Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
Originally Posted by Celtic
WW parents know everything. One coming for surprise visit soon. WW does not know. What can I expect?

What do you mean by "soon"? Today?

As far as what to expect, you can expect some fireworks from WW if she's not aware that you told your in-laws. And that's fine. You stay calm and let her know that you will do whatever it takes to save your M.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
H
Fireworks is an understatement. She will explode in anger. She�ll tell you it was none of their business and that you shouldn�t have dragged them into your problems. She�ll tell you that you just ruined any chance you had to save things and that it is now really over.

She�ll accuse you of betraying her trust. She�ll tell you she can�t trust you. She�ll say that you are horrible.

Your response to all of this is to say, �I will do what I need to do to save this marriage.�

If she asks how this is going to help, the answer is simple, �If there was nothing wrong with what you�ve been doing, you wouldn�t be upset. But I�m bringing this affair to light and will do what I need to save this marriage. That starts with letting everyone know you�re having an affair.�

She won�t care or understand. Some here might even disagree that you should say that. But that�s simply stating the truth.

The key for you is to not second guess. We�re telling you exactly how she�s going to react. Why? Because we�ve seen it a million times.

S
S
She will react. And the bigger the reaction the bigger the hit. Try not to laugh when you see we were right.

I DO believe that you should say what HTLDs posted.

Let exposure do its job.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
Originally Posted by Scotland
She will react. And the bigger the reaction the bigger the hit. Try not to laugh when you see we were right.

I DO believe that you should say what HTLDs posted.

Let exposure do its job.

Agreed. Especially try not to laugh at the irony when she says she can "no longer trust you" - that's a good one, considering the circumstances. crazy

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
Celtic Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks. I can't discuss timing online. May disappear for a while.

M
M
Thanks. I can't discuss timing online. May disappear for a while.

You could always change your screen name if you need to. Your posts are anonymous enough that they blend in to others when viewed by an untrained eye, KWIM? We would know who you are.

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
Celtic Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Exposure complete, WW contained but furious. So what do I do when/if she asks me to leave?

B
B
Exposure complete, WW contained but furious. So what do I do when/if she asks me to leave?

Offer her a cookie.

Do not leave your home or even your bed! If she feels separation is in order, then she can be the one to sleep on the couch or move out.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
P
P

FROM Carrot/stick thread which is *linked* in my sig line.

Not apologizing for exposure or speaking the truth in a kind yet direct way.

Exposure makes the infidel furious

stay calm
breathe

no one can stay furious forever ... being furious is exhausting ... consumes a lot of energy ... let the furious infidel fume and exhaust his/her self

YOU stay cool

You will hear:

"That's it. We are never going to stay married after what YOU did."
"I am moving out now, thanks to you."
"You are getting OP in trouble at home."
"Now our kids will have a broken home thanks to you."

blah blah blah

You respond to all the raging comments: I am still holding out hope for our marriage.

You stay calm

You don't argue

You don't explain

You do not preach

You do not educate

~and~ you do NOT apologize for standing up for truth and marriage and keeping your family intact

YOU calmly re-state your belief that there is hope for the marriage ....

if things get out of hand ... excuse yourself and go for a walk or a drive ...

remember ... exposure makes the already foggy spouse act insane ... but it is temporary

*LINK* to Men, don't leave your home

M
M

The less you do, the better. Do not return anger for anger. Don't let her bait you. Return her fogbabble with serenity. Tell her that you intend to fight for your M. Ask her what she would like for dinner.

Do NOT leave that house.

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
Celtic Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Am I now in Plan A?

Here is where we are... WW parent at our home, I am out of town on business for a day. WW pleasant in public but barely speaking in private. She still says she does not want me there, that she feels trapped in the marriage and needs to save herself from a loveless future.

I am hanging in and taking it, doing everything I can (that she will let me) at home for her and parent. Worried what will happen when they leave.

So again, am I now in Plan A officially?

J
J
Good job, remember it will take time to change her thinking......it's worth at least the effort.......
Good Luck

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
C
Celtic Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello. WW has agreed to indiv therapy reluctantly to work on issues. Are there any specific therapeutic techniques you have seen that help lift the fog. A relative with some knowlege of psychotherapy reccommended I find someone with specialization in REBT or Reality therapy.

Second, WW only wants to spend time with a couple of female friends. Better than OM! But not with me... suggestions?

M
M
Hello. WW has agreed to indiv therapy reluctantly to work on issues. Are there any specific therapeutic techniques you have seen that help lift the fog. A relative with some knowlege of psychotherapy reccommended I find someone with specialization in REBT or Reality therapy.

Second, WW only wants to spend time with a couple of female friends. Better than OM! But not with me... suggestions?

Why is WW doing IC? What issues is she attempting to resolve that requires individual counseling? This is your marriage - your partnership. I would suggest you work on this together, as partners.

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
Originally Posted by maritalbliss

Why is WW doing IC? What issues is she attempting to resolve that requires individual counseling? This is your marriage - your partnership. I would suggest you work on this together, as partners.

Agree, with emphasis. IC... is only as horrendous and life destroying as the person licensed to do it.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Are there any specific therapeutic techniques you have seen that help lift the fog.

There is only one cure for lifting the fog and that is exposure! laugh

C
Celtic Offline OP
OP Offline
C
We are getting ready to start MC again hopefully with a Christian counselor. There are some issues including the A fog but going beyond it that need to be looked at in IC...

C
Celtic Offline OP
OP Offline
C
See prior posts. Exposure has happened.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation