Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#2398016 06/29/10 12:51 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I'm sitting her so miserable as I'm purposefully getting fat and bloated up until Friday. Starting Friday I'll be going on a physique change competition that will last 8 weeks.

-sigh- No beer for 8 weeks.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

T
T
Good luck. I feel compelled to employ my dad's annoying knowledge here - it will actually be easier for you to stick to the 8 weeks if you DON'T party like it's 1999 until then (runs and hides)

I am personally thinking of buying one of those black market tape worms that you swallow.

W
W
Originally Posted by lurioosi2
I am personally thinking of buying one of those black market tape worms that you swallow.

Yum!

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
writer1 #2398423 06/30/10 01:33 AM
S
S
Good luck with those 8 weeks. At this point, I really don't think I could go that long without a drink.

Married 3 yrs
No kids
Happy, but Growing Distant
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by lurioosi2
Good luck. I feel compelled to employ my dad's annoying knowledge here - it will actually be easier for you to stick to the 8 weeks if you DON'T party like it's 1999 until then (runs and hides)

ha! Oh all the rage in Victorian times.

I really don't have steep competition. However, I'm also looking at this as a cutting opportunity. I should be extremely lean...almost step on stage bodybuilding lean. The last time I got close to this lean was....wellllll....it's not appropritate to talk about on this forum. And it doesn't ahve to do anything with drugs.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

sbethCO #2398427 06/30/10 02:10 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by sbethCO
Good luck with those 8 weeks. At this point, I really don't think I could go that long without a drink.

Thanks! I'll try. I know that sounds bad. But I just really enjoy my after soccer games beer on the weekend nights. However, if I go ketosis, then that will allow me 1 day a week to cheat. I can time my cheating to this time and since I'll have been in an anaerobic environment, my body will be primed to burn carbs. Since alcohol is mainly carbs, this wouldn't be so bad.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

K
OP Offline
K
Okay, 1st and 2nd place get:
$100 worth of Blackberry accessories
Pair of Nike Free 5.0 tennis shoes

1st place also gets their Blackberry of choice

I love Blackberry phones. I love Nike Free shoes.

I love shoes. I have right about 17 pairs of tennis shoes,sandals, and dress shoes.

I need more.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

S
S
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
However, if I go ketosis, then that will allow me 1 day a week to cheat. I can time my cheating to this time and since I'll have been in an anaerobic environment, my body will be primed to burn carbs. Since alcohol is mainly carbs, this wouldn't be so bad.
What did you just say?!

Would you please explain for the slow learners? Thanks!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
F
I love shoes. I have right about 17 pairs of tennis shoes,sandals, and dress shoes.
I am always fascinated by men with shoe obsessions since I only own about 6 pairs of shoes that I can wear.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by SugarCane
However, if I go ketosis, then that will allow me 1 day a week to cheat. I can time my cheating to this time and since I'll have been in an anaerobic environment, my body will be primed to burn carbs. Since alcohol is mainly carbs, this wouldn't be so bad.
What did you just say?!

Would you please explain for the slow learners? Thanks!

The state of ketosis is where you are using ketones and fatty acids as your primary fuel source rather than glucose (which is what you get from carbs). When you go low carb, your body starts to release ketones into the blood stream. So then your body will then start to use fat as its primary source of energy. You�d prob. be familiar with this ala the Akins Diet that was the huge rage years ago. Now there�s a lot more to it but this is the very basic info in a nutshell.

Once every 5-7 days (depending on bodyfat percentage) you are allowed a reefed time which is usually 12-24 hours. Some will call this a cheat meal or an off day. What this means is the dieter then takes a day every 5-7 days and has a meal or a few that is higher in carbs and basically just eat what you want. This has a number of benefits�none of which are important for this thread.

And when you get done exercising that�s not just getting out there and running around the block or a couple miles, you�re doing anaerobic activity (it means without oxygen) and this is stuff like lifting weights, sprinting, throwing a baseball (basically short spurts of explosive activity). This is when carbs come into play. Anaerobic activity is fueled by glucose and so if you time your carbohydrate intake around exercise, then it is used rather than stored.

Obviously there�s so much more to this. But this is the basic breakdown of what I said.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by faithful follower
I am always fascinated by men with shoe obsessions since I only own about 6 pairs of shoes that I can wear.

I love clothes. I love shoes.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

L
L
Originally Posted by faithful follower

I love clothes. I love shoes.

KT:

I wasn't going to make you give up your Man-Card becasue of the Lifetime Channel.

But this:
I love clothes. I love shoes

Please turn it in.

Your going to fat camp.
You love shoes
You love clothing.
You love the Lifetime channel.

Is this really your wife posting?

grin smile
LG

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by lousygolfer
KT:

I wasn't going to make you give up your Man-Card becasue of the Lifetime Channel.

But this:
I love clothes. I love shoes

Please turn it in.

Your going to fat camp.
You love shoes
You love clothing.
You love the Lifetime channel.

Is this really your wife posting?

grin smile
LG

hahahaha! Thanks, Lou. I just literally burst out laughing.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
[Once every 5-7 days (depending on bodyfat percentage) you are allowed a reefed time which is usually 12-24 hours. Some will call this a cheat meal or an off day. What this means is the dieter then takes a day every 5-7 days and has a meal or a few that is higher in carbs and basically just eat what you want. This has a number of benefits�none of which are important for this thread.

KT, here is the problem I had with cheat days. First off, it knocked me out of ketosis and takes me 2-3 days to get back into it. While I am out of fat burning, I feel sick and dragged down with low energy again. Sugar cheats are even worse: I feel HORRIBLE and weak along with other problems [gastric] I won't mention here. Bread cheats have me waking up at 3am with severe heartburn.

In every instance, I become bloated because when you switch to glucose metabolism [from fat metabolism] the liver retains water again. [the water weight is the first to go on a low carb diet and it is also the first to come back] That water retention can account for up to 5 pounds of water weight gain over night.

I have no doubt that some people can do good with cheats, but they have always been a disaster for me. I have never ever had a cheat in 12 years I felt was worth it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
OP Offline
K
I'm completely with you, Melody. It can take up to 72 hours to get back into ketosis...so 2-3 days is about right on target.

I'm starting to realize that 8 weeks really isn't that long. Starting Sat I'll keep my carb intake at 20 grams and under. That will allow me to keep my normal consumption of nonstarchy vegetables and up to 1 cup of berries.

I think that I'll allow 1 refeed meal every 2 weeks but keep my carb intake for the entire day at under 80 grams.

I will try and target some fast acting carbs of about 20 grams during workouts as that shouldn't have an impact on my ketosis. But we'll see how that works after the first week after hitting ketosis.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

W
W
I'm reading this while eating a handful of dark chocolate covered almonds.

This all is just too much for me. How does anyone ever find the energy (or the time) to pay such close attention to what they eat? I consider it a good day when I actually remember TO eat.

writer1 #2398912 06/30/10 06:29 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by writer1
I'm reading this while eating a handful of dark chocolate covered almonds.

This all is just too much for me. How does anyone ever find the energy (or the time) to pay such close attention to what they eat? I consider it a good day when I actually remember TO eat.

I've been adjusting my diet for various reasons for years now so that I don't count calories so much as keep a mental note that I'm getting enough protein, unsaturated fat, not too many carbs, and a moderate amount of saturated fat. Once you do it long enough, you get really good at portion control and calorie estimates.

The other thing is we find time for what we find important. I know that for muscle growth to happen I need X amount of calories and X amount of those calories to come from protein. I also know that when I�m trying to cut, calorie manipulation can get a little tricky depending on how lean I am and also making sure hormones stay a-ok. My wife laughs when I start pulling out the scale to weigh my food out and have baggies and I�m throwing stuff in the freezer for the week. Some guys shoot pool, some guys fish, some play video games�I pay attention to diet and exercise. Now you wanna see someone that�s crazy �bout this? I have a friend that�s a competitive bodybuilder. He weighs everything down to the milligram.

Summers are easier to plan things. During the school year, it gets a bit trickier. But if you have a habit of eating about the same thing most of the time, then it becomes easy to plan your meals through the week and keep track of calories.

I love exercise and nutrition stuff. I just finished reading a 372 page book on protein that was packed full of research. Booooring stuff for some people...a breath of fresh air for me to read.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

T
T
I am the mean Mommy woman....

Ketosis - also related to ketoacidosis, which is what happens to diabetics just before they die. The process the body goes through is the same, one just is more severe. Your body should not stay in constant ketosis. I have a colleague who stayed on the first stage of Atkins for so long she basically has to be carb free for the rest of her life. I mean, she checks cough syrup for carbs.

Okay, mean worrying Mommy out now.

I need to do something....at this point I wonder if it might be easier to just keep going until I am fat enough for lap band surgery - ha!

One of the EP's right after D-Day for me was that my DH wanted me to stop running/walking (it was a trigger), and eat normally. Adding that to the meds, and the weight just crept up. Another good reason to never cheat -- it can lead to obesity frown

W
W
I really am very particular about the food I put into my body. I try my best to have a healthy, well-balanced diet. I do not allow trans fats into my home. I love fruits and vegetables and nuts. I eat lots of fish and I stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I exercise 20 - 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

It seems to work well for me. I'm not overweight and I don't have any health problems. I don't know if I could handle something too regimented, and I definitely wouldn't be happy eating the same things all the time. I love variety. I love food in general. For me, it's all about moderation when it comes to the things I know aren't very good for me (like chocolate) that I love.

K
OP Offline
K
Yup. But there's varying degrees of the state of ketosis. I monitor mine with keto strips. Don't worry; I won't be going near to the point of a diabetic state. I shoot for a moderate amount of ketones.

Can he walk with you? Would he be okay with you joining a gym?

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 293 guests, and 98 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation