Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Originally Posted by lildoggie
Not that it's important now I have it 'straight from the horses mouth so to speak,

Like I said, I never said Dr Harley said that as we can see from those quotes.. Sorry you got the wrong impression.

You really should listen to todays radio show, Lil. He refutes your argument pretty soundly. frown Do you want to post the transcript or shall I?

edited to add: you have mail!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
K
I haven't gone through this entire thread. But I thought I would add in that my wife and I lived together for years before marriage. We lived together a long time before we got engaged.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
ok, he is refuting the argument in your email. You might want to post that transcript too.

Transcript without repeated words, umm and ahhs

JH well good day to you, glad you've joined us for this hour of marriage builders now here is the question I wanna ask you at the top is it a good idea to live together before marriage some would say the majority of listening to this station would say no, no thats not a good idea but you know what it is going on in higher numbers than you would want to believe this is happening and its happening a lot in the secular community of course but couples are living together before marriage who attend church they're choosing this to do this so its not just secular versus religious no its happening in our communities new surveys says that living together before marriage does not raise the likelihood of divorce. Did you get that cos that was one fo the arguments against living together before marriage that it would raise the likelihood of divorce. Now this new study slash survey is saying it does not. Raise the likelyhood of divorce. If you live together before marriage. Well we have lots to talk about and we'll be addressing this and taking your calls the number to dial is xxxxxxxxx thats xxxxxxxxx well bill this has been an ongoing discussion hasnt it regarding the idea of living together before marriage or just living together and then deciding whether they will get married.

DRH yeah the justice department actually did a series of studies in the early two thousands that were really quite alarming and were published in a lot of different places that showed that living together was the number one environment for domestic violence so couples that were living together before marriage were the most likely people to be involved in physical violence against women, and violence against children and sexual violence against children
JH now reposts like that come out and I believe them we cite them we use them in the argument for not living together before marriage and this came up at the pharmancy. It was about a year go we talked, we just get into a lot of conversations and somehow this issue came up and this woman behind the counter said well I guess Im the exception we've been living together for 15 years never got married dont plan to. And we're happy so you see you get these exceptions out there and what do you say to that.

DRH well you get exceptions for almost everything that is harmful to the majority of people .there are very few situations where everybody is harmed with something we know harms people. For example cigarette smoking. I mean there was a great debate about that for years and years and years. Were now pretty much in agreement that cigarette smoking is bad for your health.
JH but there are exceptions right?

DRH right there are people that live to be 95 years old who smoke a couple of packs of cigarettes a day and they're in good health and their lungs are in good health and for whatever reason their bodys dont, are able to fight off whatever the effects of smoking over a lifetime can have. So ther are exceptions to almost everything we can find that is harmful to people in general. Now there have been a lot of studies on living together lot of people have studied this from 1970'2 on as I mentioned the justice department series on this they were focusing not so much on whether or not marriage would survive after living together ubut rather the safety and they came to the conclusion than women and children should not live in an environment where the people are not married the mother and father are not married because the risks of violence are so great . Now the point that this study makes is that if the couple is engaged prior to getting together to live then the results of their marriage is about the same as people who actually dont live together before they are married this study found that people who are not engaged that live together have marriages that are not as successful so that part supported everything else we have found but this one little part they're engages and live together your marriage is as good as if you didnt not live together . Now that could be interpreted a number of ways one is that I'd like to see that replicated I'd like to see another study

JH mmm-hmm

DRH done on that, see if it comes out the same way the other thing is people that are engaged might have a different commitment to the relationship. In other words they might be in my nomenclature buyers. They would have gone into the relationship as if they were married.

JH right cos they had already committed to each other , planning the wedding etc

DRH yeah, for them its not a trial engagement not something they're going to try and figure out whether we get along well enough and if so we'll,,, a lot its a situation were you have your wedding planned one of you has a lease that expires 2 months before the wedding you don't want to sign another years lease and so its more convenient to live together. I dont recommend it but on the other hand this study shows the people that are in that position seem to do about as well as people who dont live together before marriage

JH now we received this email....

After this they had phone in's unrelated to the topic, although JH did put out a challenge for people in a defacto relationship to call in

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
M
M
Lil, the show I am talking about is the one from today. Did you listen to that? I sent it to you on email. It sounds like they are reading your email.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you so much for sending the MP3 of the show. I got it as Flick was walking in from work and we listened to it while cooking tea. We found it very interesting, particularly the segment on POJA and car purchase as we have bought and sold 6 cars in the lat 2 years. We did good laugh
I have to admit we got a little excited when we heard the opening about the woman who had lived with her fianc�e 9 months before M but alas, it was not us. While we did open a joint account not long after moving in together, it was not part of my email to Dr Harley, nor was there anything about furniture. In fact because I was a solo mum and Flick had been flatting for several years before meeting, we had the opposite problem and had to have a garage sale LOL laugh

Anyway, as per your request, here is the transcript, without umms, errs, repeated words, and only the relevant portions as I am laaaaazy rotflmao

MB show 2/7/2010
JH well good day to you, good news you've been listening, your writing us with your questions and your comments on the various topics that we've addressed. Now on the topic of living together which we did just this week living together before marriage or just living together we got several reactive emails. After this discussion. So we're going to address those during this hour along with other email topics. Also we'll asked the question what happens when your spouse changes over time. Elizabeth Edwards comments on how the man she knew was no longer the man that she married at the very beginning so were going to go into the whole idea of change of your spouse in a marriage situation. We have lots to talk about. We'll also be taking your phone calls, the number to dial is xxxxxx . Joining us now is my husband Dr Bill Harley. Licensed clinical psychologist, author of 16 books on marriage including his best seller HNHN. Well Bill we got a challenge about these living together comments were made in our discussion a few days ago

DRH not really a challenge but a correction.

JH a correction, oh well ok. Ok, you interpreted it that way.

DRH or an expansion

JH expansion, ok, its in the eye of the reader maybe . OK this person lived with her fiance for 9 months before marrying him and it worked out well for her marriage. And she is saying that your warning regarding the negative stats of living together before marriage do not apply to all couples and especially in her situation it didnt turn out that way.

DRH yeah and she makes a good point in that she said that in her case they shared everything, they shared bank accounts they chose their furniture together they , in other words, they blended. You know, in the 9 months they were living together they anticipated being married , you know, so they started out with a buyers mentality. They were going to be live partners from the first day they were there. And it worked out well. Now my problem with that idea is that even thou you may expect to do that sort of thing, when you are living together if something goes wrong in the relationship which often happens in the first 9 months the couple is more likely to break and run. Or another way of looking at it is that they are more likely to become renters they might start out as buyers, but the solution to the problem is not to sit down and work this thing out as buyers but rather to slip back into a renter mentality.

JH I think of purchasing a car, in fact thats going to be in one of the emailers questions so thats very much on my mind but the idea of going out and purchasing a car you are getting into the buyers mentality. And you actually put the down payment down , talk about the finances, and your sign and they there can be buyers remorse. You know, some people even back out of the purchase of that car. Before they actually take possession of the car. So thats they only thing I can liken it to that your getting at here, that you can change your thinking even during engagement , or live together?

DRH yeah, you bought a station wagon once I remember that we had a lot of problems with it when we bought it home. The thing that should have alerted me to the fact that this was going to be a difficult entry, was that the battery was dead when we went to pick it up. He had not prepped the car

JH yeah, it wasnt so much the cars fault as the dealers fault

DRH yeah, so we bought the car so we had to get it to work. And so for a while we had to you know, just be persistent in making sure the thing operated right. As it turned out it was a wonderful car, we enjoyed it for years, it was very, it was essentially problem free in the year s that we had it.

JH and your point is

DRH my point is that by buying it we put up with the initial problems that we faced and we got it to work, if we had rented it, if this had been a one month rental it would have been a whole different story and think that for couples who are living together before marriage, while they might have had this experience that this lady wrote about, wrote in, she would, there are many who dont have that experience and so all we're doing is, we're warning people who think that it might be a good idea to live together for economic reasons or who think it might be good to live together as a way of evaluating whether or not the relationship is a good idea , even thought there are these arguments that can be given the experience that I've seen in talking to many many many many couples and the research that I've seen on the topic has indicated to me that its a risky thing to do, if you want, if you really value your relationship and you want this thing to work for life live together after your married

JH there you go, and of course we say personally we do not condone the choice of living together before marriage and thats just something that we base it on because of our faith. Because of religious reasons. What the bible says to us. But the conversation goes out there to the general audience who is not in the same faith mind as we are

DRH yeah, would I give the same advice to somebody who didnt accept my religious beliefs , I would , I would, I would say regardless of your religious beliefs

JH but your reasons would be a little different for encouraging them not to do it.

DRH yeah,and these are the points that I make, is we know that cigarette smoking tend to cause cancer. Well there are a lot of people who smoke thru out their entire life and never get it, never get cancer

JH I think of George burns and his cigar smoking and how, you know he lived into his 90's and George burns did and what do you attribute to your longevity and he would say oh so many cigars a day and you know its true, there are exceptions to all of these rules you might say that we pass on.

DRH the question is are you taking a risk, an unnecessary risk and we just wanna let people know that these are risks that need to be taken into account that is it worth it? To have 2 or 3 months were you live together before marriage when you could just put it off , wait till your married then live together and you;ll be in a group of people that are far more successful

JH well the idea of financially forming a bank account together purchasing furniture together you know we did all that prior to marriage but we didnt live together so all these things can be accomplished even tho not living under the same roof. And in the same theme here we had a listener that said �just listen to the show today and the segment about living together before marriage produces a renters mentality even if the couple later marry I agree with this but you can have a renters mentality in marriage without having lived together prior to marriage which is my case. I also liked that you said that renters cant or wont have a difficult time accepting or participating in the POJA agreement, this is true in my experience....."

L
OP Offline
L
Sorry you got the wrong impression.

Accepted flirt

M
M
Originally Posted by lildoggie
Anyway, as per your request, here is the transcript, without umms, errs, repeated words, and only the relevant portions as I am laaaaazy rotflmao

Thank you soo much!! Wow, what a coincidence that wasn't you! I just assumed it was. [IknowIknow grin]

What did you think of his answer to that situation?

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you soo much!! Wow, what a coincidence that wasn't you! I just assumed it was. [IknowIknow grin]

sigh no international fame for me today wink

What did you think of his answer to that situation?
It was a rather longer version of the email he sent me.

He doesn't recommend that people live together before marriage, due to buyer/renter mindset issues although he admits there is an exception to every rule. He sort of sees that an engaged couple might have some sort of buyers mind going, but feels it is not often the case.

What I am taking on board is that I can put to bed that niggling little thought at the back of my mind about Flick and I living together before marriage, as it appears we were an exception, however rather like I don't recommend certain things I have done in my M, I prolly wont be recommending this one.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation