Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2374794 05/17/10 11:16 AM
S
SteveVe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
A year and a half ago my wife had an emotional affair.

After a year of a lot of mutual personal growth, I thought we we were out of the woods.

In the last 2 months my wife has started an affair again with [what I believe is a fantasy] of the dream of the perfect relationship [I believe with her personal coach--I trust him 100%]. She has told others than when she thinks of me as a man, she feels sad. She has told others she knows she is chasing a fantasy, but that is what her instinct is telling her to do: to leave so she can chose love, newness, and fun. She has also said that she know it would probably not work long term, but it might be worth it for one year of bliss.

I am a fantastic husband in all respects...my fault might have been doing too much and being too serious. I am very sad of being in the situation of feeling that I constantly have to prove myself.

However, I am tired and she is looking less and less attractive to me--now I am starting to think of divorce. I want to not be the consolation prize. I am very scared of each of us finding more and more wrong with each other. I thought it would go away on its own, but I feel it poisoning the well more and more every day.

How do I stop the merry go round? Any advice for someone that is pretty naive?

H
H
Well, have you tried any counseling?

M
M
Originally Posted by SteveVe
In the last 2 months my wife has started an affair again with [what I believe is a fantasy] of the dream of the perfect relationship [I believe with her personal coach--I trust him 100%].

Steve, I don't understand what this means. Is she having an affair and with whom? Is he married?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
A year and a half ago my wife had an emotional affair.

After a year of a lot of mutual personal growth, I thought we we were out of the woods.

In the last 2 months my wife has started an affair again with [what I believe is a fantasy] of the dream of the perfect relationship [I believe with her personal coach--I trust him 100%]. She has told others than when she thinks of me as a man, she feels sad. She has told others she knows she is chasing a fantasy, but that is what her instinct is telling her to do: to leave so she can chose love, newness, and fun. She has also said that she know it would probably not work long term, but it might be worth it for one year of bliss.

I am a fantastic husband in all respects...my fault might have been doing too much and being too serious. I am very sad of being in the situation of feeling that I constantly have to prove myself.

However, I am tired and she is looking less and less attractive to me--now I am starting to think of divorce. I want to not be the consolation prize. I am very scared of each of us finding more and more wrong with each other. I thought it would go away on its own, but I feel it poisoning the well more and more every day.

How do I stop the merry go round? Any advice for someone that is pretty naive?

SVE

Sorry you find yourself here but Welcome to Marriage Builders.

All this A stuff does wear a person down from time to time but you have hit the jackpot of support from people who know where your at.

I do not know how much reading you have done here but it really helps all of us. Also a little more about your situation would be helpful. How long Md? Your ages? Children/ages? First M and so forth.

Here is an excellant thread. By reading and posting your questions we can help you to get started with whatever direction you want to go in your M.

Thread to help newly betrayed spouses

Again welcome. I am sorry you find yourself here.

Nesre

Last edited by nesre; 05/19/10 06:47 PM. Reason: wrong thread

M 29 yrs
DS 28 DD 18
Me 53 FWH FBS
MTA signed 5/11/2011
D final 5/16/2011

Free.... and going wherever the big guy wants me to go......
S
SteveVe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks...I know my case seems very different

H 47 BS
W 46 EA with old college friend
married 17 years
3 kids (15, 14, 11)
D Day Dec 2008 e-mails

We have been going though counseling now I believe she has developed feelings for the male counselor. I have talked to the male counselor about his and I 100% trust him. I guess we are waiting for her to realize that she can only find happiness within.

My confusion is to confront her about her fantasy or let the fantasy slowly put us into a negative spiral where each of us find things wrong with each other.

Obviously she is still looking on the outside...this is the second male she has been interested in in the last year...won't there be another one around the corner? Isn't better for her to have a fantasy about someone that is [probably] safe?

M
M
We have been going though counseling now I believe she has developed feelings for the male counselor. I have talked to the male counselor about his and I 100% trust him. I guess we are waiting for her to realize that she can only find happiness within.

If she has feelings for the counselor then it is not appropriate to retain him. He knows this.

I still don't understand what is going on. CAn you be more specific?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
O
is she a stay at home mom?

S
S
It sounds to me that she is LOOKING for another man, because she is unhappy where she is at. But I am just guessing because we still need more info.

If she has feelings for another man already and its the counselor, get a female counselor. He would understand, especially if you have told him about it. But really, it sounds like your wife doesn't want to save the marriage if she is looking for another man to be with, and a counselor wont help if she is in that mind set.

N
N
Sve

From your original post

From your last post

Could you clarify this? Is it Wifes personal coach or is it someone you BOTH see together?

Nesre

M 29 yrs
DS 28 DD 18
Me 53 FWH FBS
MTA signed 5/11/2011
D final 5/16/2011

Free.... and going wherever the big guy wants me to go......
H
H
SteveVe,

I agree with what others have said about changing counselors. Even if you would go with a female counselor the problem will still be there. I just don't understand how a counselor who is there to help a couple or person has not stopped the sessions. With them being a professional you would think that they would pick-up on your wife's feeling towards them and end the counseling. Wish you the best SteveVe and don't let go.
CM

T
T
female counselor

M
M
In the last 2 months my wife has started an affair again with [what I believe is a fantasy] of the dream of the perfect relationship [I believe with her personal coach--I trust him 100%].

I still have no idea what the problem is here.

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 986 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation