Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
I first considered posting this in the Other Topics forum, but I think it carries a significant warning about choosing and listening to some "marriage counselors."

http://gothamist.com/2010/05/30/couple_sues_marriage_counselor_who.php

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
M
M
nice! And he only charges $300 a session to wreck your marriage. I guarantee any wayward would love this jerk and would use him for cover to justify the affair.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Well, you can certainly get rich by giving people what they want, and I guess this counselor figured that out!

Though I do hope this couple can sue him right out of business. Maybe he can live off of kickbacks from Ashley Madison.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
T
T
edit edit edit edit edit

Just saving the moderators the trouble smile

S
S
Maybe there is a market for him. "Open-Marriage Counselor" - that way, at least there would be truth in advertising.

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
B
B
$300 per week for 10 years=$156K!

BH (Me): 33, XWW: 33
Married 1999, No kids
EA: 11/04?-10/07, PA: 05/07
D-Day: 06/07
Divorced: 04/09
Affair is over for OP but not for WS
WW wants to move away w/o me
WW moved away w/o me
T
T
Originally Posted by lurioosi2
edit edit edit edit edit

Just saving the moderators the trouble smile
Ditto!

F
F
Originally Posted by Mulan
Though I do hope this couple can sue him right out of business.

Seriously? How about some accountability? "the counselor made me cheat" is just as bad as "my spouse wasn't paying attention to me and drove me to cheat".

Do these people have no brain? We all have the freewill to determine right from wrong. Quit blaming others.

This lawsuit is ridiculous.

M
M
FormerPF: A counselor is a figure of authority and trust. He was giving extremely destructive advice. It would be like an MD advising a patient to start drinking or start smoking. It's confusing at best and enabling at worst.

The people who saw this so-called counselor need accountability, yes, but so does this fool who told them to have an affair. He needs his license yanked pronto.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by FormerPF
The point isn't the lawsuit. The point is that there are cretins masquerading as "marriage counselors" who do more harm than good.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
F
F
FormerPF: A counselor is a figure of authority and trust. He was giving extremely destructive advice. It would be like an MD advising a patient to start drinking or start smoking. It's confusing at best and enabling at worst.

The people who saw this so-called counselor need accountability, yes, but so does this fool who told them to have an affair. He needs his license yanked pronto.

If I saw an MD and he recommended I start smoking, I think that would be the last time I saw that doctor.

I agree he is giving extremely destructive advice, but that is exactly what it is "advice".

F
F
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
The point isn't the lawsuit. The point is that there are cretins masquerading as "marriage counselors" who do more harm than good.

I don't disagree with the people doing more harm than good.

I was responding to the lawsuit portion. Which essentially says I am not accountable for what happened, the person I am suing is.

E
E
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA

Both are valid points.

How can someone counsel with someone for a decade and think that the advice to have an affair is good advice? Well, unless that's what they want to hear. I suppose there are some waywards who think that affairs are great advice. But not for building a stronger marriage.

So both are valid points. There are people who will blindly follow stupid advice and then sue because they are too stuipid to realize the advice is stupid. There are bad therapists, coaches and counselors, so one has to be careful.

Both are valid and salient points.

B
B
If a marriage counselor advises a married man to have an affair, (which he then does) do you think the betrayed wife would have some grounds for suing the marriage counselor? It doesn't seem it'd be that far off from an AOA lawsuit.

BH (Me): 33, XWW: 33
Married 1999, No kids
EA: 11/04?-10/07, PA: 05/07
D-Day: 06/07
Divorced: 04/09
Affair is over for OP but not for WS
WW wants to move away w/o me
WW moved away w/o me
M
M
Though I do hope this couple can sue him right out of business.

Seriously? How about some accountability? "the counselor made me cheat" is just as bad as "my spouse wasn't paying attention to me and drove me to cheat".

Do these people have no brain? We all have the freewill to determine right from wrong. Quit blaming others.

I can see both sides. I mean, c'mon, how stupid are some people? When my doctor tells me to do something, just who is ultimately responsible for my health? ME. The buck stops right here. When he tells me to do something, I ask him why, examine his evidence, go buy 10 books on it and research it until I am blind. Then I go back and debate with him!! [he loves it, really! grin]

We are ultimately responsible for our own choices. If we choose to be stupid we have only the man in the mirror to blame.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
We are ultimately responsible for our own choices.

How much better would humanity be if everyone understood (and lived by) that simple yrt profound statement?

Me: BH 60 - Married 21 years
ExW had an EA beginning 09/09 (Facebook)
After a few false recoveries, I filed for D 05/11
D final 03/12

'Be Mindful of Your Many Blessings and Endeavor Daily to be Worthy of Them'
Jay Severin

'Life is a gift and it offers each of us the privilege, the opportunity and the responsibility to give something back by becoming something more'
Tony Robbins

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 963 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation