Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Hello everyone... I haven't been on the boards much due to crazy busy job and spending more time with my son, but it was good to catch up on everyone's sitch's and see that progress is, indeed, being made- even if it seems like one step forward, two steps back.

My question for you all is how would you handle it if your children said they wanted you and your ex back together. My son is 4 and while we were discussing our upcoming move to another state, he said he wanted daddy to come back to live with us. This is the second time he said it, and I suspect he will continue to feel this way.

When my mom left my dad, we were very happy (because he was abusive- to the point that he eventually ended up in jail for years) so I can't empathize with him.

I definitely don't want us back together, so I don't want to lie and say, "Me too honey," but at the same time I don't want to be disrespectful of ex or hurt son's feelings. After all, from his vantage point dad is awesome: buys him whatever he wants, takes him to the drive through all the time (yet is continually broke, but son doesn't see that at 4 years old).

If you�ve been in this situation, please tell me what worked for you (and what didn�t work too, so I can learn from your mistakes)!

Thanks,

DTC

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
M
M
If my marriage had ended because of adultery on my spouse's part, then I would respond by explaining, "I'm sorry, son, but we can't have that family together anymore. Your mother promised to be my wife forever and let me be her husband, but then she broke her promise and went to find another man."

I have no answer for any other scenario.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
D
OP Offline
D
I guess in our situation it's not quite as clear-cut as an affair. If I told him, "we can't have that family together anymore" he's at the age where he will ask "why?" but the complexities of our situation (financial issues, him getting involved with illegal activities and being addicted to risk, my frigidity) aren't easily communicated to a four year old.

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
B
B
Daisy,

I've been going through this with my daugther since she was 6. She STILL says it. However, my answers have changed as she has grown.

At 4, I recommend saying as little as possible. I would start with simply acknowledging his stated desire. A simple, "I know you do honey" along with a hug. Then start evaluating what, if anything further, he is needing at the time.

It could then be, "You know that even though we aren't together as a family, both Mommy & Daddy love you more than anything in the world. NOTHING will ever change that".

I think the mistake many of us make is thinking our kids want/need more information than what they are looking for from us.

If he needs more, then you go from there. At 4 he may ask questions, yes. He doesn't necessarily need detailed answers. Go slow. You will know what's right.

BS (me)
ExWS -Drac
DD 9
DSS 15
D Day 11/06
Divorced 10/01/07

"You Can't Fix Stupid" - My Mom
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks!

Never lie about why. You won't have to remember the reason you gave the last time, and the consistancy you show in your answer will give your kids comfort that you are telling them the truth.

Bh-me-45
xWW- 45
Married 15years, together for 20
served D papers on 6/2/09
Divorce final 12/19/2010

Custody of our 3 kids
DD 12
DS 10
DD 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,125 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation