Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2384824 06/03/10 06:03 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hello....I am in a fix....I have limited skills to get a decent job....have been a SAHM for 19yrs (worked a retail job in there somewhere for awhile back in 2002) but my main education was from Dorsey Business school way back in the 80's....I worked in several hospitals (finance/billing) & mental health/substance abuse program secretary....worked for a insurance company for 1yr.....so I have very little to go on.

Looking at current listings for jobs say in health care for either a receptionist/secretary or a Nurses Assistant would require me to return to school most likely....as technology is so advanced compared to how it was in the 80's and early 90's when I was working.

Cost is a huge issue.....since I have no income of my own....don't know about getting a loan...maybe? We are putting one son thru college now plus needing to get vehicles for the other 2 sons and the cost/insurance....it's all bad timing BUT if I wait the time will never happen so I must think this out smartly & make it happen.

I can't seem to figure out what I should pursue....I know some of the jobs I don't want and/or wouldn't be interested in going to school for. That's the easy part....what I am comfortable in (office work) doesn't really pay well to be honest...at least from the ads I have looked at.

So trying to make up my mind on that plus could I actually pass the classes necessary to be X? How many yrs to be X?

Dr.H said I have about 3yrs based on my youngest being 16....soon.

Anyway here are my ideas so far:

1. Pharmacy technician
2. Medical office assistant
3. Business office assistant
4. Accounting perhaps (not sure on this one)
5. Nurses assistant

None will pay very well long term....but I am not that young and need to get back to something soon....and with no degree I am stuck (Dr.H's words)

I heard Dr.H say certain personality types are not suited to say sales....I would agree....I am not suited to anything in sales.

So should I go back to a school like Dorsey and get updated in one of these careers? or maybe take some computer classes at the community college and see if I can get hired in faster?

I feel confused and unsure....I have answered ads for jobs...only got one call...they hired me on the spot if I wanted the job BUT I had to say no...turned out to be too far away plus no hours....maybe 10per week...and they wanted me to come in to cover for maybe a 1 or 2 to let the office manager go to doc appt's and with a 1hr drive each way that just isn't a good thing or being sent home early due to lack of patients! I thought WHAT kind of job is this LOL....but at least someone actually wanted to hire me.

If I could meet with the employer I am much more likely to "sell" myself as a wonderful employee...I can do that but getting in the door to meet them is the tricky part.

So any tips or thoughts? I feel silly I am in my 40's and have no idea what to do....I have ideas but unsure which is the right path for me.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by gemstone; 06/04/10 10:34 PM.
gemstone #2384835 06/03/10 06:40 PM
C
C
I would certainly look into a local school--evening classes are available, and leaves you open for full-time work meanwhile.

I don't know what area you're in, but something around here that's become all the 'rage' (lol) is supermarkets, specifically Publix is a great company to work for, and they promote from within. The stores near me pay very competitive (compared to office work, anyhow), and offer full benefits (insurance, 401ks, stock). Something to look into, anyway...and something doable while you return to school if you decide to go that route.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2384843 06/03/10 06:56 PM
R
R
I don't know if you live in the US, UK or Canada, but you don't need any sort of pharmacy education to manage a pharmacy. Just go the shortest route, like to a business degree. Companies like CVS promote from within, and rapidly if you do a good job. If you have the time to get a pharmacy degree of some king, the jobs are sure thing and the pay has really jumped in the last 15 years. Big doctors practices always need a good office manager who knows how to run everything, from the staff to the computers. Again, they want business common sense first and foremost.

Retread #2384881 06/03/10 08:03 PM
J
J
I'm not sure if you are D (it sounds like you may be D or separated) but most state community colleges have some kind of "displaced homemakers" program that helps SAHM's who now have to find work get new skills for the workplace. The Women's Center office at your local community or technical college can help you by giving you information on their programs, financial assistance, etc. (I used to teach at a community college and have had a couple of friends go through the program as well).

If you worked in medical billing at one time, it wouldn't take much for you to get into a training program to get up-to-date skills for that position.

Hope this helps-

johnstwin-

"I may not know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future." -Martin Luther

Remarried my FXH 25 years to the day of our first M. God is so good-and sometimes so unexpected!

L
L
Gem,

There is another way. You can sign up for a reputable temp agency...the do all sorts of tests on your skills and have some training available, too. Then you can temp out at the most basic position...like receptionist...and learn on the job as you go. It's a challenge...however, it's also a way for you to get a feel for a company on a longer-term temp assignment, as they get a feel for you. Many companies will pay to upgrade your skills, btw, in their benefits packages.

Even smaller companies.

You just never know. Sure can get your confidence up, over time, even with several short-term assignments...your skill of organization, locating and getting to each assignment is important in itself. You have strengths. Your brain doesn't know how they apply.

So apply them.

Also, about sales...and sales personalities. I've always disagreed with that box. When you are excited about something you like, you sell it. Period. You sell it to your relatives, friends, family...because it's a discovery and you love to share. Your passionate response is the sell...it's what ever ad agency wants to convey.

If you don't find stuff interesting, get excited with discovering what works better for you, and then tell other folks about it...doesn't mean you aren't a salesperson. Most folks who have hobbies are interested in stuff...and could sell hobby-related stuff with a passion.

Maybe the difference is getting paid for it or not, eh? Suddenly, it's sharing with an agenda? You could follow the rule of thumb and not sell anything you couldn't afford yourself. So when you advise others what to buy, you're truthful.

Most "sales" positions in stores is really service...folks who come in (like in clothing stores) knowing what they like and you're helping them to find it faster. If you're thinking of selling cars, which you can't afford to buy yourself, then don't sell it. And don't sell yourself on how you just couldn't ever be a salesperson, or in sales, or sales support.

And don't sell yourself short, either.

There...tied it together. Woot. smile

LA

C
C
Originally Posted by LovingAnyway
If you're thinking of selling cars, which you can't afford to buy yourself, then don't sell it.

LA

rotflmao

People who can afford to buy, say, a Ferrari, aren't looking for jobs selling them, LA. Chances are they already have work, with titles like "record producer" or "diamond importer" or "Jay Leno", lol.

Gem, another option that's flexible is freelancing your organizational and office skills. Look through sites like elance and others like them and see if there's anything that tickles you. Just throwing out ideas.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2385118 06/04/10 10:54 AM
L
L
CWMI,

Good to see you laughing.

Your H is a professional salesman...not someone just starting out again. He worked his way up to that line...not an off the street, hey, let's try this...must be a natural, eh?

My advice was with Gem in mind...I understand you took it as blanket statement.

Helped me to do sales when I had a mental block about it, too, similar to Gem's...that it belonged to a certain personality group.

LA

C
C
Gem, if I may be so bold, how about hitting similarminds.com and taking the (long) Jung/enneagram test? It will give you a lot of career options suited to your personality. Since you're on the three-year plan, may as well make sure the years after are fulfilling, right?

Look into scholarship opportunities in your state. Just a forward-thinking bit of advice, but I would go for an Associate's at a community college rather than a certificate from a tech school...you'll have transferable credits that way, if you decide to go for the BA/BS in the future.

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2385430 06/04/10 05:53 PM
C
C
Gem, too, you may qualify for a Stafford loan which won't have to be paid back until you graduate. I did, and my H makes good $$. I'll be 40 in a few days and I'm a college freshman.

You're in a perfect place to make good decisions...make them, and move it!

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2385550 06/04/10 08:33 PM
R
R
gem,
There are also grants in aid for which you may qualify, which do not have to be repaid. All my children received about $5,000 each year in Pell grants and other grants. Also look into scholarship money and grants for specific majors at each college. In years past, a certain degree might have been very popular, and some alumni may have set up a trust fund to provide scholarships. Today, with all kinds of new majors, there may be few students taking something like "Textile Management" or whatever, which may be a very useful degree with lots of general business courses in it - and there may be a pot of unused financial aid sitting in that trust fund.

Retread #2385607 06/04/10 10:44 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the ideas and pointers....but truly sales is not for me....I also had my real estate license and just hated it...everything about that job was so not me...also worked in jewelry sales....and I LOVE gemstones/jewelry hence my name here but I hated the high pressure sales...its simply not for me...even if I love what I am selling...I stunk at it yet my Mom worked at the same place and was top sales dog! I didn't get her sales edge...but she is only good at jewelry sales as we both LOVE it LOL!

I have alot to research and I will contact temp agnecy next week to get going there....I'll do that online similarminds one also....any other ideas or websites that could help let me know!

gemstone #2385685 06/05/10 07:25 AM
R
R
gemstone,
I am a big believer in trying to work at what you enjoy, where your passion lies. Since you like jewelry, there are many ways to make money other than high-pressure retail sales.

My daughter loves jewelry, always has. She used to save her allowance and go to garage sales on her bicycle, buying pocketbooks and vintage "old lady" jewelry. She is out of college and working like a dog for $10.00 an hour in a print shop. She did her income tax form, and found she had made 1/4 as much money just piddling with selling her excess jewelry and pocketbooks online. That is what she should be doing. Or maybe she should work at a high end jewelry store and see if she does like it.

I know two women who design and make jewelry and sell it at shows. They now have a website, selling theirs and other small craftsmen's work. They long ago quit their "real jobs".

Retread #2386046 06/06/10 10:08 AM
N
N
Gem, I'm a computer programmer, and love a lot about it. It's 9-5, so I can reliably "be there" for my kids in the evenings and weekends. The work is interesting and constantly changing. Here's an article that talks about it

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2009/01/26/best-paying-careers-for-women/

Do you love kids? I've known women who run in-home day care and make a great money with it. The training is pretty minimal. I am wondering if the SBA would help you with start-up costs. Or if you got work as a nanny, you could study for something else in the day when you're with the baby.

Have you been to your local unemployment office? Like others have said, there may be great government-paid retraining opportunities in your area.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
M
M
Gemstone, I have been working at home doing medical transcription for several years now. You will need to take a training class first - no one will hire with no experience, but I took a home-study course and that did it.

Chect mtjobs.com for schools and jobs which are not scams. I now work for Transcend Services, which will be listed there.

good luck!

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
Retread #2386341 06/07/10 10:03 AM
S
S
Hi gem!
I'm sorta in the same boat and will be looking for work in the fall after 15 years. (Well 3 of those years I was in training and worked for 2.5 years from home doing medical transcription) I found that working from home was not a good fit for us as a family and not having contact with the public wasn't my cup of tea.

Anyhoo - I did an online course with Andrews School, www.andrewsschool.com, headed by Linda Andrews. Cost me near $4,000, but very reasonable noninterest payments over 2 years with half down. Maybe you could get a small loan for the down payment.

They teach either MT or coding. You can get the MT course done in as little as 9 months. I needed an extension.

First, though, I would check out the websites for the hospitals in your area and see if they don't already have positions available that you would be qualified for. Might be worth it to apply when you're ready before you invest money when it might not be necessary.

Maybe over the summer you could take excel, powerpoint, and word courses, maybe a medical terminology course to give you more confidence. Might not need any of that to get your foot in. Lots of those courses you can teach yourself using the tutorials built in.

Last edited by Soolee; 06/07/10 10:06 AM.

Sooly

"Stop yappin and make it happen."
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Me 47
DH 46
Together for 28 years.
Married 21 years.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation