Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2391941 06/17/10 08:44 AM
H
OP Offline
H
SS, DD as they say...

Nothing is better. My husband wants what he considers just compensation. I say I don't want to be married to someone who wants what he wants as just compensation. Extrememly deviant sex (use Wikipedia for ATM, you'll see what I mean), SF at all hours, constant threats of divorce or getting back at me, not with a revenge A, but just "payback is going to be bad for you" if I don't do what he wants. The house is never good enough, I don't do enough, I'm too fat, don't do this, dont' do that....

I really can't take it.

He has kept all the emails from my EA, says I did "those things" for someone else and if SF is not always a "#1 event" then I'm not sorry, not repentant. If he gets mad at me he tells me to call OM- which I have never done and wouldn't do, it has been more than 4 years.

He's destroying any love I have for him.

What is just compensation? Does a FWW have to do whatever BH wants because of her sin? I'm transparent, he has all email passwords and has had for 4 years, I call him all the time, he knows everything about the EA, I've offered a polygraph if he wants me to do that...

He wants revenge in the form of dominance. If he doesnt' get his way, he gets mad. He's destroyed a kitchen drawer, demolished our trash can by kicking it.

Oh, and he smokes "herbal substitute" every night and wants my participation, or else he won't have SF. Yah, it's "legal" but still produces a high.....

Do I just divorce, regardless of what it will do to the kids? Do I leave? Plan B? If I do that, we'll lose the house for sure, and I do believe I won't want him back anyways...

And I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do anything anyways. I do believe that if we separate, we will divorce. I think that if it happened I would be okay, but I'm not brave enough to initiate...

I guess this is really just venting, as I haven't followed advice to leave him before....but it's getting closer...

He WILL NOT do counseling- not with the Harleys, not church...
Was mad before when I posted here, so this post would be a LB and probably a threat to divorce if he finds it...

Last edited by JustUss; 06/21/10 03:40 PM. Reason: title

I'm the FWW EA 2/06-3/06 NC 3/06 BH still not sure
G
G
Originally Posted by howtoheal
My husband wants what he considers just compensation. I say I don't want to be married to someone who wants what he wants as just compensation. Extrememly deviant sex (use Wikipedia for ATM, you'll see what I mean), SF at all hours, constant threats of divorce or getting back at me, not with a revenge A, but just "payback is going to be bad for you" if I don't do what he wants. The house is never good enough, I don't do enough, I'm too fat, don't do this, dont' do that....

He has kept all the emails from my EA, says I did "those things" for someone else
I'm confused.

Did you have a PA or an EA?

If you had an EA, does he belive it was actually PA?
Otherwise how did you do "those things" (ATM, etc) for someone else?

Have you sat down and tried to calmley explain that he is killing your love for him with his constant demands and threats?

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
H
OP Offline
H
Gack, it was an EA, but to BH it might as well have been a PA. I never even met OM. The emails and phone calls were sexually explicit, so to him it is the same. He says that I went out of my way to "get someone else off" so I should go out of my way for him. Now, I don't mind going out of my way and trying to make SF hot for him...but the awful gross stuff....last night we were making out and getting hot and heavy and I moved on to "other things" and he stopped me because it was "boring," and not as good as the kissing was. After about a minute.

NOT to downplay the EA- just as bad as PA.

Of course I've explained that he's killing my love for him. He does not care.

Last edited by howtoheal; 06/17/10 08:58 AM.

G
G
Of course I've explained that he's killing my love for him. He does not care.
Was he like this before your EA?

Me 34
WW 30
H
OP Offline
H
He was a little- always threatening to get back at me if I didn't do what he wanted.

After my EA he said that he told me when we married (and he did) that if I ever cheated on him I would no longer be worth it.

He says he loves me- or rather, now, if I ask if he loves me he says in a sarcastic tone of voice, "Yah, you know it."

He's still here because of the kids- one we had before EA, one after.

Just the other night I asked him why he didn't just leave? He said because of the kids, but I don't actually buy that, as he has also said that not even the kids would keep him in our marriage...

That's the thing- he says one thing, then another, then does another- I am so stressed.

I have planned to take the kids to go see my family- mom and dad, brother and sister. We see my parents a lot, but we haven't been all together as siblings for probably 5 years. He couldn't get off work, but has vacation in another week or two- and he's mad that they didn't arrange their visit around his schedule. This morning he threatened "payback" if I went on this visit! Really? He said, "but you always just do what you want and damn the conseequences anyways."

I can't trust anything he says because then he just changes it anyways.

I can't stand this.

M
M
I can't stand this.

You shouldn't have to. Your H sounds like a manipulative bully. There's a difference between "payback" and "just compensation". Your H sounds like he prefers to get payback.

You will not be able to heal and build a healthy M as long as your H is using emotional power to bully you.

Have you considered counselling?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

G
G
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Have you considered counselling?
He WILL NOT do counseling- not with the Harleys, not church...
Was mad before when I posted here, so this post would be a LB and probably a threat to divorce if he finds it...

HTH, is there a possibility that your H is having an "A"?

Me 34
WW 30
H
OP Offline
H
I tried to go to counselling myself several years ago. When BH found out he threatened divorce.

I don't think he's having an A. He is where he says he is, the cell phones are under my name, no opportunity at work, he's with the kids during the day and uses my laptop.

P
P
i'd be skeptical of the no opportunity at work. you'd be surprised.

prd

G
G
constant threats of divorce or getting back at me,I really can't take it.

I tried to go to counselling myself several years ago. When BH found out he threatened divorce.

As a BS, I often think of taking out "Payback/Revenge" on my WW.
But I don't....

I think it may be time to call his bluff (Or let him divorce you)
Next time he threatens you with this tell him you love him, but cant live with the constant threats. Tell him if divorcing you is what he has to do to be happy, then you will not stand in his way.

Me 34
WW 30
P
P
Originally Posted by Gack1
constant threats of divorce or getting back at me,I really can't take it.

As a BS, I often think of taking out "Payback/Revenge" on my WW.
But I don't....

I think it may be time to call his bluff (Or let him divorce you)
Next time he threatens you with this tell him you love him, but cant live with the constant threats. Tell him if divorcing you is what he has to do to be happy, then you will not stand in his way.

this is great advice. call him on it.

prd

S
S
This is what Dr H has to say about situations like this. It is not uncommon, but certainly destructive.

Using resentment as a way to control and punish a spouse

I'm convinced that what's kept the resentment of S.R.'s husband alive for so many years is that he has found it to be an effective way to control and punish her whenever she doesn't do what he wants. Whenever they have a fight, he brings it up, and it causes her such guilt that it gives him a decided advantage in winning the argument.

By this time, I don't believe that her affair is the problem that she thinks it is. Instead, it is an issue that her husband is using to get the upper hand in his relationship with her. It probably shows up the most whenever she has been reluctant to have sex with him. It throws her off balance whenever he mentions it, and makes her feel guilty, wanting to make it up to him somehow. He may also bring it up whenever she is winning in a power struggle he is having with her.

What she describes to me in her letter is abuse, pure and simple. There is no excuse for the way her husband keeps bringing up her moment of weakness she experienced years ago. He is disrespectful and abusive.

I suggest that she look him right in the eye and say to him, "Listen Buster, do you love me? Do you want me to love you? Do you want to spend the rest of your life with me? If the answers to any of those questions is 'yes' you sure are going about it the wrong way. You are not doing things that I admire, you're doing things that I find disgusting!"

What if he says, "Fine, then lets just get a divorce and end it all."

To that I would say, "It's up to you. I married you for life, but if you want a divorce, it's your call. If you want to be in a love relationship with me, however, you're going to have to treat me much better than you have been treating me. You must never again bring up my affair, and if you are upset with me, you will have to treat me with respect until we can solve the problem. If you are upset with our sexual relationship, I want us to discuss it as adults and solve it with mutual respect. I refuse to be treated like this, especially by the man I love."

My advice to her husband is to never mention her affair again. It's a good example of one of the enemies of good conversation, dwelling on past mistakes. Whenever you keep bringing up your spouses past mistakes, you not only make your conversations incredibly unpleasant, but it cannot possibly lead to a resolution of a conflict you may be discussing. And as soon as his resentment doesn't pay him any dividends -- no longer helps him get his way -- he will find that it hardly ever occurs to him.

Hanging on to an unpleasant thought because it helps us somehow is what psychologists call "secondary gain." It means that even though the thought is unpleasant, it gets you something you need, so your mind keeps it around for its usefulness. There are many unpleasant thoughts that have this characteristic, and I have helped many people let them go by helping them destroy the usefulness of the thought. Making sure that S.K.'s husband never gets what he wants by bringing up her affair will help him overcome his resentment

Good Luck Howto

All Blessings,
Jerry

G
G
HTH,

Are you sure everything is out in the open with H?

Did your H ever confront or expose OM to OMW, or did you prevent him from doing so. I know this is one of the things my W is terrified of and I think this is keeping her clammed up.

God Bless
Gamma

H
OP Offline
H
Gack, PRD, Jerry- yes, that would be the best thing to just call him on it, I agree.

HOWEVER....(you knew that was coming, right?) What about the kids? Not to mention the material things, like house, schools the kids like, moving..but these are all things I can overcome...

What about the kids and what a divorce would do to them?

And it's easier said than done- when he says he wants a divorce I say what? "I love you and don't want a divorce but if that is what you want?" Frankly I'm not just going to give him everything- he'd have to move out and we'd lose the house....

H
OP Offline
H
Gamma- I actually exposed myself after it all came out- to my parents (his have passed), my children, friends....and BH is FURIOUS about it, especially that the kids know. He didn't want anyone to know. "Great, now everyone knows you're a whore." Yah. That and the c**t word get thrown at me at least weekly. Still.

OM was single.

G
G
What about the kids and what a divorce would do to them?
I'm not telling you to divorce him, I'm telling you to call his bluff. If he really wants a divorce, you cant stop him anyway.

Frankly I'm not just going to give him everything- he'd have to move out and we'd lose the house....
No one is telling you to give him everything.

Gamma- I actually exposed myself after it all came out- to my parents (his have passed), my children, friends....and BH is FURIOUS about it, especially that the kids know. He didn't want anyone to know. "Great, now everyone knows you're a whore." Yah. That and the c**t word get thrown at me at least weekly. Still.
I think your husbands entire problem with recovery is he has a bruised Ego.

Would you describe him as someone with a large ego?
Someone who needs people to thing he is strong or powerful?

Me 34
WW 30
N
N
I would usually not give this advice, but I really truly think you need to stand up for yourself, call his bluff, and if he leaves you, so be it. What could be worse than the current emotional abuse he is tormenting you with? It is not right of him to make you smoke to get high, push you away and tell you that your method of SF is boring, and yet demand you are ready anytime, anywhere. Please keep in mind your children are witness to this behaviour (well, hopefully not the SF, but his treatment of you and how he demeans you).

Before I say "cut your losses and run," let me ask you this - why do you want your marriage to work?

Me: BW, 27
Him: WH, 29
DD 4
DS 1
Married 07/25/09
A began end of 08/2009 (possibly sooner)
D-Day: 3/31/10
2nd D-Day: 4/9/2010
3rd D-Day: 4/21/10

Plan B (shortlived as it was): 18/05/10
WH decides to work on marriage: 20/05/10
False Recovery, Back to Plan B: 13/08/10

Filed for D Feb 2011, D April 2012

Looking forward to the sunshine and rainbows life should hold for us all!
G
G
After reading about his abuse, I would leave HIM. Just my 2 cents. You did not do a single thing to warrant such vile behavior. Your kids should not have to be subjected to this man.

BS: 37
FWH: 37
EA: 2 months, ending June 08
Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
M
M
SS, DD as they say...

Nothing is better. My husband wants what he considers just compensation. I say I don't want to be married to someone who wants what he wants as just compensation. Extrememly deviant sex (use Wikipedia for ATM, you'll see what I mean), SF at all hours, constant threats of divorce or getting back at me, not with a revenge A, but just "payback is going to be bad for you" if I don't do what he wants. The house is never good enough, I don't do enough, I'm too fat, don't do this, dont' do that....

I really can't take it.

Didn't we already cover this ground before?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Yes, ML, but there's always been that shred of hope that time will heal wounds. Apparantly, for BH, in the words of Groucho Marx, time has wounded all heels.

I do need to make changes and have allowed my taker to reign lately, as kind of a f-you.

I'm sitting here trying to fend off a panic attack- worried about the "payback" if I go see my family this weekend.

A lot of times the threats are idle, but the stress ruins anything I feel for him.

What is the worst he can do to me? Divorce me? He won't take the kids (in fact threatens to not see them ever again, good dad, huh), I can survive without him, I can do it.

Why do I want my marriage to work? Because I think it could be a great marriage, and for my two kids. The former reason is starting to fade....I'm just not sure it can be good- not sure it ever was.

Yes, he has a very healthy ego, and feels like he used to be powerful and now isn't (not just due to me). In fact, he wonders what kind of man would have stayed with someone like me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (SadNewYorker), 298 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation