Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Hi, I know this is lame but I'm discovering I'm socially inept and I don't know how to respond to my coworker.

He just got off the phone w/dr and the mole they removed was melanoma. He will need more skin removed (3/4" all around) and as he said it he was laughing and joking (that's my whole forehead) so I laughed too... but then the reality hit me that wow, melanoma is cancer, and a little sympathy would have been nice.

Pls tell me how you would have responded had he announced that to you. We're all kinda young and healthy, so it's not something I've had to deal with before.

Thanks,

Daisy

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
I
I
1. I think you handled it very well. He laughed about it and you just joined in. Yesterday I was having lunch with a client whose H passed away last year (cancer). She was talking about the hot summer and said "Yeah, it was a hot summer but we survived. Or at least one of us did." I just chuckled with her and quickly changed the subject!

2. I see your email address has "divorce" in it. I don't know your story, but I surely hope that you do not define yourself by using something so terrible as divorce.

3. Have a great weekend.

T
T
Did he say what kind of melanoma? My dad has these removed and biopsied every few years, but he has never had the "bad" kind that could be terminal.

If I am laughing and joking over something that seems serious, I would usually prefer that others laugh too. I think you did fine.

T
T
Amazing how tough it is to always find "the right words," isn't it? As for him "laughing," I'll bet that was his own little way of "dealing" with such news. You know, to kind of make himself feel a little better in a round-about-way.

As for myself, if faced with such a circumstance and being unsure of what to say, I usually just come straight out and tell the truth...."I'm sorry, I honestly don't even know what to say!" Of course, I say it with complete sincerity and heart, not with a "I don't feel like hearing it" attitude. Don't know how well this works for others or in other scenarios but, well, let's just say that I read this "idea" in a Dear Abby article many years ago and it is still stuck with me today, lol.

Oh, and I "am" very sorry to hear about your co-worker; sure do hope everything turns out a-okay for him, what a frightening experience. (I lost one of my sisters to cancer just a few short months ago so I know all about "how it feels" to walk in those shoes. Ugh!).

Married DH May 5, 1990
DH45 - ME43 - DD18 - DD15

Thanx to MB my M is now back on track and better than ever. MB ROCKS!!!

Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.

Erica Jong
1942-, American Author
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the responses- I feel better now, and will certainly remember to respond as the other person responds (if they laugh, I laugh, etc).

@ImStaying no, I don�t define myself by the divorce, but this was just a special email I set up for this board b/c I didn�t want to give out my personal email.

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ian T, SadNewYorker, 1 invisible), 1,073 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation