Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38
G
G
Originally Posted by Gdar
Thank you, Gem! I am happy for you and that you no longer have these situations in your life!

Hi resentment towards me for not liking his friend is pretty intense. He will tell me that he thinks I am not liking him ON PURPOSE just to have control over what he does. What a crock of crap! When the guy got married and then got a DUI, they would count down the clock for an entire year for when he could legally drink again. Really? That was not a wake up call AT ALL - now the guy just has a wife to drive his drunk a$$ around! I have no idea how this woman can not be totally miserable. I understand why she likes my H so much, because my H is 10 times easier than hers, if you can believe that! She ENJOYS it when my H comes over, because then at least she doesnt have to wake up their 2 yr old from sleep to go pick up her loser H at a bar. Well, actually, they moved within walking distance of a bar, so I suppose that sure helped (insert eye roll). Blech!

Again, I still have no idea how I am going to make these changes. My H is going to put the brakes on full speed if he feels I am trying to control him.

Gdar what does this other wife look like? With your H going over their home drinking.....I bet she has her eye on him....you better watch this also...unless shes seriously ugly or old and I mean seriously deformed or something...this is very very bad in my mind.

C
C
Stop worry about if he will feel like you're controlling him, and step up and take control of YOUR LIFE!

Stop it!

Your H made out with your friend in your home, and now you're supposed to be okay with him drinking away from home, too? No effing way.

No. Way.

STOP IT!

Girl, grow some grrl balls!

So that's two affairs exposed here, how many more are there?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
V
V
Can I live my life like this? Pfffffffffffffshhshshss, bah. I guess so. I do not want to be divorced again.

My first instinctual response to this is... if that's the case, then buckle in for the long haul and quit complaining about it. There is no magic phrase or word you can say, now way you can reason, cajole, or compel him to be the kind of husband you want him to be. YOU CANNOT CONTROL HIM. Nothing you SAY will change him because of this right here, the action you are willing to take: you're willing to put up with it to avoid being divorced again.

He knows this. So he will do the bare minimum, because he knows you wont leave. He will continue to neglect, ignore and demean you because he can, it's easy and you don't matter. I bet he will cheat on you again, trusting that he'll be able to hide it and you'll never know.

This is NOT healthy G. Do you want your children to wind up in relationships like your own? If you have daughters, do you want their husbands to treat them like this? You said you felt sick when your mother compared your husband to your father, don't you see the truth of her assessment? He IS that man you don't like who fathered you. You are teaching your daughter that this is OK. So when she goes to find her future husband when he treats her like this, she will think that's how it's supposed to be. She will live the same pain you live every day. THAT is what you are teaching her.

You are focusing on little stuff when the real problem is you have a wayward, entitled husband. One EA, Making out with a friend, it WILL escalate.

Change can only come from within him. You clean up your side of the street, get rid of LBs and be the best wife you can, in order for your marriage to work HE will have to get on board at some point... or you'll just limp along forever like you have been. He won't do that. He doesn't have to. You'll never divorce him because you don't want to be divorced again.

You do have boundaries, your bar is just set so abysmally low... and he's meeting it...

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
C
C
Originally Posted by gemstone
Gdar what does this other wife look like? With your H going over their home drinking.....I bet she has her eye on him....you better watch this also...unless shes seriously ugly or old and I mean seriously deformed or something...this is very very bad in my mind.

What she looks like is gorgeous when she's got her legs open and he's wearing beer goggles.

NO WAY. EVER.

Stop this, G. He has no boundaries at all.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
She is plain, very overweight and freckled. SUPER nice woman, whom I like. I am NOT worried. His friend would slice him in two if anything like that was to EVER happen. His friend was a 36 yr old virgin when he met her and they married 6 months later.

Also, he invites me most of the time he goes over there, so he can feel better that "at least he tried to include me", but I said no. He KNOWS I do not like going over there, at all.

BS: 37
FWH: 37
EA: 2 months, ending June 08
Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by faithful follower
Gdar,

I have not read but the last couple pages of your thread but boy does a lot of what you wrote sound familiar. Your H is very immature in his thinking. He is a married man with children. He is an adult with responsibilites including a job he signed on for. His choice of friends speaks volumes about the way he thinks. He is on the fence about being an adult. My H spent most of our marriage being like that. I was that "single" mom while my H went out and I stayed home. Boy did I come to resent that.

What I read from your emails/conversations with him is he is used to using blameshifting, gaslighting, your fear of him leaving, and guilt to control you and keep you in your place. You need to take this power away from him.

One more thing, gdar. Boundaries are for you not him. If *you* set a boundary then it is up to *you* to enforce it. IOW, if you say you don't want him to go to strip clubs and then he does...you need to know ahead of time what the consequence will be. It could be you pack his bags and he has to leave. It could be that you ask him to move our of your bedroom for a week. Whatever works for you, you need to decide ahead of time what behavior is unacceptable and what the consequence will be and then follow through. If you don't follow through you lose your credibility.

Remember this...we can only control ourselves and our own behavior but we do not have to tolerate someone disrespecting us.

Thank you very much for giving me a tangible example. I was looking for that. I can do that! Yes, I can do that!

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
That is all I know about. I have one other situation that sticks out in my mind, but he would never, ever cop up to it anyway.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
V
V
She is plain, very overweight and freckled. SUPER nice woman, whom I like. I am NOT worried. His friend would slice him in two if anything like that was to EVER happen. His friend was a 36 yr old virgin when he met her and they married 6 months later.

Also, he invites me most of the time he goes over there, so he can feel better that "at least he tried to include me", but I said no. He KNOWS I do not like going over there, at all.

She could be a dang GOAT (and that's not a metaphor) if she meets his ENs he WILL have an affair. Why? Because he has no boundaries, and neither do you.

Overnights MUST STOP. The drinking MUST STOP.

Or your marriage will never recover.

I know you say another incident of cheating is your deal breaker, but he's already done it TWICE with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. He doesn't believe it's a deal breaker for you. He's going to call your bluff one day.

Last edited by Vibrissa; 06/09/10 05:07 PM.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
G
G
Oh, and he blames me because upon my acting like a complete insecure freak when I found out about the EA, I told him about a sex dream I had that involved another girl. He LOVED this, and we brought the idea of a 3some into our bed during SF. It was fun, it felt harmless, we knew we would know actually DO this, though he enjoyed it when I talked to my friend about it (the one I had the dream about - she lives in NY).

So, even though he was remorseful about his actions and he went into a deep funk for a couple of months following this incident (and quit drinking cold turkey and even got an AA sponsor), he still did say to me that I was the one that brought this "idea" about, so I was not blameless for what HE did. Yeah.

I had a BIG talk with my friend he kissed. She thought that he was trying to get something going between the 3 of us, and that excited her. She had recently had gastric bypass surgery and lost a TON of weight. She had never been thin, and being 32 was just coming into herself sexually because men never wanted her before. She is moving away, so we won't be seeing her again.

Your frightening me even more here....I don't understand HOW his having a EA would make you feel open to even discussing a 3some in fun or in jest?? I think this would send a very confusing signal to your H....like maybe your open to this as your dreaming of it and telling him this....I am not saying this justifies his actions to kiss this so called friend of yours....but opening pandora's box is never a good idea....it's crowded enough in marriages with just 2 people let alone 3.....you aren't to blame but you must send a consistent message on all of this....your H will run with whatever he thinks he can right now IMO.

G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Vibrissa
[quote]
Change can only come from within him. You clean up your side of the street, get rid of LBs and be the best wife you can, in order for your marriage to work HE will have to get on board at some point... or you'll just limp along forever like you have been. He won't do that. He doesn't have to. You'll never divorce him because you don't want to be divorced again.

I could use some direction with this. If he is telling me his needs are met, and HE is happy, and I am doing things he likes and the way he likes it, then HOW ELSE can I be the best wife I can be? I Plan A'd him after the EA, we have done the HNHR questionnaires a few times, he claims I meet his needs. But the moment I say I have a concern about what he want to do or what he is planning, he gets defensive and resentful and blames me for trying to control him. I need to break this cycle, but I do not.know.how.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
She leaves them to their "man time". Her H would not have it any other way. They retreat to the garage and she stays inside with the kid. Her H is the king of IBs and he lays down the law and she follows. There are no needs of my H's that she is meeting.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
V
V
Boundaries

Post on Boundaries - From Pepperband's notable posts thread

Originally Posted by Pep's Notable Posts
A boundary is not defined as "something I don't like."

A boundary is defined as "something I will defend no matter what."

A very common question is, "How do I enforce a boundary? How do I make my spouse stop lying, how do I make my spouse stop dating OP, how do I make my spouse start taking care of our family instead of someone else's?"

The answer is: You don't.

Trying to "make" people do the things listed above is not enforcing a boundary. It's control, it's manipulation, it's laying down demands, etc. etc. etc.

And none of it works.

The answer to the question, "How Do I Enforce A Boundary?" is virtually always the same:

You remove yourself from the situation. You stop allowing the boundary trespasser to have any access to you at all.

This is what's meant by, "You can't control others. You can only control yourself."

You can't "make" your spouse stop lying to you - but you can remove yourself from their presence and no longer allow them around you until they do.

You can't "make" your spouse stop dating OP - - but you can remove yourself from their presence and no longer allow them around you until they do.

You can't "make" your spouse take care of your family instead of someone else's - but you can remove yourself from their presence and no longer allow them around you until they do.

Get the idea now?

Boundaries are for *you*. They are to protect you from people who would do you harm. They are NOT about "making" others do anything. They are about protecting *YOU*.

Castle walls don't make the invaders stop their cruel and destructive attitudes - but they do protect you from their intrusion.

Boundaries are castle walls.

And as far as anger goes, you will find that good boundaries will make much of it go away. Good boundaries really do make RAGE dissipate, because anger + fear = rage. Good boundaries keep you safe, and when you are safe, fear goes away. You will certainly have some righteous anger left, sure, but the RAGE will fade away because there is no longer the fear hanging around to fuel it.

Make sense?

ETA: Here's another post I read from LovingAnyway that describes Enforcing Boundries.

Originally Posted by LovingAnyway
You make a plan to enforce your boundaries, NL...and you stick with it. Doesn't stop him...stops you staying present for his verbal abuse.

And smirks aren't, btw. You need to stop your own DJs, too, in order for you to do boundary enforcements.

First, you look to your code...which has respect in it. (Let me know if it doesn't.) So your boundary is that you will not act from disrespect. If you do, then you will own what you said/did, why you said/did, and how and why you won't do it again.

Same for enforcing DJs from your H. You state what the DJ was...and that you don't do those anymore. If he continues, you state that he's continuing and that you need to remove yourself from the conversation for 20 minutes while you settle your reactive feelings (which you know you have). Then you'll return to continue.

If he continues, you remove yourself for two hours (take the kids if necessary), making sure you state what you're doing, why you're doing it and when you'll return.

When you return when you said you would, and he continues, then you remove for overnight. If it's name calling/yelling, your choice can also include calling the police on domestic violence. Just state the boundary enforcement from the beginning when you explain how you've disrespected him by staying present for verbal abuse and that you won't anymore.

And you won't do it, either.

That you commit to not distancing your heart, spirit or mind from the marriage...and that removing your presence was the way you were dishonoring the marriage, your part. And that's why you were getting down so much...not only that he wouldn't stop, that you wouldn't either...you wouldn't take your part, your power, to remove.

When you choose to act from respect because it's in YOUR code, then you will enforce your boundary. If you believe he can make you treat him disrespectfully, then you're not in your power...cannot do what is solely your responsibility to do...and makes him the bad guy, the monster, the one to fear and withdraw from...rather than focus on you and what you're up to when you are not enforcing your boundaries as part of your goal for a healthy, thriving marriage.

We are in part responsible for our own love banks, too...because we can make a lot of withdrawals and believe our spouse alone did it...we do it with our own DJs, our own justifications and we do not protect it. Feelings follow actions. When we act from love and respect, those are the feelings that will follow.

It's amazing how much loss of loving feelings we have when we focus on getting another person to stop hurting us...when by staying present for the hurt, we are doing grievous harm ourselves.

LA

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by gemstone
Your frightening me even more here....I don't understand HOW his having a EA would make you feel open to even discussing a 3some in fun or in jest?? I think this would send a very confusing signal to your H....like maybe your open to this as your dreaming of it and telling him this....I am not saying this justifies his actions to kiss this so called friend of yours....but opening pandora's box is never a good idea....it's crowded enough in marriages with just 2 people let alone 3.....you aren't to blame but you must send a consistent message on all of this....your H will run with whatever he thinks he can right now IMO.

Oh, I agree. I felt that since he had an EA, that I needed to overcompensate and make things exciting. I do not dream about things like that, or at least I didnt, and I woke up thinking "wow" and told him about it. When I saw how excited it made him, I felt I was onto something and allowed the fantasy to be part of our SFs. I thought it would help in the SF department, his biggest need at the time. I realize now what a HUGE mistake this was on my part.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am reading that as, I need to be away from my H to enforce a boundary. I want MORE time with him, not LESS. Ugh. This is all.so.hard and confusing!!!

If he goes on this overnight to see his friend next weekend, am I just supposed to not be here when he gets back? Pack up my 4 kids and do what, exactly? Get a hotel? For a day? A week?

I feel like this is going to make me go crazy!

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
V
V
Gdar - it seems like you're doing the best you can. You're nearly in Plan A. You know that Plan A is unsustainable for a long period of time right? What I meant by my statement is you can do that as much as you want, but at some point your husband HAS to get on board. You become the best wife you can because it is the right thing to do. However, you cannot put up with his neglect and abuse indefinitely or you will go insane. You cannot be the perfect wife against his abuse for long. You do the best you can, if he refuses to accompany you there, for your own health and sanity you MUST disengage.

You see how he manipulates you? You ARE doing pretty good (I think you have some LBs you need to work out - get the book and seriously work on it hardcore). But when responsibility begins to weigh on him the turns it in to your fault.

Going out with the guys - when your marriage is falling apart.... sorry you don't get to do that when you're married.

Kissing your wife's friend and suggesting a threesome .... sorry you don't get to do that when your married.

Emotional relationship with a woman not your wife .... sorry you don't get to do that when you're married.

Somehow he's managed to turn all these things and everything is your fault.

How do you break the cycle? By standing up for yourself and your marriage. You set your standards for your marriage sky high and you if he doesn't reach the bar, you let him know you will settle for no less, and you back that up with ACTION.

I agree with CWMI - you got to lose the marriage at all costs attitude, or you gotta accept that this is how it is, and settle for it, no more complaining... one or the other.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks, Vib. I know you are busy and I appreciate all of your input SO much.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
C
C
If he is telling me his needs are met, and HE is happy, and I am doing things he likes and the way he likes it, then HOW ELSE can I be the best wife I can be?

By encouraging him to be the best godly husband he can be. And not settling for less from him. That's how.

You are worthless as a wife if you muzzle yourself out of fear. There's a great post from way back about the roles of husbands and wives, taken from the bible, so I hope that's okay for you. Here: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2176651&page=1

(Oscar Wilde)
V
V
You don't pack up and leave with the kids- you just change the locks and set him an over night bag on the front porch. Tell him he can come back when he feels like acting like a married man.

When he comes back, lay out your boundaries for what it will take for you to stay in this marriage. Set the bar high.

Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
HIYA!
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Also, if I try and bring up examples of my trust issues and why I have them, he says that I am digging up the past and using to make my points NOW. I have read here to let the past go, but the past is what has formed our PRESENT.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
We are not at all religious, but thank you. This is the link that ChrisNova just brought back from the dead with its disparities, I believe.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation