Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Greengables #2419790 08/23/10 09:03 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Greengables
First, if this is a man who is being introduced at a party, or even out at dinner, I think that's okay. HOWEVER, SW, that is not the same as having your son date him along with you. In other words, your son should not spend very much time at all with this man for several months. So, you will have to get a sitter for him.

Also, I agree about the faith thing. You may have the same faith but that doesn't mean you are compatible in other areas of your life. When the Bible talks about being "evenly yoked" it doesn't just mean faith. You need to have the same goals, the same energy, the same kind of strides, all of that to be a good team. Ox and mules both make excellent plow animals, but you don't harnass them up together.

Now you may think you know all this because you've talked about it, but you can't really know yet. That's because people will say, and even think, they have one goal, but then, you find they do nothing towards achieving that goal. They are heading off in another direction. Keep reminding yourself of this so that you don't let your heart run wild.

Finally, for Sapphire, everyone wants to be happy, but happiness is not purpose of life. Happiness and sadness happen, and they are part of the Wheel of Fortune. It is not bad for children to see their parents sad provided they are old enough to understand they didn't cause it, and they aren't responsible for fixing it.

My generation and those behind me have been told lies. We've been told through our culture that we should live to be happy, and the implicit message is that we should be happy all the time. We should strive to avoid sadness, pain, suffering, etc.

I got news for you. Life is a vale of tears. It's also a triumphant mountain summit. The pain and suffering are built in. It's important that we accept that we can be sad, we can hurt, and yet, we can still be okay.

Thanks GG....very balanced post and I do appreciate it. I agree my 'happiness' is not the prime objective of my life but rather a by product of doing things in a logical and responsible manner.

I also agree about the tendency of humans to SAY they want a certain thing and then do nothing to go in that direction. So far I do see evidence of a man who is actually doing the things he needs to do to be what he claims he wants to be.

We spent a great day together yesterday. We were with friends the entire time...my friends here in my town...my son was there but it was casual....a few couples, lots of kids, food, talking...just fun. He is very comfortable with my friends...throughout the course of the day we discovered they know a lot of the same people, so that was good.....

Just trying to get to know him.

SmilingWoman #2419800 08/23/10 09:45 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
We spent a great day together yesterday. We were with friends the entire time...my friends here in my town...my son was there but it was casual....a few couples, lots of kids, food, talking...just fun. He is very comfortable with my friends...throughout the course of the day we discovered they know a lot of the same people, so that was good.....

dance2 You deserve to be happy!

SmilingWoman #2419805 08/23/10 10:02 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman

And that's all that folks here are recommending - get to know him first, before saying things like:

We are on the same page about all the important things

You won't know that for a while.

AGG

AGoodGuy #2419830 08/23/10 11:26 AM
G
G
SW, I get a sense that in your community, you won't be dating so much as courting. I think this changes the rules a little. Courtships tend to be much more public and much more subject to community influence. I suspect that your families will have the power to veto the relationship even though you are experienced adults.

My comments on happiness weren't directed to you. From what you've written in the past, I was pretty sure you didn't need to hear that. I was addressing Sapphire's comments which put a heavy emphasis on happiness. I remember what I was like at her age, and how shocked I was to hear Dr. Laura say "There just feelings. Feelings are the most imprtant things in the world." What????? LOL. Now, after I've had LOTS of different feelings and have been through some of life, I get it.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
Greengables #2419892 08/23/10 02:14 PM
S
OP Offline
S
SW, I get a sense that in your community, you won't be dating so much as courting. I think this changes the rules a little. Courtships tend to be much more public and much more subject to community influence.

This is true. However, we are both mid 40s and we aren't asking for permission...but it is a much more public situation than I am sure most people are familiar with. Thus why my son is more involved than most of you think is wise. My son knows I am not dating for sport....

I suspect that your families will have the power to veto the relationship even though you are experienced adults.

Not exactly. Although we have a lot of people interested in us and good friends family on both sides who will be honest enough to express concern over things each of us might be missing.

My comments on happiness weren't directed to you. From what you've written in the past, I was pretty sure you didn't need to hear that. I was addressing Sapphire's comments which put a heavy emphasis on happiness. I remember what I was like at her age, and how shocked I was to hear Dr. Laura say "There just feelings. Feelings are the most imprtant things in the world." What????? LOL. Now, after I've had LOTS of different feelings and have been through some of life, I get it.

Thanks. GG. I do appreciate Sapphire's perspective, but realize we have a different take on 'happiness.' In fact, J told me the other day that when his wife left him she said she wanted two things...'to have fun and be happy.' He said he told her, 'really? That's it? I want a few things two...and they are ds (one) and ds (two)!'

And yes she is wayward. J's XW...not Sapphire. smile

SmilingWoman #2419897 08/23/10 02:22 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Another thing I want to say, is that although I realize I seem to be repeating my dating mistake from the first of the year....it is no where even remotely the same. I can't really expect any of you to understand that....but I did not tell anyone I was seeing that other man--except this board. Honestly, I knew it was not a good long term relationship and I was at my lowest wanting to feel good in the moment. I am still shaking my head over that whole deal...

This is ENTIRELY different. As I said, in my faith, mutual friends, introduced by mutual friends who would not have done so if they could not recommend each of us to the other. It is a wholesome relationship for lack of a better word. We are both people who have been a bit beat up by life, made some of our own mistakes but who want to live in a certain non mainstream way and serve our God the same way. As someone said, THAT alone does NOT make a good relationship...I hope I didn't give the impression I think nothing else matters. I do think we have to actually LIKE each other and have similar feelings on things besides religious issues...but I have to tell you all that in MY world, religion is HUGE.

So yeah. I'm proud to be seeing him, not ashamed of myself in anyway and I'm looking forward to getting to know him and his family/friends better.

SmilingWoman #2419933 08/23/10 03:24 PM
G
G
That's why I think your community would have an unspoken power of veto. If they felt you two weren't right for each other, there would be lots and lots of pressure to split you up.

Your community will discuss this. His cousin's friend may say something to your sister. That kind of thing.The good news is they probably see a lot more clearly than you do when you're in the infatuation stage.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
Greengables #2420006 08/23/10 06:50 PM
S
OP Offline
S
That's why I think your community would have an unspoken power of veto. If they felt you two weren't right for each other, there would be lots and lots of pressure to split you up.

Your community will discuss this. His cousin's friend may say something to your sister. That kind of thing.The good news is they probably see a lot more clearly than you do when you're in the infatuation stage.

You summed it up well. smile

SmilingWoman #2420266 08/24/10 01:22 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by markos
Even being of the same faith did not stop me and Prisca from having some pretty strong relationship problems.

Same here. In fact, my ex and I were (actually ARE) still holiness-pentecostal preachers. We were saved and called to the ministry BEFORE our marriage. And look where we ended up.

Before anyone runs out and quits their church for me having said that� I must note (�and this is a MOST UN-Christian thing to be happy about, I know�just pray for me) that the truth eventually came out about his wrongdoing, and though he apologized to our old church, served �probation time� of no ministering, and received forgiveness of the members and the senior pastor, his ministry has dried up. The Bible says you�ll know them by their fruit. This man prayed for several hours a day, studied his Bible for several hours more, and yet still we are divorced.

Ok, I�m done with that t/j. Just didn�t want anyone to backslide over two preachers divorcing.

Back to you SmilingWoman, please please please be careful. Everything I�ve learned on this site and some others about personality disorders says this is happening too fast. The guy is too perfect too soon. If your faith is anything like mine, it will be hard to be physically/financially/etc committed to each other too soon, but I'm just concerned about you being *emotionally* committed (and then hurt) later!

Have fun ***you deserve some fun*** I do hope he turns out to be everything you need (and want)!

DTC

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
DaisyTheCat2 #2420296 08/24/10 02:22 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by DaisyTheCat2
Originally Posted by markos
Even being of the same faith did not stop me and Prisca from having some pretty strong relationship problems.

Same here. In fact, my ex and I were (actually ARE) still holiness-pentecostal preachers. We were saved and called to the ministry BEFORE our marriage. And look where we ended up.

Before anyone runs out and quits their church for me having said that� I must note (�and this is a MOST UN-Christian thing to be happy about, I know�just pray for me) that the truth eventually came out about his wrongdoing, and though he apologized to our old church, served �probation time� of no ministering, and received forgiveness of the members and the senior pastor, his ministry has dried up. The Bible says you�ll know them by their fruit. This man prayed for several hours a day, studied his Bible for several hours more, and yet still we are divorced.

Ok, I�m done with that t/j. Just didn�t want anyone to backslide over two preachers divorcing.

Back to you SmilingWoman, please please please be careful. Everything I�ve learned on this site and some others about personality disorders says this is happening too fast. The guy is too perfect too soon. If your faith is anything like mine, it will be hard to be physically/financially/etc committed to each other too soon, but I'm just concerned about you being *emotionally* committed (and then hurt) later!

Have fun ***you deserve some fun*** I do hope he turns out to be everything you need (and want)!

DTC

I sure haven't intended to present him as perfect. We are talking a lot and getting to know each other. He told me just today that he is really excited about how Open and Honest I am. We are mid 40s...we've both done plenty we wish we hadn't--including as spouses.

And true to GG's prediction the 'feelers' that were put out are coming back with info far and wide. I am getting a picture of a man that is in harmony with what he tells me about himself. An imperfect man to be sure, but a man who wants to live a certain way--which is the way *I* want to live. So he and I will just continue on our journey of getting to know each other and each other' s worlds.

I do realize it isn't for everyone---but it is a world I'm very comfortable in. I'm happier than I've been in years.

SmilingWoman #2420357 08/24/10 04:52 PM
G
G
SW, just keep in mind this isn't the only available man in your faith. If it turns out, you two aren't a good fit in some other ways, I'm sure your community will start looking at other people to send your way.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
Greengables #2420418 08/24/10 09:05 PM
S
OP Offline
S
SW, just keep in mind this isn't the only available man in your faith. If it turns out, you two aren't a good fit in some other ways, I'm sure your community will start looking at other people to send your way.

True.

SmilingWoman #2420804 08/25/10 04:28 PM
K
K
Good luck to you! I just hope you have a different experience than I just had. think

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
KayC #2420896 08/25/10 10:53 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by kaycstamper
Good luck to you! I just hope you have a different experience than I just had. think

Me too Kay. frown I'm sure sorry.

SmilingWoman #2421233 08/26/10 05:20 PM
K
K
Keep us posted! We're keeping our fingers crossed...

KayC #2421537 08/27/10 01:12 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Keep us posted! We're keeping our fingers crossed...

Things are going very very well. Thanks for good wishes.

SmilingWoman #2422108 08/29/10 09:08 PM
K
K
hurray

KayC #2430056 09/26/10 01:15 AM
S
OP Offline
S
hurray

Well guys...it is unbelievable. And no amount of discussion will convince some of you that we are are not moving too fast....that aside----

WXH is all kind of torn up. I don't know if I've posted this before but he has been living in total denial about me being 'gone'. He actually called the man who introduced J and me the other night. Friend told me, 'I totally expected it.' FTR, I retained this friend in the divorce....friend and wife attended the divorce hearing in support of me and they are not still 'friends' with XH. But XH heard through ds that this friend introduced me to J....XH called friend under the pretense of being concerned about his son's well being. Friend assured him ds was safe and all was well...

XH told friend 'I know I screwed up, but I really thought we could get past it.' Friend said, 'yes XH you did screw it up. And you drove the final nail in the coffin of a marriage that had been very bad for many years.'

Then I told friend that I was shocked and confused when ds told me that XH shows no affection toward OW....friend shrugged and said, 'doesn't surprise me at all. What he wants is right here in this house--you and his son---but it is gone and he is never getting it back. So she is just something to pass the time with for now.'

Karma bus is running over him....

SmilingWoman #2430215 09/26/10 06:05 PM
A
A
Still sounds like high school to me.

AGoodGuy #2430222 09/26/10 06:56 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by AGoodGuy
Still sounds like high school to me.

? My XH? Yes...I agree....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation