Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2436391 10/19/10 07:57 PM
K
OP Offline
K
So, with November coming up, so also comes up NaNoWriMo.

Are any of you fellow MBers planning on participating? smile

Hate to clog up the OT, but I figured some of us might like a project to work on.

For those of you not familiar with the concept, Nanowrimo is National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
karmasrose #2436404 10/19/10 08:40 PM
W
W
I think about doing this every year, but it seems like it's never the right time for me. Right now, I'm working on finishing up this novel I'm already writing and I just don't want to have to put it away for a month. Maybe next year.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
writer1 #2436405 10/19/10 08:51 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Well you don't have to, honestly. They say the best cure for writing a novel and not getting tired of it is to write something else, anything else...and this could help.

But I still need to decide between two ideas...hmmm...

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

karmasrose #2436408 10/19/10 08:57 PM
W
W
Here's what I used to do when I had more than one idea and I couldn't decide which one to work on.

I would write down each of the ideas on a piece of paper and put them in a bowl. Then, I would close my eyes and choose one. I kept doing this until I finally pulled out an idea that I didn't feel like tossing back into the bowl. Then I knew that was the one that I had really wanted to work on all along.

writer1 #2436411 10/19/10 09:02 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Well, one of the ideas is one I was planning on.

The other, was one that came up recently, that I had a burst of creative thought about. I started reading Dante Alighieri's "Inferno"...

Hrm. I'll try your idea.

Or I could try the INSANITY method and try both, but that would never work.

karmasrose #2436412 10/19/10 09:04 PM
T
T
I am doing NaNo!!

Tawandabelle #2436413 10/19/10 09:05 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Really? Have you got your idea set up or are you just going to wing it?

karmasrose #2436414 10/19/10 09:07 PM
T
T
I'm poking fun at the eccentricities of my southern heritage. the novel is called "You Need Lipstick: Memoirs of a Southern Woman's Daughter." It opens with a woman who is planning her mother's high society funeral - her mom was killed in an unfortunate ball-washer malfunction at the country club.

Tawandabelle #2436415 10/19/10 09:10 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I was going to either do a dragon novel or a rewrite of the Inferno...

Decisions, decisions....

Your idea sounds so much more planned out than mine!

karmasrose #2436435 10/19/10 10:15 PM
V
V
Ugh, you girls have more motivation in discussing your ideas than I have exhibited in the last 4+ months of saying "Oh, I should write a book..."

As penance, I said I would write 20 pages this week. A novel over a month, though, sounds nicer now.

(Because, you know, the motivation doesn't have to kick in yet - I have 'til Nov. 1st! :D)

Last edited by Mrs_Vanilla; 10/19/10 10:16 PM. Reason: Hey, where's my smiley?!

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
V_planifolia #2436438 10/19/10 10:24 PM
W
W
Oh, you guys are really making me want to do this now.

But I'm so close to finishing this novel.

Ugh.

writer1 #2436446 10/19/10 10:46 PM
W
W
Anyone interested in writing should check out the Poets & Writers Speakeasy forum. I've been a member for years.

http://www.pw.org/speakeasy/

Lots of great advice and support and they generally have a thread dedicated to NaNoWriMo every November.

writer1 #2436532 10/20/10 09:02 AM
T
T
If anyone wants to know my NaNo screen names the mods can give you my email.

Tawandabelle #2436607 10/20/10 12:32 PM
M
M
Not participating in NaNo, but I am back at work on a novel after not writing for something like four years.

Best advice I know: Do *not* put your novel aside and work on another one because you are "bored" with what you're writing! You will only end up with a drawer full of unfinished manuscripts that way, and nobody can publish half-done work.

If you're getting bored with your work, it's often because you are spending wayyy too much time rewriting and rewriting the same chapters and scenes over and over again.

Try this:
Sketch a scene-by-scene outline of the whole thing, so you know you have a beginning, a middle and an end with enough conflict to sustain it.

Then write your whole draft straight through. Secret: Do NOT go back and look at what you wrote earlier! Just keep going until you have the entire draft.

Then start rewriting. Since you didn't look at the earlier chapters while doing the draft, they will seem fresh and new to you and you can easily see what you want to fix or change. And you won't be bored with it at all.

good luck - I did finish and sell 9 novels this way -

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
Mulan #2436612 10/20/10 12:44 PM
T
T
This is something posted on another forum. I am a "just write it" writer. I have to keep writing and get the story out. I go back and edit later. I was also the student in HS who wrote her term paper and THEN made the note cards and bibliography cards.

Here are a few things I do...but bear in mind that it was only in being adopted by wonderful, structured, type A parents that I am not in a Bohemian skirt playing the guitar on a street corner during the day and reciting poetry in performance art style at night, so some of my writing "prompts" are.....weird. There, I said it

1. "method writing" - you know method acting? All that "BE the ice cream cone" and "what's my motivation" stuff? I do that. I become the character. If I can't figure out what to write I let me character go off on a tangent. I let her yell at me. Sometimes I let her say stuff I wish I could say to all kinds of people. Of course, that may never make it into a book, but being someone in the book gets me so immersed in taking on their mannerisms I forget that "I can't think of anything good to write."

2. Writing what wouldn't work. If I can't figure out what should happen, then I just write all the stuff that's way too ridiculous to ever happen. Sort of the Gregory House process of elimination method of diagnosis.

3. Write something different. As soon as I finished my manuscript, He remains Faithful, part of my brain was already writing the sequel, His Ways Are Higher. Then I got stuck. I just couldn't write about Kelly/Mike/Megan/ blah blah blah characters anymore. So I joined Nanowrimo and started with an idea about a bipolar serial killer - not usually my kind of story. I'll probably never finish that because I don't have the time nor desire to get a master's in law enforcement and criminology. But it was different enough from the other that it was a fun distraction

4. Forget that publishers exist. Seriously. I have been writing since I could hold a pencil, and though my most secretest biggest dearest dream was always to be a "real writer," I write a whole lot better when I'm NOT trying to figure out who might want to publish it one day and how many rejections I will get before it happens. In fact, one of the funniest things I have ever written is an essay/letter/poem where I, um, thumbed my nose at anyone who might be too ill-informed to realized just how brilliant I am. It shed that whiny, nobody will ever like it thing. Anyway, I am a Real Writer. I have the flash drives, CD-R's and 5 1/4" floppy disks to prove it. neener neener neener!

5. Read Emily Dickinson, Erma Bombeck, Judy Blume, and J K Rowling. Seriously, these people are all very different from each other, and they all have influenced the way I express myself. Or, if you really want to shred tissues or poke yourself in the eye with a fork.....read Jane Eyre (I love that book)

6. Write, just write. Channel your inner James Joyce - AKA don't worry about it following any rational structure or logical time-line. Structure is for, like, responsible grownups and junk!

There. The above wisdom will buy you an extra small skinny mocha-chino at Starbucks, providing you also have 5.00.

Tawandabelle #2436625 10/20/10 01:22 PM
V
V
I am already feeling more motivated. And, Mulan, I am very much a victim of the half-finished drawer, (even if most of it is in my head).

AND I am getting bogged down in re-reading and editing and I haven't even gotten to the meat of the story yet!

Aw, y'all are giving me ambition! hug

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
V_planifolia #2436636 10/20/10 01:43 PM
N
N
Ahem--note screenname. Am now on year number 8 and I love it. Every year now around November, a new idea for a plot spontaneously appears and we're off and running! Yet another crazy novella making its way to the Drawer of Unfinished Novels. High five, Luri!

W
W
I think, with my current book, I have just been stuck in the re-writing phase for too long, mostly because I had a baby 2 years ago after not having any little children in the house for a very long time, and that just threw everything off for me. But the end is so close I can smell it and I really just want to finish this book and get it sent off so I can move onto something new. However, I doubt I'll be ready to do that by November.

Oh, and I LOVE Julia Cameron, especially "The Right to Write" and "The Sound of Paper." She has some great writing prompts that have worked for me, especially Morning Pages (basically 3 pages written in long-hand every morning when you first wake up, a sort of free-writing, brain-dump thing).

writer1 #2436755 10/20/10 05:39 PM
K
OP Offline
K
For two straight years now I have said that I would participate, and I have done nothing.

This year, I will do it.

And I WILL finish!!!!

karmasrose #2436762 10/20/10 05:55 PM
T
T
karma! karma! karma!

if you're really hard up for a plot, eat some really spicy food late at night and then write down your dreams as soon as you wake up.....weird stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation