Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
C
C
Oh dear, well i seem to have goofed agin and put my foot in my mouth. I apologize if stubborness in insisting carbs can be good fuel if used correctly bugs you but I have done it with good sugar control and its waht has worked for me for years.

Nowas far as the DJs to the Atkins plan. I am sorry, I did not get firt hand information and the info I had was wrong. I can't do more than say Im sorry and look at the work while examining its validity. I will probably try some things too. If they work for me, Ill tell evryone so they can benifet.

So hit me with 2x4s and lets get over my stupid statments that I have already said dang it im sory. (do they have an emotiocon for eating crow?) How much protien in a crow?

Would you consider reading the material I suggested?

M
M
Originally Posted by ConstantProcess
Would you consider reading the material I suggested?

CP, I haven't seen anything in your posts that would pique my interest in reading this material. But thanks for the offer. smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

F
F
I am not part of this discussion, so please forgive the intrusion.

But I'd like to comment on some points of nutrition from a strictly "healthy person's" standpoint.

I'm 58. My last physical was this past January. The results of my physical were:
  • Good cholesterol levels.
  • No glucose (blood sugar) problems.
  • Enviable resting heart rate.
  • Blood pressure better than age-adjusted average.
  • Normal PSA levels.
  • Normal testosterone levels.
  • Better bone and muscular density for my age.
I had a colonoscopy (and endoscopy) two yeas ago, and the gastro-enterologist said I was "so clean" that I need not return for another TEN years (five is average).

In other words, were it not for the recent problem I've had with my back (degenerative disks), I'd be the picture of perfect health.

I'm 5' 9'' (I've shrunk an inch, apparently) and weigh 160 lbs. I still wear the same tuxedo I've owned for nearly 20 years. I have a Brooks Brothers suit I bought in 1985 that still fits.

What I do is quite simple. I don't "diet." I eat sensibly and I exercise.

I avoid fried foods. I limit my fat intake. I will eat carbohydrates as an energy boost prior to running (my primary form of exercise). I try to eat a daily "balance" of meats, vegetables, fruits and nuts. I don't prohibit myself any "luxury" foods, but I don't overindulge, either.

I don't remember the last time I ate at a fast-food restaurant. I don't do Starbucks. I don't smoke, and as any of you who are familiar with my story, I don't drink alcohol. I don't drink colas or soft drinks, either.

I don't use salt when I cook, I favor Splenda over sugar, I love garlic, ginger, hot sauce and scallions. Make a dish containing all four and I'm first in line!

This is not meant to be a brag; I am very fortunate to not have health problems (thyroid, diabetes, Crohn's disease, hypertension, etc.) that force one to look closely at their eating habits. But I am trying to say that eating sensibly and getting regular exercise IS what the experts say it is -- a much better way to healthy living!

I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'll bow out now...

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
P
P
Originally Posted by ConstantProcess
Made me think, why did I become a diabetic at 27 anyway? I was allways active, didn't like sweet stuff, didn't party my health away like most younguns. Allways had good strength and weight control without even trying and could eat all I wanted without putting on weight, high metabolism. But yet I became an insulin dependant diabetic? AHAH! It happened two months after I met my late wife, and with the way she looked I probably went way up on my testostrezone. Well its a theory as a guy im comfortable with LOL.

Don't get too comfortable.

It is actually far more likely that you caught a virus. Your immune system then created antibodies to fight the virus. But in the process, your immune system mistakenly identified the beta cells of the islets of Langerhans as non-self, thus limiting your body's ability to produce insulin.

I saw this happen to my BIL when he got the chicken pox virus in his 20s.

pk

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'll bow out now...

Nah. Join on in. This thread took an interesting twist. The more participants the better.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
I This is not meant to be a brag; I am very fortunate to not have health problems (thyroid, diabetes, Crohn's disease, hypertension, etc.) that force one to look closely at their eating habits. But I am trying to say that eating sensibly and getting regular exercise IS what the experts say it is -- a much better way to healthy living!.

Fred, I agree that eating sensibly and exercising avoids many of those diseases. However, I did not have thyroid problems until 12 years AFTER I began eating healthy and exercising. My thyroid problems came in SPITE of a healthy diet and exercise. I have been in better health in the past 12 years than in any time in my adult life. Thyroid problems can come from the onset of perimenopause and/or high levels of stress.

marriedforever is another weightlifter like me who is in excellent health but has problems with her thyroid.

That being said, it was poor diet and a lack of exercise that led to my weight problems, hypoglycemia and general poor health in my late 30's. Eating a diet of excessive carbs, trans fats [vegetable oils and margarines] and refined sugar/flour trashed my blood sugar and caused obesity.

When I was 39 years old, I was 45 pounds overweight, hypoglycemic [from a dangerous low fat diet] and had dangerous cholesterol levels. Switching to Atkins in 1998 resulted in a loss of 40 pounds in 4 months, complete elimination of blood sugar problems, and a dramatic improvement in cholesterol levels.

Anyone would benefit from being on the Atkins diet because it is simply good wholesome, unprocessed foods.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
I have read articles that have linked weight loss and big increase in exercise as a trigger for hypothyroidism or was it just athletes that have a high occurence - I guess this is the stress actor that can trigger it.

C
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
CP, I haven't seen anything in your posts that would pique my interest in reading this material. But thanks for the offer. smile

Lol im not surprised. well i put it out there for everybody so it wasn't a waste of time. I will read atkins just so i know what its about, but like you I have something that works, and im not gonna fix it.

I think ive said enough so i will take my ball and bat and go home. crybaby

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
M
M
Originally Posted by staytogether
I have read articles that have linked weight loss and big increase in exercise as a trigger for hypothyroidism or was it just athletes that have a high occurence - I guess this is the stress actor that can trigger it.

That's interesting. But I think that if that was the cause it would have happened 12 years ago when I lost the weight and started exercising. It didn't even begin until I moved to a new town 3 years ago. My doctor went back over my bloodwork and that is where the increase in my TSH began, culminating in a weight gain 10 months ago.

I have seen some other studies that actually link exercise with BETTER thyroid function, so who knows?

Exposure 101

K
OP Offline
K
Here's some nerd reading for you guys.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
Here's some nerd reading for you guys.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

Thanks KT! You would love that book by Gary Taubes. He has a whole chapter on the Inuit Indians and backs up his conclusions with scads of overlooked studies going back 80 years.

It wasn't until the past 30 years that nutrition research went into the realm of nonsensical politically correct non-science. Any researchers who didn't worship at the alter of low fat and "fruits and veggies" was fired, defunded, mocked and ridiculed. That is how we ended up with bullcrap like the "food pyramid" diets. crazy

Exposure 101

T
T
I will echo what was said about the virus and type 1 diabetes. My DH is actually in a medical book because he went to the doc, was fine, had an appendicitis attack, and was diabetic. His immune system killed his eyelets. They followed his disease for awhile because it was only of the few cases that had been diagnosed so early into the disease. So I guess that makes my DH a science experiment - HA!

I ate peanut butter and crackers for brunch....I refuse to look at the back of the PB jar frown But I did well last night: baked chicken with lemon juice, pepper, and garlic, green beans, and a very small baked potato. But tonight is spaghetti.....boo hiss. I have to use the ground sirloin before it goes bad.

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Thanks KT! You would love that book by Gary Taubes. He has a whole chapter on the Inuit Indians and backs up his conclusions with scads of overlooked studies going back 80 years.

It wasn't until the past 30 years that nutrition research went into the realm of nonsensical politically correct non-science. Any researchers who didn't worship at the alter of low fat and "fruits and veggies" was fired, defunded, mocked and ridiculed. That is how we ended up with bullcrap like the "food pyramid" diets. crazy

I'll go get it from the library this weekend or find it on amazon. Tahnks for the suggestion.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by lurioosi2
I ate peanut butter and crackers for brunch....I refuse to look at the back of the PB jar frown But I did well last night: baked chicken with lemon juice, pepper, and garlic, green beans, and a very small baked potato. But tonight is spaghetti.....boo hiss. I have to use the ground sirloin before it goes bad.

Make into large patties...we call 'em Gabby steaks. Cover with garlic salt and pepper. I like to use worchester when needing them. Make a large salad. Then you have vegetables and beef. Done.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

S
S
I and a very small baked potato.
Bad oosi! Baked potatoes, even small ones, are very high GI. They cause the sugar crashes that we have been raging against on this thread.

Pasta is high carb, too. Why not make the ground sirloin into burgers, using no bread as a filler or breadcrumbs to coat? You have yours with low GI vegetables and salad leaves, and the non-dieters can have theirs in a bun if they must, but also with the salad leaves.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
Make into large patties...we call 'em Gabby steaks. Cover with garlic salt and pepper. I like to use worchester when needing them. Make a large salad. Then you have vegetables and beef. Done.
kt, stop following me around and coming out with my thoughts before I do!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by SugarCane
kt, stop following me around and coming out with my thoughts before I do!

Great minds think alike. Or was it demented minds?

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

T
T
I thought great minds WERE demented!

I had chicken instead....my tummy started not liking me, and beef makes it worse. We had burgers with Worcestershire night before last....but I did have bread.

My mom said that had a headache the first week or so that she was on SB. Did anyone else have that when they went low carb? Just wanna make sure I can find the Tylenol if so smile

M
M
My mom said that had a headache the first week or so that she was on SB. Did anyone else have that when they went low carb? Just wanna make sure I can find the Tylenol if so smile

That is sort of rare but you might get a headache if you are used to eating alot of carbs. It's more common to feel a little weak for a couple of days when your body depletes its glucose stores [carb withdrawal] and switches to fat metabolism. But after that you will feel really energetic.

For me, I felt great immediately because my high carb/low fat diet just trashed my blood sugar. But your mileage may vary!

Exposure 101

K
OP Offline
K
I don't get a head ache. The only carbs I've had yesterday and today are from cucumber, romaine lettuce, spinach, bell pepper, onion, and a couple tablespoons of salsa. Actually, I had a roma tomato yesterday and 1 today and I had a cup of blueberries after doing a circuit of swimming while wearing a weighted vest and pull ups.

Yesterdays total carbs were under 20 and today I'm sitting at right about 30 grams

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation