Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
Originally Posted by seekingbalance
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
The problem is not the board, SB, but your own foggy thinking�.The problem lies with the lady in the mirror.

Since the problem, or issue, I was addressing was the fact that fewer WS�s seek help here than do BS�s, I�m certain I�m not the problem.

SB, yes fewer WS seek help here because fewer WS seek help in general. That is the nature of the beast. What a sincere WS will find here is the help they need. They don't find people who will tell fogged out waywards what they want to hear or pretend like they aren't selfish. That is not helpful; it is not support.

The WS's here who are recovered value this place as a source of support and learning. And how does their perspective differ from yours? They are recovered, you are not.

A WS who is sincere about recovery could not be run off by wild horses. If a WS leaves it means they weren't really sincere in the first place.

In actual fact, Sunnydaze was right on in spotting what I was thinking. The wife in the situation is in a lose/lose. That bonding moment between her H and the OW may be a tough hurdle to overcome if she wants to save her M. On the other hand, the public humiliation of being there would be unendurable, at least for me. What that woman is going through is appalling.

Yet you didn't say that. Finally we see a slight demonstration of empathy for the victim in this horror show. That gives me some hope.

That "bonding moment" with her scuzzy WS and the OW would be even harder to overcome if she had to watch it up close and suffer the humiliation on international TV. The lovebuster would have probably been unsurmountable for most BS. In fact, what happened might well be the end of the marriage for the BS. I can't imagine overcoming the resentment from such a cruel and brazen act heaped upon her by 2 pigs.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
You might think that it isn’t abundantly clear when a post, however harsh it might be, is meant to be helpful versus demeaning. You are wrong.

I dont see how your post was helpful...

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
married 12 Yrs together(?) 18 yrs when A discovered
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

Okay I fixed the ages, it was looking screwy. smile
M
M
[Originally Posted By: MelodyLaneThe fact that you are chastising others for accurately describing wayward behavior tells me your problem is not with the forum, but with the TRUTH.

Again illustrative of what I see as the issue. I wasn't "chastising" anyone. I was pointing out something I've noticed in DrH's books.

I agree that WS�s are selfish and entitled. They are also lost souls.

Yes, they are lost. They are self will run riot. BY CHOICE. They are victims of their own hand.

And I don't believe you brought up the point that Dr Harley doesn't call WS's selfish and entitled as a complaint. Its obvious to readers why you brought it up. You don't like it when board members state the obvious.

But, you know better what you mean so if you are agreeing that WS are selfish and entitled there is no problem in saying that waywards are - in truth - selfish and entitled. Then we have no issue. Because you can be assured that needs to be brought up early and often.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

E
E
I don�t think that is inconsistent in any way with the MB program. DrH�s materials show great compassion for the WS. He talks in SAA (I think that�s where I read it, don�t have my copy handy) about how the WS is so trapped and in so much pain that suicide sometimes seems the only way out. I haven�t noted him characterizing the WS as �selfish� or �entitled�, adjectives that are routinely used here to describe the WS, in any of the materials I have read � �misguided� is as far as I�ve seen him go. A requisite level of apologizing and remorse doesn�t seem to play into his recovery scheme http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5061_qa.html, and yet that seems to be a theme on the forum in general and on this very thread.

Odd, because if you read what Dr H RECOMMENDS with respect to the apologizing:

But in spite of what I've just said, I encourage each spouse, if possible, to override their Takers' instincts and apologize to the other anyway.

So it may not be required, but if you want to have the best possible outcome, it's certainly recommended. So there is little to gain by arguing that one does not need to apologize. If you only want bologna instead of steak and lobster, then you can stick to the idea that an apology is not necessary.

I think you are missing the parts where he says the WW is selfish. After all, the Taker by definition is selfish. So unless you are dismissing the very notion of the taker being in charge, then there is your indication of being selfish.

When the taker is in charge, one is being selfish. The WS ends the affair with resentment and with the taker still in charge if I understand what I'm reading in the link you've provided.

So apparently Dr H does say the WS is selfish. He just says it more politely. But that's what taker in charge translates to.

E
E
To add to that:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3550_give.html

But when the Taker is in charge, we are rude, demanding and inconsiderate. All we seem to think about is ourselves, and what our spouses can do to make us happy. We expect our spouses to make sacrifices for us, because our Takers don't care how our spouses feel.

That sure sounds pretty selfish to me. So let's go back and look at Dr H's description of the WS right after the affair is over:

S.C.'s wife is not sorry she had an affair. In fact she feels that it did her some good. She "finally did something for herself." That sure sounds like her Taker, doesn't it (if you don't know what a "Taker" is, be sure to read "The Giver and the Taker" in my Basic Concepts). Her Taker is only concerned about her happiness, and not the least bit concerned about S.C.'s happiness. It was her Taker that was doing the talking for her, telling S.C. that he had it coming, after what he had put her through with all of his drinking.

OK, without saying the words selfish, Dr H has called the WW in this example SELFISH.

Unless someone else reads the definition of taker different from what Dr H wrote?

M
M
Yep, thats selfish! And he uses that very word all the time! Even so, I can't imagine why that was even brought up from someone who AGREES that WS's are selfish.

What was the point in even bringing it up if you agree waywards are selfish, SB?

Exposure 101

H
H
Ok reading that thread has totally depressed me. This place is supposed to be helping those that need it. I didn't like that post either which was specifically about ranting at 'waywards'. Oh well.

BW/FWW 34 (Harmony)
BH/WH 36

Feb 2009 - Affair starts, physical for 9 days on business trip.
Mar 2009 - Separate from H, live alone
Apr 2009 - realise I have made big mistake and attempt reconciliation with H, establish NC with OM.
Jun 2009 - H physical and emotional serial A start right upto present day.
Jul 2009 - NC with OM broken and becomes EA
Mar 2010 - H reads email and discovers A
Jul 2010 - Discover MB
Aug 2010 - Plan A starts
Oct 2010 - Plan B starts
D
D
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
So it may not be required, but if you want to have the best possible outcome, it's certainly recommended. So there is little to gain by arguing that one does not need to apologize. If you only want bologna instead of steak and lobster, then you can stick to the idea that an apology is not necessary.

I'd not say that a non-apologetic recovery is bologna vs. steak & lobster. Dr. Harley is on record as stating that he's seen many fully-recovered marriages where the wayward wife never apologized, but very few fully-recovered marriages where the wayward husband never apologized.

If I had insisted on a full and public apology when my wife was still foggy, it would be likely I'd be talking visitation and child support rather than here typing while my lovely wife is taking a brief nap on the bed next to me.

Eventually, of course, she offered several apologies for her behavior. As I did for my thoughtlessness in helping creating the conditions in our marriage in which the affair could occur. An apology should happen somewhere in recovery.

But getting an apology out of a foggy wayward wife, according to Dr. Harley? "Well, that's a trick".

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
M
M
Originally Posted by Harmony2010
Ok reading that thread has totally depressed me. This place is supposed to be helping those that need it. I didn't like that post either which was specifically about ranting at 'waywards'. Oh well.

I am sickened and depressed at the cruelty shown to the wife of the Chilean miner by 2 waywards. Nothing here compares ro the cruelty and meanness of that act. Thankfully we are on a board helping those who need it and that doesn't mean whitewashing the crimes of waywards.

Exposure 101

S
S
I know that poor woman...I just imagine what I went through with my WH and she had it on national tv and OW in her face...So much worse. We know all to well the devastation she is probably going through. It breaks my heart...

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

H
H
It is awful not on the same level but reminds me how brazen OW can be. I remember one night when H was drunk and I had his phone and OW rang and and I picked up and she carried on and asked to speak to him.

BW/FWW 34 (Harmony)
BH/WH 36

Feb 2009 - Affair starts, physical for 9 days on business trip.
Mar 2009 - Separate from H, live alone
Apr 2009 - realise I have made big mistake and attempt reconciliation with H, establish NC with OM.
Jun 2009 - H physical and emotional serial A start right upto present day.
Jul 2009 - NC with OM broken and becomes EA
Mar 2010 - H reads email and discovers A
Jul 2010 - Discover MB
Aug 2010 - Plan A starts
Oct 2010 - Plan B starts
M
M
LOL...yes, OW are extremely brazen. This is part of what eventually blows up the A, it's a turn-off to many MM.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
E
OP Offline
E
Maybe to me it's just the blatant actions that make her a totally fugly gutter queen.

The way she flaunted her status, her sin to the world makes me want to slap that silly fog smile off her face.

The way you behave can certainly influence how attractive you are perceived to be imho.

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
S
S
Originally Posted by peachyisback
Maybe to me it's just the blatant actions that make her a totally fugly gutter queen.

The way she flaunted her status, her sin to the world makes me want to slap that silly fog smile off her face.

The way you behave can certainly influence how attractive you are perceived to be imho.

ITA...and it works both ways too...

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

E
E
I never asked my ex-wife for an apology, and true to form, she felt 100% justified in having her affair, getting her divorce, etc.

So it's now a requirement for me should my wife betray me. She has about a nanosecond to apologize because there is no way I personally would try to win another WW back to me.

I wish those who would well, but like Dr Harley, I too would not attempt to win a wayward wife back.

It would take an apologetic, immediately repentant WW for me to even consider letting her back in my life once I knew of the affair.

But that's just my personal opinion shaped by experience and the position stated publicly by Dr H.

Originally Posted by Doormat_No_More
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex

I'd not say that a non-apologetic recovery is bologna vs. steak & lobster. Dr. Harley is on record as stating that he's seen many fully-recovered marriages where the wayward wife never apologized, but very few fully-recovered marriages where the wayward husband never apologized.

If I had insisted on a full and public apology when my wife was still foggy, it would be likely I'd be talking visitation and child support rather than here typing while my lovely wife is taking a brief nap on the bed next to me.

Eventually, of course, she offered several apologies for her behavior. As I did for my thoughtlessness in helping creating the conditions in our marriage in which the affair could occur. An apology should happen somewhere in recovery.

But getting an apology out of a foggy wayward wife, according to Dr. Harley? "Well, that's a trick".

L
L
It occurs to me that empathy for their victims and genuine remorse on the part of a WS are blocked by the WS's deseprate attemtp to hold onto even a shred of pride. Having done such a terrible thing, they KNOW they have thrown their honor away, but grab at any little thing to convince themselves that they are indeed honorable people.

HUMILIT is what many unrepentent wayward spouses are lacking...a total absence of pride.

So, I would suggest to a WS, "Lose the pride. Committing adultery is nothing about which you should be proud. Humble yourself before your victims."

Seriously, losing the attiude will only HELP your marriage...and YOU in the long run.

As for the miner, I hope that he is missing his wife so badly that looking at his skanky mistress is making him sick.

"Your actions are so loud that I can't hear a word you're saying!"

BW M 44 yrs to still-foggy but now-faithful WH. What/how I post=my biz. Report any perceived violations to the Mods.
M
M
That "bonding moment" with her scuzzy WS and the OW would be even harder to overcome if she had to watch it up close and suffer the humiliation on international TV.

Not to mention sending a clear message to WH, OW and the entire viewing world of "Yes, I will tolerate your girlfriend." THAT is why the BW absolutely should have left the site and refused to be there when he came up - so she would not send that message, even inadvertently, to the two of them or to anyone else.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
S
S
I find the fact that this was even posted fascinating.
Nice dig, SB.

For future FYI, it is actually not "fascinating" when we post about disgusting wayward behavior in the media and we exhibit sympathy for the victim in the case, the BS. Those types of threads are not uncommon here.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
N
N
Contrast the garden implement shrilling to international TV cameras that the BW only wanted him for his money...

to

a quiet, savagely injured woman withdrawing from an incomprehensible situation, saying only that she couldn't be there because "I'm a decent woman."

I wish I could give her a hug.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
N
N
I left here for a while and posted on a forum which was more focused on personal healing from my A because that is what I needed for that time. I didn't need to hear another syllable about how horrible I am or how much pain my H is in. I needed "permission" to focus on me and what is broken in me that I would inflict the A on ME -- when you are the WS, ME is a four letter word. It felt to me that no matter what I posted here, my motives and veracity were going to be called into question. Not by any means by everyone, but by enough posters that I gave it up.
~ SB

Wowzers! I really do hope you stick around, SB. The bad news is you're way foggy, but the good news is if you stay, post, and learn, the fog will dissipate.

In fact, I challenge you to stay for 6 months, then go back and read your early posts. Once you get out of the foggarbage, you too will be able to recognize even a whiff of it wafting around.

Bonding moment, schmonding schmoment. An unrepentant wayward will make anything a bonding moment. If the BW had been there, it would still have been a bonding moment for the wayward, because OW lurved him enough to be there even with the BW. Instead, the BW is very sensibly withdrawing from an untenable situation, and hopefully the A will implode on its own.

Waywards can turn cesspools into bonding moments. It proves nothing except that they're delusional.

All the best to you and your BH. I really do hope you stay long enough to earn your F.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation