years and the last 3 have been sexual. I want to spend the rest of my life with him, because being in love is such a beautiful experience, something I may never experience with anyone else.

I believe he is a gift from God. In all of its wrongness, there was so much right. I don't believe something so beautiful, could not have been a gift from above. But he does love two women, and we can't live in this triangle forever. He has chosen to try and make it right at home, and I cannot prevent him from trying. But we work together and neither of us can leave town. There's no chance of us escaping that way. And I can't stop loving him."

Dr Harley replies,

"People try to justify their behavior by creating a belief system that supports it. In your case, you try to believe that God had something to do with your affair. I've heard it expressed many times, but it can't possibly be true. God would never give you someone else's husband, because to do so would create so much pain for his wife and children.

Married men are out of bounds for you. You must find love and happiness among those who are not married because to do otherwise is the most cruel and self-centered thing you can do to a woman and her children. It may have been bliss for you, but it was a nightmare for your lover's wife.

You are right when you suggest that, even if he divorced his wife and married you, the relationship would not work. Most affairs don't end in marriage, and most of those that do, end in divorce. Affairs are definitely not the way to find a life partner."

I don't know how a person could believe that God would choose to destroy a family in order to bring happiness to the OP, but it seems they really do.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation