Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2398714 06/30/10 01:42 PM
P
OP Offline
P
As advised by MelodyLane and others on this board, I called my IC's office and cancelled all future appointments. IC called me back and was very concerned that I canceled the appointments. I told him that I felt like my IC was focusing way to much on the past and not allowing me and H to move forward. I needed a break to just focus on my marriage. He said that I had much more work to do on the sexual abuse issues. I told him that if we got our marriage to where it needed to be and there were still sexual abuse issues, then I would deal with them at a later time. That right now I needed a break to just work on my marriage relationship. He said to call him whenever I was ready. I said I would if the need arose, and said goodbye.

H and I went to MC today with both of our books (SSA and HNHN) and told the MC today the new direction we wanted to take to get our marriage on track, and were prepared to discontinue MC, if necessary. We told him our concerns about stopping MC altogether, but that we were not happy with our lack of progress thus far. We really felt like we needed/wished we could find a counselor that was on board with MB principles, because we really felt like this was the direction that we wanted to take to get our marriage back on track but still felt like we needed someone who could hold us accountable and help us do the program.

We can't really afford sessions with Dr. Harley and be able to do UA things. It would make things really tight financially, because any time we schedule UA time, we have to hire a babysitter because neither of us have family nearby for free babysitting, etc.

We both feel that many of our habits and patterns are so ingrained (through many YEARS of doing the wrong things) that we need someone that we can see face to face on a regular basis to really help us work the program and keep us accountable. Our MC had heard of Dr. Harley's books, but had not really taken time to read them. As he skimmed through the books he agreed that this seemed like a good direction for us. I told him that there was a book for counselors that was written to show MCs how to incorporate the program into their counseling practices with couples. He said he would buy the book, read it, and help us do the program, and seemed very enthusiastic about it. So hopefully, we can keep paying our $15 insurance copay and get the accountability we need to recover our marriage.

Just an update...I'm getting more hopeful everyday! :-)

PG01

Last edited by pianogal01; 06/30/10 01:58 PM.
pianogal01 #2398720 06/30/10 01:50 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by pianogal01
As advised by MelodyLane and others on this board, I called my IC's office and cancelled all future appointments. IC called me back and was very concerned that I canceled the appointments. I told him that I felt like my IC was focusing way to much on the past and not allowing me and H to move forward. I needed a break to just focus on my marriage. He said that I had much more work to do on the sexual abuse issues. I told him that if we got our marriage to where it needed to be and there were still sexual abuse issues, then I would deal with them at a later time. That right now I needed a break to just work on my marriage relationship. He said to call him whenever I was ready. I said I would if the need arose, and said goodbye.

H and I went to MC today with both of our books (SSA and HNHN) and told the MC today the new direction we wanted to take to get our marriage on track, and were prepared to discontinue MC, if necessary. We told him our concerns about stopping MC altogether, but that we were not happy with our lack of progress thus far. We really felt like we needed/wished we could fine a counselor that was on board with MB principles, because we really felt like this was the direction that we wanted to take to get our marriage back on track but still felt like we needed someone who could hold us accountable and help us do the program.

We can't really afford sessions with Dr. Harley and be able to do UA things. It would make things really tight financially, because any time we schedule UA time, we have to hire a babysitter because neither of us have family nearby for free babysitting, etc.

We both feel that many of our habits and patterns are so ingrained (through many YEARS of doing the wrong things) that we need someone that we can see face to face on a regular basis to really help us work the program and keep us accountable. Our MC was had heard of Dr. Harley's books, but had not really taken time to read them. As he skimmed through the books he agreed that this seemed like a good direction for us. I told him that there was a book for counselors that was written to show MCs how to incorporate the program into their counseling practices with couples. He said he would buy the book, read it, and help us do the program, and seemed very enthusiastic about it. So hopefully, we can keep paying our $15 insurance copay and get the accountability we need to recover our marriage.

Just an update...I'm getting more hopeful everyday! :-)

PG01

hurray hurray Tell him to come here and read the articles to get a quickie review of the materials. That's awesome though, a MC who is willing to incorporate MB into his practice! You just did him and his other clients a HUGE favor!

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
pianogal01 #2398729 06/30/10 02:00 PM
Y
YEG Offline
Y
We can't really afford sessions with Dr. Harley and be able to do UA things

Can you afford the home study program?

its about the price of 1 session.

Also UA time doesnt mean out of the house time. Or costs money time.

What time does the child go to bed? If the baby is in bed at 8 then you can do 2 hours a night easy after the child is asleep.

You can talk, listen to music together, play cards, board games, read a book together. There are a ton of options.

(ME) BS - 33YO
(HER) WW - 32YO
Married 7 years
DD5
D-Day - 5/1/10 (PA)
Exposure 5/7/10
Plan A 5/7/10 -
Plan B or Recovery on 7-1-10 Its in her court ATM
My thread
princessmeggy #2398758 06/30/10 02:35 PM
M
M
Hey, pgal, this sounds great! If at all possible, point your MC at this article, and ask him to help you in the three ways listed:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi7100_counselor.html

* helping you navigate through the emotional minefields
* motivating you through the motivational swamps
* supplying creativity for you in the creative wilderness

You should read that article yourself, often, and if at any time you feel like your counselor can't do this, you need to leave him.

Also, I strongly suggest no matter what you do, start putting some money aside regularly to do Marriage Builders weekend in 2 years or so. (Currently the only option to do this seminar is through videos online, which you may find preferable anyway.) After the seminar you'll receive accountability coaching, a complete home study course, and access to Dr. Harley's private forum.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
pianogal01 #2398800 06/30/10 03:39 PM
M
M
Our MC had heard of Dr. Harley's books, but had not really taken time to read them.

PG, there is a new book out for marriage counselors written by Dr Harley that would help your MC immensely. It is called Effective Marriage Counseling and it teaches counselors STEP BY STEP how to implement this program.

Bravo to you on your progress! I am happy to hear you are taking a more productive direction.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2398812 06/30/10 03:47 PM
M
M
In addition, that book has a TEST in it that he can give you and your H to MEASURE your progress. He will know pretty quickly how effective he is by testing you on a regular basis.

For example, those of us who went to the weekend seminar are tested in the beginning, the middle and the end to see how effective our lessons are. The test measures the romantic love in the marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2398817 06/30/10 03:53 PM
M
M
She said she convinced her MC to buy that book, Melody. smile

hurray

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
MelodyLane #2398863 06/30/10 04:31 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Our MC had heard of Dr. Harley's books, but had not really taken time to read them.

PG, there is a new book out for marriage counselors written by Dr Harley that would help your MC immensely. It is called Effective Marriage Counseling and it teaches counselors STEP BY STEP how to implement this program.

Bravo to you on your progress! I am happy to hear you are taking a more productive direction.

Yes, MelodyLane! We informed him about the book and he is going to call local bookstores and see if they have it in-stock. I think I saw it at Books-a-Million or at the Life-Way Christian bookstore in the city where we attend MC when I was looking for SAA and HNHN. If they don't have it in-stock, he will have them order the book, so he can get it ASAP. I told him about the website and that he could order it online as well. Either way, he is going to get the book and help us through the program.

I had mentioned in another post that I almost bought the book for him. At MC today, he cracked a joke about us, "Buying our books...and didn't think to buy/bring him his book???" He was being funny. We all laughed. I told him that I almost bought the book for him, but thought that he might be offended if he felt that I/we were trying to "tell him how to do his job..." He just chuckled and replied, "I will get the book and read it."

Last edited by pianogal01; 06/30/10 04:34 PM.
markos #2398872 06/30/10 04:41 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by markos
Hey, pgal, this sounds great! If at all possible, point your MC at this article, and ask him to help you in the three ways listed:

You should read that article yourself, often, and if at any time you feel like your counselor can't do this, you need to leave him.

Also, I strongly suggest no matter what you do, start putting some money aside regularly to do Marriage Builders weekend in 2 years or so. (Currently the only option to do this seminar is through videos online, which you may find preferable anyway.) After the seminar you'll receive accountability coaching, a complete home study course, and access to Dr. Harley's private forum.

I would hope that the Effective Counseling book would have these principle guidelines in it since it is supposed to teach MCs how to counsel the MB way????

Thanks for the article, and I will address this if needed and stop MC if these guidlines/principles are not followed. They are good to know.

H and I started a savings account last week (with direct deposit of X dollars from our employer each pay period--we both teach in the same school district), so a MB weekend might be a viable option in the future.

YEG #2398977 06/30/10 09:09 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by YEG
We can't really afford sessions with Dr. Harley and be able to do UA things

Can you afford the home study program?

its about the price of 1 session.

Also UA time doesnt mean out of the house time. Or costs money time.

What time does the child go to bed? If the baby is in bed at 8 then you can do 2 hours a night easy after the child is asleep.

You can talk, listen to music together, play cards, board games, read a book together. There are a ton of options.

We have 2 children...11 (almost 12) and 2...the 2 year old goes to bed earlier than the 11 year old. I'm not comfortable letting the 11 year old babysit while we go out yet, so private moments in our house are few and far between. We usually hire a cheap babysitter...We have no trouble finding them since my husband is a high school band director. Band kids make great babysitters. We also sometimes use a couple of younger ladies that work at the daycare that our 2 year old attends. We will do as much UA time at home, but it's hard with 2 kids that have such an age gap and go to bed at different times.

The home study course is not out of the question, but we would like to try this with our MC first...We have ordered the Five Steps to Romantic Love workbook and as soon as it gets here, we are going to dive into that. We also have read SAA and HNHN. Along with the workbook, I ordered the Basic Concepts DVD, Love Busters, and Fall in Love Stay in Love. We plan on reading and watching them all.

Hopefully between our MC and the folks here to keep us in line, we will do fine...

pianogal01 #2398991 06/30/10 09:52 PM
M
M
[The home study course is not out of the question, but we would like to try this with our MC first...We have ordered the Five Steps to Romantic Love workbook and as soon as it gets here, we are going to dive into that. We also have read SAA and HNHN. Along with the workbook, I ordered the Basic Concepts DVD, Love Busters, and Fall in Love Stay in Love. We plan on reading and watching them all.

I think you will do great with this. And if you get stuck you can ask questions here and you always have Dr Harley you can call.

You are doing the right thing in keeping your UA time away from the kids. Kids can wake up and then its all over.

Exposure 101

pianogal01 #2398995 06/30/10 10:03 PM
M
M
pg, when H and I looked for our counselor, I actually asked him questions that were in line with Harley teachings: "Do you believe the BS should have all their questions answered? Do you think two people can fall back into love after an A? O&H? POJA?"

When I was sure he was on board with these concepts we began counselling. However, he was not overly helpful with us. I felt like WE were controlling the process, to the point where he was unnecessary. I suspect it was because he was 'okay' and 'agreed' with these concepts. I can't swear to you that he enthusiastically embraced Harley concepts.

We didn't counsel with him for very long. Looking back on it - I wish we'd counselled with the Harleys.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

pianogal01 #2399123 07/01/10 09:20 AM
M
M

I would hope that the Effective Counseling book would have these principle guidelines in it since it is supposed to teach MCs how to counsel the MB way????

Yes, I think it does, some of it near word for word, in fact. But the article is a nice summary of some very important fundamentals that you should be aware of.

H and I started a savings account last week (with direct deposit of X dollars from our employer each pay period--we both teach in the same school district), so a MB weekend might be a viable option in the future.

Yay!

maritalbliss #2399242 07/01/10 11:51 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
pg, when H and I looked for our counselor, I actually asked him questions that were in line with Harley teachings: "Do you believe the BS should have all their questions answered? Do you think two people can fall back into love after an A? O&H? POJA?"

When I was sure he was on board with these concepts we began counselling. However, he was not overly helpful with us. I felt like WE were controlling the process, to the point where he was unnecessary. I suspect it was because he was 'okay' and 'agreed' with these concepts. I can't swear to you that he enthusiastically embraced Harley concepts.

We didn't counsel with him for very long. Looking back on it - I wish we'd counselled with the Harleys.

We are almost 9 months into recovery and MC. Our counselor has really tried to help us, but it just wasn't working. Part of our lack of progress can be contributed to what was happening in my IC sessions. That will no longer be a problem, since I discontinued IC last week.

We are just learning Harley's concepts and want to apply them in our marriage. We live in a very small town and have to go to a neighboring city for MC. I have no idea if there are any MCs around here that even counsel by MB principles. We like our MC and are very glad he wants to try and help us the MB way. Only time will tell if he's able to do it. If not, we'll have to revise our plan.

I got very good vibes from him yesterday and he seemed to think that this approach was definitely right up our alley and was more than willing to get the book so he could help us. We shall see! Maybe we will find that we CAN do it by ourselves, but right now we need some accountability. Someone to meet with that will make sure we are doing our homework and getting things done the right way. We need that security right now.

markos #2399245 07/01/10 11:54 AM
P
OP Offline
P

Yes, I think it does, some of it near word for word, in fact. But the article is a nice summary of some very important fundamentals that you should be aware of.

Yay!

Thanks Markos. I am VERY excited about the savings account.

And thanks for the article too! It will help us gauge how our counselor is catching on to things and how well he is helping us through the program.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 518 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation