Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SidneyT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So I have been periodically looking on a forum that is focused on Midlife Crisis. Their m.o. is that men and women go through the midlife crisis, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

They recommend that spouses of the MLCer sit back, detach and basically do nothing while they wait to see if the person 'snaps out of it' or not (which often takes years). They believe that, while affairs are usually part of MLC, it is a waste of time to focus on anything concerning the affair.

It became very painful for me to see new people post about their stories when an affair was obvious, only to be advised to 'sit back and detach'. Leave him alone. Do nothing.

Well I, being the huge MB believer that I am, decided to suggest to some of these posters that they check out MB and read up about steps they can take to save their marriage. Then I had the audacity to start a post suggesting they could actually have a shot at saving their marriages by following MB principles.

I was absolutely stunned by the hateful and angry responses I got back about this. We're talking post after post of people saying how I must be getting $$$ from MB, how could I give people false hope like that?, how cruel it was to suggest that something could work when nothing does, etc. etc.

I am still flabbergasted at the responses. Why were they so threatened by my suggesting something that could actually help save their marriages???

Needless to say, I no longer post there. And, needless to say, the many people that do post there are instructed to sit back, ignore the affair and do nothing while they watch their marriages disintegrate.

M
M
Many affairs that show up here where the adulterer is between 30 and 60 are referred to as "mid life crisis." This is a classic excuse used by waywards and their conflict avoider spouses. Conflict avoiders use it as an excuse to do nothing and waywards use it as an excuse to to cheat.

It is cute and trendy to parrot "mid life crisis" but it is a meaningless term and a distraction to saving one's marriage. The time for cutesy bumper stickers is after the marriage has been saved.

The simple truth is that there is NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ADULTEROUS BEHAVIOR OF A 25 YEAR OLD AND A 40 YEAR OLD OR A 60 YEAR OLD. NONE. Nor is there any difference in the rate of recovery or the methods used to recover. So, I cannot even fathom why the affairs of 40 year olds are called "MLC" and treated differently. That is irrational behavior.

I don't care if you call it a "mid life crisis" or a baloney sandwich, it is all the same. ALL THE SAME.

Originally Posted by Dr Willard Harley
I don't usually put much emphasis on MLC because it tends to be a distraction when trying to solve a marital problem in the most efficient and effective way possible. For example, if a man has an affair, some might argue that it's due to a mid-life crisis which should be treated first. The therapeutic plan would then dictate that he resolve the issue creating the crisis (he's unhappy about the way his life is turning out) and then address the affair itself. Since those having affairs usually want to delay ending them, they like the idea of extended therapy. But the time it takes to complete therapy for midlife crisis usually results in a wife and children long gone.

Granted, when a man has come to my office deeply depressed, wondering if his life's worth living, even I have used the term, mid-life crisis, to help describe what he's going through. Sometimes, in an effort to rise above his depressive state, he uses alcohol and drugs, and very rarely, infidelity, to treat his depression, which invariably makes him even more depressed.

The problem of mid-life crisis, and the resulting deep depression, is almost always due to a man's career. But if he's using drugs, alcohol, or having an affair as a way to treat his depression, my first order of business is to rid him of these self-destructive measures, and then to treat the mid-life crisis. His short-sighted solutions are far more damaging to him than the problem itself.

Why isn't the issue of mid-life crisis mentioned more in my articles? Because it's a very rare cause of infidelity, but a very common excuse to avoid prompt action to end an affair.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
No discussion here. ML has clearly stated the obvious - at least to the rest of us.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Originally Posted by SidneyT
I am still flabbergasted at the responses. Why were they so threatened by my suggesting something that could actually help save their marriages???

Because the goal is not to save their marriage, but to avoid conflict. Some people like living like that because they are addicted to the sympathy they garner.

When you suggest solutions to such people they get offended. We have some on this website who have been here for years in the same situation. They don't want help and they resent any suggestions. They are perpetual victims.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"Why isn't the issue of mid-life crisis mentioned more in my articles? Because it's a very rare cause of infidelity, but a very common excuse to avoid prompt action to end an affair."

Exposure 101

T
T
I think the MLC is popular for a few reasons:

1. It's a great "I can't help it" pile of crap that cheaters can use to get pity for their amoral behavior

2. We love anything that resembles psychobabble because it makes us feel hip and smart

3. It is unfathomable (according to my BH) to recognize that the one you love above all others could voluntarily choose to do such a thing, so it is less painful to think that they can't help it (He did this a little at first with my bipolar)

In reality, MLC is just one more justification we humans came up with for being irresponsible and selfish. There is some truth to the idea that around the 40's people tend to "re-evaluate" their lives. So what? Make some goals, lose some weight, go back to school, volunteer. There is nothing in our makeup that requires us to act like idiots.

Sorry, about the rant, but I just read this long garbage-filled post on a Christian forum about how the person who has been cheated on needs to take responsibility when they CAUSE their spouse to cheat. I thought my head would come off. I baited him, and then kind of blew his argument out of the water when I told him that I had been the cheater, and it was MY fault I cheated. I hope I don't get another TOS violation email.

M
M
I place "mid life crisis" in the same bucket as other inanities like "closure," "soul mate" and "co-dependency." They are all meaningless bumper stickers used to justify idiocy. As BobPure would say, it is psychobabble disguised as wisdom.

Exposure 101

P
P
Here's my psychobabble - MLC is a politically correct way to describe a spouse who needs to do a self Cranial Rectal Extraction.

Me BH 49 WXW 50
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009
P
P
I feel the same way about " low self esteem" as a "reason" for adultery.

I call bull chit puke

L
L
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Because the goal is not to save their marriage, but to avoid conflict. Some people like living like that because they are addicted to the sympathy they garner.

When you suggest solutions to such people they get offended. We have some on this website who have been here for years in the same situation. They don't want help and they resent any suggestions. They are perpetual victims.

They're not victims, they're volunteers

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
S
S
I hadn't seen my little sister for a few weeks last fall. After giving her a big hug, I commented on how she had lost weight. She started crying and explained she believed her H was in an MLC.

She had actually found, I think, the site that you are talking about...and was actually letting her foggy H be emotionally abusive to her because that very website told her to give him space and that he would most likely have an A while in MLC, etc, etc. What hogwash!

It was difficult for me to convince her that it was probably the other way around, but luckily, I was able to get her onto this site... I can only imagine what would have happened if she stuck with that site. *shudder*

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
SidneyT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
OK, thank you all for the touch back to reality after having been berated by the outraged 'pod people' on that forum. It almost seemed cult-like, where they were all brainwashed to be helpless in the face of the almighty MLC!

Glad to see the info. by Dr. Harley actually referencing the MLC, I hadn't seen that before. If I thought it would make a lick of difference I might consider posting some of that info. there...but I seriously doubt it would and I just cannot bring myself to go there anymore.

Originally Posted by SusieQ
but luckily, I was able to get her onto this site... I can only imagine what would have happened if she stuck with that site. *shudder*

It truly is heartbreaking seeing all of the people on that forum (and I'm sure other places) who are basically throwing their marriages away without even trying.

It's like learning you have cancer and deciding to sit back, wait it out and hope for the best....while refusing to try the proven and successful treatment that's right at your fingertips.

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
I feel the same way about " low self esteem" as a "reason" for adultery.

I call bull chit puke

Low self esteem...

How much esteem do you need?

How much esteem you got?

Oh, I've got plenty. I was just wondering why yours seems to be so low.

The raddiator cracked and all my esteem shes all ah leaked out. (Not misspelled, you say it RATTY8TER)

Maybe you could fix it?

Fix what, my esteem?

No, the radiator.

Will that help my esteem.

Probably not, but at least you'll be able to say you fixed it yourself.

Oh, SELF esteem...

I thought you was talkin' 'bout esteem in the raddiator.

(Think Groucho and Chico in Day At The Races)

R
R
once upon a time - I got wasted on a specific site while I was attempting to assist someone needing to get a plan of action in order to combat a spouse in an affair. (run on sentence??) Recommended MB site, call line and plans - you would have thought I was satan.

MLC may be real - still have some thoughts about that subject. There does seem to be a high number of WW in the 35-50 age range. But the data is anecdotal (sp?) and I'm no expert.

Either way adultery has no excuse and there are plans that need to be worked if there is a chance of overcoming the assault. One specific forum is BH specific and basically no plan - even exposure is looked down upon. Very frustrating to read since you know the outcome - success is rare but with no plan - it is zero.

In addition - just working some kind of plan to recover from adultery is beneficial if not therapeutic for the BH. Even if the marriage cannot be recovered - the betrayed is the ultimate winner. In other forums there is much bitterness, angst and hopelessness.

It might be time to pipe in there again. Some of the BH have no idea this site exists.

Last edited by rwinger; 06/09/10 01:39 AM.

Me:52
W: 52
Married: 32 yrs
2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
1 GDtr (2.5) precious little girl
G
G
Originally Posted by Mark1952
Fix what, my esteem?

No, the radiator.
May I suggest a 4-row "Heatbuster" by Ready-Rad.
It's an all Brass constructed Radiator with brass brazed on tanks, no clamped on plastic tanks like other brands.

It is a frugal alternative to the more expensive "Boutique" radiators from Griffin or Fluidyne and can be found at most chain parts stores.

And it should hold plenty of your.... Esteem rotflmao

I was absolutely stunned by the hateful and angry responses I got back about this. We're talking post after post of people saying how I must be getting $$$ from MB, how could I give people false hope like that?, how cruel it was to suggest that something could work when nothing does, etc. etc.
Because you went against the grain.

See, just like MB they have committed them selfs to a plan. In order to devote yourself to a plan you must "Believe" in that plan, you told them there beliefs where false.

To be able to justify sticking your head in the sand and hiding from an affair you must vehemently believe that "Nothing" could possibly ever work to stop it, except waiting it out.

When you go against someones vehement blind faith in something, that person typically lashes out at you.

I don't suppose you could name the site could you?
I would love to browse it.

Last edited by Gack1; 06/09/10 09:44 AM.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
M
M
When my H had his A it sure looked like he was in a MLC...more tats, re-pierced his ears, bought a Harley and had an A. We should have put a sign in our yard that said "Poster Boy for MLC lives here".

But I don't know what that had to do with not following these plans . MB worked perfectly for his A, whether or not it was due to a MLC.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
G
G
Originally Posted by MarriedForever
When my H had his A it sure looked like he was in a MLC
Which came first, contact with OW, or the other behaviors?

Me 34
WW 30
M
M
Originally Posted by Gack1
When my H had his A it sure looked like he was in a MLC
Which came first, contact with OW, or the other behaviors?

You know, that's a good question...they happened fairly simultaneously but in my heart I believe it was C with the OW...she seemed to be extremely immature and encouraged dumb things like more tats and pierced ears ~ I mean, those were all fun and cool when we were young but once you are married, in your late 30's and have 4 kids...come on. You only look foolish.

Of course the tats are permanent but the earrings are gone, even DH knows that was ridiculous. And the Harley is actually our favorite UA/RC time together so I'm happy about that.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

G
G
You know, that's a good question...they happened fairly simultaneously but in my heart I believe it was C with the OW...
Thats what I thought.

Contact with OW and your husbands initial attraction to her (Even if he did not recognize it) triggered a change in personality.

His "MLC" is a misdiagnosis of the symptoms of his affair.

Last edited by Gack1; 06/09/10 11:01 AM.

Me 34
WW 30
M
M
Originally Posted by Gack1
You know, that's a good question...they happened fairly simultaneously but in my heart I believe it was C with the OW...
Thats what I thought.

Contact with OW and your husbands initial attraction to her (Even if he did not recognize it) triggered a change in personality.

His "MLC" is a misdiagnosis of the symptoms of his affair.

I actually think they fed off of each other...the MLC and the A.

I don't think it was an "attraction to her"...I think she encouraged immature behavior and then stroked his ego when he did these things. I think it was noodle who compared it to a dog digging in the trash for a cheeseburger. Waywards will do incredibly stupid things to get that ego stroking.

It was embarrassing, but it wasn't really "him"...he is nothing like that normally. The funny thing is that he was incredibly unhappy while doing those things. I've really never seen him happier than he is NOW.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 790 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation