Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
Today I may have been handed a chance.

My brother has been contacted by some of our brothers (whom we've not seen in years), and a cousin, who have apparently been trying to find us.

Why? To have some sort of intervention for my mother who is still as much a...well, I'll say nothing and save mods the trouble.

Suddenly, I find that I may just see her again, sooner than I think. How do you all suggest handling this?

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
K
OP Offline
K
I have just learned that I also have a sister, who is 3. Her father is raising her.

So that makes four boys and two girls for my [insert word accompanying my boiling rage] of a mother.

All this information is pouring in so quickly...

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

V
V
I bet this is pretty overwhelming for you. I've had some experience with this, not a lot.

The lousy thing about long lost family coming together, is the hurtful memories that are resurrected.
In my case, these hurtful feelings were on the side of the long lost family member.

You won't know what the reason is for the contact, unless you ask.
What are you prepared for?

If you don't ask, are you prepared to live with the 'what if' ?

The 'what if' could be anything, I don't know your families past.

If you don't believe that these family members have your best interest at heart,
that may help you make your decision, that much quicker.

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

K
OP Offline
K
Oh, no.

I bear no ill will against these brothers. They were treated the same way I and my full-brother were.

They have the same opinion, in that she's out of her mind and needs to be made to come to her senses.

My brother is talking to one of the brothers as we speak.

I am so glad I have tomorrow off.

V
V
If this wanting to make contact has to do with your Mom, then realize what you are prepared to handle.

If your answer is nothing, then you have your answer.

In my case, I tried to contact a family member that I had just learned actually existed.
My intentions were good, not to stir anything up, but to invite her into our family, if she wished. No conditions, no history bashing.
She was happy to hear from me.

Another long lost family member that I tried to contact, whom I hadn't seen for many years, wanted nothing to do with our family.
The same invitation was given to her.
Although I had nothing to do with her estrangement from the family, I took her refusal as too much hurt was associated with our extended family.
I respected that.

I'm not sure if any of that will help you to see your situation better.

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

K
OP Offline
K
I'd like to meet her, if only to give a scathing Plan FU.

Apparently after she had this last child, she checked herself into a mental institution to AVOID TAKING CARE OF HER.

I intend to keep talking to these relatives. Maybe one day I will be able to see her.

Without being too angry.

V
V
I'm logging out now karmarose, and I'm not on MB a whole bunch.
I'll check back tomorrow though, just to check back, cuz, well, I can!

Try taking a long hot bubble bath, let Calgon take you awaaaaaay. smile

Clear head, clear decisions.

Keep in mind, while I understand you wanting to scream at her, to hurt her,
your words may or may not have any affect on her.

Do what will keep YOU healthy.

I'm glad that you have support in your siblings.

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

K
OP Offline
K
Thank you for your time.

K
OP Offline
K
It's been a very long night.

I've spent hours talking to three half-brothers I never really knew...

...who all think of her, the same way as I do. It is very sad. She had all these chances with children and she just keeps going on.

V
V
Hi Karmarose,

That sounds like it was a long night.
My first thought was, wow, 3 new siblings, more family!
I grew up with lots and lots of family around, I value family, can't imagine not having them around.

While it's sad that you all feel the same way, at least you know that your perception of her is validated.
To have children not knowing each other, and not taking responsibility for them, it's disgraceful.

There is strength in numbers, I hope that you all stay in touch and support each other for years and years to come.

It's unfortunate that your Mom has missed out on having a pretty intelligent and well grounded daughter in her life,
from what I know of you anyway

K, remember though, she made her life choices that dictated her path,
yours are yours, and I'm sure that you will have a great life.

I had a saying put on a plaque once, for one of my kids, the one that had a habit of making terrible choices.
It read 'Destiny is not the risks that you take, but the choices you make'.

You are NOT your Mother's daughter! smile

p.s. I hope you can get caught up on your sleep!

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

K
OP Offline
K
I sure did, I slept until 4 pm!

H
H
I ditto that you are a well-grounded, level-headed, caring woman, Karmarose.

Perhaps your mother is the reason you are so helpful to others. She ignored the basic responsibility of caring for her own children. You go out of your way to help strangers who admire your judgement and humor. I LOVE hearing from you!!!

Just take these changes as another chapter in your life's book.

K
OP Offline
K
Aww, thank you, Holy.

I do try to be caring. My boyfriend's niece (who is adorable) even seems to like me, and she's only a few months old. I find that I don't dislike infants as much as I thought, as I kind of enjoyed tending to her. So maybe I'm not as child-averse as I thought myself to be.

V
V
I was thinking of you as soon as I got up this am.

You mentioned that your family (not these brothers I'm assuming) point out when you make mistakes and refer to you as being your Mother's daughter.

Karmarose, you are young and you will make mistakes, as did we all. It is expected, whether or not our upbringing was a positive or a negative one.
Mistakes/bad choices/risks are learning experiences, ones to not be repeated, if we view them that way.

To add what Holyheart said, since I agree 100% .....
You have learned how not to be a clone of your Mother.
It sounds like she took risk after risk without thought, and didn't ever learn the damage that these actions did to her children.

oh, and enjoy your BF's niece while she is still an infant, and likes to cuddle. I loved when my kids were infants, no talking back, just cooing!
She will soon enough be a toddler having tantrums! laugh
It's all good, and normal.

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

P
P
Originally Posted by karmasrose
I'd like to meet her, if only to give a scathing Plan FU.

Apparently after she had this last child, she checked herself into a mental institution to AVOID TAKING CARE OF HER.

I intend to keep talking to these relatives. Maybe one day I will be able to see her.

Without being too angry.

Here comes an over-share ...

Both our 2 kids are adopted.
They came from the same birth mother (BM).
Different bio-dads.

Our youngest child was the BM's 9th child. BM may have given birth to more since then, I don't have any way of knowing.
BM was a heroin addict.
Other things too.

Our oldest, our son, HATES his BM with a passion.
I mean he H.A.T.E.S. her beyond reason.
One could call his emotional attachment to his BM a "plan FU".

Our son's consuming HATRED for his BM is near to ruining his life.
I am serious.
Our son is infected with his hatred.

BM grew up in foster homes. Many foster homes.
Abused.
Rejected.
Sexualized at an early age.
Possibly mentally ill ???
Certainly self-medicating with drugs.

I do not hate her.
I have compassion for her.
For all the crappy things she did, she never aborted a fetus.

I do not encourage either of our kids to seek a relationship with BM.
I don't discourage it either.

BM is just a sad, sad lost soul.
There is no "THERE" there.
Ya know what I mean?

Our kids express some interest in meeting some of their other 7 (or more) half siblings. But, their interest seems lukewarm to me, at best.

What I encourage my children to do (and you too my dear) is to find an emotionally neutral place to put her.

I think, what angers my kids the most, and possibly you too, is the IDEA of her.
The IDEA of a warm loving mother that never was.

BM had no loving mother herself.
BM was human waste to those who should have taken care of her.

Find an emotionally neutral place ... visualize something like a plain cardboard box.
Nothing is written on it.
Put her inside.
Leave her be.

Your life is yours to live on your terms.
Start thinking about that.
What are your terms?

P
P
PS:

Our son's hatred for his BM has spilled over onto his relationships with us, his parents.

This is what I do NOT want you to do.

Do not allow your hatred to deepen it's roots, and affect any present/future loving relationships.

V
V
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Our son's consuming HATRED for his BM is near to ruining his life.
I am serious.
Our son is infected with his hatred.

BM grew up in foster homes. Many foster homes.
Abused.
Rejected.
Sexualized at an early age.
Possibly mentally ill ???
Certainly self-medicating with drugs.

I do not hate her.
I have compassion for her.
For all the crappy things she did, she never aborted a fetus.

I do not encourage either of our kids to seek a relationship with BM.
I don't discourage it either.

BM is just a sad, sad lost soul.
There is no "THERE" there.
Ya know what I mean?

Our kids express some interest in meeting some of their other 7 (or more) half siblings. But, their interest seems lukewarm to me, at best.

What I encourage my children to do (and you too my dear) is to find an emotionally neutral place to put her.

I think, what angers my kids the most, and possibly you too, is the IDEA of her.
The IDEA of a warm loving mother that never was.

BM had no loving mother herself.
BM was human waste to those who should have taken care of her.

Find an emotionally neutral place ... visualize something like a plain cardboard box.
Nothing is written on it.
Put her inside.
Leave her be.

Your life is yours to live on your terms.
Start thinking about that.
What are your terms?
Gosh, my stomach feels sick reading this. Your son sounds like a lost soul.
The only consumed anger/rage that I have ever felt was post d-day and directed towards WH and OW.
I'm fortunate.(in a twisted sort of way)
I can't imagine that anger never leaving, but growing and steering my life further into a black hole.

I hope things turn around for him.
Hugs to you Pepperband, he is lucky to have you for a parent.

Karmarose, not knowing the depth of anger towards your Mother (absolutely no experience with that),
I agree with finding a neutral place to stuff it, even a wee bit can fester and grow.

I support the 'on your own terms' statement too. I believe in that philosophy
with many of life's situations.

Hope you are doing well! smile

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

K
OP Offline
K
It has been this way for a long time, Pepperband.

It's why I fear being close to anyone. Why I have difficulty even now bonding with the boyfriend.

Why I fear being abandoned by everyone around me. You are all helping me with it, tremendously...and Pep...

The cardboard box idea has worked so far. I tried it since yesterday and already I feel...almost liberated.

K
OP Offline
K
That's why I come here...thank you all, for all the support. She's given me her number on FB and asked me to contact her.

The word "mommy" was involved.

Yet gathering more intel has garnered one very hurtful fact.

If I am to believe what I heard from one of my half-brothers, she said, and I quote, "I have no children."

Cardboard box...cardboard box...anyone got a cardboard smiley?

T
T
I am so sorry, karmarose. After my DH located my bparents and I found out details about my bfather, I was so disgusted by him. For a variety of reasons. Now I just feel sort of sorry for him. The decision about whether or not to contact bio family is hard. I still sometimes second guess that choice. One thing I do know...I am not my parents. My value does not depend on their choice...just my own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation