Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Over the weekend my computer worked just fine. No funny windows and my brower was keeping track of my hisotry. As of Monday, this has changed. My browser no longer keeps my history, it is always empty. I have also had several windows pop up that say I need to restart my computer to complete an install or update of software and I've not added or updated anything recently. Other people do have access to computer like my kids so it is possible one of them did something but I thought maybe and expert or two could offer advice. Could something have been added? I don't have anything to hide so on one level I don't care but I'd still like to know. Thanks.

M
M
The update messages you're getting could be Windows automatic updates. That would be my guess (I generally don't install those, btw. Sometimes they wreak havoc on a computer, depending on what they are.)

As far as your browser, you should check your internet options (click on 'tools') and see how it's set. Go to 'browser history' and click on 'settings.' That will tell you when it's set to dump your history. Look at the bottom of the tab where it says how many days to keep your history.

As far as settings go, it sounds like someone has changed the browser history (kids, maybe?) I think malware could do it, but malware generally goes after redirecting your pages.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 10/26/10 11:19 AM. Reason: clarity

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

C
C
What is the specific message for update? Normally non-malware software will tell you the specific software that needs updating. If you could give that I might be able to help. Also, before restarting your computer I would run a virus check. If it is malware it may only be loaded in memory and virus software should be able to remove it. It is the reboot that causes it to be loaded into configuration files.

Yes kids are wonderful for finding all the crap-doodle that is on the internet. LOL! I have my own computer because of this.

Hopefully you have virus software installed. I've been working on computers since 1982, and I personally use AVAST Home Edition. It is free.

M
M
Hopefully you have virus software installed. I've been working on computers since 1982, and I personally use AVAST Home Edition. It is free.

I'm an Avast user as well. I'd recommend it.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Originally Posted by lostlovinfeeling
Over the weekend my computer worked just fine. No funny windows and my brower was keeping track of my hisotry. As of Monday, this has changed.

My browser no longer keeps my history, it is always empty.

Which browser do you use? Someone may have enabled the privacy options.

I have also had several windows pop up that say I need to restart my computer to complete an install or update of software and I've not added or updated anything recently.

Looks like someone enabled Windows Automatic Updates on your PC - a VERY GOOD approach to securing your PC. NOT updating your PC leaves it open to attacks against unpatched components of its operating system (OS). Some of these can be taken advantage of by simply visiting the wrong website.

Other people do have access to computer like my kids so it is possible one of them did something but I thought maybe and expert or two could offer advice. Could something have been added? I don't have anything to hide so on one level I don't care but I'd still like to know. Thanks.

You should NEVER let anyone else use your computer under your account profile. If the kids need to use it, create one for them, and make sure that their account is not a member of the administrators group. That should restrict their ability to make changes significantly. And making sure that your PC is up to date with all of the necessary hotfixes makes sure that your PC will not be compromised if they choose to try opening dubious sites.

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss

I'm an Avast user as well. I'd recommend it.

I've used both Avast and AVG. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials, available free from their website. It just works. And I've been working on Intel-based PCs since DOS 2.1 :-)

ManInMotion
===========
C
C
@Man - would you believe I started with trash-80 model IIIs. Then I graduated to mainframes in the US Navy (East Coast).

M
M
Originally Posted by clark_kent
@Man - would you believe I started with trash-80 model IIIs. Then I graduated to mainframes in the US Navy (East Coast).

Timex Sinclair ZX-81, followed by Commodore C-64, BBC Micro (which was actually pretty good for the time), then to the first set of DEC Vaxen produced. Fiddled with IBM PCs for awhile, but only really moved to PCs when I got tired of trying to do what I wanted to do in FORTRAN and waiting for my job to finish in the queue smile. We probably started in the IT world around the same time...

ManInMotion
===========
M
M
I use www.comodo.com and their free product called comodo internet security suite! comes with a firewall .. and antivirus! .. never had a problem with my PC ever .. other than usual PC slowdowns etc .. but then i use www.ccleaner.com and its free program called ccleaner to fix up my registry and POOF runs soo much smoother again!

Oh and my first PC was a vic 20 ... then a comodore 64! I htink i even remember the command line to load disks for it still .. load"*",8,1 lol

C
C
load"*",8,1
Commodore File commands

C
C
My first DOS PC actually would be a Z-80 Zenith with a 25Mb hard drive. Saw my first 1Gb hard drive in 1988. Yeah 1988. The size of a standard desktop today. Thanks @Lost for the memory lane.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation