Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
S
Originally Posted by jayne241
Well, there are ppl who are in the fight of their lives here on SAA, trying to save their M's from infidelity, and this thread has turned into laughing at people in a similar situation.
Who is laughing at people in a similar situation? Who is laughing at the affair?

People posting on this thread are also posting to those people who are in a fight for their lives here on SAA! Have you seen the work that people put in here? .

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Originally Posted by KiwiJ
We have been married for almost 36 years. We learned to cherish our marriage. Most people don't learn this. Do you really think we are the same people we were at just turned 20 (me) and 25 (my H). Our MC told us that ALL marriages need to be nurtured and people just don't do it. Our lack of nurturing led to my A. It could have led to us living parallel lives without connecting.

We have learned to laugh together, to spend time together, to have each others backs. It's us against the world and that is how it should be. If you can't do this you have no business being married.

Unless you have been married for a very,very long time you really have no business commenting on this.

It makes me very sad that this couple thought their only recourse was to divorce.
I don't understand why unless you have been married for a very, very long time you really have no business commenting on this.

I haven't been married for a very very long time. Have I no business talking about this affair?

I think it appalling that Al Gore did this. I feel empathy for the BW. I feel sorry that she will have to change her life at this late stage. I feel sad for their adult children and grandchildren. (I'm assuming that they had some.)

I have been a BW, but even if I hadn't; why have I no business saying the above? Why is being married for a very very long time a requirement for talking about this affair - as we talk about many affairs in marriages different from our own, here on MB?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
You know, something that's just intensely cool to me is that Marriage Builders can make a marriage work even for people who are on the wrong political side, the one I don't believe in.

In fact, it can even make a marriage work for people on the other wrong political side, the other one I don't believe in.

In fact, it can even make a marriage work for people who are on different political sides!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I'm sad to see almost any marriage break up, and much more sad to see adultery be the cause.

I actually think it's to be expected that any of us would tend to be just a little bit more sad to see it happen to one of our political heroes, and be just a little bit more defensive about them and sensitive. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. But others are not going to slant the same way, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
No one is laughing at an affair, they are laughing at KiwiJen's comments chastising people for commenting on this issue. ["Unless you have been married for a very,very long time you really have no business commenting on this."] And then her insistence that there was not an affair.

Sorry Jen, but you set yourself up for ridicule when you make statements like that. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
O
EDIT

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 06/16/10 08:16 AM. Reason: TOS - snide
T
T
I cede the moral high ground to every one of you who has never laughed at something in a situation that someone else didn't think was funny. I could never hope to join you, Al and Tipper notwithstanding. I snorted out loud at my mother's graveside service (that would be both before and after I cried) when the preacher made a very funny mistake. No one else laughed, so I was inappropriate all alone. I have laughed in church--during the serious parts, too--when met by unexpected humor. When I told my own life story on this board, I laughed at myself so much that Pep cybersmacked my cyberknuckles so hard they were cyberbruised for weeks. So I think it would be folly for me to aspire to live in the lofty heights where others appear to reside.

So, I take it back. This conversation, about Al and Tipper, is no kinder (to the conversing parties) than the one had some months back about John Edwards, his wife, and his mistress. Same blows, different stick.

tl

O
O
EDIT

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 06/16/10 08:30 AM. Reason: TOS disruptive and baiting
S
S
Originally Posted by jayne241
I'm also surprised that staunch MBers think it's funny that a 40-year marriage has been destroyed by infidelity.
I'm surprised that you see people laughing at the affair here. I think people are disgusted with Gore for his affair, and are expressing that with sarcasm.

First, there was no mention of the affair. We, who have advised so many people here on this matter, knew that a separation like this usually takes place because of infidelity; not because of incompatibility after 40 years. We expected to hear the WS say that he "needed space" or that he loved his wife but was no longer in love with her. We haven't heard those things - yet - but surprise surprise (not - as I believe you say over there) the affair has emerged.

Now we expect to hear Gore say that he has found his soul mate and that the affair had nothing to do with the ending of the marriage. We won't believe that, either, and you can expect many scornful posts when it is said.

Then we will here of the demise of the affair, and we will be scornful again of Gore for having thrown away a future with Tipper for the temporarily green grass on the watered side.

We express scorn, and sometimes we laugh at the wayward for not having the sense to see what is coming from an affair - but we do not laugh at the affair. I think you know this.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
O
O
lashes

S
S
Originally Posted by OurHouse
lashes
Edit.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
O
O

Last edited by OurHouse; 06/16/10 08:53 AM.
S
S
....I just didnt like being told I could not comment on a thread about that M....and I think others felt that way also hence some laughter....I guess there are requirements to comment on threads now. Hell I guess I should stay on the IDIOTVILLE thread if thats the case.

Maybe I am a little jaded now about affairs....when I saw the the marriage was ending....There, to me, was NO question that there was an affair, prolly because of my life experience and seeing so many betrayed on MB and so many marriages in the MEDIA tainted by A.

I WAS completely saddened by their separation...to me just adding to my own personal feeling that NO marriage is immune, which we all know is true...but I kinda wished that there were SOME marriages that were.

Okay I may have laughed at some comments about AL, but they were funny.....I think laughing and joking on this forum is a release for some, I know it is for me...but I would never laugh because a 40 year M was ending....

Maybe I am just past jaded and now desensitized, IDK, but I stil dont think its funny and I didnt noticed any other posters that thought it was either.

Last edited by stillhere8126; 06/16/10 09:07 AM. Reason: add a thought

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
married 12 Yrs together(?) 18 yrs when A discovered
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

Okay I fixed the ages, it was looking screwy. smile
T
T
Do NOT apologize for laughing! naughty The ability to find humor in unhumorous situations has carried me over many a bump in the road of life, to say nothing of ditches, potholes, drop-offs, puddles, sinkholes, and the like. You are not a serf of the Humor Police, nor should you be. If that were to be true, there are many threads here which should promptly be deleted. I hope the mods are getting on that muy pronto. There will be NO unapproved laughing around here.crazy

I mean it. You. Have. Been. Warned. twoxfour

tl

C
C
still don't quite understand why I have been singled out for snideness and sarcasm on this thread. I'm sure the people I'm talking about will come on and say I'm paranoid or think it's all about me. I'm not stupid - I know when I'm being got at. All bullies say that the person "didn't get the joke" or "thought it was always about them".

Snideness...you are upset by the snideness...when you have been at the giving end of it in other posts?

Case in point...

I love my husband touching me at any time, day or night - he can grab whatever he likes -

You posted that to Mel on another thread on May 16...it was a rant about fill in the blank..and she had suggested to you that you were still in a wayward mindset by your defense of waywards.

Now... EVERYONE that has been here for any length of time KNOWS that mel has made comment about not liking to be "groped".

If your comment wasn't snide, I don't know what is.

If you dish it out..you have to be willing to take it.

committed

P.S. I feel an "edit" coming on.

G
G
I find it ironic that Gores marital split was predicted to be caused by an Affair, and that his affair is being discussed on the internet....

A system he claimed to have invented.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
C
C
I find it odd that people are taking it as gospel from the ...
Star . Now, had it been The Enquirer I might have been more prone to believe it. MrRollieEyes

committed

P
P
he is gross, ugly, and afeminate! she can have him.

prd

O
O
You posted that to Mel on another thread on May 16...it was a rant about fill in the blank..and she had suggested to you that you were still in a wayward mindset by your defense of waywards.

Now... EVERYONE that has been here for any length of time KNOWS that mel has made comment about not liking to be "groped".

If your comment wasn't snide, I don't know what is.

Maybe I'll join you.

edited by me

However, I find that being called ridiculous or having my thoughts labeled as ridiculous .....respectful judgments. edite d by me

In the heat of the moment, we often post the top thing on our minds. Our internal self-editors are not working in top form 24/7.

edited by me

B
B
Awww...maybe OW really, really wanted an ultra stiff one. Al is that man. laugh

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,358 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation